Will Episode 8 copy Empire Strikes Back?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Abonis
Some reviewer online pointed out that the Force Awakens copied a lot from the original movie. That being said, does anyone think the next film will be like Empire, with Rey trained by Luke, Poe or Finn captured by the First Order and Rey rushing off before her training is finished and then faces Kylo Ren and is unprepared for it.

Ushgarak
I think it will go for the 'bad guys doing well' cliffhanger, but I'd be surprised if they actively copy the formula again- aside from anything else, ESB was a rather distinct film.

They'll go their own way I think.

Darth Banus
There is def going to be an "i am your father" moment either way.

Agusto Pinochet
Yes. Episode 7 was basically a copy of A New Hope.

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by Agusto Pinochet
Yes. Episode 7 was basically a copy of A New Hope.

Desert planet, super weapon, secret inside droid.

Other than that, the plot was completely different.

Bentley
Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
Desert planet, super weapon, secret inside droid.

Other than that, the plot was completely different.

Character kidnapped into the imperial base, other characters getting inside with said character, having to sneak with ships to destroy said base, old time hero killed during the intervention by the one he raised, closing your eyes at the critical time to trust the force. The depth of the coincidences is very striking.

Sure, the plots are still different (the new movie has many more cluthered and clumsily exposed plot points) but it's more than a few locations and set ups making them similar. The depth of

coolmovies
ohh for God' s sake next you will say its a remake of the OT

queeq
The questions people will come up with...

I doubt anyone will be froze in carbonite.

AuraAngel
Well Rey's story is certainly going to resemble Luke's on Dagobah and, because we need something for the rest of the cast to do, it is likely Finn and Poe will continue fighting the First Order. Unless Finn wants to not do that and instead opts to chase after Rey.

The real question is what they'll do with Ben. Since they've blown their loads about what Ben's deal is already, they've got a couple options. They can show his training as a way to parallel Rey's or they can do that offscreen and continue to draw the Vader parallels by having him fight the Resistance. They could have him get the map to Luke which leads to something new or they could have him capture Finn for torture or the like(as opposed to just killing him). They can also foreshadow Starkiller Mk. 2 since we know it is coming(or something even bigger!) and they may as well.

Either way expect a lot of clutter.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
Some reviewer online pointed out that the Force Awakens copied a lot from the original movie.

You really needed a reviewer to point that out to you?

That being said, does anyone think the next film will be like Empire, with Rey trained by Luke, Poe or Finn captured by the First Order and Rey rushing off before her training is finished and then faces Kylo Ren and is unprepared for it.

LOL Aside from the training, I don't think so. Being an exact imitation of ANH is the biggest criticism of this move. So I'm sure they won't repeat that. I expect some Original ideas from Rian Johnson.

Bardock42
I'd say TFA didn't really have a great happy ending. The First Order got a pretty decent strike on the Republic from the look of it. Finn wounded, Han dead.....not sure I'd call this a great victory. Much less so than in the OT, where the status quo and therefore the stakes were much different.

Bentley
I hope Rey dies in the next movie without any of her abilities getting explained at all. Imagine how people would crazy speculate about her character up to the third film!

Lord Lucien
Some reviewer online pointed out that the Force Awakens copied a lot from the original movie. That being said, does anyone think the next film will be like Empire, with Rey trained by Luke, Poe or Finn captured by the First Order and Rey rushing off before her training is finished and then faces Kylo Ren and is unprepared for it. bxU2eqZtYmc

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.