The Matrix.... Birth-life-death

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

redhotchilis2k
big grin I was reading a magazine a few months ago about the matrix trilogy, and there was a long (pretty boring) interview with the Wasowski Brothers. They said that the first film is supposed to be about birth, the second film about life and the third and final film in the triloy about DEATH!

This made me think. When you think of birth you instantly form a picture in your mind of baby lambs or baby humans or somthing along those basic lines, but maybe the writers of The Matrix meant it to have a far deeper meaning than that.

1) What could birth be reffering to? (possibly the freeing of the people from inside the matrix or the birth of THE ONE (neo))

2) What could life be reffering to? (the life of ZION? or the life of THE ONE?)

3) What could death be reffering to? (the death of human beings? the death of the matrix or the death of the one?)

SOMEONE GIVE ME AN OPINION... PLEASE!!! big grin Happy Dance Happy Dance

Ushgarak
Well, it is entirely possible Neo isn't going to make the distance.

redhotchilis2k
TRUE TRUE, it is probable that he won't make the distance and if he didn't then the mtrix would be a better more daring film for it. But maybe the birth life death thing is about more than one person orr object or emotion? maybe it is a generalisation. I DUNNO messed
MORE INPUT??? big grinbig grin:dane:Happy Dance

redhotchilis2k
PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK??? SOMEONE MUST HAVE A BETTER IDEA (NOT JUST ABOUT THE BIRTH LIFE DEATH THING BUT ABOUT THE WHOLE STORYLINE OF THE MATRIX?!?!)

SOMEONE POST SOMETHING big grinbig grinbig grinANCE:big grinANCE:

The Rat
The 'birth' bit is clear. In the first film Neo is firstly 'born' into the real world and dies and is born again at the end of the film.

I think that the 'life' bit is shown in the second one with the rave bit at the beginning, as well as the fact that the film is about choice - something you do many times during your life. There are no doubt other examples but I can't hink of them a the moment.

In my opinion the next one will be about death because Neo will fail - If he is just a glitch in a program then there is nothing to stop the Architect just wiping the Matrix and doing something else. I'm pessimisic about the result of the next film.

This is all speculation of course.

redhotchilis2k
I agree with you about the birth and the death aspect but am totally against what you have said about the life being the rave. I believe the rave was the most pointless part of either of the two matrix films! There must be a better explanation of the LIFE part. Possibly it is because the second film shows life on ZION?

So THE RAT wot do you think of that? I dunno, these are all just calculated guesses... big grinbig grinHappy DanceHappy Dance

The Rat
I agree actually. it was just the first thing I came up with - I need to see the film again.

redhotchilis2k
Yeh, i think we all need to see the film again. I think maybe (beacause there are only two people posting in this room) that we don't have enough scope, NEW IDEAS ANY1??????????

OH WELL, HOPEFULLY SOME GENIUS CAN COME UP WITH SOMETHING BETTER... big grinbig grinHappy DanceHappy Dance

TheIvan
Death probably means that Neo is going to loose power on the end. Something like Highlander, he will become just normal man

redhotchilis2k
Hopefully he will become a normal man, all this supperman stuff is beggining to make him super un-cool. He has no suspense about him becasue he can now do anything! big grinbig grinHappy DanceHappy Dance

Vico
How deep in to this to you want to go? Given that Neo has "died" several times - we know that life is not about "life" of a single idea, peson or entity - it mustt be about culture or species or ...

redhotchilis2k
neo has only dies ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! big grinbig grinHappy DanceHappy Dance

ProveAll
Hello all,

I have not committed myself to just how everything is going to turn out in the Matrix series, but I do have some thoughts on the idea of birth, life and death.

It should be noted that the word "Matrix" has its origin from at least the 16th century from the Latin. It derives from "mater"-mother. The primary meaning was the "womb". Generally it had to do with where something "originates, develops, takes shape, or is contained" (Funk and Wagnalls Standard Encyclopedic Dictionary, 1974). So it can be seen that when Neo is set free, he is begotten from the matrix (the womb).

In Reloaded it appears the Architect reveals 3 matrices, the two which were failures and the one in which Neo now operates, where he is said to be the 6th version. According to the Architect Neo's purpose is to "return to the source, allowing a temporary dissemination of the code carr, reinserting the prime program."

continued . . .

ProveAll
Someone did mention elsewhere that life is about the choices we make. At the juncture where Neo is talking with the Architect, he apparently has life and death in his hands with the choice of which door to take Someone did mention elsewhere that life is about the choices we make. At the juncture where Neo is talking with the Architect, he apparently has life and death in his hands with the choice of which door to take. Now if what the Architect was saying was true (IF) then it appears that Neo deviated from what the previous 5 chose. The Architect said that if Neo chose the door on his left, the one he in fact moved toward, then it would lead him "back to the matrix, to , and to the end of your species."

continued . . .

ProveAll
It appears that what Neo does with his life/choice will affect the life of Trinity and the human family. Trinity does in fact appear to die, as the Architect said she would, "she is going to die, and there is nothing that you can do to stop it." The interesting thing is that Neo brings her back to life. The action of Neo may or may not be looked upon as selfish, but realize that IF what the Architect said was true, then making the choice he did showed that he believed that he could affect what happened to Trinity and ultimately to all of mankind hooked to the matrix. Think of it this way, if Neo could "resurrect" Trinity, then what about Zion??

continued . . .

ProveAll
POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR REVOLUTIONS

I read somewhere that by the end of Revolutions that Smith will not be the only one who can replicate himself. So with this in mind, what about the possibility (pure speculation) that Neo has more to do with saving those in Zion and those plugged into the Matrix then we realize.

Now what about the idea of death in Revolutions. Well, what is death? What does "decease" mean? It means to "go away" (from Old French and Latin). Death is often pictured as an exodus, separation or departure from something. It reminds me of the scripture in Genesis 35:18 which says, "And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin. "

continued . . .

ProveAll
Perhaps the death has to do with Neo, maybe not. Maybe it has to do with the separation/departure of Neo, Zion, mankind or all the above from one or more Matrices (remember there appear to be three and it has not been said that they were destroyed.)

These are just some of my thoughts. Any feedback would be welcomed.

David Race (ProveAll)

(937)832-3971
[email protected]

proveallthings.8m.com

redhotchilis2k
heck dude, you really are wired up to this kinda stuff aren't you. I found that little essay of yours very enjoyable but remain open minded about the possiblilities. Oh well, i will read through your essay again to see what else i can make of it! big grinbig grinHappy DanceHappy Dance

Ushgarak
Could you not make multiple posts in a row in future, please? Just do them all in one.

ProveAll
I would but the message length exceeded 1000 characters, unless there is a way to do this.

Thanks,

David Race(ProveAll)

Ushgarak
I am fairly sure you needn't have split it up QUITE so much!

turin
well what about death being the death of machines/man kinds opression. I like the idea of the birth being the awakening of neo to the real world and life being the whole deal about choice and how the machines thought that choice was predetermined. now death? i dont think it will be the death of a character (though it could be) i think it will be the death of an ideal, thought, or way of life. or it could be death of human race, who knows.

Ushgarak
Personally I think it is a statement it is easy to read too much into. The story starts in The Matrix, continues in Reloaded and ends in Revolution; everything that happens in those films is realted to that starting, continuing and ending and I do not think it is much more complex than that.

turin
well the best answer is always the most simple so you got it on that point. but i think the wachowski bros are a little more creative then that and probably wrote a lot of birth, life, and death into it. but then again it can just be people reading into it more then was designed and making it more comlicated, which we are all good at.

ProveAll
Perhaps, but I didn't want to cut mid thought/sentence.

Thanks,

David Race(ProveAll)

ProveAll
Of course the statement made by the Wachowskis about birth-life-death may be simple, but I figure a forum like this is the place to toss around ideas and speculation. It gives us something to think about and a chance to examine what we feel is closer to the conclusion of the Matrix.

I had a good time doing this at work (mail processor) last night with a fellow Matrix fan.

Regardless of how serious we take our ideas, or how dogmatic or open we are, it will be another few months before we know for sure. (unless someone comes across more SPOILERS).

Take care,

David Race (ProveAll)

"Enter the Mailstream"
USPS

Tevesh
Well, i also heard the birth, life and death. this is how i interperted it.

In the first movie, neo is "reborn" not once, but twice. He is reborn into the real world...the pink capsule is like a womb, so to say. He is then reborn again after Trinity kisses him. The 2nd time, he is reborn as the one

The second movie, the life, is more or less the choices he makes and the results that will follow. The entire movie was a sort of a quest. His quest to "find the source." The third movie is what is left now

revolutions will more than likely result in his death. my feeling is that he will die killing smith. and so therefore he'll stop the "virus" from making the matrix crap on itself and die.

I say he'll die because supposedly this is a story of a classic greek hero.

redhotchilis2k
Good idea, but where did you get your classic greek hero part from, that is kinda confusing. Anyway, it is good to have so much interest in this thread and I think that the birth life death part of the matrix could turn out to be more important than we can imagine, it could turn out to be the key to the trilogy, any thought on that? big grinbig grinHappy DanceHappy Dance

alaba
the birth life death thing could mean that the first one is about neo's birth, the life thing could be trinity's ressurection and then death, we'd have to wait for revolutions

JKozzy
Where did all of these members go anyway????? Get bored after Reloaded or something...?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/fish.gif

raynor
maybe

Verity
The people we love die, once they have completed their task...That would be horrible to see!....Trinity, Neo and Morpheus dead?http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/crybaby.gif

JediHDM
Question: Have they completed their task, or their PURPOSE?!?!?! (dun dun dun...)

MC Mike
Oh, Mr Jedi!!!!!!

I've got PROOF you sent lightning at my house!

MC Mike
"yeah, ok, mr (lightning bolts mikes house)...no violence, none whatsoever...yeah, RIGHT!!!! IMPOTENT FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

THERE JEDI!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! IN THE "What is Real" thread, PAGE 2 !!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

JediHDM
ok, this is getting out of hand...can you not read english?!?!?! Get over yourself...

davetheonemende
Birth would definitley be defined as neo in the gooey womb (as seen in M1) What happened to him in the end was resurrection.
In M2 Reloaded; Life would have to be Agent Smith who we thought to be dead from M1 who is very much alive (he's been reloaded) and the movie begins with him wanting to thank (or curse) Neo for this. Trinity is alo brought back to life by Neo "the one" at the end.
Perhaps M3 Revolutions will be the Death of Agent Smith!! There's an idea?

burlyman
well.... i think its referring to the end of the film
m1 - birth of the one (neo resurect)
m2 - giving life (trinity resurect)
m3 - hmmm... (smith resurect??)

also all three are at the time of a change of code, at all three moments we see the code (im just speculating for the third one) stick out tongue

m1 - he is now fully the one
m2 - the whole split mind thing
m3 - hmmm...

TH3_0N3
maybe death is the death of the machines and life is the part where zion is free and birth of trinity and neos baby boy?

xemir
Yea they talked about birth-life-death on that mtv special. Also I belive neo will not die.

forumcrew
death of control.. the system...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.