LISA: the Painful RPG

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NemeBro
"The miserable journey of a broken man."

An underrated indie gem I only recently heard of and played released in late 2014.

1KXi48OobbU

1-kT5SDifCU

In LISA: the Painful RPG you play as the bald, aging, troubled martial artist Brad Armstrong, whose adopted daughter, Buddy, has been kidnapped. Buddy is the last-living human female in the post-apocalyptic wasteland of Olathe, so Brad is pulled into a bloody quest to get his daughter back before the warlords of Olathe can have their way with Buddy, triggering a horrible war in the process. Along the way Brad can recruit colorful characters into his party to help him survive the psychopaths, perverts, and mutants along the way.

LISA is probably the darkest, most depressing game I have ever played, with a tearjerking story, a protagonist of questionable morals, and themes like domestic abuse, rape, drug addiction, and depression. It's also one of the funniest, with the humor being warped and often black, but the contrast with this crapsack setting makes it all the funnier. The combat's also okay as far as menu combat RPGs go.

Oh, and it takes a heavy influence from shit as diverse as Fist of the North Star, MOTHER (much like Undertale, a similar, but much lighter in tone game), martial arts, and professional wrestling.

I'd recommend LISA for any fan of oldschool MOTHER-esque RPGs or just people who appreciate stories in games in general. Pick up both The Painful and its DLC, The Joyful, and if you want, download The First (the prequel to these games) for free.

Tzeentch
No one cares.

Nephthys
I think Jim Sterling did some voice acting in this.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Nephthys
I think Jim Sterling did some voice acting in this. Seems unlikely, considering all the dialogue is text-based. stick out tongue

With that said, as a kickstarter backer's reward he is in the game as an NPC who is in a sort of sidequest. A few people are in the game as NPCs, but he is probably by far the most prominent.

Jmanghan
I knew you were gonna make a thread for this after mentioning that it didn't have one.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.