Superman vs Iron Man

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nusa105
Round 1: New 52 Superman vs Extremis Iron Man
Round 2: New 52 Superman vs Marvel NOW! Iron Man
Round 3: Pre-New 52 Superman vs Extremis Iron Man

Win by Death or KO

Tony has 2 weeks of prep time to get his equipment and resources together

Clark has no prep at all

Battle in Metropolis

Who wins?

spetznaz
Simple question, complex answer.

A. Tony Stark is one of a handful of human characters in Marvel and DC that, given sufficient prep time, can do wonders that are beyond the ken of human comic characters. The likes of Bruce Wayne, T'Challa and Tony are capable of astounding feats given prep time. Thus, this is my first answer - given 2 weeks of prep time, Tony Stark is indeed capable of trouncing all the 3 battles given. He would win against the comic book Superman, and arguably do it with ease. Given prep.

However, I did say it was a complex answer, so here's the second variation.

B. As I mentioned, Tony would win all 3 battles given prep time against comic book Superman. However, this is KMC. Here we assume that all characters perform at their best, that they use all the powers and abilities within their normal power set, and they will not be holding back. Additionally, there is no PIS and CIS, thus a character like Superman would not simply stand toe to toe and trade blows, and a character like Iron Man will not have Infinity Gauntlet or the war tech of the entire Shiar race. Thus, if we assume that from the moment the fight commences Superman goes all out without holding back, and that Iron Man is not using some CIS/PIS tech that turns our sun into a red giant, the surrounding ground into kryptonite, and fire blast bolts from satellites that are imbued with Dr Strange's magic following their interaction at the Illuminati. Thus would be are KMC battle, not a Comic Book story trying to have Stark win. In a KMC battle, Superman is an absolute beast, and Stark would only have one chance ....immediately taking out Superman with the very first shot. If that one shot misses or is not sufficient, the Superman goes all out and Tony gets killed within seconds.

Thus, a complex answer.

I could write ways in which Stark could kill Clark with prep time. However, my clone could also write ways in which Clark could kill Stark. The ruling factor though is simple ...Stark ABSOLUTELY HAS TO kill Clark in the opening shot, because if he does not Clark goes into the KMC version of Superman, and if he does not hold back then Stark is dead.

spetznaz
Btw ...if I was to do a listing of comic characters that would be absolute horrors if they existed in the real world, a whole list would be possible. Some evil, others resourceful, some monstrous. Superman, when he's not holding back, is one of the monstrous ones. There are many characters that could easily destroy a Superman that's not holding back, but virtually all of those are at a very high level. The likes of Batman and Iron Man would be like gnats before a god in a KMC battle, even though in comics we see Batman punching Superman (be it wearing a kryptonite ring, wearing some suit, or juiced up with a special version of Venom), and I'm sure a comic could be written showing Stark taking out Sentry (a Supes analogue).

Not holding back though, the likes of Superman and Sentry are veritable gods. A suit would not help, unless PIS/CIS is introduced.

carver9
2 weeks of prep is too much. Tony with less prep than that nearly took out the Phoenix.

DarkSaint85
Giving Tony prep to build a buster suit would just be bad news for Tony, tbh.

spetznaz
Originally posted by carver9
2 weeks of prep is too much. Tony with less prep than that nearly took out the Phoenix.

Hence my two answers, and why I said it was a complicated response. With two weeks, someone like Stark (and other humans of his intellect and resources) can do amazing things ....like almost take out the Phoenix Force (as you say ...I've personally not seen that, but I believe you). However, in KMC, a situation like Stark being a respectable adversary for the PF would never arise, since it would involve PIS/CIS and that is not allowed here (or at least wasn't in the old days).

Example - if you allow me to use my favorite PIS/CIS character, Wolverine, we have seen him face off against people who are (by far) his superiors, and in the comics he has a good showing. However, on KMC such a character should never be put up against the Hulk or Thor. But in comics you'll see him do the whole old 'snikt' claw thing and put up a respectable showing, but in KMC a character like Thor should do what Magneto did to him ....or worse.

Anyway, in two weeks someone like Stark or T'Challa or Holt or Wayne or Luther or Doom can turn the moon into cheese. Unfortunately, a lot of that is what is filed under 'deus ex machina,' or in simpler English, PIS/CIS. Not that it's bad thing ...it usually helps develop the plot and spice up the action, otherwise every Superman comic would last one page, and every Flash comic (literally) three scans (one to introduce the problem, one to show the Flash instantly solving it at close to c-speed, and the third to show the aftermath ....kind of like how the Flash evacuated a city of millions in a fraction of a second, while a nuclear weapon was exploding, by carrying the people out in groups of twos and threes. Think about that for a moment ...he was searching for these people in their homes and work places, grabbing them in twos or however many he could carry, taking them far enough not to be affected by a nuclear detonation, and then going back and repeating it over and over again ....in a fraction of a second! And then you expect someone like Boomerang or Grodd to give Flash a problem? But, in order to make comics interesting, people like Grodd give the Flash problems).

Thus, Stark in comics can nearly defeat the PF, Bruce Wayne can survive the Omega sanction, and T'Challa can go to hell and be rescued by Storm. In KMC however, all three humans would be dead.

carver9
Here on KMC though, people fight in character which is the reason I don't bust out World Breaker Hulk in a Hulk vs thread (since World Breaker is a Hulk that isn't holding back). We can't ignore how Surfer/Superman/Hulk/and Thor fight in comics. We take that under consideration unless we truly believe Surfer and Superman would start the fight off punching a million times in a second which neither of these opponents has done.

With that said, given prep like this, Tony has a big chance of taking heavy hitters like Hulk, Thor, Surfer, and Superman out.

DarkSaint85
In character, Tony is way too arrogant and always misses some vital measurement, which is his downfall.

He has a poor record with his buster suits.

zopzop
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
He has a poor record with his buster suits.
This. Has ANY "'buster" suit EVER worked against its intended target?

Superman destroys him.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by zopzop

Superman destroys him.

Thorbuster - Thor tore it apart.
Magnetobuster - Mags was winning
Phoenixbuster - Made the problem worse. Spetsnaz, it split the force into five components, which infected five mutants, not just one. And every time you defeated one, it just made the rest stronger.
Hulkbuster armourS - Lol.

spetznaz
Here on KMC though, people fight in character which is the reason I don't bust out World Breaker Hulk in a Hulk vs thread (since World Breaker is a Hulk that isn't holding back). We can't ignore how Surfer/Superman/Hulk/and Thor fight in comics. We take that under consideration unless we truly believe Surfer and Superman would start the fight off punching a million times in a second which neither of these opponents has done.

As I mentioned, it's been years since I posted here. Years, and thus after reading your post where you mentioned your interpretation of the rules, I decided it would be prudent for me to reacquaint myself with the official rules. After all, they might have changed in the past 5 or so years.

Thus, it was with great pleasure I realized that they were still the same rules that were present back then. Rules that do away with PIS. Rules that ensure characters fight at their optimal levels. Rules that basically ascertain that Stark couldn't defeat an all-out Superman since to do so would require a mix of either PIS or Superman not giving it his all, with the only chance of a righteous victory by Stark being one-shot since if that fails he is dead.

Anyway, here are the rules as copied and pasted from the guideline section. Three of them are pasted below, and using them basically the Stark vs Clark bout becomes, basically, a battle between a god and a man ...with the man having 2 weeks to prepare, and his chance of victory being solely dependent on successfully killing the god with the first strike since there will be no opportunity for a second:

Full Capacity
It is assumed that each contestant will fight to his/her best ability, but still within the character's personality, unless specified otherwise. That means they will use any powers at their disposal. For example, even though The Flash doesn't clock each of his own opponents in the first millisecond in his own comic, it is assumed that is a viable tactic on this board since it is a proven fact that he possesses that level of speed.
It is also assumed that the characters fight at their optimum levels of ability - not explicitly weakened or unusually powered up for those who have variable power levels.

The "No PIS" Rule
PIS = Plot Induced Stupidity
At times, for the sake of the plot, characters that are immensely more powerful than their opponent will "job" to carry on the plot of the story, even though the characters powers and history would clearly show that they are more than capable of destroying their opponent. For this reason we have a No PIS Rule. This rule prohibits the use of such instances of PIS from being used as evidence in debates._

No Mentioning Events of PIS
Plot Induced Stupidity, or PIS, is when characters don't use their abilities or skills to the fullest extent as shown before, even within their personality ranges, for the sake of the story plotline. It makes lesser powered characters an actual challenge against higher powered characters in the comics. Examples of PIS include Flash stories lasting longer than three panels, or Toy Man as a threat to Superman.

DarkSaint85
Then every time his buster suits have failed, it's PIS?

Prof. T.C McAbe

Superman destroys him.

thumb up

StiltmanFTW

Superman destroys him.

Phoenixkiller partially did the job right...

As for the Hulkbuster, not all models were bad.

DarkSaint85
True,

PIS could be argued for WWHulkbuster (the nanites being sabotaged)....

But the main point is that Stark usually miscalculates just how powerful his opponents are.

carver9
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Phoenixkiller partially did the job right...

As for the Hulkbuster, not all models were bad.

He also did good against King Thor.

DarkSaint85
Only because it had the same enchantment as Mjolnir (nothing to do with Tony).

FIRST punch that Thor made, blew a hole in its chest.

Then Thor ripped its arm off.

Then Cap put Iron Man down in one blow.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/13/132594/3068961-avengers+049.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/13/132594/3068963-avengers+050.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/13/132594/3068965-avengers+051.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/132594/3068967-avengers+052.jpg

DarkSaint85

h1a8

With that said, given prep like this, Tony has a big chance of taking heavy hitters like Hulk, Thor, Surfer, and Superman out. Superman doesn't have to punch a million times to destroy Tony. A few good times will suffice (same for Thor against Tony). Anyway this thread is near spite (the prep makes it not) since Tony has no way to deal with Superman's speed, hv, freeze breath, or punches. Superman would see Tony in super slow motion.

Surtur
So in conclusion: Iron Man with prep can totally beat Superman if Superman fights like his brain has been replaced by a pile of dog poop.

Damn Iron Man, that shit is impressive! Like the time the guy made of kryptonite took on Superman and won, these things are valid and impressive. Yes he only achieved victory due to literally being made out of Superman's weakness, which is about as impressive as achieving victory due to Superman holding back and forgetting he has multiple super powers.

But still: who has two thumbs and is impressed by Iron Man? This guy, that is who.

StiltmanFTW
In conclusion: Superman is a nobody, Tony one-shots him. I'm glad we all agree. More threads like this.

Prof. T.C McAbe
In conclusion: Superman is a nobody, Tony one-shots him. I'm glad we all agree. More threads like this.

How dare you!!! How many covers do you have? Still missing 3....

Surtur
In conclusion: Superman is a nobody, Tony one-shots him.

Nonsense, Tony is going to need a lot more then one shot in order to get over what Superman does to him. He's going to need the entire bottle.

StiltmanFTW
laughing out loud

Good one thumb up

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe
How dare you!!! How many covers do you have? Still missing 3....

3 dupes. Missing 2.

I hope for the best, Alan (I think) said we still have two weeks.

Genii96
2 wks of prep is too much,especially if tony knows about superman

abhilegend
No, it isn't.

Time-Immemorial

Shut that mouth whore!

Star428
Originally posted by h1a8
Superman doesn't have to punch a million times to destroy Tony. A few good times will suffice (same for Thor against Tony). Anyway this thread is near spite (the prep makes it not) since Tony has no way to deal with Superman's speed, hv, freeze breath, or punches. Superman would see Tony in super slow motion.

thumb up

For once, I agree with everything you say.

Star428
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Shut that mouth whore!

You see now TI why I was shocked when you wanted to add him to The kryptonian council? He hates Superman and insults him every chance he gets. Guess that's because he's butthurt that he is an infinitely better character and hero than Batman. thumb up

naurtoisbeast
Originally posted by spetznaz

A. Tony Stark is one of a handful of human characters in Marvel and DC that, given sufficient prep time, can do wonders that are beyond the ken of human comic characters. The likes of Bruce Wayne, T'Challa and Tony are capable of astounding feats given prep time. Thus, this is my first answer - given 2 weeks of prep time, Tony Stark is indeed capable of trouncing all the 3 battles given. He would win against the comic book Superman, and arguably do it with ease. Given prep.

B. As I mentioned, Tony would win all 3 battles given prep time against comic book Superman. However, this is KMC. Here we assume that all characters perform at their best, that they use all the powers and abilities within their normal power set, and they will not be holding back. Additionally, there is no PIS and CIS, thus a character like Superman would not simply stand toe to toe and trade blows, and a character like Iron Man will not have Infinity Gauntlet or the war tech of the entire Shiar race. Thus, if we assume that from the moment the fight commences Superman goes all out without holding back, and that Iron Man is not using some CIS/PIS tech that turns our sun into a red giant, the surrounding ground into kryptonite, and fire blast bolts from satellites that are imbued with Dr Strange's magic following their interaction at the Illuminati. Thus would be are KMC battle, not a Comic Book story trying to have Stark win. In a KMC battle, Superman is an absolute beast, and Stark would only have one chance ....immediately taking out Superman with the very first shot. If that one shot misses or is not sufficient, the Superman goes all out and Tony gets killed within seconds.

Thus, a complex answer.

I could write ways in which Stark could kill Clark with prep time. However, my clone could also write ways in which Clark could kill Stark. The ruling factor though is simple ...Stark ABSOLUTELY HAS TO kill Clark in the opening shot, because if he does not Clark goes into the KMC version of Superman, and if he does not hold back then Stark is dead. Originally posted by spetznaz

Thus, a complex answer.

I could write ways in which Stark could kill Clark with prep time. However, my clone could also write ways in which Clark could kill Stark. The ruling factor though is simple ...Stark ABSOLUTELY HAS TO kill Clark in the opening shot, because if he does not Clark goes into the KMC version of Superman, and if he does not hold back then Stark is dead. i think superman will win here

relentless1
Superman stomps Tony like a bug

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.