Rey's Mom: Would it be a good idea to bring Mara Jade into canon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fated Xtasy
Yeah, would it be a good idea to bring Mara into canon as Rey's mother? It would be a nice nod to the first eu books and comics and to her fans.

What do you all think?

DarthAnt66
No.

EmperorSidious2
Actaully possibly. It could make for an interesting twist, but Disney would change her story to where she wasn't an emperors hand and she was like a bounty hunter or an average person who Luke fell for.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by EmperorSidious2
Actaully possibly. It could make for an interesting twist, but Disney would change her story to where she wasn't an emperors hand and she was like a bounty hunter or an average person who Luke fell for.

Or.. a smuggler stick out tongue

I think it'd be interesting, as one of the very first popular EU characters, i think it wouldn't be bad to have her as a love interest, maybe one of Luke's students. But yeah I think they could go for it.

Emperordmb
It would make sense to have Rey's mom/Luke's wife be force sensitive, would explain why she's so damn powerful for sure, and it would explain wtf Luke was doing screwing around with them to begin with if he was focused on rebuilding the Jedi Order

FreshestSlice
Someone like Mara Jade, sure, at least personality wise. Someone named Mara Jade with the exact same backstory, who is aos likely killed by Kylo? No thanks.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Someone like Mara Jade, sure, at least personality wise. Someone named Mara Jade with the exact same backstory, who is aos likely killed by Kylo? No thanks.

Yeah, I hope they don't do that. I'd rather her defending the students from the first Order and getting shot at by Phasma? While Luke duels Kylo.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
i think it wouldn't be bad to have her as a love interest, maybe one of Luke's students.

http://puu.sh/mehHV/03d631d7f8.jpg

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
http://puu.sh/mehHV/03d631d7f8.jpg

Lmao you need to stop.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Lmao you need to stop.

sad

https://youtu.be/oEnIuwRjgis?t=1m51s

Fated Xtasy
sad

https://youtu.be/oEnIuwRjgis?t=1m51s

LMFAO I like you.

Cute profile pic btw

NewGuy01
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
No.

Tzeentch
Nope. I'm not interested in seeing Disney **** over one of the few good things to come out of the EU. Leave her in legends.

Vorpal Ruin
I'd love to see a well done Mara Jade brought into the Star Wars movies. Her history and future can be different, just keep a similar personality.

|King Joker|
http://puu.sh/mehHV/03d631d7f8.jpg LOL

On topic: Basically what Freshest said, tbh.

Darth Abonis
Nah. The EU is over

SunRazer
If it's handled well, possibly. A retread of Mara's EU backstory, or Sacrifice being played out with Kylo Ren as Caedus, though? God no.

Q99
She doesn't fit. As another trained force user, it's hard to work her into the Kylo Ren story.

NewGuy01
Inb4 Rey is Obi-Wan's granddaughter.

FreshestSlice
Every trained Force User can take on Kylo, trufacts

Revanchiste
She is the new mara Jade ! Except her name is not mara Jade !

Selenial
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Inb4 Rey is Obi-Wan's granddaughter.

I actually think that would make for a far more interesting storyline, I'm a believer in Rey being Luke's child but honestly there are so many other far more interesting avenues...

Honestly though the Kenobi granddaughter theory doesn't really work given she obviously has ties to the Rebel Alliance/Resistance, gauging from the small doll she'd woven of a pilot... She hit Jakku long after the battle so the only way she'd have strong memories of them was if she grew up around the resistance.

Beniboybling
Not sure how it can be Obi-Wan's granddaughter when Obi-Wan never had any children, would be one hella of a retcon.

Selenial
We don't actually know that, for all we know Satine had a child she gave up. It fits with the idea of her not wanting to drag him out of the Jedi order...

Nephthys
Originally posted by Selenial
I actually think that would make for a far more interesting storyline, I'm a believer in Rey being Luke's child but honestly there are so many other far more interesting avenues...

thumb up

Honestly though the Kenobi granddaughter theory doesn't really work given she obviously has ties to the Rebel Alliance/Resistance, gauging from the small doll she'd woven of a pilot... She hit Jakku long after the battle so the only way she'd have strong memories of them was if she grew up around the resistance.

Luke and the Rebel Alliance are now galaxy-famous. I'm sure everyone knows what those pilots look like.

Beniboybling
We don't actually know that, for all we know Satine had a child she gave up. It fits with the idea of her not wanting to drag him out of the Jedi order... Hmm, maybe, however arguably the movies need to be all inclusive for the casual fans.

Other than that, I don't see Rey being the granddaughter of Kenobi has having much weight/relevance as the daughter of Luke.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Nephthys
Luke and the Rebel Alliance are now galaxy-famous. I'm sure everyone knows what those pilots look like. Mmm, I also figured she'd be familiar with the "lore" surrounding the Battle of Jakku.

EDIT: She also says she's never seen a Resistance fighter before, so yeah.

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Other than that, I don't see Rey being the granddaughter of Kenobi has having much weight/relevance as the daughter of Luke.

Maybe the Kenobi family is less whiny than the Skywalker one. For that alone it would worth it.

Selenial
Originally posted by Nephthys
Luke and the Rebel Alliance are now galaxy-famous. I'm sure everyone knows what those pilots look like.

A backwater world with no sign of propaganda or even the holo-net? Even if she could have found the image from just anywhere, it doesn't explain why it would be significant enough for her to fashion a doll for...

Nephthys
Well she has an actual rebel pilot helmet that she likes to wear. Maybe she actually took it off of the remains of someone.

Beniboybling
Considering she likely grew up around the remains of a great battle (and probably local stories of it), literally making her home in the foot of a walker, it stands to reason it would have had a significant impact on her childhood, and childhood fantasies.

The way in which she sees Finn and BB-8 as something exciting rather than dangerous suggests that as well.

Also remember that Luke Skywalker lived on a backwater desert planet as well, yet was still aware of the civil war and dreamed of becoming a rebel pilot. Only difference being he didn't have the wreck of a Star Destroyer or an X-Wing to inspire him.

Darth Thor
Not sure how it can be Obi-Wan's granddaughter when Obi-Wan never had any children, would be one hella of a retcon.

Plus wouldn't explain how insanely strong in the force she is.

Obi-Wan was obviously strong, but never at those kind of insane levels.

Tzeentch
I don't like the Kenobi-granddaughter plot-point because Obi-Wan having a kid and subsequently a grandkid takes away from Luke being the only hope for the Jedi's return. Making Leia his sister in RotJ already kind of ****ed that up, but there's no need to further marginalize the impact and achievements of the heroes in the original trilogy. It's already bad enough that we yet again have an imbalanced force and an evil Empire despite the specific efforts prior to balance the ****ing force and defeat the ****ing Empire.

Selenial
Considering she likely grew up around the remains of a great battle (and probably local stories of it), literally making her home in the foot of a walker, it stands to reason it would have had a significant impact on her childhood, and childhood fantasies.

The way in which she sees Finn and BB-8 as something exciting rather than dangerous suggests that as well.

Also remember that Luke Skywalker lived on a backwater desert planet as well, yet was still aware of the civil war and dreamed of becoming a rebel pilot. Only difference being he didn't have the wreck of a Star Destroyer or an X-Wing to inspire him.

It's the complete opposite, actually. Something that happened 40 years prior doesn't seem majestic to a child. She rummages through Imperial Star Destroyers like nobody's business, she made her home in an AT-AT, that wouldn't inspire awe, it makes the majesty of these huge war machines seem futile. They're nothing special when they're left to rot in the middle of Jakku.

Tatooine was a far more densely populated world than Jakku is, and was actually quite a key world in the Outer Rim, they're not one and the same. Not to mention Luke wished to become a Rebel pilot because he knew friends who had left to fight, Rey is hardly in the same situation.

Selenial
Originally posted by Tzeentch
I don't like the Kenobi-granddaughter plot-point because Obi-Wan having a kid and subsequently a grandkid takes away from Luke being the only hope for the Jedi's return. Making Leia his sister in RotJ already kind of ****ed that up, but there's no need to further marginalize the impact and achievements of the heroes in the original trilogy. It's already bad enough that we yet again have an imbalanced force and an evil Empire despite the specific efforts prior to balance the ****ing force and defeat the ****ing Empire.

I think it actually lends more credence to the line from Yoda that "There is another", since they never took the route of making Leia a Jedi in the new canon. For there to be a Kenobi that never knew of her Jedi heritage as the Jedi's other hope actually makes sense. It's also tragic if we find out said Jedi died with Luke's order leaving an infant child hunted by the First Order...

FreshestSlice
No it doesn't. Because I'm sure he'd be aware of his own child. Not only that, but Yoda was clearly talking about Leia. Finally, the idea that Yoda would think Obi-Wan's random kid, which would have been left behind on the planet he just left, could take on Darth Vader is a pretty stupid one.

Agusto Pinochet
sounds lame no offense

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.