Golden/Silver Age Captain Marvel VS Pre-Crisis Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ghostman
which one of these crazy ass star moving planet tossing juggernauts wins this? no powers as the plot demands like anti captain marvel vision..etc..

Surtur
Since the power levels didn't begin to reach truly insane levels until the Silver Age PC Supes should win.

I realize PC Supes had a much more significant weakness to magic, but he should be able to kill Marvel before he can do much of anything. PC Supes has some...utterly insane speed feats. I'm not even talking about the stuff like "goes so fast he breaks into heaven" either.

I remember reading about one feat that involved Superman doing a complicate set of tasks(including going to his fortress and shrinking down into Kandor). Someone fired some kind of advanced tech at him, after the gun fired is when he went off to do the whole going to his fortress and shrinking down. He basically returned so quickly the person who fired the gun didn't even realize he was gone. I think it MIGHT of been Metallo using a heart switching gun. I'm not even joking he had a heart switching gun. You can see why Metallo using such a weapon on Supes would be fatal. I think Superman's ruse even included painting parts of himself green so Metallo would think the gun had succeeded.

ghostman
Originally posted by Surtur
Since the power levels didn't begin to reach truly insane levels until the Silver Age PC Supes should win.

I realize PC Supes had a much more significant weakness to magic, but he should be able to kill Marvel before he can do much of anything. PC Supes has some...utterly insane speed feats. I'm not even talking about the stuff like "goes so fast he breaks into heaven" either.

I remember reading about one feat that involved Superman doing a complicate set of tasks(including going to his fortress and shrinking down into Kandor). Someone fired some kind of advanced tech at him, after the gun fired is when he went off to do the whole going to his fortress and shrinking down. He basically returned so quickly the person who fired the gun didn't even realize he was gone. I think it MIGHT of been Metallo using a heart switching gun. I'm not even joking he had a heart switching gun. You can see why Metallo using such a weapon on Supes would be fatal. I think Superman's ruse even included painting parts of himself green so Metallo would think the gun had succeeded.

edited to make it both golden and silver age. i want marvel, at his craziest!! i remember reading silver age supes flying entire light years in freaking miliseconds, that may be the fastest feat in all of comics, atleast top 5 no doubt

abhilegend
Silver age superman was stronger than Cap as the later bronze age weakened Superman was equal to Cap in strength.

He creates lightning and turns Cap into Billy as any lightning could do that to him.

Otherwise it's a stalemate.

Sensui
Silver Age Superman wins.

Capt. Marvel didn't even exist in the Silver Age with Fawcett losing its case in court to DC Comics in 1953 and pulling all Capt. Marvel related comics off the shelf. Capt. Marvel didn't reappear until 1972 when DC started publishing the Marvel Family again under new licensing.

The Silver Age started in 1956-1971 to the power dampening of Silver Age to Bronze Age and that whole Sand Superman returning to Quarrm with half of Superman's powers.

During the Silver Age Superman faced villains like Zhavam who not only had the powers of 6 Gods like Capt. Marvel had, but had additional reserved God powers on his belt and ended up with the entire Greek Pantheon powers including the Titans and still lost to Superman. DC's rather overt way of saying Capt. Marvel's powers would not be enough to overcome the Man of Steel.

Then when Capt. Marvel returned he was matched by a weakened Earth One Bronze Age Superman, further establishing he would not be a match for the previous Silver Age version. But if there was a silver lining it was that Dr. Sivanna with Capt. Marvel's powers was shown to be definitely stronger than Earth 2 Superman who had been the Golden Age Superman. But the Earth 1 Superman was shown to be on Sivanna's level and might be stronger since Sivanna admitted he was the one person beside Capt. Marvel that could defeat him and his plan heavily relied on kryptonite to defeat Earth 1 Superman in DC Comics Presents Annual #3.

riv6672
Superman was outdone by every stage magician with a magic spell back in the day; sheer proximity to such an uber magical beinv as CM would likey cause him to explode.
CM 20/20.

a88378438
Originally posted by Sensui
Silver Age Superman wins.

Capt. Marvel didn't even exist in the Silver Age with Fawcett losing its case in court to DC Comics in 1953 and pulling all Capt. Marvel related comics off the shelf. Capt. Marvel didn't reappear until 1972 when DC started publishing the Marvel Family again under new licensing.

The Silver Age started in 1956-1971 to the power dampening of Silver Age to Bronze Age and that whole Sand Superman returning to Quarrm with half of Superman's powers.

During the Silver Age Superman faced villains like Zhavam who not only had the powers of 6 Gods like Capt. Marvel had, but had additional reserved God powers on his belt and ended up with the entire Greek Pantheon powers including the Titans and still lost to Superman. DC's rather overt way of saying Capt. Marvel's powers would not be enough to overcome the Man of Steel.

Then when Capt. Marvel returned he was matched by a weakened Earth One Bronze Age Superman, further establishing he would not be a match for the previous Silver Age version. But if there was a silver lining it was that Dr. Sivanna with Capt. Marvel's powers was shown to be definitely stronger than Earth 2 Superman who had been the Golden Age Superman. But the Earth 1 Superman was shown to be on Sivanna's level and might be stronger since Sivanna admitted he was the one person beside Capt. Marvel that could defeat him and his plan heavily relied on kryptonite to defeat Earth 1 Superman in DC Comics Presents Annual #3.

You dont know Earth 2 Superman just as strong as Earth 1 Superman?
Check that :
http://www.comicvine.com/justice-league-of-america-74-where-death-fears-to-/4000-10383/

abhilegend
That was retconned away.

riv6672
Still going with CM.

Magnon
PC Superman stomps.

riv6672
Not in this case.
DC was playing catch up with Fawcett in regards to Superman's power level all the way to the end.
Since DC aquired the rights to CM they've made sure to keep him below Supes. But, back in the day, CM was the man to beat.

naurtoisbeast
Originally posted by Surtur

I remember reading about one feat that involved Superman doing a complicate set of tasks(including going to his fortress and shrinking down into Kandor). Someone fired some kind of advanced tech at him, after the gun fired is when he went off to do the whole going to his fortress and shrinking down. He basically returned so quickly the person who fired the gun didn't even realize he was gone. I think it MIGHT of been Metallo using a heart switching gun. I'm not even joking he had a heart switching gun. You can see why Metallo using such a weapon on Supes would be fatal. I think Superman's ruse even included painting parts of himself green so Metallo would think the gun had succeeded. Originally posted by Surtur

I remember reading about one feat that involved Superman doing a complicate set of tasks(including going to his fortress and shrinking down into Kandor). Someone fired some kind of advanced tech at him, after the gun fired is when he went off to do the whole going to his fortress and shrinking down. He basically returned so quickly the person who fired the gun didn't even realize he was gone. I think it MIGHT of been Metallo using a heart switching gun. I'm not even joking he had a heart switching gun. You can see why Metallo using such a weapon on Supes would be fatal. I think Superman's ruse even included painting parts of himself green so Metallo would think the gun had succeeded. i think superman wins here

cdtm
Originally posted by ghostman
which one of these crazy ass star moving planet tossing juggernauts wins this? no powers as the plot demands like anti captain marvel vision..etc..

Been done many, many times.

Their first real fight, Cap noted how Superman was wearing him down, and noted that wouldn't happen in his own universe. So between that and Cap's fights with Adam, it's pretty clear Shazam is Juggernaut invulnerable in the Fawcett-verse.

Further, even with his "handicap" (Or leveling of the playing field), he was on the verge of beating Superman with the lightning. Shazam actually popped up in ghost form, and told him to THROW THE MATCH (Because Supes was mind controlled, and winning would snap him out of it.)

cdtm
Originally posted by riv6672
Not in this case.
DC was playing catch up with Fawcett in regards to Superman's power level all the way to the end.
Since DC aquired the rights to CM they've made sure to keep him below Supes. But, back in the day, CM was the man to beat.

Honestly, it was pretty evident DC writers of the PC era sympathized with Fawcett, even though they worked for their competition (And executioner.)

abhilegend
Originally posted by cdtm
Been done many, many times.

Their first real fight, Cap noted how Superman was wearing him down, and noted that wouldn't happen in his own universe. So between that and Cap's fights with Adam, it's pretty clear Shazam is Juggernaut invulnerable in the Fawcett-verse.

Further, even with his "handicap" (Or leveling of the playing field), he was on the verge of beating Superman with the lightning. Shazam actually popped up in ghost form, and told him to THROW THE MATCH (Because Supes was mind controlled, and winning would snap him out of it.)
Cap's lightning didn't have much effect on Superman in JLA 135 other than clearing his mind.

So I doubt he could have done anything to Superman with it.

And Cap couldn't harm Superman either. It was also bronze age weakened Superman.

naurtoisbeast
Originally posted by abhilegend
Silver age superman was stronger than Cap as the later bronze age weakened Superman was equal to Cap in strength.

He creates lightning and turns Cap into Billy as any lightning could do that to him.

Otherwise it's a stalemate. Originally posted by abhilegend
Cap's lightning didn't have much effect on Superman in JLA 135 other than clearing his mind.

So I doubt he could have done anything to Superman with it.

And Cap couldn't harm Superman either. It was also bronze age weakened Superman. i think superman will win here

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.