Otherkin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AsbestosFlaygon
**** WARNING! Video contains explicit language ****

8y1GbBhu9hA

For those you can't view the embedded video, here is the direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1GbBhu9hA

So, what is Otherkin? It's when a person believes that he/she is the personification (NOT impersonation) of an object, animal, event, or any fictional being or place. It's a phenomena that's fast becoming popular these days.

In your opinion, is it culturally/morally acceptable and should it be treated as a normal occurrence (like LGBT and Asexualism) in our society, or is it a form of mental illness/insanity? What are you thoughts on the matter?

Q99
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

In your opinion, is it culturally/morally acceptable and should it be treated as a normal occurrence (like LGBT and Asexualism) in our society, or is it a form of mental illness/insanity? What are you thoughts on the matter?

I think it's silly, and it's not a gender orientation or similar, but it's mostly harmless.

If people want to latch on to something else, I guess they can? Even if I don't see the point personally, it's not hurting anyone.

Tzeentch
From what I've researched it's pretty ****ing weird, but hey so are most religions.

My stance for it is pretty much the same as it is for religion, sexuality, and other psychological/philosophical subjects. So long as it isn't doesn't infringe on the rights of others I don't give a shit what you believed in.

Nephthys
Personally I can't see it as healthy. I don't know too much about it, but from what I do thats how I think.

Flyattractor
So is Bruce/Kate Jenner their Messiah?

ArtificialGlory
Yep, that's Tumblr for you.

Henry_Pym
It's teens RPing for attention. I find it weird how much attention they have gotten recently.

Surtur
Just like with the trans-gender people I find this to be nothing but a mental illness.

jaden101
I cracked up at "an otherkin will growl at ground beef in the market because that's what they believe hunting is" 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Henry_Pym
Stop oppressing me.

I sexually identify as a Howitzer.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
It's teens RPing for attention. I find it weird how much attention they have gotten recently.

I'm pretty sure it's more than RPing. At least some of them seem to be genuinely mental.

Q99
Originally posted by Flyattractor
So is Bruce/Kate Jenner their Messiah?

No, not remotely an otherkin, Kate had an actual issue and fixed it.

An otherkin is someone who thinks they're a dragon or elf or something.

Transgender people have an actual brain-body mismatch. Of which only one side of it, the body side, is fixable. The psychiatric community tossed out the idea that it's a mental illness long ago, in no small part due to attempts to approaching it from that angle crashing and burning, while transition having great success.

Otherkin... I don't think mental illness covers it, it's more just a weird belief.

Esau Cairn
I didn't click on the video but is this like people falling in love with inanimate objects?

Some dude who fell in love with his car & admitted to having sex with it.
A woman who married the Eifel Tower.

Q99
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I didn't click on the video but is this like people falling in love with inanimate objects?

Some dude who fell in love with his car & admitted to having sex with it.
A woman who married the Eifel Tower.

No, this is people thinking they are other things.

Like, "I'm an Elf/Dragon/Video game character/whatever."

Bardock42
I think most otherkin are indeed more role playing than truly feeling that they are some sort of other being. Of course it is mainly harmless, I don't think it has usually to do with a mental illness, and at any rate people should be treated with respect and kindness whether they have a mental illness or not.

It is not comparable to transgender issues however, which are a relatively frequent occurrence in humans and have been through the ages, and in many societies (including Western societies) transgender people face severe oppression and danger to their well being, which is not really the case for otherkin.

Surtur
Originally posted by Q99
Transgender people have an actual brain-body mismatch. Of which only one side of it, the body side, is fixable. The psychiatric community tossed out the idea that it's a mental illness long ago, in no small part due to attempts to approaching it from that angle crashing and burning, while transition having great success.

Otherkin... I don't think mental illness covers it, it's more just a weird belief.

Yeah see a brain body mismatch sounds like a mental illness to me. But that is just my opinion.

Surtur
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think most otherkin are indeed more role playing than truly feeling that they are some sort of other being. Of course it is mainly harmless, I don't think it has usually to do with a mental illness, and at any rate people should be treated with respect and kindness whether they have a mental illness or not.

It is not comparable to transgender issues however, which are a relatively frequent occurrence in humans and have been through the ages, and in many societies (including Western societies) transgender people face severe oppression and danger to their well being, which is not really the case for otherkin.

It can still be a mental illness even if it's not comparable to people who think they personify objects. Plus yes, lots of mental illnesses have occurred throughout the ages. They shouldn't be oppressed I agree, they need help not oppression. Again I know some disagree I'm not looking to get into a huge debate over it, just how I feel. I probably shouldn't of brought it up, but it is the closest thing I could associate to this.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Surtur
Yeah see a brain body mismatch sounds like a mental illness to me. But that is just my opinion.

I'm not sure if mental illness is the best way to describe it, but it's definitely some sort of a disorder or a malfunction.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Surtur
Yeah see a brain body mismatch sounds like a mental illness to me. But that is just my opinion. You need to get over this weird belief that you having an "opinion" over what a word means and that not being the meaning of the word actually changes the meaning of the word.

You're just wrong. thumb up

quanchi112
Originally posted by NemeBro
You need to get over this weird belief that you having an "opinion" over what a word means and that not being the meaning of the word actually changes the meaning of the word.

You're just wrong. thumb up Change your sig already. You've had that same awful thing for years.

Tzeentch
What animal do you identify with, Quan?

quanchi112
Originally posted by Tzeentch
What animal do you identify with, Quan? Male lion.

Adam Grimes
You're an arctic seal.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
You're an arctic seal. Quit projecting.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by quanchi112
Male lion. That's odd, your Mom seems to think she's a rabbit.

Emperordmb
It's ****ing weird IMO

Not something to be taken seriously.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Tzeentch
That's odd, your Mom seems to think she's a rabbit. You are kind of creepy.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by quanchi112
Male lion.

Ha ha you do realise all the females do all the work & killing?
The male lion is just a lazy sod.

Wouldn't want to ruin yer beautiful mane huh?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Q99
If people want to latch on to something else, I guess they can? Even if I don't see the point personally, it's not hurting anyone.

As long as it does not hurt them or reasonably intefere with their ability to function, then who cares? Once it crosses the line and prevents them from being able to form relationships, hold down a normal job, be happy, then it becomes a negative pathology (this is probably obvious...it is like saying water melon is a melon).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.