Real life Purge.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tattoos N Scars
I assume many of you have watched the film, The Purge. If the U.S. government or any country's government enacted such a day of lawful killing, do you believe many people would participate? Is the moral climate in the world so corrupted that people would take pleasure in observing such a 'holiday'? Who do you believe would be the primary targets during this event?

KingD19
Oh yeah, tons of people overall. If we use the US for example, I'd say at least 80% of the states would have a good deal of people purging. Many of them would be cops who get off on that shit, and white guys who aren't cops but get off on the same shit and will take it as far as they can because no ramifications. Zimmerman would definitely be out there.

ArtificialGlory
No, I think that if the US govt. attempted to enact such a 'holiday', it would be overthrown real fast.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by KingD19
Oh yeah, tons of people overall. If we use the US for example, I'd say at least 80% of the states would have a good deal of people purging. Many of them would be cops who get off on that shit, and white guys who aren't cops but get off on the same shit and will take it as far as they can because no ramifications. Zimmerman would definitely be out there. Everyone would, not only cops or white guys.

KingD19
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Everyone would, not only cops or white guys.

Notice I said "many of", not "all". I know everyone would take part. All races, all walks of life. You'd have bums who had a bone to pick, you'd have rich people bored as f*ck, you'd have people wanting to impress their crew, gang bangers, etc...

I was just pointing out that the people who already do this sort of shit, or would want to and make no secret of it based on actions and words would definitely take part.

Tattoos N Scars
No one from KMC would do any purging!

Omega Vision
The idea behind the Purge is idiotic. The whole point is to get rid of repressed aggression so that people will be decent to each other the rest of the year, but how would you account for people who want vengeance for what happens to them and their loved ones during the Purge?

KingD19
Originally posted by Omega Vision
The idea behind the Purge is idiotic. The whole point is to get rid of repressed aggression so that people will be decent to each other the rest of the year, but how would you account for people who want vengeance for what happens to them and their loved ones during the Purge?

It's a dumb idea, but it's more than that. It also gets rid of unemployment since tons of people die during the purge, which will inevitably open up a huge number of jobs the very next day. It also serves to keep crime down to practically 0% since everyone does pretty much everything they want in those 12 hours. Plan for it all year, execute on the Purge, no ramifications if they survive the night. If people want vengeance, they either wait till the next Purge or risk jail time/death going for revenge before.

Also they don't really account for that, or don't care to. It was an idea for the rich, by the rich. As clearly evidenced in Anarchy. So they don't really give a shit what people who aren't them think.

Adam Grimes
This should be a new movement.

#Firstpurge2016

Tattoos N Scars
Rough estimate...what would you figure the death toll to be after 12 hours?

Adam Grimes
Solidly in the thousands, imo.

KingD19
Uhhhhh, 50,000+ at least for the first time. 1,000 deaths per state isn't too crazy considering how big every state is and the average size of a small town is at least 1,000-5,000. While larger cities like mine(Atlanta) can have much, much more. Thinking about it, that's actually a really low number.

Adam_PoE
Technically, all crime is legal during the Purge, including murder.

Yet no one takes advantage of the suspension of all laws to commit white collar crimes like embezzlement, corporate espionage, or hacking. People have one night in which they can get rich through stealing and get away with it, and yet no one does it.

People could commit acts that would otherwise be considered terrorism, such as destroying the headquarters of their business, political, or religious rivals; or even poison the water supply.

People of means would not lock themselves indoors, they would leave the country, and come back when it was over.

The filmmakers have such a limited imagination.

Tattoos N Scars
Uhhhhh, 50,000+ at least for the first time. 1,000 deaths per state isn't too crazy considering how big every state is and the average size of a small town is at least 1,000-5,000. While larger cities like mine(Atlanta) can have much, much more. Thinking about it, that's actually a really low number.

Conceivably, we could have far more deaths during the Purge than the number of American soldiers killed in Vietnam....in only 12 hours.

Tattoos N Scars
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Technically, all crime is legal during the Purge, including murder.

Yet no one takes advantage of the suspension of all laws to commit white collar crimes like embezzlement, corporate espionage, or hacking. People have one night in which they can get rich through stealing and get away with it, and yet no one does it.

People could commit acts that would otherwise be considered terrorism, such as destroying the headquarters of their business, political, or religious rivals; or even poison the water supply.

People of means would not lock themselves indoors, they would leave the country, and come back when it was over.

The filmmakers have such a limited imagination.

They just wanted to focus on the horror aspects, hence murder was focused on. You're right though. Looting and robbing would abound. People would probably kill each other over money to be honest. More people than banks and stores and not everyone would want to share.

You could probably only have one Purge. The economy would be devastated afterwards.

Flyattractor
Ohh I so grab a few bottles of tequila , a hockey mask and my machete and HAVE SOME FUGGIN FUN!!!!!

KingD19
I'd keep it simple. I'd rob a GameStop or seven. Get a moving truck and clean out the entire store(s). Then I'd make a small fortune selling all the games and systems and accessories for only slightly less than the company does, but clearly it'd be 100% profit for me.

Flyattractor
....I would steal a fuel truck and crash it into....well something. Then get more tequila.

KingD19
Originally posted by Flyattractor
....I would steal a fuel truck and crash it into....well something. Then get more tequila.

You should steal 2 fuel trucks. Crash one(after jumping out obviously), and then make a small fortune selling fuel from the other one.

Esau Cairn
A Judge Judy style Purge.
Where both parties legally agree to settle their differences in a Purge Arena.

Surtur
It's a dumb idea, but it's more than that. It also gets rid of unemployment since tons of people die during the purge, which will inevitably open up a huge number of jobs the very next day. It also serves to keep crime down to practically 0% since everyone does pretty much everything they want in those 12 hours. Plan for it all year, execute on the Purge, no ramifications if they survive the night. If people want vengeance, they either wait till the next Purge or risk jail time/death going for revenge before.

Also they don't really account for that, or don't care to. It was an idea for the rich, by the rich. As clearly evidenced in Anarchy. So they don't really give a shit what people who aren't them think.

It keeping crime down at all makes zero sense. You couldn't get all your criming done in a single day or even just 12 hours. Yes criming is not a word, but still I now enjoy using it.

This would be a day for people who aren't criminals to do criminal shit. It'd just be another day for actual criminals. I really can't imagine why you think this would reduce crime by any significant amount.

There will also be people who wouldn't normally be criminals who do criminal shit on the day and get a taste for it and like it and decide "hey I don't want to wait until next year".

Esau Cairn
The one thing that struck me funny, especially the sequel was the lack of prep time everybody seemed to have.
Xmas, you spend weeks preparing the tree, buying the pressies, organising the family get together.
With The Purge 2, it was like, "I hope I can get off work early today...gotta barricade the doors & windows before midnight..."

Newjak
Speaking only on the murdering aspect, which seems to be the most prevalent discussion here I don't think you will a huge increase in killings.

For the most part human beings generally aren't very good at killing each other or wanting to. Yes there are exceptions to the rule but for the most part if we were that blood thirsty a species we never would have made it past the cave man days or there would be way more violence today.

Yeah you would have the weirdos that tried to go on shooting sprees but I think the more common scenario is communities creating Purge Watch Groups. Whose job it would be to patrol the streets like armed volunteer cops.

Adam Grimes
You think too highly about humans.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.