Will the EU break down due to the migrant crisis?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stigma
Obviously as a European, I am very interested in the subject. But the outcome will also have its international repercussions.

Some recent news:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/slovakia-wants-to-stop-muslim-migrants-from-entering-a6803811.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/01/09/eastern-european-leaders-double-down-on-anti-migrant-anti-muslim-rhetoric/

https://news.vice.com/article/polands-right-wing-government-scares-europe-by-going-after-the-media

"Orbán and Kaczynski have similar ideological narratives of national "reconstruction" for their former Eastern Bloc countries, which joined the EU at the same time, in 2004. Both populist politicians dislike the Western democratic values generally labeled as "liberalism" in Europe, and exploit historical sensitivities to strengthen distrust of the EU. Since Orbán's rise to power, Hungary has become a model for the Polish right wing. As leader of the opposition, Kaczynski promised to "build a Budapest in Warsaw."

But unlike Orbán, who morphed from liberal dissident into an authoritarian leader, Kaczynski's beliefs have stayed constant. Even under Communism, when he was fighting the regime, he disagreed with the liberal wing of Solidarity, the underground trade union movement that succeeded in overthrowing the Communist government. Instead, what he wanted for Poland was a 'Fourth Republic' — the current one is the third — built on a conservative revolution reshaping state institutions according to a traditionalist, as he called it, "moral code."

In short, the migrant crisis is not going to stop anytime soon, and the political stances of the West and East Europe polarize more and more as the time passes.

Do you think this can be the issue that will dismentle the EU?

snowdragon
I don't have a crystal ball to forecast doom and gloom.

That said, there are parts of Europe not the entire EU that will have significant changes due to radical population swings and cultural differences.

I am not a fan or religion be it islam or christian but I tend to be less tolerant of the islamic faith.

I believe thats called bigotry Bardock not racist and I'm flawed enough to admit I have that problem with islam:P

Time-Immemorial
If Germany falls, the EU falls.

Stigma
What then? Complete chaos or will we see an emergence of some other powerful states in the midst of an anarchy?

I can tell Russia would be content.

Nephthys
Yes, absolutely.

Time-Immemorial
Russia will absorb Europe.

Stigma
I'm thinking the UK will not do badly, either. Those British bastards will always find a way.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/53/5323/1R3YG00Z/posters/winston-churchill-with-tommy-gun.jpg

Time-Immemorial
The good news is if we take any refugees that act like the ones in Europe, they will be dealt with quickly and put to justice.

Stigma
Do not underestimate the Powah of American Liberals!

Time-Immemorial
The funny thing about this is people are turning against Islam. We have had enough of it.

The liberals thought they could push their stupid agenda forever. You can only tighten a screw so tight before it breaks or strips.

Well it has been stripped.

The true dominate ideology of the great American culture will always prevail no matter how much they want to destroy it with a Utopian world view.

jaden101
The EU has bigger threats than a few million migrants. The UK referendum vote on whether to leave. Theincreasing disparity in economic strength of member countries (more a problem in the eurozone than the EU as a whole)

So no. Even 5 million immigrants would be less than a 1% population rise and that's if they all go to EU members and not any non EU member European countries.

Time-Immemorial
If the UK is in the EU, why are they not using the EU monetary system?

By 2020 it won't be just 5 million..

We have towns in the U.S. Completely taken over by Islam.

jaden101
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial

Because the labour government at the time chose not to adopt it.Neither did 8 others. Denmark, Sweden, Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland and Romania although I think some of those are in the process of doing so unless they changed their minds after the whole Greece crisis.

Time-Immemorial
I was in Sweeden recently and most vendors accepted EU. So it might be changing on a local level.

Bardock42

We have towns in the U.S. Completely taken over by Islam.

The Euro is not the "EU monetary system", though of course it is deeply linked to the EU, it is the monetary system of the "Eurozone", a subset of the EU plus. The UK is not using the Euro for multiple historical and political reasons. It's quite fascinating if you want to read about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurozone

Bardock42
Originally posted by jaden101
Because the labour government at the time chose not to adopt it.Neither did 8 others. Denmark, Sweden, Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland and Romania although I think some of those are in the process of doing so unless they changed their minds after the whole Greece crisis.

Denmark and the UK do not have to join. The others have to once they meet the criteria to do so.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Bardock42
The Euro is not the "EU monetary system", though of course it is deeply linked to the EU, it is the monetary system of the "Eurozone", a subset of the EU plus. The UK is not using the Euro for multiple historical and political reasons. It's quite fascinating if you want to read about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurozone

I meant the Euro bardock..smh.

Bardock42
I meant the Euro bardock..smh.

Yes, obviously, I explained to you why that is the wrong way to view it, and gave you a link to read more if you are actually interested.

jaden101
I was in Sweeden recently and most vendors accepted EU. So it might be changing on a local level.

Parts of the UK do also. Specifically the border towns in Northern Ireland next to the Irish Republic which uses the Euro. I would imagine that'd be quite commonplace.

Stigma
Originally posted by Bardock42
Denmark and the UK do not have to join. The others have to once they meet the criteria to do so.
Not really. It's not definite Euro will be universally used in the EU any time soon.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Stigma
Not really. It's not definite Euro will be universally used in the EU any time soon.

Well, that's true, I'm just saying what the current legal state is. The other members of the EU (besides Denmark and the UK) have committed to join the Euro once their economies fit the criteria, whether that will actually happen...who knows.

Stigma
To be honest that was a safety measure employed specifically not to adopt Euro as a currencty is a foresable future.

It's an equivalent of saying: "Sure, I'll do that, just give me more time..." And then you postpone it indefinitely.

Bardock42
Well, it's beneficial to both those in the Euro and those outside that those with developing economies do not adopt the Euro...win-win really.

Stigma
I concur. Adopting Euro would be a mistake on part of the countries like Poland or Hungary. Frankly, it's not going to happen either way.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.