Thomas Jefferson

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
Over the past year a lot of bashing about TJ.

Turns out he actually tried to fee the slaves and missed it by one vote.

Stigma
Jefferson still survives!

quanchi112
Interesting.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Over the past year a lot of bashing about TJ.

Turns out he actually tried to fee the slaves and missed it by one vote.
What's the source for this? I've never heard that.

Surtur
Didn't he also have slaves though? Wouldn't he of been in a position to free them the moment he realized "this might be wrong"?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Surtur
Didn't he also have slaves though? Wouldn't he of been in a position to free them the moment he realized "this might be wrong"? Yeah, and from what I remember he didn't free them in his will when he died, even though many of the other Founders did for their own.

Time-Immemorial
He did have his own, but he only had 2.

And under the law at that time he was not allowed to free his own slaves.

His legislation to fee the slaves failed by one vote.

And upon his death the slaves passed like his personal property did to whomever that got all of his possessions.

Surtur
Why could the other founders free slaves in their will but he wasn't allowed to?

Time-Immemorial
I don't know

Bardock42

And upon his death the slaves passed like his personal property did to whomever that got all of his possessions.

I want to see the receipts!

Omega Vision

I don't think that's true. I'm almost certain that it was always legal (at least in Virginia) for masters to stipulate manumission in their wills.

Also he had WAAAY more than 2. He had hundreds of them at one point in his life.

I also just looked up your claim, and while it's true that Thomas Jefferson did introduce legislation to ban slavery, it was only in new territories, not in preexisting states. A step forward, sure, but not quite the same as emancipation.

Mindset
Jefferson loved slaves and slavery.

Omega Vision
Yeah there's always this effort to try to clean up Jefferson's image, but the truth is while he had some great ideas and attributes, he wasn't close to perfect, and were he alive today he'd probably come off as a shitty person just because he's a product of his time.

Robtard
Not sure I fully buy the '"product of their time" in a blanket sense, some things (like slavery, murder, rape, Nickleback) are intrinsically wrong, if someone can't see that, they're probably just a shitty person in some manner(s) and it's not an era/environment issue.

Flyattractor
Owning Slaves is what Democrats love. Holding people down and not letting them get ahead.

Hence Obama ruining the economy. He is trying to bring back old Democrat Traditions.

Robtard
Comparing the Democratic and Republican parties of today with the Democratic, Republican and Democratic-Republican parties of the 1800's as being the same is something idiotic phucboys do.

Flyattractor
Go right a head. I won't mind.

Mindset
Flyattractor is Thomas Jefferson.

Flyattractor
You can be my WHEEZY!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.