Closing Gitmo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
Obama has said that he will close Guantanamo Bay, with or without Congress, before he leaves office.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/obama-will-close-guantanamo-bay-before-he-leaves-office-with-or-without-congress-a6806931.html

I mean, damn...this was one of my biggest complaints about Obama's presidency. The warmongering, lack of him trying his damnedest for a true universal healthcare option, not closing Gitmo, and his expansion of the spying on American people were some of my biggest complaints about his presidency, lies, and failed campaign promises.

But he's marking one of those off the list. Sure, he's very very very late on the action but he's still going to deliver. Awesome!

If he puts a stop to the spying on Americans, I'll shift my opinion from "disapprove" to "approve."

Lucius
"However, when Congress passed their annual spending bill in November, they made sure to restrict President Obama from relocating any Guantanamo detainees to the United States."

How exactly does this work? Like, why doesn't Obama just relocate whoever he wants to wherever he wants? If Congress complains, he should just tell them to go **** themselves. What are they going to do? Complain? Whine about executive overreach? Sue him?

Does Congress have an actual concrete de facto ability to stop Obama? If the answer to that is no, than Obama should give those Republican ****s the bird and do whatever he wants.

Adam Grimes
He's the president, not the king.

Omega Vision
I've never liked or understood the whole "not in my backyard" response to the notion of relocating inmates to the United States.

It's not as if they're much more dangerous (if at all) than good old fashioned American psychopaths who we already have locked up across the country.

What exactly is the current argument for keeping Gitmo open among its proponents?

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Lucius
"However, when Congress passed their annual spending bill in November, they made sure to restrict President Obama from relocating any Guantanamo detainees to the United States."

How exactly does this work? Like, why doesn't Obama just relocate whoever he wants to wherever he wants? If Congress complains, he should just tell them to go **** themselves. What are they going to do? Complain? Whine about executive overreach? Sue him?

Does Congress have an actual concrete de facto ability to stop Obama? If the answer to that is no, than Obama should give those Republican ****s the bird and do whatever he wants. From my understanding, the problem is money. As Commander-in-Chief Obama can unilaterally close military installations as needed, but Congress controls the military's purse-strings. What they've basically done is say "we can't stop you from closing GitMo, but we won't fund any attempt to transfer the prisoners to the US."

So essentially, if Obama closed GitMo there'd be scores of potential terrorists with nowhere to go.

Flyattractor
I just say we put them all up in a nice Hotel in Wash D.C. Let them be near their allies.

Lord Lucien
Ba-dum tsh.

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I've never liked or understood the whole "not in my backyard" response to the notion of relocating inmates to the United States.

It's not as if they're much more dangerous (if at all) than good old fashioned American psychopaths who we already have locked up across the country.

What exactly is the current argument for keeping Gitmo open among its proponents? are you one of those people who think Gitmo is are only foreign prison. It's also are foothold in Cuba

Why would we close it as we open trade talk with Cuba?

Time-Immemorial
He wont get it done, he will have to write and executive order.

The court will block it, Trump will erase all these orders day one.

Time-Immemorial
What if we sent all criminals to Gito instead of closing it, and sending all the terrorists to the US?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
are you one of those people who think Gitmo is are only foreign prison. It's also are foothold in Cuba

Why would we close it as we open trade talk with Cuba?
I'm not saying close the base, just the prison. We can still keep the naval base, there's just no point in having the prison. Although, while we're on the subject, I'm not really sure how valuable the base really is in the post Cold War era. It's not as if Cuba is that far away from America. If a war started we could have assets in Cuba within a day with or without the base.

And actually, closing the prison (and naval base) would go a long, long way to making trade talks with Cuba go smoother.

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I'm not saying close the base, just the prison. We can still keep the naval base, there's just no point in having the prison. Although, while we're on the subject, I'm not really sure how valuable the base really is in the post Cold War era. It's not as if Cuba is that far away from America. If a war started we could have assets in Cuba within a day with or without the base.

And actually, closing the prison (and naval base) would go a long, long way to making trade talks with Cuba go smoother. it costs a lot of money to close that prison, and it accomplishes nothing.

Why trade with Cuba? We can sell to them but we gain nothing. Opening the embargo did nothing but give warm fuzzys to Cuban Americans.

Robtard
Sugar, we gain sugar at a arguably cheap price.

More sugar means less corn-syrup, which means less cornfields. Sure the corn industry will hate it, but real sugar taste better and is healthier than that shit poison high fructose corn-syrup.

The US auto industry could also potentially make a nice dollar selling in Cuba.

Time-Immemorial
I'm fine with Cuban relations.

Not Iranian.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial

Cuban Cigars aint as tasty when they are legal.

Robtard

Not Iranian.

Cos of the Islam thing or?

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Robtard

No. Because Obama wants to be a Marxist Dictator like his buddy Fidel.

Robtard
You're weird

Flyattractor
its a gift.

Robtard
I'd return it

Flyattractor
Can't the mold got broke.

Time-Immemorial

State Sponsered Terrorism

Threatens to wipe Israeli off the map.

Published a book on trucking Ameeica and the destruction of Israel during the nuclear negotians.

Flyattractor
Its just their version of April Fools.

Robtard
State Sponsered Terrorism

Threatens to wipe Israeli off the map.

Published a book on trucking Ameeica and the destruction of Israel during the nuclear negotians. TBF, Cuba's been accused of sponsoring terrorist groups, I'm pretty sure Fidel has on more than one occasion talked about the downfall of the US and Cuba was directly involved with the event that arguably got the world closest to a nuclear war.

Flyattractor
TBF, Cuba's been accused of sponsoring terrorist groups, I'm pretty sure Fidel has on more than one occasion talked about the downfall of the US and Cuba was directly involved with the event that arguably got the world closest to a nuclear war.

Like I said. Fidel is one of Obama's Heroes.

Funny how people on the left seem to always have these type of Monsters on their heroes list.

Robtard
Do you have to interject ridiculous nonsense in every thread.

Lucius
Do you have to interject ridiculous nonsense in every thread.

He's worthless conservative trash; he doesn't know how to do anything else.

Flyattractor
Do you have to interject ridiculous nonsense in every thread. Originally posted by Lucius
He's worthless conservative trash; he doesn't know how to do anything else.
Better "ridiculous nonsense" then "hate filled leftist speak" Like Lucy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.