Internet Censorship

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Henry_Pym
With the UN talking to special interest groups claiming constant harassment, is their ideal version of the Internet

1.) viable/possible

And

2.) actually better than our current set up?

Discuss

Bardock42
I don't think it is censorship to prosecute harrassment when it happens online. And I do think it is possible to do a better (though of course not perfect) job.

Henry_Pym
Well Canada has already prosecuted a man on "hate crime" charges for Twitter words.

That to me is very scary as an American.

Robtard
Probably depends on the dynamics of the situation, but if someone can be charged for say threatening to harm/kill someone in the spoken word, I don't really see why expressing the same sentiments wouldn't/shouldn't translate as a crime in the written word.

Omega Vision
I think death threats sent over the internet should definitely be worth some kind of prosecution, people do it way too often with impunity.

Time-Immemorial
Hell yea there is censorship.

Go look at tons of the conspiracy video about Obama and the corrupt government and the child moletsation that exists inside it. Youtube<Google<Part of the NSA/CIA closes them for commenting.

CNN deletes pro sanders comments, hell some people came up with an chrome app to delete trump from the internet..

Emperordmb
**** NO

The Internet is the largest database of information created by man. Information is what lets the people keep the government in check. I sure as hell don't want the government ****ing with that.

Bardock42
Again, I don't think the censorship we have to worry about is government prosecuting people that threaten or harass other people.

Henry_Pym
Ok try to pull this back in,

If I said I was going to kill (insert username) would you take it seriously?

Time-Immemorial
No

Bardock42
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
Ok try to pull this back in,

If I said I was going to kill (insert username) would you take it seriously?

If you were just saying that and it was obviously in jest I would not take it seriously, and it's unlikely that you would get in legal trouble for it (especially if you are a white man).

However there are obviously serious threats on the internet as well, and it can be hard to tell which ones are and which ones aren't.

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by Bardock42
If you were just saying that and it was obviously in jest I would not take it seriously, and it's unlikely that you would get in legal trouble for it (especially if you are a white man).

However there are obviously serious threats on the internet as well, and it can be hard to tell which ones are and which ones aren't. assuming you don't know me or my race (wtf) would you take it seriously?

Bardock42
assuming you don't know me or my race (wtf) would you take it seriously?

I just said that depending on the context I would not take it seriously. What other answer are you looking for?

Tattoos N Scars
Well Canada has already prosecuted a man on "hate crime" charges for Twitter words.

That to me is very scary as an American.

Twitter is the worst place to post anything. It is the most politically correct site out thrre, imo. A comment taken out of context can get you fired from your job.

If you want to post death threats, keep it on the deep web where you are not as likely to be traced...yet your target will probably never see it.

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by Bardock42
I just said that depending on the context I would not take it seriously. What other answer are you looking for? an explanation on your needed context, sorry. Just want to define terms.

Bardock42
an explanation on your needed context, sorry. Just want to define terms.

Well, if you repeatedly talked about killing someone, doxed them, sent them death threats directly, maybe made youtube videos waving around guns talking about it...then I would probably take it seriously.

But if you, right now, as I know you, said "I'm going to kill robtard" particularly in the context of this thread, of course I would not take that as.a serious threat.

Robtard
Because you know I could easily crush him with a single hand

-Pr-
As long as they do it responsibly and don't get out of hand, then I'd have no issue with people being taken to task for things done online, assuming they were severe enough.

Whether any organisation could be trusted to do that, I dunno.

Esau Cairn
Can we censor Quan from trying to Skype with all of us?

Flyattractor
People still Skype?

BAN THOSE PEOPLE!!!!!!!

Surtur
Is someone getting in trouble for saying something online really censorship? Wouldn't censorship be preventing the person from being to actually post that at all?

I think people should be free to say what they want. It doesn't mean the shit they do won't have consequences.

AsbestosFlaygon
I think it depends on where you post your crazy shit. If you're gonna post nudity, gore, profanity, guns, and drugs in message boards like KMC Forums, then you're gonna get banned or reported to authorities. In places in the Internet where there is too much publicity and governed by rules or Internet laws, you should be smart enough to keep your shit to yourself. There are specific sites where you can post anything you want, no matter how morbid or disgusting it is. And these sites should not be censored.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Can we censor Quan from trying to Skype with all of us? Just because you're single there is no reason to lash out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.