The Punisher (Netflix)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/16/netflix-developing-punisher-spinoff-from-daredevil

We all knew it was coming. Doesn't make me any less excited! Cant wait to see him in Daredevil

Inhuman
Originally posted by Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/16/netflix-developing-punisher-spinoff-from-daredevil

We all knew it was coming. Doesn't make me any less excited! Cant wait to see him in Daredevil


http://i.imgur.com/Nb5UfE8.gif

Arachnid1
Hoping we get a trailer this week

TheVaultDweller
They might drop a Punisher teaser soon, considering they've released new stuff for Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Defenders.

carthage
Have they actually started pre-production/writing on the series? It seems really early for any sort of teaser, then again Marvel keeps a tight ship so they could very well have something already filmed. I never even saw the Iron Fist trailer coming

TheVaultDweller
Well, they only need a few seconds of footage, similar to the IF trailer. Or hell, do something like the Defenders one, with just some voice over dialogue or something, to give a small teaser/hint of what's to come.

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/06/the-punisher-series-casts-two-new-characters

Kind of disappointed to hear they are barely casting for this

TheVaultDweller
Well, they have a rather full slate at this point. As far as I know, Punisher was never initially meant to get his own spinoff, so they need to find a way to slot his series in while still keeping Iron Fist, Defenders, JJ s2 etc. on track.

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/01/netflixs-the-punisher-reportedly-premiering-in-november

Looks like we don't have too much longer to wait for this

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/22/comic-con-2017-the-punisher-clip-revealed?abthid=5972cb278b64614673000036

They put out footage at comic con. Hopefully we'll be getting a trailer soon

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/22/comic-con-2017-the-punisher-clip-revealed?abthid=5972cb278b64614673000036

They put out footage at comic con. Hopefully we'll be getting a trailer soon

Well, there is a small clip of him in the new Defenders teaser that's narrated by Stan Lee, which hints that he could be making an appearance on that show as well.

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/18/marvels-the-punisher-first-trailer-released-on-netflix-only

_QFVucLkmXs

BackFire
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Impediment
I am at full candy corn.

samhain
Just shut up and get in my eyes!

Patient_Leech
Oh f#ck! When does it come out??

BruceSkywalker
holly shi^t. can;t wait

carthage
Another Marvel hero rumored to appear in Punisher (take it with a grain of salt)

http://screenrant.com/punisher-marvel-hero-cameo-netflix/

carthage
Episode titles revealed

http://screenrant.com/marvel-punisher-season-1-episode-titles/

carthage
Anyone see the new trailer ??

marwash22
saw it. dig it.

my only hope is that his family being killed is covered in the first episode and there aren't a bunch of flashbacks in every episode, a la 'Arrow'.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by marwash22
saw it. dig it.

my only hope is that his family being killed is covered in the first episode and there aren't a bunch of flashbacks in every episode, a la 'Arrow'. These are pretty much my exact thoughts. Don't overdo the origin. We get it. He wants revenge for his murdered family.

And yeah, the new trailer was great

-Pr-
It looks good, but I have to admit I am not looking forward to Page being his "sidekick" during the show. I get that they bonded during S2 of DD, but she just annoys me.

TheVaultDweller
Doesn't seem like someone else is going to post it, so:

lIY6zFL95hE

Ridley_Prime
Nice use of Metallica.

Patient_Leech
^ Hell yeah it is. Not sure Metallica has ever been used so well.

This looks fu#king amazing.

Impediment
I hope the series will incorporate stories by Garth Ennis and Jason Aaron.

Kazenji
Checked out the trailer, Not a fan of them changing where his family gets murdered and thin Microchip

apart from those two things it looks good.

TheVaultDweller
I had a thought. It would be pretty amusing if this show sets up one of the classic Netflix Marvel hallway fight scenes. But then, instead of an actual fight, Frank just machine guns everyone to death in like 5 seconds, or blows the whole thing up.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I had a thought. It would be pretty amusing if this show sets up one of the classic Netflix Marvel hallway fight scenes. But then, instead of an actual fight, Frank just machine guns everyone to death in like 5 seconds, or blows the whole thing up.

I like it. Upping the ante from Indiana Jones and the classic shooting of the swordsman...

https://68.media.tumblr.com/f4b061a569926cb82bdcff8789a3b9ea/tumblr_inline_mxybviMbY51r4xj1z.gif

samhain
There's a story that Ford only opted to do that because he had a bad case of the squirts and wanted to get the scene over with. If true, the guy who he shot deserves a lot of credit for his effort.

BackFire
Apparently the Vegas shooting has caused Netflix to postpone the premier of Punisher.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/05/netflix-reportedly-postpones-punisher-premiere?read

samhain
Yeah, this kind of reaction usually occurs, unfortunate but I think we can all live with it.

Arachnid1
Saw that. Sucks, but whatever.

Surtur
Am I the only one who thinks Punisher shouldn't have his own show? Just feels like he works best appearing on other shows as opposed to one focused on him.

samhain
I see what you're saying but as a fan of the comic books for years I'm looking forward to this. I think also, the way Jon Bernthal portrayed him in DD S2 gives me enough hope for this, as long as they get the fight scenes right.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Surtur
Am I the only one who thinks Punisher shouldn't have his own show? Just feels like he works best appearing on other shows as opposed to one focused on him. I'm gonna have to disagree man. Punisher has some great stories and villains too. He's also probably the only R-rated marvel hero we'll get. I'm hoping his show goes all out

Robtard
This has the makings to be far surperior to JJ, DD, LC and IF, anyone who disagrees should be punished.

marwash22
shut up, Tart.

i agree. this will probably be better than everything thus far

Patient_Leech
Hell yeah, November 17th. That's not that far off...

http://deadline.com/2017/10/marvel-the-punisher-premiere-date-netflix-jon-bernthal-1202190165/

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Hell yeah, November 17th. That's not that far off...

http://deadline.com/2017/10/marvel-the-punisher-premiere-date-netflix-jon-bernthal-1202190165/

Sweet, going to binge the shit out of it that weekend.

Patient_Leech
^ We prefer to savor it. My wife and I will probably watch an episode here and there when we can.

marwash22
we usually do 3 episodes at a time over a few days.

Patient_Leech
^ To be fair we would probably do at least one or two episodes per night until we were finished, but the little one is making it hard to find time to consistently watch anything. He's been teething now, too, so he never stops crying! crybaby

Robtard
Been there/done that. I'd say use Hylands Holistic Teething tablets, they work amazingly well. But the FDA pulled them recently I heard, something about non standard belladonna doses in recent batches.

The Nuul
doesn't the jla new movie also gets released on nov 17th? weekend

punisher is going to be a zillion times better thumb up

this is going to be a masterpiece, really hope they go all out rated r

marwash22
Originally posted by Robtard
Been there/done that. I'd say use Hylands Holistic Teething tablets, they work amazingly well. But the FDA pulled them recently I heard, something about non standard belladonna doses in recent batches. meh. old school parents just rubbed a little whiskey or brandy on your gums and called it a day.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
Been there/done that. I'd say use Hylands Holistic Teething tablets, they work amazingly well. But the FDA pulled them recently I heard, something about non standard belladonna doses in recent batches.

My pediatrician advised against the gel and tablets and whatnot. :/


Originally posted by The Nuul
doesn't the jla new movie also gets released on nov 17th? weekend

punisher is going to be a zillion times better thumb up

this is going to be a masterpiece, really hope they go all out rated r

jla? the f#ck is that?

BackFire
So amped for this show. Can't wait, hope they knock it out of the park.

I believe by jla he means the upcoming Justice League movie.

BruceSkywalker
this show should rock .. can't wait

TheVaultDweller
OMW_dPtm7Bo

Patient_Leech
^ I'm not gonna bother watching any more trailers for this. There's no point. I'm gonna watch the show.

Patient_Leech
12 Reasons Why The Punisher Should Be Your New Favorite Antihero

Patient_Leech
'Marvel's The Punisher' Review: The Best MCU Series Ever Made. Really...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2017/11/13/the-punisher-review/amp/#ampshare=https://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2017/11/13/the-punisher-review/

Arachnid1
^^^

Hell yes. I've been going on black out for this but checked into this thread out of impulse. That is so good to hear.

BackFire
I wouldn't get too excited over one review. There are a lot coming out and they're very mixed.

Regardless, I'm excited for the show.

ares834
From a few reviews I've seen, it seems this is another bloated overly long season much like the other more recent Marvel shows. That's a shame. These recent shows just don't have enough content to justify 13 hours. Either they need to add more content such as allowing multiple arcs per season or they need to allow for fewer episodes per season.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, here's a breakdown of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/marvels-the-punisher-early-buzz/

carthage
Been rewatching Daredevil Season 2 since last Night

The rooftop scenes and the dialogue with Matt and the Punisher in the cemetery might be some of the best in the MCU

Surtur
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, here's a breakdown of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/marvels-the-punisher-early-buzz/

Interesting, a 72%. I can't say I'm expecting much out of this, but I will be giving it a shot.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by carthage
Been rewatching Daredevil Season 2 since last Night

The rooftop scenes and the dialogue with Matt and the Punisher in the cemetery might be some of the best in the MCU

I liked the scenes with Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin the best. That's easily the best in the MCU.

carthage
Oh yeah for sure those scenes are amazing as well

TheVaultDweller
I checked out the first episode. I gotta say, I love how absurdly tough Netflix thugs become when the plot demands it. It's happened on the other Marvel Netflix shows as well, and here we see it again. Those three took way more hits than they should have. Because we see Frank use that hammer earlier in the show, and he clearly knows how to swing it. Yet one thug even manages to make a run for it after multiple hard hits. Reminds me of the Russian guy from Daredevil season 1. Got blown up, beaten up, shot, beaten up some more, smashed through multiple floors, and still made a last stand after that.

BackFire
Watched the first 3 episodes. Thought they were great. Everything a punisher show should be imo.

The Nuul
does the pacing pick up? i am on the first ep and it's boring so far.... phuck erm

BackFire
I didn't think it was boring.

Mindset
Originally posted by The Nuul
does the pacing pick up? i am on the first ep and it's boring so far.... phuck erm If You legitimately think that, I have no clue what show you're watching.

Lestov16
Just got done binge watching. Goddamn! I'll have to let a full review marinade, but to summarize, it has a great balance of brutal violence and emotional drama. I will say, I was caught off guard. I was expecting to watch The Punisher terrorize drug rings, but it was mainly a continuation of the military conspiracy plot of Daredevil Season 2, being more of a continuation of the Punisher (and Jigsaw's) origin story, focused more on the themes of PTSD and military legality than vigilantism. Speaking of PTSD, there is a subplot about a crazy ex soldier that is...not exactly necessary. But it was still tense and exhilarating throughout, the characters (except the ex soldier) were fun to watch, and it leads into a great final two episodes, so I would definitely recommend it

Patient_Leech
Hoping to start this show A-f#cking-SAP.

TheVaultDweller
Just started on episode 4, and I had to laugh at poor Turk. He's just constantly getting beaten up by the street level heroes/vigilantes who operate in New York.

ares834
The first episode was pretty great. Hopefully, the show keeps up that quality.

tkitna
Watched the first 9 episodes tonight at work. Loving it so far.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by The Nuul
does the pacing pick up? i am on the first ep and it's boring so far.... phuck erm

Yeah, which show did you turn on? First episode was good.

I get that they didn't want to do the expected origin episode, happy life with family and they all get killed, etc. So they did it creatively with flashbacks.

Impediment
First episode was a little slow, but necessary for pacing and ploy set up. thumb up

The Nuul
boring might be the wrong word, this show is slow paced though. i was expecting a kick ass show that was fast paced

which ep does frank get his gear and skull shirt in?

Mindset
I don't get how it's slow paced though.

There are fire fights every ep

The Nuul
some fire fights, there isn't a lot of action. i was expecting a lot of kick ass punisher action, not frank castle flash backs and back story, there is also a lot of talking between microchip and frank, just not them though, every one is talking and not enough action. there is a lot of world building etc...

The Nuul
there is just too much frank castle and not enough punisher

if this was batman, then i would want to see batman and not bruce wayne back story etc...

Arachnid1
It doesn't feel slow paced to me either. In fact, the pacing feels near perfect, and nothing feels like filler.

I'm about half way through, and so far, it's better than everything but Daredevil Season 1. It seems about tied with that (it actually seems to edge out in writing; the dialogue is great). Billy and Micro are phenomenal in this show. I honestly didn't expect to see Jigsaw as a villain in season 1. It's like a Batman show starting off with the Joker. They also made Jigsaw one of the most interesting people in the show. He may actually be my favorite character so far. Him working with Rawlins actually felt like a gut punch.

The only thing I wish we saw more of is Frank actually wearing the skull. So far he's only had it for the episode 1 murder montage.

I'm glad they got it right with the Punisher after how disappointing JJ, LC, TD, and IF were. I'm also kind of hoping Finn Cooley makes an appearance as a villain eventually in this show. It doesn't have to be this season since we've already got two great villains, but give him a small arc in season 2 or something. There is no way he actually died from the shotgun blast in DD season 2

Mindset
Originally posted by The Nuul
some fire fights, there isn't a lot of action. i was expecting a lot of kick ass punisher action, not frank castle flash backs and back story, there is also a lot of talking between microchip and frank, just not them though, every one is talking and not enough action. there is a lot of world building etc... Originally posted by The Nuul
there is just too much frank castle and not enough punisher

if this was batman, then i would want to see batman and not bruce wayne back story etc... Batman is two people essentially, Bruce and Batman.

Frank is Punisher, there's no separation.

I'm not really sure you're wanting to see, he is being the Punisher.

I mean, it sounds like you want less plot and more explosions or something. There are bodies being dropped left and right every episode, any less exposition or dialog and the show would be pointless violence with no story.

cdtm
Punisher's always been very characterization heavy. Like 75% of Punisher comics is just getting into his head, and playing him off normies (And weirdo's)

If you want pointless violence, just watch John Wick movies. The shows even parody themselves about it ("He killed them all.. because of a DOG. And a CAR
"wink

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by cdtm
If you want pointless violence, just watch John Wick movies. The shows even parody themselves about it ("He killed them all.. because of a DOG. And a CAR
"wink

Which is made all the more ridiculous by the sheer number of people he kills across the two films. 84 in the first, and 128 in the second.

Surtur
Maybe I missed something, I'm on episode 9, but...the episode where it shows Frank shooting with a sniper rifle at the same guy he had punched in the eye in Afghanistan. Did Frank shoot him and miss? Or did he get shot and survive?

tkitna
Originally posted by Surtur
Maybe I missed something, I'm on episode 9, but...the episode where it shows Frank shooting with a sniper rifle at the same guy he had punched in the eye in Afghanistan. Did Frank shoot him and miss? Or did he get shot and survive?

It was bullet proof glass.

carthage
Franks body eats bullets
Like how many times has he been shot in DD season 2 and his show? Like 7 or 8??

carthage
They also did a great twist with Russo
Some great personal drama between him and Frank
Honestly, this is the best MCU Marvel title since Daredevil

Surtur
I think Frank is a mutant whose power is to not die from gunshot wounds.

He's like a zombie. Either you get a headshot or that f*cker isn't going down.

-Pr-
I was really hoping they'd not have Russo be bad, as it was so predictably heading that way. I get that because of the comics he was going to, but still, it would have been nice not to have it happen.

Show was solid enough, but what really stood out to me was the action. The brutality was amazing.

Surtur
Indeed, this show could have been called "Punisher: Zero F*cks Left To Give".

BackFire
Yeah I'm really digging this show so far. 8 eps in.

The Lost
Does anyone recommend watching the Defenders before this or can I just go in?

BackFire
Nah so far it has nothing to do with Defenders. Probably should watch Daredevil first if you haven't, though.

Arachnid1
I finally finished this tonight. Great season overall, and definitely the best Marvel has done on Netflix since DD season 1. It didn't end up outdoing DDS1, but it was damn close. Jigsaw was an amazing villain. He completely outshined Rawlins. I cant wait to see him in future seasons.

The Lost
Originally posted by BackFire
Nah so far it has nothing to do with Defenders. Probably should watch Daredevil first if you haven't, though. Yeah, I've seen all of that. It's the only one of those series I've seen thoroughly.

Patient_Leech
4 episodes in so far. Some of the police work in the show has been a little slow and boring, but there's pay offs and I can really see it shaping up well. I'm enjoying it. It's not as good as Daredevil yet, but I think that's probably impossible.

Darth Thor

Patient_Leech
^ Yeah, the first episode is great. After that it turns into sort of a slow build, but yeah, it's shaping up to be good...

The Lost
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
^ Yeah, the first episode is great. After that it turns into sort of a slow build, but yeah, it's shaping up to be good...

I think you'd like The Raid: Redemption and it's sequel. Go watch, if you haven't. I've gotten action freak vibes from you so if you're an action freak? There's little that's better.

carthage
Episode 12

Holy shit some killer scenes

carthage
I'm seeing Russo and some major bad blood in season 2

**** yeah

He's got some potential to be another Kingpin level MCU performance

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by The Lost
I think you'd like The Raid: Redemption and it's sequel. Go watch, if you haven't. I've gotten action freak vibes from you so if you're an action freak? There's little that's better.

I like action, yeah. But I really just like well done, well directed movies and typically not stupid spandex uniforms and ridiculous super powers.

And yeah, I've seen The Raid: Redemption and it's ****ing awesome. I've been meaning to rewatch that actually. Saw the sequel, too, didn't like it as much at the time, but I probably should give it another chance.

The Lost
You and me both. Every single time I see one of these new superhero movies, it gets more and more tired each time for me. I mean, Thor: Ragnarok does look like fun but it's just getting so absurd...

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by The Lost
You and me both. Every single time I see one of these new superhero movies, it gets more and more tired each time for me. I mean, Thor: Ragnarok does look like fun but it's just getting so absurd...

Please post more. So many annoying comicbook nerds here have taken over.

That's actually a reason I am rather enjoying Punisher so far because there isn't really any supernatural element to it.

Yeah, admittedly I do want to see Thor: Ragnarok at some point and I also can't wait to see Justice League ironically with some friends because it looks hilarious awful! laughing out loud

Surtur
I finished the Punisher the other day. I liked it but...holy shit is there some weird mystical curse over NYC in Marvel where bullets just don't work as well as they normally do?

BackFire
Finished it last night. Very happy with it. It was pretty much what I wanted, though I would have preferred a bit more of Frank going after regular criminals and what not. Hopefully they will have more of that next season. I'd love an adaptation of The Slavers or something like that.

But for a first season it made sense to have the story centered so much on his past.

Also strong acting for most of the main cast. Some of the lines were poorly written and cheesy, but that's par the course for comic books shows. But I loved the tone, atmosphere and level of violence. It was more or less just where it needed to be.

Surtur
I admit this is the first show I got pissed over a character death. Though it wasn't real, but when it seemed like Micro was dead I was like "oh f*ck you"

Dreampanther
Originally posted by BackFire
Finished it last night. Very happy with it. It was pretty much what I wanted, though I would have preferred a bit more of Frank going after regular criminals and what not. Hopefully they will have more of that next season. I'd love an adaptation of The Slavers or something like that...

I'd have LOVED to see that.

7/10 for me. Loved the first episode and it got good again from about episode 10 on. Episode 11 was everything I'd hoped for and gets 11/10. Since I'm not American the whole PTSD/disillusioned vet/freedom fighter vs terrorist topic didn't do much for me. I actually laughed out loud when Frank picked the worst car out of the garage "because it's American!"

I assume it makes sense to change the theme from vigilante wiping out organised crime to something more current in American society, and presumably Frank is still pretty new to the Punisher thing (having only 37 murders the authority knows about), so hopefully now that they've got this out of their system they can move on with the next series to something that has more universal appeal.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Since I'm not American the whole PTSD/disillusioned vet/freedom fighter vs terrorist topic didn't do much for me. I actually laughed out loud when Frank picked the worst car out of the garage "because it's American!"

I assume it makes sense to change the theme from vigilante wiping out organised crime to something more current in American society...

Yeah, I am American and that's the thing I like the least about the show so I agree, I'd rather just see a vigilante taking down organized crime. That's why Daredevil worked so damn well, good lord that show was great. But the PTSD thing is interesting to a degree, so I'm curious to see where they're going with it.

Surtur
I was truly shocked they didn't manage to somehow shove that one nurse into this series lol.

carthage
Loved this show and can't wait for season 2 when it's all out war between Russo and Frank

Patient_Leech
^ That reminds me... that blond girl from Daredevil, Karen? Is that her name? Was she a love interest for Punisher in the Daredevil series? I don't remember that.

The Lost
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, I am American and that's the thing I like the least about the show so I agree, I'd rather just see a vigilante taking down organized crime. That's why Daredevil worked so damn well, good lord that show was great. But the PTSD thing is interesting to a degree, so I'm curious to see where they're going with it.

Finished it as well.

The issue with that, at least for now, is that I think the writers wanted to distance the Punisher from being seemingly "heroic", in a sense. He had moments where he had done heroic actions, obviously the "biggest" one being in the last episode with Frank sparing Russo. Even then, using a broken mirror to cheese-grate a dude's face isn't exactly the stuff of heroes.

That worked amazingly with Daredevil because, despite the tension/uncertainty/drama surrounding vigilantes and the persistent argument of whether they're actually "heroes" or not, Daredevil is a traditional crime-fighting, costume-wearing hero and Frank Castle simply isn't. Plus, I appreciated the focus on more of how the Punisher is developing into who he is. It's almost an origin story stacked onto an origin story. Now that it's out of the way, I imagine a second season could have more flexibility to explore the Punisher just shit-kicking mobsters and criminals.

Mindset
Punisher was better than Daredevil.

There, I said it.

Surtur
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
^ That reminds me... that blond girl from Daredevil, Karen? Is that her name? Was she a love interest for Punisher in the Daredevil series? I don't remember that.

No, but she did help him and he helped her. There wasn't much of a romance though.

Robtard
Karen's a superhero groupie, it's pretty obvious.

carthage
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
^ That reminds me... that blond girl from Daredevil, Karen? Is that her name? Was she a love interest for Punisher in the Daredevil series? I don't remember that.

She cares deeply for him and he took bullets for her. I think she is just a strong emotional bond that keeps him human, idk it's true love though unless the writers have her get with him due to Matts renewed bond with Elektra

The Lost
Originally posted by Mindset
Punisher was better than Daredevil.

There, I said it.

Honestly? I didn't think so. Daredevil is still my favorite of the Marvel TV series. Don't me wrong, I still thought The Punisher was quite good.

Lestov16
The show was enjoyable and had an entertaining story, but I don't feel it was worthy of the Punisher. I compare it to Zach Snyder and Man Of Steel. When making MOS, it's clear that Snyder saw Superman 's story of "alien becomes an inspiring hero", and found the "alien" part more interesting than the "inspiring hero" part. With this show, it feels like the writers saw The Punisher's backstory of "military veteran who becomes a vigilante" , and found the "military veteran" aspect more interesting than the " vigilante " aspect.

I want to see blood and gore watching the Punisher, but not just standard gore. I want to see the Punisher hunt down and terrorize crime rings. I want DDS2 Punisher, the seemingly invincible one man army who hangs criminals on meat hooks and whose name evokes fear, who explicitly stated he doesn't suffer from PTSD and whose vigilantism leaves him with the consequences of facing his victim's orphans. This show felt more like a bloody melodramatic Jack Reacher, focusing on a military conspiracy and PTSD, only barely addressing vigilantism. Frank was badass this season, but he didn't feel like an one man army, and while his kills were brutal, they weren't mercilessly cruel, like his meat hook display from DD.

The thing about the military conspiracy as well is that I thought it was the weakest part of DDS2, and was relieved at the end of that season when it seemed they were done with Frank's backstory. Instead we now get ANOTHER backstory that is entirely unnecessary and has little to do with punishing criminals and the ethics of vigilantism.

Like I said, it's an entertaining show, but it's not the Punisher I was waiting for.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Surtur
No, but she did help him and he helped her. There wasn't much of a romance though.
Originally posted by carthage
She cares deeply for him and he took bullets for her. I think she is just a strong emotional bond that keeps him human, idk it's true love though unless the writers have her get with him due to Matts renewed bond with Elektra

Fair enough.

Anyway, 6 episodes in now and pretty hooked. This show is getting really, really good. Looking forward to some major mayhem going down... Really surprised that his friend Billy has betrayed him, or so it appears (or maybe he's luring Agent Orange to Punisher so Punisher can take him out). He does seem to like fancy clothes and cars, though, so maybe Agent Orange made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

quanchi112
Punisher was far better than Daredevil ever was.

TheVaultDweller
I finished this last night. I enjoyed it. Thought it was on par with S1 and the best parts of S2 of DD, as well as Jessica Jones, and better than all the rest. And damn, that ending was brutal. Even after everything Billy did, watching Frank drag his face along a broken mirror was not pretty.

KingD19
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Fair enough.

Anyway, 6 episodes in now and pretty hooked. This show is getting really, really good. Looking forward to some major mayhem going down... Really surprised that his friend Billy has betrayed him, or so it appears (or maybe he's luring Agent Orange to Punisher so Punisher can take him out). He does seem to like fancy clothes and cars, though, so maybe Agent Orange made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Is it really that big a surprise? Hs name is "Billy Russo". Look it up.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by KingD19
Is it really that big a surprise? Hs name is "Billy Russo". Look it up.

Oh, I didn't know that's who Jigsaw was.

http://flx-editorial-wordpress.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/DominicWestJigsaw5.jpg

^ Good lord that movie was so bad! laughing out loud

WolvesofBabylon
In my opinion, 2nd best thing Marvel has done. First being Winter Soldier.

quanchi112
Originally posted by The Lost
You and me both. Every single time I see one of these new superhero movies, it gets more and more tired each time for me. I mean, Thor: Ragnarok does look like fun but it's just getting so absurd... It is fantasy which is what I enjoy. This movie is great. American seems to agree as well.

Surtur
Indeed, I'm not getting tired of it. Not every single super hero movie turns out to be awesome, but a lot of high quality stuff is coming out.

Patient_Leech
I'm almost done with this show and it's great. Have 2 more episodes left I think.

Inhuman
I enjoyed this. Overall it was great. My only complaint is that we dont get too much Season 2 daredevil Frank and we get too much Thomas Jane Punisher. Meaning, not enough cold blooded remorseless Frank and a bit too much caring Frank.
I understand its an origin story of sorts and hope Frank eventually gets back to his DD season 2 self.

Ridley_Prime

BruceSkywalker
I'm almost done.. does frank get the war machine armor big grin

Patient_Leech
Holy dick-bean, just finished episode 12 last night, so one more to go. I would have been perfectly satisfied with that being the final episode. Jesus H Christ, I didn't know Netflix had the balls to get that bloody and violent. Great pay off in episode 12. This show is fantastic.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Surtur
I admit this is the first show I got pissed over a character death. Though it wasn't real, but when it seemed like Micro was dead I was like "oh f*ck you"

I was like, "Who are you talking about? No one major died," but yeah, gotcha. I had the same reaction when Madina got shot at the end. I thought she was a gonner for sure.

Finished this show up last night and thought it was fantastic. Slow build at the beginning, but it definitely pays off along the way and ends with a couple great episodes as the finale. Because it's a little slower at the beginning I think you have to view some of these Marvel Netflix shows like you would an extended movie. So each episode isn't going to have a neat and tidy resolution with a bow tied on it. But the season as a whole has a great arc and you just have to be a bit more patient.

I give this show thumb up thumb up

Patient_Leech
We shall be punished again! Renewed for 2nd season...

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/marvels-the-punisher-renewed-season-2-netflix-1202638143/

Surtur
Yeah it's one of the more interesting shows. For me some of the other Marvel shows tend to have 1 or 2 episodes that are kinda uninteresting. But that didn't happen here.

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
We shall be punished again! Renewed for 2nd season...

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/marvels-the-punisher-renewed-season-2-netflix-1202638143/

Good. It was the best of the Netflix Marvel shows, imo.

BackFire
Agreed. Loved it. Hopefully they focus more on street level crime bosses and what not next season.

Adam Grimes
I loved it too. Admittedly biased because I love everything Jon Bernthal but the show was better than I expected it to be.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Inhuman
I enjoyed this. Overall it was great. My only complaint is that we dont get too much Season 2 daredevil Frank and we get too much Thomas Jane Punisher. Meaning, not enough cold blooded remorseless Frank and a bit too much caring Frank.
I understand its an origin story of sorts and hope Frank eventually gets back to his DD season 2 self. Even in DD he notoriously gave a shit about things, and he's not in a vendetta anymore at the start of this series. What are you talking about?

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
Agreed. Loved it. Hopefully they focus more on street level crime bosses and what not next season.

Same

Surtur
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
I loved it too. Admittedly biased because I love everything Jon Bernthal but the show was better than I expected it to be.

I enjoyed Mob City.

Adam Grimes
I was very pissed when it got cancelled, it had potential but Darabont just can't shut the phuck up.

Rick Deckard
Recently finished watching Netflix's The Punisher series. Incredible show. Rough, gritty, uncompromising, and brutal. It's tough to compare this to the other Marvel Netflix shows since it's got such a different vibe/tone, but it's definitely up there as one of my top 3 favorites - along with DD (both seasons) and Jessica Jones. There are some mild SPOILERS below, so don't read on if you haven't finished watching the series - and want to be genuinely surprised.

I've never been in the military or in combat, but my impression here is that this series at least appears to paint a somewhat realistic picture of what happens when some soldiers who come back from war & have a difficult time re-adjusting to civilian life because of severe PTSD. So, the storyline involving the disturbed young soldier who came back from overseas was quite poignant and sad, though it obviously didn't excuse his horrific actions. The actor playing this soldier also did a great job playing LHO in an excellent Hulu series, 11/22/63. It's was interesting that he played a similar character in both shows.

Though the whole series was great, to me things really ramped up in the last 4 episodes - starting with the soldier's attack on the hotel (trying to take out the congressman), which led directly up to the finale.

My favorite sequence in the whole series was when the mercenaries (on Billy Russo's team) invaded the basement/bunker that Frank & Micro had been holed up, and then were subsequently taken out by Frank (who had set them up) - who seemed to do so without even breaking a sweat.

One of the most difficult scenes to watch was when the young soldier was standing in the meat locker & counting down to the end, while The Punisher stood outside & understandably encouraged him.

Looking forward, I agree that it will be interesting to see where the character goes from here. He's avenged his family & is obviously at a loss as to what to do next. As we saw in the comics, will he go ahead and wage a one-man war on criminals? Will he team up with Micro again? The only thing that's obvious to me is that Jigsaw will probably appear in the future as Frank's nemesis.

Also wanted to mention that JB's depiction of The Punisher is far, far superior to any other on-screen depiction of the character (Dolph Lundgren, Thomas Jane, and the UK actor who starred in Punisher: War Zone). Amazing casting by Netflix, but there's no surprise there - since they also did an amazing job casting DD/Matt Murdock, The Kingpin, Foggy Nelson, Elektra, etc. in the DD Netflix series.The Punisher

Adam Grimes
You work for netflix, don't you?

Rick Deckard
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
You work for netflix, don't you?

Nope. I'm just a huge fan of most Netflix shows, especially their Marvel ones. I've been a fan of Marvel comics ever since I was a kid in the '80's, and IMHO Netflix does a stellar job of both casting & producing shows based on the comics. I can't say the same for many Marvel films, however.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by BackFire
Agreed. Loved it. Hopefully they focus more on street level crime bosses and what not next season.

I'm with you on that. The first episode was awesome taking out those crime bosses at the poker game.

Lestov16
Still hold my original assessment. It's a great military conspiracy thriller, but not a good Punisher story, and a needlessly overcomplicated and prolonged backstory.

Mindset
Originally posted by Lestov16
Still hold my original assessment. It's a great military conspiracy thriller, but not a good Punisher story, and a needlessly overcomplicated and prolonged backstory. Nope, fight me.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Lestov16
Still hold my original assessment. It's a great military conspiracy thriller, but not a good Punisher story, and a needlessly overcomplicated and prolonged backstory. Everyone has opinions and nobody can be right all the time. Don't feel bad.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.