Best Star Wars film as of now and why you think so

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

EmperorSidious2
Not sure if this is been done, most likely has but what the heck. The title says it all.

chilled monkey
The Force Awakens.

Why do I think so? Quite simply, it was fun to watch. The PT movies are dull and boring (mainly due to the cast having as much feeling as blocks of wood and the silly, lifeless duels). The OT movies are okay but I don't really care about any of the characters that much.

TFA however had characters I loved, especially Rey and Finn. Plus it had great action and some good humour. It was just a joy to watch.

NewLanceWindu
Empire is still number 1. A New Hope is number. The Force Awakens is 3.

quanchi112
Revenge of the Sith.

Rebel95
Hard to choose just one. ESB, TFA and ROTS are definitely top 3 for me though

queeq
ESB... easy.

Lord Lucien
Revenge of the Sith. It's just so dense, every single image has so many things going on.

Trocity
Originally posted by quanchi112
Revenge of the Sith.

We are in agreement.

JediRobin23
Rotj.

Although, force awakens in my current favorite as I've seen the others way too many times...

Bashar Teg
RotJ. i don't have to explain myself.

queeq
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Revenge of the Sith. It's just so dense, every single image has so many things going on.

laughing out loud

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Rebel95
Hard to choose just one.

Agreed. Which is why I usually say ANH just for being the one to introduce us to this Galaxy Far Far Away.

queeq
Clever.

Galan007
Originally posted by queeq
ESB... easy. thumb up

Ushgarak
Clearly ESB- from ANH's solid enjoyable base, ESB turned the whole thing into a gripping character drama as well, and turned the 'good guys beat bad guys' theme on its head. Which ROTJ ruined a bit.

Poor ANH always does badly on lists like this- but it does much better if the films are ranked. It's rarely anyone's favourite but it's very often second or third.

It's also waaaay too early to judge TFA. Some of what people do not like about it- like it's very safe structure- may be judged far more kindly if the later films diverge from that. The opposite will happen if the other films are safe as well; TFA will take the blame.

Lord Lucien
Whenever this gets brought up in a real life conversation, and ANH gets ranked last of the OT (or last in general, the philistines), the naysayer's explanation always seems to revolve around the saber duel. Or Luke being whiny.

Yeah he's a bit whiny, and yeah the duel's not visually impressive, but... what else? Not alot of people ever seem to have anything else on their mind when they rank ANH. The f*cking duels, they keep taking top priority. It's a shame.

queeq
It is indeed.

Luke's whininess is not a problem to me. A bit of cheese is part of SW. And Luke was basically a child in ANH. And if you compare that to how Luke is in ROTJ, it's quite a beautiful character development.

And the lightsaber battle was superb at the time. It rocked the world. They invented something there that was taken to extreme ballet in the PT. But everyone knew what a lightsaber was after that fight.

EmperorSidious2
Kinda suprised that ROTS is evn with ESB as of now

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by EmperorSidious2
Kinda suprised that ROTS is evn with ESB as of now It's got sick lightsaber fights, bro! And that opening space battle is totes sweet! And it's soooo dark! That makes it automatically good, for some reason.

queeq
laughing out loud

Yeah ROTS is not the league of ESB.

relentless1
Revenge of the Sith...best lightsaber fights, darkest film in the series (the bad guys win) and the Emperor is my favourite character and this was his movie to shine...Ian McDiarmid knocked that performance out of the park.

Lord Lucien
Ugh.

Trocity
Yeah, screw him for liking what he likes.

Lord Lucien
Your words, not mine.

queeq
Indeed.

Ushgarak
To be fair, though, in a thread like this, I'd prefer it if we didn't show disdain for someone else's pick as favourite- there are enough threads where people rip- apart one film or another. Here, just let people like what they like, and only comment about what you like.

Lord Lucien
Yeah. Lookn' at you, Trocity. You bastard.

queeq
Interesting to see ESB and ROTS battling it out for best SW picture. Doesn't do much credit to ANH or TFA if you ask me. Good to see AOTC and TPM score zero points... wink

Lord Lucien
Thankfully. RotS is best of the worst, but that it gets ranked up with ESB just because it's "so dark" and has "the best lightsaber fights", is just so... disheartening.

Whatevs, ESB all the way.

queeq
I'd hope people would go for 'best story'. But then all PT movies would drop to the bottom...

red8
Attack of the Clones is the only Star Wars movie that I can say, looking back, is a bad movie. I enjoyed it when I first saw it though. Even now, I like Kenobi's parts and the battle on Geonosis was alright. I also liked Anakin's scene with Padme after he killed the Tusken Raiders. Most of Anakin's scenes were awful though and I didn't care for the Yoda vs Dooku battle, but I understand why they needed to put that in.

The Force Awakens was the first Star Wars movie I was disappointed in. It didn't feel fresh at all. It was easy to predict Han's death because of how similar most of the movie was to A New Hope. This took a lot out of that scene in my opinion. And there really was no sense of urgency or suspense when they attacked Starkiller base. In A New Hope, attacking the Death Star felt like a do or die moment. I was much more attached to the plot and the characters. I also strongly dislike Kylo Ren as a villain. His whole motivation of wanting to become as powerful as Vader is just lame. I do believe that he can become a more interesting character though. Overall, I would watch TFA again because it's not a bad movie, but I will never feel about it like I feel about the original trilogy.

I never saw the cartoon movie.

My favorite movie changes from time to time. Most of the time my favorite movie is either A New Hope or Return of the Jedi. Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith would be the next tier down from those in my favorites list.

I actually liked the Phantom Menace, but it definitely had its problems. I tolerated Jar Jar, but I felt like a lot of the movie was unnecessary filler. I don't care for the Red Letter Media rants, but they said something that really connected with me. When Qui Gon died and Kenobi got angry and then charged at Maul, I really didn't care. Kinda like the Force Awakens, I wasn't emotionally invested in the characters and it really didn't matter to me what happened.

queeq
My major problem with the PT.

Beniboybling
Empire Strikes Back most of the time, Revenge of the Sith is a close second.

On the topic of ROTS hate, I would be interested to hear what people dislike about that movie. I can understand why people wouldn't put it up there with ESB but not well versed on the general criticism.

Lord Lucien
In a very generalized, oversimplified word: soullessness.

All the PT are soulless feeling, for a myriad of reasons. Alot of people will casually say its the bad acting, or it was too much CGI, or they'll broadly label the problem as "Hayden Christensen sucks" or just say "Jar Jar."

It's so much more than that. Scene-by-scene the entire trilogy is emotionally, intellectually, creatively, and personally (as in the characters as "people) soulless. I've exhausted thesauruses before explaining all the unlikable and awful things I see in the PT. And that's WITHOUT condemning the plot holes, the inconsistencies, the technical bug-a-boos etc.

I'd put RotS higher than TPM or AotC just for two scenes: Padme's Ruminations, and the Opera House talk. And the accompanying musical scores. And it didn't have the horrendous love dialogue. But that's it.

Bashar Teg
i found TPM to be the most tolerable of the PT. i just feel that overall it's (at least relatively) a quality film that doesnt need to rely on gimmickry and fan-service to stay entertaining for general audiences/newbies. (though it certainly had its nauseating share of gimmickry and fan-service.)

as far as RotS, i didnt find anakins turn convincing or believable in any way. "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. anakin showed very litte anger and hate before turning to the darkside, (except toward those sand people in AotC, but they're not real people). he just went straight from fear (of losing padme) to "ok i guess i'll slaughter children if you say its a good idea". it's only after all this and after darth vader confronts padme/obiwan that we finally see this anger and hate.

i didn't enjoy duel mostly for it's complete lack of tension, which was the worst sin of all. and then finally when there is tension "i have the high ground", anakin gains an extra chromosome and allows obiwan to hack 3 limbs in perhaps the stupidest attack and the most anticlimactic lightsaber-stroke in the history of cinema.

also annoyed me that padme died of a broken cliche.

Lord Lucien
Yeah that was a long end-of-trilogy saber fight to end like it did. It had some tension and emotional weight to it (even if the causes for it were just... awful), but it wound up being like 20 minutes when interspliced with the Yoda/Palpatine duel. That's way too long. And the going all over crazy settings--tight rope walking, lava splashing, lava waterfalls, hoverboard rides down a lava river, lava river gymnastics and not a SINGLE singe on either of them... only to end on a river bank hop-and-chop, and Anakin somehow combusting next to the lava... lava they'd been hovering over, fighting around, and jumping THROUGH half the battle, but no, THIS time it's just close enough to ignite a dude.

Hated that fight. And the Yoda/Sidious duel was just a silly, self-indulgent special effects mess that went nowhere, ended abruptly for no apparent reason, and changed nothing.

The Grievous/Kenobi fight was ugly and fake as all get-up--and tensionless/emotionless/pointless.

The Dooku fight was okay, it got some things right--the lack of musical score and downplayed acrobatics/settings was appreciated. But I've bitched about its specifics recently...

What others? RotS had a lot of saber fights... The Palpatine v. Jedi fight was LOL worthy. Very silly. Kinda fun seeing the first two dropped like idiots with ADD, and Sidious making goofy faces when he's not half-CGI. Nothing praise-worthy otherwise. Again, the downplayed locale is still a nice change, if not anything redeeming.

I really don't get why people like the lightsaber duels in this film, they're pretty bland.

queeq
Well, they do LOOK flashy.

But yeah, I think the characters are all over the place. They are often inconsistent, mostly bland and monotonous. There's very little character development. And in general: stuff just happens. Often it doesn't make sense, nor do the way the characters respond or say things.

It all feels like someone decided to film a very first draft...

Lord Lucien
It's just a bunch of stuff that happened/

Ushgarak
Alrighty, like I said, folks, please take criticism to its own thread.

queeq
Well here it is: ESB is near perfect. I think Harrison Ford played Solo best in two movies: ESB and TFA.

Sith Master X
Revenge of the Sith for me simply because it's entertaining and well paced and it has the greatestest lightsaber duels ever...and the opening space battle...and then darth vader...and we hear him breath, then we see Tarkin!

It's the bestest.

queeq
Poll says otherwise. wink

JediRobin23
Each movie has its own best qualities. That's why it's tough to decide...

queeq
How politically correct... wink

Trocity
Originally posted by queeq
Poll says otherwise. wink

Poll says ROTS is better than ANH and ROTJ... wink

ares834
Poll also says 8 people are more into mindless cartoon action then characterization and plot.

Lord Lucien
But da litesabr r so fckin sick bra

queeq
Tot'ly!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.