Man ordered to tell police if he plans to have sex

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
A headline so good I could not improve upon it. Take a look:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-35385227

Now, this may all be very necessary- but what do we think about the power being exercised here? Remember, this is a man who has not been convicted of anything. Can we start deeming people sexual risks without any convictions?

ArtificialGlory
This is asinine. I could almost understand if the man was a convicted rapist, but this? Absurd.

-Pr-
****ing awful.

Robtard
Yeah, that's silly. He was cleared of the rape charge(s), he shouldn't have to submit to anything pertaining to not being a rapist.

Bardock42
This seems ridiculous and ineffective even if he was convicted of a crime. That apparently he was found not guilty and still has to do that seems like an severe abuse of power, and something the government should not have the power to do.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ushgarak
A headline so good I could not improve upon it. Take a look:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-35385227

Now, this may all be very necessary- but what do we think about the power being exercised here? Remember, this is a man who has not been convicted of anything. Can we start deeming people sexual risks without any convictions?

Okay, first of all, teehee.

Secondly, why does the UK seem like it is stepping back into the middle ages, lately? Like...as of the last 10 years, they have regressed quite severely.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Bardock42
This seems ridiculous and ineffective even if he was convicted of a crime. That apparently he was found not guilty and still has to do that seems like an severe abuse of power, and something the government should not have the power to do.

Well, they are done by magistrates, not government, and it;s all on a local level.

I'd be interested to know how much effort goes into this. I could draw an equivalence to mental health issus- if the right people deem a man a danger to others, he can be restricted without conviction. If the same sort of standard is applied here, then these might be ok.

I just don't want it to be the police saying 'this guy may be a problem'.

Surtur
It's always heartwarming to know the USA does not hold a monopoly on justice systems that need a complete and utter overhaul.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.