Why are people so furious about the Canon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKBart
Fock the people that are adhering too much to the structure of official canon.

Why? If the EU invented some "cool Force power", why can't it be used in "new canon" story to add the entertaining/original/suprising/poetic twist to it? It can't be used just because it existed before in the previous canon? That's the reason for banning the stuff that would otherwise perfectly suit the current canon?

Screw that damned logic!

There were times in the EU that people didn't really care that much about canon. There was only the line of thought like this:
Well, that stuff was really retarded for the SW universe. Yeah it doesn't suit the SW universe. It doesn't fit the rest of the story. Better screw it.
Also there were lightsabers of Ventress that turned out to belong to Komari Vosa before, and stuff like that. References, easter eggs..

Or the Infinities series - not really happening stuff, non-canon, but cool.

So why are people obsessed by canon and avoiding things that were used before?

Trocity
The Infinities stories were goofy

Syndicate
I don't give a shit about what is and isn't canon. I give a shit that some EU series like TFU will never be continued.

Darth Abonis
It's frustrating to have something grow for 30 years and then stopped; the reboot was like the death of an organism. I try to throw the old EU out and accept the NEU, but it's haunting the corners of my subconcious mainly because of great content we lost. Sure we lost a lot of crap too but Star Wars is like pizza and sex, even when it isn't good, it's still good. For me I just want Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison and the Darth Plagueis novel back in canon and Thrawn re-appearing in new content.

Revanchiste
Originally posted by JKBart
Fock the people that are adhering too much to the structure of official canon.

Why? If the EU invented some "cool Force power", why can't it be used in "new canon" story to add the entertaining/original/suprising/poetic twist to it? It can't be used just because it existed before in the previous canon? That's the reason for banning the stuff that would otherwise perfectly suit the current canon?

Screw that damned logic!

There were times in the EU that people didn't really care that much about canon. There was only the line of thought like this:
Well, that stuff was really retarded for the SW universe. Yeah it doesn't suit the SW universe. It doesn't fit the rest of the story. Better screw it.
Also there were lightsabers of Ventress that turned out to belong to Komari Vosa before, and stuff like that. References, easter eggs..

Or the Infinities series - not really happening stuff, non-canon, but cool.

So why are people obsessed by canon and avoiding things that were used before?

This what I exatcly said, but without my silly personality.

Now people are like :
THIS IS NON CANON STUFF ! THAT STUFF IS HERESY ! YOU SHOULD NOT EVEN MENTION IT ! In the great glory of disney do not mention that have been deleted because even if that was great and have some really good stuff, it should be forgotten.

I have this feeling now..
Even from people that recognise that the EU was great.

JKBart
Originally posted by Revanchiste
This what I exatcly said, but without my silly personality.

Now people are like :
THIS IS NON CANON STUFF ! THAT STUFF IS HERESY ! YOU SHOULD NOT EVEN MENTION IT ! In the great glory of disney do not mention that have been deleted because even if that was great and have some really good stuff, it should be forgotten.

I have this feeling now..
Even from people that recognise that the EU was great.

yiz i translated it to make the thread more debatable

Jmanghan
-Licks him-

Beniboybling
Originally posted by JKBart
yiz i translated it to make the thread more debatable You speak Revanchiste, Bart?

JKBart
Originally posted by Beniboybling
You speak Revanchiste, Bart?

yiz smile smile smile

t. official translator

Beniboybling
You've found your calling. smile

Q99
The thing is, now we have *two* continuities. Really the only difference is to keep them separate.

And a lot of the stories in the old EU got a chance to wrap up. We know how things go up to 138 years after Yavin. TOR is going on. Yadda yadda.

FreshestSlice
No. We don't have two continuities now. We have canon, and stories told by parents to their kids at night. Legends isn't valid in anyway, however Disney would be especially retarded to not cash in, so they keep selling it.

Ushgarak
You need a canon policy in debates like this otherwise discussions degenerate into irreconcilable nonsense because different parties are arguing from a different set of continuities.

That's all it is- a rule to make sure people are talking about the same thing. Working from the (I believe reasonable) principle that the Disney canon is the most relevant one, being the current, official one that SW material made now follows, that one is taken as the default.

Beyond that, no, canon doesn't matter at all. Like what you want to like. If you want to discuss a non-canon continuity, just make it clear.

Q99
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
No. We don't have two continuities now. We have canon, and stories told by parents to their kids at night. Legends isn't valid in anyway, however Disney would be especially retarded to not cash in, so they keep selling it.

That's not right, and is frankly pretty silly.

Even if it's not the active continuity, it's still a continuity that exists. It didn't poof, vanish when Disney continuity appeared.

There's a lot of stuff that has multiple continuities. It's not that hard to juggle them and keep them separate.

I find both, "Why can't I use EU in canon arguments?" and "You can't use EU/Legends, it doesn't exist any more," to be equally silly.

Revanchiste
Originally posted by Ushgarak
You need a canon policy in debates like this otherwise discussions degenerate into irreconcilable nonsense because different parties are arguing from a different set of continuities.

That's all it is- a rule to make sure people are talking about the same thing. Working from the (I believe reasonable) principle that the Disney canon is the most relevant one, being the current, official one that SW material made now follows, that one is taken as the default.

Beyond that, no, canon doesn't matter at all. Like what you want to like. If you want to discuss a non-canon continuity, just make it clear.

Ha moderators.. always so narrow minded.

Originally posted by Q99

Even if it's not the active continuity, it's still a continuity that exists. It didn't poof, vanish when Disney continuity appeared.

There's a lot of stuff that has multiple continuities. It's not that hard to juggle them and keep them separate.

I find both, "Why can't I use EU in canon arguments?" and "You can't use EU/Legends, it doesn't exist any more," to be equally silly.

I'd like to ask. That both continuity share many commun part.. As Matt Wilkins enlighted it, Disney canon is a cluster**** because of teh reboot of something that big, that have a gigantic heritage. + "TWC" canon and clone war 2003 (written by george lucas himself) non canon. TWC is not mean to be really canon, it is a nice show that explore and exploit the EU even if the scenarist do not really know the EU...
+Like I say the EU lay so many cool stuff so the new canon has to rieap off old stuff. They are things to great in the EU to be even forgotten. Those thing are now part of the star wars universe no matter the continuity. (Example Korriban, Thrawn etc.)

So Here it is mister moderator. That's why it is so motherfocking damn stupid to think the way you think.. I haven't say all I wanted to say and explain.. But just by thinking about what I have begin to write.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbPxO8vec08

Don't belive me yet? Watch the video... It will give you some other clue to understand why it is that stupid.

Revanchiste
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbPxO8vec08

Don't belive me yet? Watch the video... It will give you some other clue to understand why it is that stupid.

It is not just a story.. Star war is a mother ****ing universe. Star is mother freakin space + advanced technology. It is exploration, world building ! Exploration in term of knowlege, technology, planet envirnement species, cultures, but also history, and because it is star wars there is also the force. And this is why the EU was so great.
It is not just simple story telling. EU introduice freakin awsome thing like the inetrdictor B-wwings A-Wings, Tie defender, it is blaster disruptors. And look at rebels dammit. Those thing are mother freakin immortal !

The paradox of the EU is that there was a solid continuity. Whitout a continuity.
Manythings were just independent, with a diffferent author style and ambiance different characters. And still form one and unique story.
In fact they were an infinities of story, in just one big universe.There was hundred of different canon... As many as they were author. But all those author were working with the same universe and thing that they introduce like the B-Wing were part of that universe...

It was just working like that.

There was what this dude had written is quite accurate, or this things is totaly new but too awsome to be forgotten (AKA republic commandos and CRA)

The point of view of the canon policies is just too ignorant and stupid to me.

Revanchiste
The point of view of the canon policies is just too ignorant and stupid to me.

Beside the new canon is too limited to be revalant to me. The old EU still the biggest room to explore. So in that way of thinkink the old EU is the one that we should follow for now...
Because disney EU is just too young and small, and cannot do shit without redoing so old EU stuff....

What should be consider canon Korriban? This awsome planet that we know a shit ton about it that was central in mutiple plot. Wich is a hudge stone of the star wars mthology. or moraband that appear in one episode that was not even ready for realease, and written by dude that did not know what they were doing?

Should cnaoncicity should be ty to official thing? or just by a common sens of logic that you obtain via conflict and confrontation of ideas?
As it was before. people that interact with the material and discuss with other knew what the canon was without having to read the official canon.
They knew what kind of Game mecanic were realistic to teh star wars universe.

No need of an official canon if your people can argue between each other and are not as stubborn as me or many guys on this forum. it should be fine.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Q99

Well said

Originally posted by Q99

Exactly. For example Spiderman has multiple continuities. The comics, the Sam Raimi movies, the more recent movies, the various cartoon series etc. All of them are equally valid. It just means that if we wanted to debate say, "Sam Raimi movie Spiderman" then we can't use material from the comics/cartoons in that debate because those are different versions.

Originally posted by Q99

Again, well said.

This.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Q99

It's not a different continuity because none of it is valid, no matter how silly you think it is. There was no divergence somewhere. No two directions. Legends simply never happened. That's why it was so aptly named Legends. That was like the entire point. It's Reboot 101 at its most simple. It's like claiming Wolfenstein is just a different timeline in our world that totally happened and will happen, so it's a historical source.

Q99
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
It's not a different continuity because none of it is valid, no matter how silly you think it is.

"Valid." You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

It is no longer official to the current material.

It is still valid as an entity unto itself, the same as any other old book series. Just because a new iteration comes along and becomes the new official, doesn't mean you can't discuss the old.

I mean, I'm a comic fan. DC's got pre-crisis, post-crisis, and nu52. Nu52 is currently the only official/canon one. They are all, however, valid stories one can read and enjoy, even if two no longer get new material.

The existent printed books beg to different.

It did not happen in the canon continuity, but in real life, it was printed the same as any other story.

It's a separate set of stories now.

You don't seem to have a good grasp of how reboots work. It doesn't make the old stories not exist, it makes the old stories separate and no longer connected to the new ones.

That's not how reboots work with DC comics, or Tenchi Muyo anime, or the dozen major Transformers universes.

That's not even remotely the same thing smile

I will note that Wolfenstein does exist as a fictional construct without any doubt.

To say that the EU/Legends doesn't exist as stories and can't be discussed is quite silly indeed.

NewGuy01

As much as I really don't care, I feel it's worth pointing out that this is the EU section; in other words, the Legends section. Having Disney canon take precedence here as the default doesn't really make much sense.

Darth Thor
^ EU stands for Expanded Universe. Not sure why that would mean Legends. The current "Canon" Marvel comics are also Expanded Universe.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ EU stands for Expanded Universe. Not sure why that would mean Legends. The current "Canon" Marvel comics are also Expanded Universe. Nah eu is legends and canon is canon, sport.

Revanchiste
Originally posted by quanchi112
Nah eu is legends and canon is canon, sport.
facepalm.

Revanchiste
facepalm.

Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ EU stands for Expanded Universe. Not sure why that would mean Legends. The current "Canon" Marvel comics are also Expanded Universe.

Yep and the similarities between teh new Eu and old EU are quite.... hum light.

And this for a simple reason : Since TPM, star wars became an entire universe to explore. in time location, knowledge, techonology civilisation and culture.

StiltmanFTW
At least it's simple now...

Canon | Legends

Weren't there various degrees of canon before? That was quite confusing.

Q99
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

Weren't there various degrees of canon before? That was quite confusing.

Yea, and I suppose those basically apply within legends...

In short, it was, Movies > TV > Most other stuff > 'secondary' canon like the original marvel star wars comic, early stuff that doesn't fit right and may be used or ignored by later authors as desired > Non-canon, infinities and similar.

chilled monkey
Since TPM, star wars became an entire universe to explore. in time location, knowledge, techonology civilisation and culture.

What?

Star Wars was an entire universe to explore long before TPM. For example "Tales of the Jedi."

Ushgarak
Originally posted by NewGuy01
As much as I really don't care, I feel it's worth pointing out that this is the EU section; in other words, the Legends section. Having Disney canon take precedence here as the default doesn't really make much sense.

Please take a look at the stickied canon thread at the top of the page. 'EU section' is no longer the appropriate name for this section.

And Revanchiste, calm the heck down. If you keep posting aggressively like that you will be banned.

DarthAnt66
Ush, who blocked member registration here. You or Raz?

I ask in public since you ignore all my PMs and what not.

FreshestSlice
Calm the heck down, Ant. You and aggressively asking questions needs to stop.

DarthAnt66
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M8vei3L0L8&t=0m30s

Revanchiste

Revanchiste
P.S :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyFzSsMrqgE

FreshestSlice
RIP Revanchiste.

Emperordmb

Revanchiste
Originally posted by Emperordmb

I'd like to say I'm getting better.
At that Time I had prolem with my S key and you were morning about it like it was my fault and I was getting insane about it..

And now SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssS S ss Since.. Since when I can my S key again?? Ho wait ! Nobody remember that's right.

Emperordmb
Seems you have quite the interest in people mating with Vitiate. Care to elaborate?

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Ush, who blocked member registration here. You or Raz?

I ask in public since you ignore all my PMs and what not.
Turns out Ush asked Raz to close it due to socking.

Good job, Ush. Certainly helped the community there! thumb up

We won't have to worry about socks anymore... or new members. no expression

I say this in public since you ignore my messages in private. smile

FreshestSlice
You're not allowed to say that, Ant.

quanchi112
facepalm. Yes, hang your head in shame.

Ushgarak

Moron banned.

As if anyone would ask for that to happen. Try to apply some common sense, people. Forum registration is not disabled. it's not working, and like all things it needs Raz to sort out.

Revanchiste

You know ****ing damn moderator.. Always the same kind of boring and stupidly narrow-minded personality...

And also big lyers and coward that love to be above the rules. When they are wrong about somehing they keep silence about it.. Always....

"Moron banned.

As if anyone would ask for that to happen. Try to apply some common sense, people. Forum registration is not disabled. it's not working, and like all things it needs Raz to sort out."

You confirm the stereotype you stupid. Using ban as an argumentation.... How low that is.. And yet still so classic... But yoru justification quite hold compare to thing that I have seen. Even tho, the ban is not justified.

More time pass, and more I hate moderators....

Darth Thor
LMAO

These guys should just PM Ush to ban them.

Emperordmb
91 days? That's pretty excessive for mod criticism, but whatever.

carthage
Good riddance to Revanchiste

FreshestSlice
That's also a criticism, DMB... Reported.

Beniboybling
This will be a day long remembered. smile

Ushgarak

Not the first offence- or even the first ban for that reason.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Syndicate
TFU will never be continued. Thankfully.

Q99
Things I would like to see continued- Legacy (we had two, three would be cool), Knight Errant, Dawn of the Jedi.

Syndicate
Not the first offence- or even the first ban for that reason.

I think you're taking the words of a 15 year old a little too seriously.

*Sticks hand near Ush's crack*

*Pulls out underwear that was stuck up there*

*Syn casts life spell on Ush's ungarments*

*Undegarment thanks Syn profusely for saving it from suffocation*

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Syndicate
I think you're taking the words of a 15 year old a little too seriously.

*Sticks hand near Ush's crack*

*Pulls out underwear that was stuck up there*

*Syn casts life spell on Ush's ungarments*

*Undegarment thanks Syn profusely for saving it from suffocation*

A 15-year-old French Kid.

Sinious
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Thankfully. thumb up

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Jmanghan
A 15-year-old French Kid.

...French? Try Puerto Rican.

|King Joker|
A 15-year-old French Kid. why the **** did you think Ant was French LMAO

FreshestSlice
He thinks Syn we talking about Revanchiste.

carthage
Ant is Puerto Rican?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by |King Joker|
why the **** did you think Ant was French LMAO I didn't .-.

Its pretty clear I was talking about Revanchiste.

There's no way Syn was referencing something else, because it would've made no sense.

Emperordmb
I didn't .-.

Its pretty clear I was talking about Revanchiste.

There's no way Syn was referencing something else, because it would've made no sense.
He was referencing Ant, who is fifteen.

Tzeentch
Ant is 15?

Emperordmb
I thought this was common knowledge.

Jmanghan
He was referencing Ant, who is fifteen.

That makes 0 sense considering he banned Revanchiste, but ok... :/

Ant is Fifteen?????

Jmanghan
Revanchiste just hit the 15-year-old mark, the way he talks, and acts.

Constantly uses "XD".

He just SEEMS underaged, so I assumed he was talking about Revanchiste.

ares834
That makes 0 sense considering he banned Revanchiste, but ok... :/

Ant is Fifteen?????

It makes a ton of sense considering he also banned Ant...

:/

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ares834
It makes a ton of sense considering he also banned Ant...

:/ I hadn't looked at the first or second page, LOL.

Emperordmb
Revanchiste just hit the 15-year-old mark, the way he talks, and acts.

Constantly uses "XD".

He just SEEMS underaged, so I assumed he was talking about Revanchiste.
Here's the thing, none of us know any of Revanchiste's IRL info because he is an enigma who continues to defy definition. Ant's name and age, by contrast, are no secret.

Q99
I've seen people write in a hyperactive way like that and be in their 40s.

A lot of posters people assume to be really young, really aren't.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.