Bear with me, this rambles some

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
And i ask only because i tried researching it and got nothing satisfactory.

Two kids, one is born in the US, but emigrates (with parents) at 6 months to say, Canada, and grows up there.
One Canadian born kid (with parents) at the same age, comes to, and grows up in, the US.
Who is more American, in your opinion?

How about legally, which is where i brick walled.
Would the Canadian raised kid be able to run for president?
What if both sets of parents took citizenship tests, would the American raised kid be considered eligible for the presidency?
If not, would he at least be considered legally American because his parents became so, or would he need to take a citizenship test of his own eventually?

Surtur
I thought this would be about bears sad

Anyways for me being an American is more then simply being born in the country. Likewise someone who only lived here for their first 6 months of life wouldn't really be un-american or overly american. Just a baby that doesn't know anything(f*ck babies).

So I don't know about the legalities, but I would say the person who lived here most of their life would be more of an American then someone who was born here and spent the first 6 months of their life here and then was raised in another country.

As for the president, I do know Ted Cruz was born in Canada and apparently is eligible to run. Personally I'd want our president to at least of spent a majority of their life in this country.

Time-Immemorial
This could't go in the primary thread? Is riv that retarded, this title and OP are terrible.

riv6672
Originally posted by Surtur
I thought this would be about bears sad

Anyways for me being an American is more then simply being born in the country. Likewise someone who only lived here for their first 6 months of life wouldn't really be un-american or overly american. Just a baby that doesn't know anything(f*ck babies).

So I don't know about the legalities, but I would say the person who lived here most of their life would be more of an American then someone who was born here and spent the first 6 months of their life here and then was raised in another country.

As for the president, I do know Ted Cruz was born in Canada and apparently is eligible to run. Personally I'd want our president to at least of spent a majority of their life in this country.
Thanks, Surtur.
And, next time i see a bear (which i do every so often actually), i will for sure let you know!

Flyattractor
Oh Young PadawaRiv....That aint a RANT!

That's just a paragraph that is mite mift!

Bardock42
Originally posted by riv6672
And i ask only because i tried researching it and got nothing satisfactory.

Two kids, one is born in the US, but emigrates (with parents) at 6 months to say, Canada, and grows up there.
One Canadian born kid (with parents) at the same age, comes to, and grows up in, the US.
Who is more American, in your opinion?

How about legally, which is where i brick walled.
Would the Canadian raised kid be able to run for president?
What if both sets of parents took citizenship tests, would the American raised kid be considered eligible for the presidency?
If not, would he at least be considered legally American because his parents became so, or would he need to take a citizenship test of his own eventually?

In my opinion the one growing up and living in the US is more American.

Legally, the phrasing "natural born citizen", which is a requirement for the US presidency, is not quite clear (take Ted Cruz and the argument surrounding his eligibility). However, it is pretty much uncontentious that a child born in Canada to non-American/Canadian parents is NOT eligible to be president of the United States, while a child born in the United States is eligible.

The citizenship test doesn't matter.

A child can obtain citizenship (though not the right to run for president) through the parents naturalization after the birth, but it's not a default thing, and some requirements need to be met, you can read more about it here: https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-parents (particularly the second table addresses your question in specific).

Time-Immemorial
He's not eligible, and he just renounced his Canadian citizenship 15 months ago. I don't care what any one says.

Stigma
Canadians are more American than Americans.

riv6672
Not being overly political, Cruz never entered my mind here. I saw a commercial for Fresh off the Boat (sitcom), where a white guy told the asian couple who stars in the show he was born on a layover to Thailand, and so considred himself Thai. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.