University of Oregon Controversy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
Student leaders at the University of Oregon debated removing a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. from its student center, arguing that the quote was not inclusive enough for modern understandings of diversity.

Oregon’s Erb Memorial Union, which is currently under renovation, had the following famous King quote on the wall: “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. I have a dream…”

ADVERTISING

But as renovation continues, the Oregon Student Union seriously considered replacing that quote. “The quote is not going to change,” reports student paper Oregon Daily Emerald, “but that decision was not made without some hard thought by the Student Union Board.”

When the student union considered the question, some students asked, “Does the MLK quote represent us today?” The problem wasn’t so much the message, but the fact that it only focused on racial diversity instead of gender identity.

“Diversity is so much more than race,” said one sophomore architecture major. “Obviously race still plays a big role. But there are people who identify differently in gender and all sorts of things like that.”

Ironically, the King quote was to the lobby after students complained about another quote. Until 1985, the wall declared the University of Oregon “leader in the quest for the good life for all men.” That was replaced with the King quote after feminists objected to the implication that Oregon only cared about “men.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/u-of-oregon-debates-removing-mlk-quote-for-not-being-inclusive-enough/

Time-Immemorial
Comment below

"How soon will the following timeless phrase be obsolete, "All men are created equal?" It's amazing how liberals like to complain about the 'whitewashing" of history even as they seek to re-write it to fit their agenda. If they succeed in editing the famous MLK quote to include the LGBT community, we will have to coin a new word for their efforts. Call it "rainbow washing."

Flyattractor
What? A bunch of LIBERAL ELITIST SNOBS getting all pizzy bout something....while in COLLEGE!?

Surley you josh!!!!!!

Stigma
So liberals want to censor Martin Luther King now. Oh gosh.

jaden101
Not to worry. They can always change it to "work sets you free" to keep you guys happy.

Lestov16
It was a debate about the context of the quote. Not surprised the right wing is trying to spin it for their racist "blacks are self-entitled" agenda

Time-Immemorial
Actually thats not what is happening at all. The students are saying that Martin Luthers quote is not all inclusive enough.

I'm pretty sure there was not a progressive lbtg movement like there is today back in Kings day, however that does not dilute what he said at all, and this reaction to take it down is ridiculous..

jaden101
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Actually thats not what is happening at all. The students are saying that Martin Luthers quote is not all inclusive enough.

I'm pretty sure there was not a progressive lbtg movement like there is today back in Kings day, however that does not dilute what he said at all, and this reaction to take it down is ridiculous..

You're right. It is ridiculous. Maybe if his dream had come true it'd be a bit out of date but it's probably more resonant with the times now.

One Big Mob
Originally posted by Lestov16
It was a debate about the context of the quote. Not surprised the right wing is trying to spin it for their racist "blacks are self-entitled" agenda ...

What

Bardock42
Looking at the source article this doesn't seem like a "controversy" as the thread claims at all. Apparently the student Union discussed whether to keep or change the quote and decided to keep it. Checking whether quotes that we put on things are in line with our values today seems like a good and smart thing to do, and it doesn't seem like anyone is complaining actually.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Bardock42
Looking at the source article this doesn't seem like a "controversy" as the thread claims at all. Apparently the student Union discussed whether to keep or change the quote and decided to keep it. Checking whether quotes that we put on things are in line with our values today seems like a good and smart thing to do, and it doesn't seem like anyone is complaining actually.

Nice Spin. And just because its not white vs black does not mean its not a controversy. It in fact is a controversy. In fact a synonym for argument is controversy.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/argument

"Student leaders at the University of Oregon debated removing a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. from its student center, arguing that the quote was not inclusive enough for modern understandings of diversity."

They are trying to remove literally the founder of black lives matter, which actually would be King, and not the band of hooligans we know today.

King was an honorable man, and there is zero reason why this should be taken down.

Bardock42
Nice Spin. And just because its not white vs black does not mean its not a controversy. It in fact is a controversy. In fact a synonym for argument is controversy.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/argument

"Student leaders at the University of Oregon debated removing a quote from Martin Luther King Jr. from its student center, arguing that the quote was not inclusive enough for modern understandings of diversity."

They are trying to remove literally the founder of black lives matter, which actually would be King, and not the band of hooligans we know today.

King was an honorable man, and there is zero reason why this should be taken down.

Not really, they discussed whether to put the quote up again after renovation and decided to do so. What you are saying is the actual right wing spin, you can see that the source makes no such argument: http://www.dailyemerald.com/2016/01/25/2438507/

Time-Immemorial
That is almost a completely parallel story vs the one I posted. How do we know who is telling the truth between the two sources?

Bardock42
That is almost a completely parallel story vs the one I posted. How do we know who is telling the truth between the two sources?

The one I posted, because the one you posted is based on the one I posted + right wing lies/spin.

Time-Immemorial
The source I posted does seem to put a right wing spin on it, I will agree with that.

Ushgarak
Don't make feeble semantic arguments TI. This is not a controversy in any useful application of the word- so this thread is just stirring up trouble. Closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.