Nintendo software only.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

VG_Addict
If the NX fails, could they go software only?

cdtm
They could afford a few losses. Not like they have Sony's or MS's overhead, they could keep losing money for awhile and be allright.

But if they re smart, they'd do it. Much, much more money to be made putting Mario on everyone elses platform.

VG_Addict
Would they really do better?

Smasandian
Man, you ask this question every few months it seems.

I don't understand how Nintendo is in a better position than MS and Sony for failure.

MS has other profit makers. There's something called Windows that seems to be all the rage these days. Also, let's not include their enterprise infrastructure, cloud business and software (Nintendo would probably kill hundreds for the profit MS Office suite produces. And don't forget the millions they get for support contracts.

Sony I have seen from articles is a bit more dire. They're movie and music business, hardware departments are not nearly producing the amount of profit it used too. The PS4 is their money maker.

Nintendo on the other hand has games and consoles. If one fails again, I don't know if they have ability to design another console if the previous two were duds.....

cdtm
Sure they do.

You know why Duke Nukem Forever took so long to make? Because they could afford to. 3d realms was sitting on a pile of money, and kept at their big sequel until the money ran out, many years later.

Nintendos in a similar position. They're sitting on more then enough money to keep going for a long time, even if met with failure after failure.

Jmanghan
Nintendo's handhelds have outsold a lot of Sony and MS main consoles.

Let that sink in for a second.

Bentley
Nintendo has been making profit as of late. They would rather make a lot more profit but for the last two years they stopped bleeding money.

cdtm
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Nintendo's handhelds have outsold a lot of Sony and MS main consoles.

Let that sink in for a second.

PSP and all six owners.

Vita, I don't even know someone who considered buying one.

Pretty much everybody has at least one Nintendo hand held, if they have any.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cdtm
PSP and all six owners.

Pretty much everybody has at least one Nintendo hand held, if they have any. Surprisingly, though, to this day, the 3DS still hasn't even come close to outselling the PSP.

I'm sure it will at some point, but it still hasn't as of today.

In fact, the only console to outsell the Nintendo DS was the PS2, which is the best-selling console of all time.

Jmanghan
PSP and all six owners.

Pretty much everybody has at least one Nintendo hand held, if they have any. Which is a shame, because the PS Vita is nowhere near a bad handheld, it surpasses the PSP in many ways, except for game library.

Some of the BEST PSP games will never see the light of day on the vita.

A sidenote, I do own a NDS, but it doesn't power on anymore.

R.I.P. Phantom Hourglass sad

Bentley
Surprisingly, though, to this day, the 3DS still hasn't even come close to outselling the PSP.

A huge part of that is the development of the mobile market, I'd argue that the PS Vita also took a hit because of that. Current handheld devices face stern competition from phones, so much that I fully expect the next generation of handhelds to be mostly compatible with Android game apps.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Bentley
A huge part of that is the development of the mobile market, I'd argue that the PS Vita also took a hit because of that. Current handheld devices face stern competition from phones, so much that I fully expect the next generation of handhelds to be mostly compatible with Android game apps. Well, the PSP ceased production in 2014, so there's that as well.

I doubt we can really count it as a fair fight during the first 5 years of the 3DS' life.

Regardless of the mobile market, the PSP was a massive commercial success for Sony, and practically all the games on it were PS2-quality games, in terms of Graphics AND Content.

Not arguing its better, but the PSP is a god compared to the PS Vita in terms of exclusives, because it had sooooo many ****ING games designed specifically for it as opposed to the VERY few Sony releases on the Vita, while the PSP was seen as a respectable high-end piece of hardware for its time that everyone wanted a piece of.

cdtm
All this talk of a psp had me check the prices..

Damn, they're pricy for an older system. 50-60 for refurbished-used. Was hoping to land a 20 dollar used system, but guess not..

cdtm
*Checks old Game Boys for hell of it*

Oh, **** you retro freaks.

Gamestop and speculators has ruined retro gaming. The 5 dollar antique just doesn't exist anymore..

Kazenji

Damn, they're pricy for an older system. 50-60 for refurbished-used. Was hoping to land a 20 dollar used system, but guess not..

That's actually cheap for that price.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji
That's actually cheap for that price. My Warrior of Light collectible costs more then that.

cdtm
Originally posted by Kazenji
That's actually cheap for that price.

Af going rates, I suppose.

Going rates being gouged to hell thanks to greedy ebay and Amazon sellers.

quanchi112
Nintendo has been such a disappointment in the last five years to me.

Khazra Reborn
I wish they would. All of their consoles post N64 have been mostly dog shit, but I like some of their first party titles.

Smasandian
Super Mario Maker is a fantastic game. The only reason why I bought a Wii U. I'm hoping they continue putting out more content because the game is certainly missing a fair bit of interesting things from the big collection of 2D Mario games.

It's actually one game I wish a big publishers like EA or Activision has because there is no way they wouldn't be doing massive DLC packs for it. And truthfully, I wish Nintendo does as well.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Smasandian
Super Mario Maker is a fantastic game. The only reason why I bought a Wii U. I'm hoping they continue putting out more content because the game is certainly missing a fair bit of interesting things from the big collection of 2D Mario games.

It's actually one game I wish a big publishers like EA or Activision has because there is no way they wouldn't be doing massive DLC packs for it. And truthfully, I wish Nintendo does as well. Smash on 3DS is the smartest thing they've ever done.

Bentley

It's actually one game I wish a big publishers like EA or Activision has because there is no way they wouldn't be doing massive DLC packs for it. And truthfully, I wish Nintendo does as well.

Yes, I'm pretty much in the same boat, SMM is a game with great potential and it deserves putting lots of resources into it.

Smasandian
Smash on 3DS is the smartest thing they've ever done.

No it isn't. It's a series that has been on every major Nintendo console since the N64. Putting it on the 3DS was assumed. It didn't take smarts to do that.

Creating Super Mario Maker was a much better decision.

Jmanghan
No it isn't. It's a series that has been on every major Nintendo console since the N64. Putting it on the 3DS was assumed. It didn't take smarts to do that.

Creating Super Mario Maker was a much better decision. I agree.

But what I meant was, there was never a version in Smash on Handhelds.

Smasandian
Probably because the handhelds couldn't really handle it.

Which is funny, because I remember play the original MK on GameBoy and loving it. Obviously, it was a piece of shit.

Jmanghan
Probably because the handhelds couldn't really handle it.

Which is funny, because I remember play the original MK on GameBoy and loving it. Obviously, it was a piece of shit. I remember loving Battlefront 2 on my PSP.

cdtm
Speaking of speculation bubbles, what's with Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart always having jacked up prices?

Sure, its a good series, but so's Zelda, Mario, and Metroid Prime, and they don't get pimped out for 100+ for just the disk with every single version. (Some, sure, but not all.)

I already own my copies, so it doesn't bother me for want to owning them, but I'm wonder why out of all the quality titles, it's always a specific set that seems hit with the "ultra premium collectible" hammer, and not others (Basically, Mario Kart, Smash, Mario Party are sure things here, above and beyond most other titles..)

Jmanghan
Speaking of speculation bubbles, what's with Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart always having jacked up prices?

Sure, its a good series, but so's Zelda, Mario, and Metroid Prime, and they don't get pimped out for 100+ for just the disk with every single version. (Some, sure, but not all.)

I already own my copies, so it doesn't bother me for want to owning them, but I'm wonder why out of all the quality titles, it's always a specific set that seems hit with the "ultra premium collectible" hammer, and not others (Basically, Mario Kart, Smash, Mario Party are sure things here, above and beyond most other titles..) I know right?

Looking up gamecubes on Amazon was easy enough, until I saw SSBM for $149.99, are they ****ing high?

Does anyone remember how expensive the Vegito and SSJ Bardock codes were for Dragon Ball Z: BOZ??

Smasandian
Because that's what people are willing to pay for.

Jmanghan
I mean, yeah.

But if you aren't willing to spend over 140$ on a game that was released more then 10 years ago, like most sane people, then you're ****ed.

cdtm
Because that's what people are willing to pay for.

I get that much, but there's usually something driving it.

Only thing I can figure, is those are all competitive games, and Nintendo didn't do DLC until recently. And competitive gamers tend to be the very definition of obsessive compulsive when it comes to getting even the slightest advantage, no matter the expense, which would make them hoard what copies exist, or pay through the nose to get one... (Which speculators probably know full well..)

Smasandian
This shouldn't even be a discussion because if you check Ebay, they have a ton of copies available for reasonable prices. It's only brand new copies that are going for that much money.

Which is expected because there probably isn't a lot of brand new copies of the game and you will need to pay a premium for it.

Jmanghan
People still use Ebay?

I thought Ebay was like Myspace, everyone moved on to Amazon and forgot Ebay existed.

Smasandian
I don't get you.

You repeatedly say you have no money to afford a $5 (yet can pay for Internet) yet you assume Amazon is the only place to buy things online.

I remember my brother in law (who is younger by 6 years) told me that students whose papers he was grading didn't know to use Google to search for things because they only get their stuff from Facebook.

cdtm
This shouldn't even be a discussion because if you check Ebay, they have a ton of copies available for reasonable prices. .

Everythings reasonable until the bidding heats up. stick out tongue

And.why do so many people like to downplay other peoples complaints? Even if I, personally, sold my copy of Smash Bros. Melee for 300 dollars, I'm not about to shoot down someone who complains about market prices being too high.

You can be a greedy capitalist and sympathise with the cheap skates of the world. Sure, it's hypocritical, but so what? It is what it is.

And what it is, specifically: Investors and profit driven speculators ruin every hobby they target by driving prices outside the range of many who simply want to enjoy the hobby.

It happened with comics, it happened with card games, it happened with games, and it eventually happens to every popular hobby.

Total bs, but that's life.

Bentley
Given that Nintendo seems to suck at mobile this might be a bad idea.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Bentley
Given that Nintendo seems to suck at mobile this might be a bad idea. This is a dumb thread, let it die.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.