White woman quotes black author, is called racist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
Just how ridiculous are we going to take this PC bullshit?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/elgin-courier-news/ct-ecn-jeanette-ward-facebook-post-st-0205-20160204-story.html

They even go on to say "oh it wouldn't of been a problem if she'd quoted a conservative black guy". Another example of a community pretending none of their problems come from within. They also keep saying the stuff the black author has said has been "discredited" to which, what?

They talk about how she shouldn't of used a school facebook account, but still went on to say if she used such an account to quote someone like Ben Carson it would be okay.

Newjak
I am unable to view your link. It keeps asking me to subscribe and when I decline it takes me to the front page.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160208/news/160209016/

I did find the above link which I was able to view.

According to that article she isn't being called racist because she quoted a black author. She is being called racist because she is quoting a black author that says black people are using racism as an excuse to be lazy and not solve their own problems.

I'm sorry but this statement is and has always come off as extremely racist to me. So if that is the case, once again I can not read your article, then I would say she is rightly being called out for possible racists comments. erm

I mean anytime a white person says or quotes sayings that promote the idea the problems of black america stems from their own laziness I tend to think they may be racists or have a problem.

And I know this topic is more nuanced than that but she very well could be racists because of those comments.

Surtur
So again, quoting another black person for what they say about the black community is racist?

Just to be clear, the black guy who said it, he's racist too, right? If it's racist for her to repeat the quote, it surely is racist for him to say it.

Since it surely can't be not racist if a black believes it, but becomes racist if a white believes it.

Oh, and the quote never calls blacks lazy:

"The notion that racism is holding back blacks as a group, or that better black outcomes cannot be expected until racism has been vanquished, is a dodge".

It says nothing of laziness there. The core message seems to be that blacks use the racial problems to dodge issues plaguing the community that have nothing to do with racism. Which, is that false to you?

Or the comment about black fathers which unfortunately..yeah, a strong parental unit is definitely something the community needs and something a lot lack. She also says the problems come from values and habits. Again: how can you say such a suggestion is 100% false?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Surtur
So again, quoting another black person for what they say about the black community is racist?

Just to be clear, the black guy who said it, he's racist too, right? If it's racist for her to repeat the quote, it surely is racist for him to say it.

Since it surely can't be not racist if a black believes it, but becomes racist if a white believes it.
You know it's possible for black people to hate/think poorly of other black people, right? And that quoting those people can be racist?

It's like quoting a self-hating Jew to confirm anti-Semitic beliefs.

Surtur
Originally posted by Omega Vision
You know it's possible for black people to hate/think poorly of other black people, right? And that quoting those people can be racist?

So again: is the black guy who said it racist against his own kind? Also what about if what is being said has some truth in it, is it wrong to quote?

It sounds like they are essentially telling her to shut up and only quote the blacks that ignore the flaws plaguing the community.

Newjak

Just to be clear, the black guy who said it, he's racist too, right? facepalm

This is not what I pointed out. Seriously this thread is misleading. Once again it's not that she quoted a black person that is upsetting people. It's the claims she is endorsing from the author. Basically it says that black people are too lazy to want to fix the problems that plague them. That's a pretty bold and silly claim to make imo. And yes racist to me.

Also Black people can be racists to other black people as well. I've seen it in person before.

Let me put it this way. If a black author made the claim that african americans have inferior brains to white people and a white person pushes that viewpoint. Would that not be racist? It would wouldn't it.

Once again you're thread is misleading because you make it sound like her quoting the black author is what people are calling her racists for instead of the black author's viewpoint she is endorsing.

Surtur
But where did she say they were lazy?

They are calling her a racist because she quoted a black man who was being critical of the black community. Nobody ever said "oh these lazy blacks, too lazy to do anything". It talked about the values and habits of the community(gang violence, etc.) having a toll. It talked about the lack of fathers, it talked about using racism as a dodge.

All those things, true or false to you? The thing is nothing was said about blacks being inferior, the author basically was saying "get your shit together" and she quoted it. If she agree's they should get their shit together then okay, where is the racism? You act like she retweeted a black dude saying "I love watermelon and chicken" and said "see! see!".

Newjak
But where did she say they were lazy?

They are calling her a racist because she quoted a black man who was being critical of the black community. Nobody ever said "oh these lazy blacks, too lazy to do anything". It talked about the values and habits of the community(gang violence, etc.) having a toll. It talked about the lack of fathers, it talked about using racism as a dodge.

All those things, true or false to you? The thing is nothing was said about blacks being inferior, the author basically was saying "get your shit together" and she quoted it. It's implied in the quote.

Basically it marginalizes the effects racism has on a society by saying that it is the Black Communities fault they are in such dire straights. Essentially it says that hte black community is being lazy waiting on the government to fix their problems. We can debate this topic till we are blue in the amount. But pretending that is not the central theme of the author she quoted. Pretending that her quoting such a thing could not have a racist undertone. Pretending that people are only upset that she quoted a black author. Well it's just silly and misleading about what people are upset with her over.

Bardock42
So again: is the black guy who said it racist against his own kind? Also what about if what is being said has some truth in it, is it wrong to quote?

It sounds like they are essentially telling her to shut up and only quote the blacks that ignore the flaws plaguing the community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internalized_racism

You're welcome.

Time-Immemorial
Oh great, newjak is back? I thought he was gone for good this time.

Bardock42
What a valuable contribution, TI.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Newjak
I am unable to view your link. It keeps asking me to subscribe and when I decline it takes me to the front page.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20160208/news/160209016/

I did find the above link which I was able to view.

According to that article she isn't being called racist because she quoted a black author. She is being called racist because she is quoting a black author that says black people are using racism as an excuse to be lazy and not solve their own problems.

I'm sorry but this statement is and has always come off as extremely racist to me. So if that is the case, once again I can not read your article, then I would say she is rightly being called out for possible racists comments. erm

I mean anytime a white person says or quotes sayings that promote the idea the problems of black america stems from their own laziness I tend to think they may be racists or have a problem.

And I know this topic is more nuanced than that but she very well could be racists because of those comments.

No, the black author she quoted is saying what I say: the liberal coddling is - at least sometimes - not helpful, it is racist, and the actual way to improve their situation is through determination and self-improvement.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
No, the black author she quoted is saying what I say: the liberal coddling is - at least sometimes - not helpful, it is racist, and the actual way to improve their situation is through determination and self-improvement.

You also happen to be racist though.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Bardock42
What a valuable contribution, TI.

laughing out loud

Anyways I think the woman is a little crazy.

Time-Immemorial

Who the hell are you to tell someone if they are racist or not? Last time I checked you are one of the biggest racists, and anti-women people here.

You basically think women can't do anything on their own and have to be coddled like children.

Newjak
No, the black author she quoted is saying what I say: the liberal coddling is - at least sometimes - not helpful, it is racist, and the actual way to improve their situation is through determination and self-improvement. Which has always been represented in the minds of people who disagree as black people being told they are lazy.

Regardless of what side you fall on the debate that has always been true for people that disagree. So it is a far cry from what the title of this thread presents as people's problems with her quote. It's not that she is quoting a black author that people are calling her racists for. It is the viewpoint of the author she is pushing.

So yes I believe people are not out of line to call her a potential racists for her quotes nor should be this much of an outrage that people are upset with her viewpoints.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Who the hell are you to tell someone if they are racist or not? Last time I checked you are one of the biggest racists, and anti-women people here.

You basically think women can't do anything on their own and have to be coddled like children.

That is literally the opposite of what I advocate.

Time-Immemorial
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/us/politics/gloria-steinem-madeleine-albright-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders.html?_r=0

"There is a special place in hell for women who don't help each other."

This bigoted old women thinks any women who does not support Hilary is going to hell.laughing out loud

What a stupid old women.

Newjak
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/us/politics/gloria-steinem-madeleine-albright-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders.html?_r=0

"There is a special place in hell for women who don't help each other."

This bigoted old women thinks any women who does not support Hilary is going to hell.laughing out loud

What a stupid old women. Did you post in the wrong thread? Because this does not seem relevant to topic of this thread.

Adam_PoE
She is not being called a racist because she quoted a black author. She is being called a racist because she quoted a black author to support her racism.

If one was transphobic for example, he could quote mine any number of criticisms of the trans community by trans people to support his views. It does not make him any less transphobic that he could find a single trans person who appears to agree with him.

Time-Immemorial
The women is pretty dumb

ArtificialGlory
The women is pretty dumb

Yea, she is.

dadudemon

Translation: "dadudemon, you're racist because you think it is racist to view black people as weak and helpless and that black people need the help of white people to be able to do anything."*

Excellent logic. Where do I sign up for the "bardock42 newsletter of logic"? Also, how frequent is this serialization? Once a week? Once a month?

*I can simplify this. It is racist to view any ethnicity as being helpless unless another ethnicity steps in: in whole or in part from either side.

Originally posted by Newjak
Which has always been represented in the minds of people who disagree as black people being told they are lazy.

Regardless of what side you fall on the debate that has always been true for people that disagree. So it is a far cry from what the title of this thread presents as people's problems with her quote. It's not that she is quoting a black author that people are calling her racists for. It is the viewpoint of the author she is pushing.

So yes I believe people are not out of line to call her a potential racists for her quotes nor should be this much of an outrage that people are upset with her viewpoints.

Honestly, after rereading that post, you did state, "possible racist comments." That I can definitely agree with.

No matter how you slice it, your statement is logically correct: my apologies for contradicting you. They are possibly racist comments. She contends it wasn't racist and not intended as racist.

Robtard

*I can simplify this. It is racist to view any ethnicity as being helpless unless another ethnicity steps in: in whole or in part from either side.

That's ridiculously blanketed. US Black slaves had no feasible way of freeing themselves, since they couldn't change legislature and physical force would have just ended with their deaths, so are we to call the slavery abolitionist of old "racist" because they saw this and forced a change? No, we are not

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Robtard
That's ridiculously blanketed. US Black slaves had no feasible way of freeing themselves, since they couldn't change legislature and physical force would have just ended with their deaths, so are we to call the slavery abolitionist of old "racist" because they saw this and forced a change? No, we are not

You've Just Been McGill'd

dadudemon

I'm pretty sure I didn't say, "enslaved ethnicity."

edit - just double checked my post. I didn't say that.

What are you talking about, again?

Time-Immemorial
It ok good buddy, Rob likes to interject imaginary words into other peoples posts to make himself feel better.

Robtard
I'm pretty sure I didn't say, "enslaved ethnicity."

edit - just double checked my post. I didn't say that.

What are you talking about, again?

The slavery example was well, an example. An ethnicity doesn't have to be enslaved to not be in a position of power, especially when their combined voice is in the minority. That.

*Or to simplify it: Black people's status as second class citizens in Jim Crow era USofA didn't end simply because black people wanted it, they were(are) the minority and needed part of the greater majority to make change happen.

Do we now assume that those people that saw this and helped were racist? No, we do not.

dadudemon
The slavery example was well, an example. An ethnicity doesn't have to be enslaved to not be in a position of power, especially when their combined voice is in the minority. That.

*Or to simplify it: Black people's status as second class citizens in Jim Crow era USofA didn't end simply because black people wanted it, they were(are) the minority and needed part of the greater majority to make change happen.

Do we now assume that those people that saw this and helped were racist? No, we do not.

Hey...you decided to inject an idea into my words that wasn't there. Not my fault. That's your fault. If you want to talk about an enslaved ethnicity, start a thread and talk about it there.

But that's not what we are talking about in here.

Pretty sure a majority did not want that to go away at the time it went away.

What is exactly is your point, again? Because you have yet to actually discuss my actual point, much less contradict it with one of your made up points of debate. smile

It ok good buddy, Rob likes to interject imaginary words into other peoples posts to make himself feel better.

That's what people do in political debates: move the goalposts, inject red herrings, or use strawman arguments.

I'm just a little surprised Rob would do something like that.

Robtard
I used an example to show that some people simply can't help themselves and affect change alone, especially when they're in a position of no or even little power, that's not doing what you're claiming

Pretty sure I said "needed part of the greater majority" and not 'needed the majority'. Yep, I did.

You're being rather defensive and trollish again and I didn't even point out your racism, I simply addressed the silliness of your blanket statement. Oh well.

Time-Immemorial
I think DDM is more Latin then you though Rob.

Robtard
http://images.killermovies.com/forums/custom_avatars/avatar73571_52.gifhttp://images.killermovies.com/forums/custom_avatars/avatar73571_52.gif...http://images.killermovies.com/forums/custom_avatars/avatar73571_52.gif

Surtur
Originally posted by Omega Vision

Just clear one thing up: you feel saying this is like a self hating jew being quoted by an anti-semite? You genuinely feel such a comparison is apt? That the black guy is a self hating black man, you think that, right? You think he is that Dave Chappelle skit come to life, except this time he knows full well he is black?

Or were you just bringing up some kind of example of a self hater, even though this instance really doesn't seem to be like a black guy who hates blacks and got quoted by an evil white racist. Or again, do you legitimately feel this guy is a self hater?

Newjak
Just clear one thing up: you feel saying this is like a self hating jew being quoted by an anti-semite? You genuinely feel such a comparison is apt? That the black guy is a self hating black man, you think that, right? You think he is that Dave Chappelle skit come to life, except this time he knows full well he is black?

Or were you just bringing up some kind of example of a self hater, even though this instance really doesn't seem to be like a black guy who hates blacks and got quoted by an evil white racist. Or again, do you legitimately feel this guy is a self hater? His post is the latter.

What he believes about the author is different and I can not speak on.

Still I think the general saying that black people need to stop being lazy and do something is way too simplistic a view on this topic. I also see it used more as a catalyst to dismiss any real discussion on this complex topic.

For instance if someone say that there is more to the issues than black people shaping up and handling there business and people automatically come at you with "Obviously you're racist because you believe black people need help and are inept without the white man." And this leads to very circular arguments that get us no where.

I've already started to see this surface in this thread.

But for moment let's be serious.

There needs to be an effort by everyone involved in this topic because it is incredibly complex and we need to have serious talks about what is going on here.

For instance we see that black neighborhoods tend to be poorer. In the justice system we see that a black suspect is more likely to be shot by the cops than any other race. They are more likely to receive stricter punishments or jail time than their white counterparts for similar crimes. A study was done showing that having a black sounding name on your resume can hut your chances of even getting an interview.

This stuff at least points to the possibility of racial issues in our culture.

And it's something we have to look at in a manner that is actually helpful. For instance based on history we know there can be huge issues stemming from minorities being abused by majority groups that can span decades of recovery. We know that idea of being treated as a second class citizens can have enormous impacts on the average self image for a minority group. We've seen in it Native Americans and other slave groups throughout history.

We've seen how majority groups can vastly effect minorities even indirectly at times. So when stuff like these types of arguments do come off as racists to me because it tries to pass of any potential blame for yourself by painting another group in a bad light in a simplistic view.

Surtur
It doesn't seem like anyone was passing any blame, rather just saying there is blood on everyone's hands and white racism isn't the only problem.

I don't see what she did and go "she must hate blacks". Nobody calls anybody lazy, or puts 100% of the blame on anyone. Nor did it say racism isn't a problem.

dadudemon
I used an example to show that some people simply can't help themselves and affect change alone, especially when they're in a position of no or even little power, that's not doing what you're claiming
But that's not what we are talking about in here.

Pretty sure I said "needed part of the greater majority" and not 'needed the majority'. Yep, I did.

K. So you missed the point. Your idea just does't work. It will take a small minority that just has the power to affect change like you're discussing. If you knew this, you'd not say "greater majority", instead, you'd say "very small but powerful minority."

You're being rather defensive and trollish again and I didn't even point out your racism, I simply addressed the silliness of your blanket statement. Oh well.

It wasn't even close to silly. You're taking a shit on all the efforts black heroes have made to liberate and help the black community rise to where they are today (and, don't kid yourself, it wasn't white people that helped them reach that state, it was white people reacting to the efforts, please, begging, and hard work of those black people: black people helped black people become free and become liberated, for the most part. It wasn't a "white only" effort). Sure, more work needs to be done but don't pretend that black people need white people to change their current position for the better. They really don't. And it is racist to think they do.

Raisen
Everything is racist. We should all just wear robes covering our entire body so we can distinguish one from another.
I heard some guys tried that with white robes back in the day but it didn't turn out so well

dadudemon
Originally posted by Raisen
Everything is racist. We should all just wear robes covering our entire body so we can distinguish one from another.
I heard some guys tried that with white robes back in the day but it didn't turn out so well

lol

We should only interact with faceless, genderless, avatars. And all speech is handled by the computer and everyone gets a gender-neutral sounding voice from the program.

And we all look like a cube and all cubes are the same size.

I wonder how the world would be able to handle that? 99% of all the things people b*tch about would disappear. We'd be left with silly things to argue about such as grammar.

Raisen
lol

We should only interact with faceless, genderless, avatars. And all speech is handled by the computer and everyone gets a gender-neutral sounding voice from the program.

And we all look like a cube and all cubes are the same size.

I wonder how the world would be able to handle that? 99% of all the things people b*tch about would disappear. We'd be left with silly things to argue about such as grammar.
Exactly. As long as there are differences there will be hate. The only thing we can even attempt to control is institutional hate. Headlining individual stupidity only stirs the pot on a national scale. It does absolutely no good

AsbestosFlaygon

confused

Bardock is the complete opposite. He's like the biggest SJW Feminazi in this board.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
confused

Bardock is the complete opposite. He's like the biggest SJW Feminazi in this board.

Ok, definitely into brain-dead territory once posts like this start to appear. Closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.