Chicago Police Officer Suing the Family of the Kid He Shot and Killed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35519757

I can't...words don't even...WTF?

Bardock42
""The fact that LeGrier's actions had forced Officer Rialmo to end LeGrier's life and to accidentally take the innocent life of Bettie Jones has caused, and will continue to cause, Officer Rialmo to suffer extreme emotional trauma,""

Good, don't shoot innocent people, you *******.

Robtard
If this emo-cop wins, it's going to open the doorway for more of these cases.

Henry_Pym
Nice to see a fair balenced discussion here. The nutjob kid had a bat. If these parents had either a.) institutionalized their dangerous child or B.) taken care of him assaulting them this wouldn't have happened.

Brought entirely on by failures of parenting.

Robtard
You open with criticism of people not being "fair and balanced" and then follow it up with "nutjob" remarks.

As far as the lawsuit, even if the kid did indeed try and kill the officer and the shooting was valid, suing because you had to do an aspect of your job is ridiculous. Might as well have a fireman sue the homeowner over the stress a house-fire caused the fireman.

Henry_Pym
Lol, cry harder. The Nutjob isn't a "kid" either, he was in college... But dont let the facts get in the way

His job isn't psycologist. The parents of this "special snowflake" created a no-win scenario, and now someone has to deal with the ptsd. Please tell me about your first hand experience with dealing with dangerous people as an authority figure.

Robtard
You're the only one who seems to be emotional about this. "Kid" is a figure of speech as he was a teen. Calm down.

Having to possibly use your gun and make life and death choices is part of being a police officer, it's literally what you sign up for when you join the academy. I suppose with that comment we can assume you're a cop or in some position of authority that deals with "dangerous people"?

Henry_Pym
Kid is not a figure of speech its a euphamism, but its not accurate to a college age student.

You honestly think people sign up to join the police with the hope of shooting someone? :/ wow... Wow

Robtard
That's right, never in the history of history has a teenage adult been referred to as "kid". You got me.

That's not what I said, you're strawmanning because you know you don't have an argument.

Henry_Pym
Google image "kid" let me know when you find an adult.

You said "having to use your gun" is "literally what they signed up for." Lol, your words. Not a strawman.

Robtard
Google + Kid = http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/US/GTY_kid_rock_tk_130809_33x16_1600.jpg Anyhow.

What I said in full was: "Having to possibly use your gun and make life and death choices is part of being a police officer, it's literally what you sign up for when you join the academy."

What you did is chop up my sentence to alter the meaning. This was a strawman, because you didn't have a counter argument to what I actually said and you're trying to distract.

Newjak
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
Kid is not a figure of speech its a euphamism, but its not accurate to a college age student.

You honestly think people sign up to join the police with the hope of shooting someone? :/ wow... Wow Some people probably would sign up fi they thought they could shoot someone or get to abuse control over someone else.

Still I think an officer suing someone over a part of their job is a pretty bad precedent to set.

Him suing the parents of someone he killed is just silly to me.

As for a wrongful death suit against the cop. That is there to help push investigations to make sure the actions the cop took were justified.

Nephthys
It's not just silly, it's utterly repulsive. Who would even think of doing that for ****s sake?

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by Robtard
Google + Kid = http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/US/GTY_kid_rock_tk_130809_33x16_1600.jpg Anyhow.

What I said in full was: "Having to possibly use your gun and make life and death choices is part of being a police officer, it's literally what you sign up for when you join the academy."

What you did is chop up my sentence to alter the meaning. This was a strawman, because you didn't have a counter argument to what I actually said and you're trying to distract. you have no idea why people do things, you are just assuming that because the worst thing that could happen to you falls under his duties it doesn't matter the impact on him. I'm not even sure what a one person distraction would do in a 1v1 debate... But lol. Originally posted by Newjak
Some people probably would sign up fi they thought they could shoot someone or get to abuse control over someone else.

Still I think an officer suing someone over a part of their job is a pretty bad precedent to set.

Him suing the parents of someone he killed is just silly to me.

As for a wrongful death suit against the cop. That is there to help push investigations to make sure the actions the cop took were justified. Why? If you are in the wrong why should the state pay for it?

Robtard
you have no idea why people do things, you are just assuming that because the worst thing that could happen to you falls under his duties it doesn't matter the impact on him. I'm not even sure what a one person distraction would do in a 1v1 debate... But lol.

There are outlets for police officers who suffer from job-related stress, there's job-paid counseling and such. That wasn't the topic though, the lawsuit and it's ridiculousness was; this man is suing because he had to do an aspect of his job.

I'm also uncertain how suing the family is going to help him with the apparent mental breakdown he's having?

Newjak
Why? If you are in the wrong why should the state pay for it? Why what? Why do I not want Officers being able to sue for stuff like this? Because it has the potential for abuse. Legit abuse because officers can have tremendous feedback on the process which can effect the outcome of such cases.

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by Newjak
Why what? Why do I not want Officers being able to sue for stuff like this? Because it has the potential for abuse. Legit abuse because officers can have tremendous feedback on the process which can effect the outcome of such cases. i'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting like mishandling of evidence? If so thats a bit paranoid. Originally posted by Robtard
There are outlets for police officers who suffer from job-related stress, there's job-paid counseling and such. That wasn't the topic though, the lawsuit and it's ridiculousness was; this man is suing because he had to do an aspect of his job.

I'm also uncertain how suing the family is going to help him with the apparent mental breakdown he's having? yes, and if firefighters have to fight a fire in a building with Asbestos they should be able to sue the building owner. The officer is suing the estate, not the family. The "Kid" has money coming to his estate but the combination of mental illness and drugs caused an undue hardship on the officer.

Robtard
yes, and if firefighters have to fight a fire in a building with Asbestos they should be able to sue the building owner. The officer is suing the estate, not the family. The "Kid" has money coming to his estate but the combination of mental illness and drugs caused an undue hardship on the officer.

Only if said asbestos was put in place illegally after the use of asbestos was banned. Being mentally ill (if that's the case for the kid) isn't illegal. Suing the estate is akin to suing the family.

Possibly dealing with mentally unstable people is part of the job, just like dealing with violent people, intoxicated people etc. It's not like there's a check-off list of people you don't want to deal with after graduating from the academy.

Henry_Pym
It is negligent when they had described him before the incident as violent and acting erratic. The family should have contacted mental health people long before it escalated to him threatening dispachers over the phone and swinging a weapon at police in the street.

NemeBro
Nice to see a fair balenced discussion here. The nutjob kid had a bat. If these parents had either a.) institutionalized their dangerous child or B.) taken care of him assaulting them this wouldn't have happened.

Brought entirely on by failures of parenting. Is there any evidence beyond Rialmo's word that he assaulted him with a bat?

Robtard
It is negligent when they had described him before the incident as violent and acting erratic. The family should have contacted mental health people long before it escalated to him threatening dispachers over the phone and swinging a weapon at police in the street.

You seem to be arguing that calling the police on a violent and unstable person isn't the proper course of action. When it is.

Circling back: dealing with mentally unstable people is an aspect of being a cop; it's a risk that you sign up for when you join. Suing over it after the fact is being little more than a whiny gold-digger. "I had to do a shitty aspect of my job, I deserve a bunch of free money!". edit: Millions no less. Laughable.

This again is going on the grounds that this kid actually did what the officer claims, when it seems to possibly be in question.

Adam Grimes
Even if the kid had a bat, does that justify the police-girly-man killing him?

Robtard
TBF, he only pumped six rounds into him

One Big Mob
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Even if the kid had a bat, does that justify the police-girly-man killing him? Yeah. If it's how he said anyway in close range.

The suing is despicable though. It brings into question how legitimate his story is considering he's after money for his emotional state of murdering someone. And he killed an innocent bystander too...

Omega Vision
Originally posted by One Big Mob
Yeah. If it's how he said anyway in close range.

The suing is despicable though. It brings into question how legitimate his story is considering he's after money for his emotional state of murdering someone. And he killed an innocent bystander too...
I'm surprised he's not also suing the other family too. I mean, if it's about his emotional damages for murdering them...

Time-Immemorial
This story is full of lulz.

It reminds me when the criminal sues the property owner for tripping in the house and breaking his leg.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial

It reminds me when the criminal sues the property owner for tripping in the house and breaking his leg.
Once at the pharmacy where my dad worked, a bum tried to break into the pharmacy through the roof at night. He ended up falling through the roof and injuring his leg. Luckily he landed right next to where they sold canes. He took a cane and limped out with it. Because apparently there were lots of legal gray areas with liability, the pharmacy decided not to press charges, let him keep the cane, and call it square.

Time-Immemorial
laughing out loud

Lord Lucien
You honestly think people sign up to join the police with the hope of shooting someone? :/ wow... Wow I know two. Even more who went military. It was their explicit desire.

Time-Immemorial
I think the moral of the story here is people are just stupid, regardless of their occupation, color, or race.

Newjak
i'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting like mishandling of evidence? If so thats a bit paranoid. yes, and if firefighters have to fight a fire in a building with Asbestos they should be able to sue the building owner. The officer is suing the estate, not the family. The "Kid" has money coming to his estate but the combination of mental illness and drugs caused an undue hardship on the officer. It might be paranoid but the fact that there is a possible conflict of interest for a cop suing someone when they have the power to effect the outcome.

It's like a ref betting on a game they are officiating.

Mindset

Brought entirely on by failures of parenting. Originally posted by Henry_Pym
Lol, cry harder. The Nutjob isn't a "kid" either, he was in college... But dont let the facts get in the way

His job isn't psycologist. The parents of this "special snowflake" created a no-win scenario, and now someone has to deal with the ptsd. Please tell me about your first hand experience with dealing with dangerous people as an authority figure. Please calm down, you nutjob.

Surtur
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial

I'll give you something worse that actually happened. This family went away on vacation for 7 days. After being gone two days someone tried breaking into the house via the garage. It was one of those houses where the house and garage are connected. Well somehow the thief ended up accidentally locking himself inside the garage. The large garage door was broke and had not been fixed yet and he couldn't get out, he was stuck inside the garage for 5 days until they got home. He survived by eating dog food that was in the garage.

He ended up suing and winning. I guess the case hung on the fact they should of properly fixed their garage, since they had decided to wait until they got back from vacation to do it.

I've also heard cases of people who got in trouble for shooting someone who had broken into their house. But in those cases it was usually where extreme force had been used, like firing 8-12 shots at someone. Also read about a case where a criminal who had been in a car chase with the police and had crashed as a result tried to sue the cops for deciding to chase him.

cdtm
Stay classy, legal system.

Someone's finding for these cases. The question is, why? Tort reform isn't gonna help if everyone involved is basically in on it, and demanding their "cut"..

AsbestosFlaygon
This one of the dumbest lawsuits I've ever read about.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.