Forbes Most Powerful People

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
Intersting..

http://www.forbes.com/powerful-people/

ArtificialGlory
Why the hell is Obama 3rd?

Time-Immemorial
Where should he be, 10th?

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Where should he be, 10th?

1st. How is someone like Merkel more powerful than him?

Time-Immemorial
What has he done to show he is the most powerful person in the world?

ArtificialGlory
What has he done to show he is the most powerful person in the world?

What has Merkel done to be put above Obama? Besides, I don't think it necessarily takes a show of power to be on the list. Obama is the leader of the most powerful nation on the planet and that should be enough.

Time-Immemorial
The country is the most powerful because of the American people and our culture.

Obama is not really the best representative of America, he represents a small portion of all that America is.

The American People and our history are the real power.

ArtificialGlory
The country is the most powerful because of the American people and our culture.

Obama is not really the best representative of America, he represents a small portion of all that America is.

That's really not the point. Obama wields supreme executive power and is the C-i-C. And hell, he was elected for two successive terms so obviously he has/had the support of the people.

Time-Immemorial
Most of his executive orders have been unconstitutional and blocked by the Supreme Court.

Flyattractor
Nice to see that Obama gets more Respect over seas then he does at Home.

Q99

The same could be said about any President. He won by popular vote, by a wider margin than, say, GWB, and is more representative of the American People than GWB was. Still hard to deny that Bush wielded a lot of power.

Hm, if he's low, I'd say a fair amount of it is because he's on the way out and presidents a year from retirement are not known for making waves, so it's perceived he won't use his power. Really though, the US president should always be number 1. It's also kinda odd to see Putin at number 1, considering the problems his country has been having internationally which has reduced his say in things.

Merkel... well, there is the matter she's the strongest voice in the EU, which collectively wields power similar to the US...

Bentley
The difference between Merkel and Obama is that internal politics are less intrusive with Merkel's work, while the Republicans seem to b*tch about Obama's moves for no reason other than to be antagonistic. As time passes more people have gathered against Merkel, but she has managed to make it work.

Putin isn't actually more powerful pound by pound, but he acts with more freedom than his peers simply because he is not accountable to the population he represents.

Van Hohenheim
You don't necessarily have to the strongest military in the world to be the most.powerful person on Earth. I'd say that the most powerful person on the world isn't even on the list, if you're a public figure then you're already at a disadvantage, thus weaker.

Plus, you have to factor in intelligence, resources, money, contacts, etc. Someone like Obama can't convince Putin to work with him but someone somewhere out there can by unknown means. They could potentially make anyone do anything they want, as long as they have time, money, and knowledge.

So this list is bogus.

S_W_LeGenD
Merkel above Obama? What a joke.

President of the United States is logically the most powerful individual in the world because the fate of the entire world rests upon his shoulders and levelheadedness 24/7.

Though, our interpretation of power might be different from that of the Forbes.

Raisen
Originally posted by Bentley
The difference between Merkel and Obama is that internal politics are less intrusive with Merkel's work, while the Republicans seem to b*tch about Obama's moves for no reason other than to be antagonistic. As time passes more people have gathered against Merkel, but she has managed to make it work.

Putin isn't actually more powerful pound by pound, but he acts with more freedom than his peers simply because he is not accountable to the population he represents.
Definitely agree.

Bardock42
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Merkel above Obama? What a joke.

President of the United States is logically the most powerful individual in the world because the fate of the entire world rests upon his shoulders and levelheadedness 24/7.

Though, our interpretation of power might be different from that of the Forbes.

Well, you could say that about multiple world leaders though.

I do think what Bentley said is a good point to consider. For Obama wielding his power is enormously hard because of the political split in the country. Merkel faces less opposition due to the great (as in large) coalition, however she does face a lot of resistance within the EU for her course. Putin ostensibly faces no opposition at all in his country.

Thats said I don't think that list and such a specific order makes that much sense.

AsbestosFlaygon
Makes no sense to put the President of the US at #3. He holds significant power beyond anyone in that list.

Surtur
Is the president truly the most powerful man in our country? I had thought true powered lied with congress, etc. Or whoever has the power to block stuff he wants to get through.

Omega Vision
I really have no idea what the Forbes Most Powerful People list actually measures. Most of the time it seems like a popularity/trendiness contest more than anything else. The notion that Pope Francis is more powerful than Xi Jingping is laughable, but Pope Francis is more visible internationally. Similarly, while Obama is constrained in what he can do both internationally and domestically, Putin is free to do and say any stupid thing he wants, and constantly makes headlines for committing reckless or shocking actions on the world stage.

If this were a real list, Putin would be #3 behind Obama and Xi Jingping, Merkel would be #4, and Pope Francis and Bill Gates wouldn't even be in the top 10.

All the G7 Leaders are more powerful than any corporate CEO, and yet you have business and tech people in the top 25 while Shinzo Abe is at #41.

Basically, the list is dumb. It measures political power in the same way that the AP Top 25 measures the actual quality of a college football team. (It doesn't)

Surtur
Honestly it worries me when any religious leader is on a list of "most powerful people".

Time-Immemorial
I think they rated Obama 3rd because Putin and Iran and China have basically slapped him around.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.