UK Pilots' Union Suggests Banning Lasers after Plane Incident

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35580261

So, in England, the pilots' union is recommending that laser pens be considered a dangerous weapon and banned in the UK after a plane was recently forced to land shortly after takeoff when someone shined a laser into the cockpit, blinding the pilot.

Now, your first thought might be "that seems a bit extreme," but then consider this--what is the actual use of a laser pen beyond being an asshat? And what the hell do these people think they're doing trying to blind the pilot of a plane carrying dozens of people? Like, how the hell do they see that shaking out in a way that's not tragic if it actually works?

For the record, I'd support a ban. 9/10 people use laser pens to be an *******, like trying to blind opposing players at soccer matches (ugh, Mexican El Tri fans) or apparently trying to cause plane crashes, and it's not like they're really that important anyway.

Surtur
EDIT: Okay I misread, at first I thought you meant banning them from bringing them onto a plane. But it seems you mean banning them outright.

Though I suppose there might be certain jobs out there where having a laser pointer is extremely handy. I..can't think of any right now though.

My friend once threw a soda at a dude in a movie theater who was using a laser pointer to shine onto the screen.

Bentley

Surtur
They are useful for f*cking with a cat too.

Bentley
Originally posted by Surtur
They are useful for f*cking with a cat too.

Good that we agree they are just for evil thumb up

Surtur
Not necessarily. It makes the cat run around. My cat is a fat ho and thus I probably need one for her. My last one broke.

Bentley
Not necessarily. It makes the cat run around. My cat is a fat ho and thus I probably need one for her. My last one broke.

Maybe you should take your time to teach your cat how to be healthy. The laser is an enabler for you and your cat being lazy, hence evil ahah

Bardock42
That seems a bit extreme

Surtur
But a laser pointer is one of the ways you can make a cat healthy via giving them exercise. If you don't believe me look it up, I'm not only talking about taking a random laser pointer and doing this. You can buy stuff specifically made for cats that has a laser pointer on it that moves around on its own for the cat to chase.

Raisen
So this banning is a liberal war on cats health disguised as a public safety measure.
This is sick. Liberals push abortion under the guise of women's health but ban lasers to keep cats fat and unhealthy.
We all need to revolt

Bentley
Originally posted by Raisen
So this banning is a liberal war on cats health disguised as a public safety measure.
This is sick. Liberals push abortion under the guise of women's health but ban lasers to keep cats fat and unhealthy.
We all need to revolt

Of course you'd say that, Conservatives are on the payroll of the Laser Lobby!

Raisen
Originally posted by Bentley
Of course you'd say that, Conservatives are on the payroll of the Laser Lobby!

I'm actually on the feline nutrition board and the federal tree hugging committee

Bentley
Originally posted by Raisen
I'm actually on the feline nutrition board and the federal tree hugging committee

Makes sense, without laser pointers to slim down Cats it'd be hard to hide how feline food tests are controlled by the pet-keeping industry.

Raisen
Originally posted by Bentley
Makes sense, without laser pointers to slim down Cats it'd be hard to hide how feline food tests are controlled by the pet-keeping industry.
President Obama actually created this department using one trillion dollars in tax money. I used to work for gay turtle society but got reassigned for masturbatinv on the job. Luckily I'm union and I can't really get fired

Surtur
Plus look at this:

http://encdr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/fatcat1.jpg

You are destroying the lives of everyone around you.

Omega Vision
At the very least, they should stop manufacturing laser pens with long ranges. When do you actually need a laser pen to point further than 100 ft for any legitimate reason?

Laser range finders and such are different, laser pens are toys without real practical (important) uses.

Time-Immemorial
Plus look at this:

http://encdr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/fatcat1.jpg

You are destroying the lives of everyone around you.

Bardocks cat?

Raisen
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Bardocks cat?

Yes and he is in his safe zone

Bardock42
The obsession you two have with me is very peculiar.

Raisen
Originally posted by Bardock42
The obsession you two have with me is very peculiar.

Go to your safe space

Ushgarak
Keep it on topic.

Surtur
Alright but yeah, if these laser pointers can be used to force planes to land..well, that is a potential problem. I would wonder if there wouldn't be other ways to combat this besides banning laser pointers outright?

Omega Vision
Alright but yeah, if these laser pointers can be used to force planes to land..well, that is a potential problem. I would wonder if there wouldn't be other ways to combat this besides banning laser pointers outright?
Well, they've criminalized using lasers to interfere with aircraft, but it's very difficult to catch people doing it and to prove they've done it, so the deterrent of the law is probably not enough, so the simplest way to prevent these things from happening is to outlaw the lasers. Again, laser pens are for the most part novelty items with few legitimate applications. Their benefits to society are outweighed by their drawbacks, and their importance is minimal, ergo a ban wouldn't be too onerous.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.