Safe Spaces

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Emperordmb
What is your opinion on safe spaces?

Are they a good thing? Should they exist at schools? Should college campuses be transformed into safe spaces where certain words are banned?

Raisen
Originally posted by Emperordmb

Are they a good thing? Should they exist at schools? Should college campuses be transformed into safe spaces where certain words are banned?

They are silly

Stigma

No, because I could not carry my guns there and that makes me nervous. 2guns

Surtur
I don't think they should be turned into places where certain words are banned. After all, we are talking about adults here, college. We are not talking about middle school children.

So why would we treat adults like children? Why would an adult want to be treated like a child by another adult?

This is something that should be done for 14 yr. olds, not people on college campuses. If you are so super sensitive as an adult you can't handle hearing certain words..as if there is some arcane magic behind them, I don't know what to tell you.

Stigma
There are more curse words used in an average PG-13 movie than in the middle or high school.

Adam_PoE
As I am known to say, life does not come with trigger warnings, so you will just have to get stronger.

Emperordmb
Wow, I am honestly surprised that everyone who has posted on this topic agrees with me. My surprise mainly stems from the fact that when I expressed my distaste for safe spaces with my friends, they acted like I was some evil tool.

But yes, my problem with safe spaces is that they promote escapism as the solution to problems, which is not the right solution. This escapist response also promotes hypersensitivity, which is already too annoying a problem in the modern age, as is a refusal to listen to opposing ideas, which is also a problem in the modern age that would be promoted by promoting escapism. And if escapism becomes a first response, people will be unwilling to listen to any legitimate criticism and find no need to grow as a person.

And promoting this on college campuses as a whole restricts the free flow of ideas and information that is supposed to be exchanged in an educational environment and treats adults as children.

Safe spaces are anti-evolutionary essentially.

Bardock42
I think it is perfectly fine for people to create spaces for themselves where they will not tolerate certain things, i.e. racism, sexism, etc.

Raisen
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think it is perfectly fine for people to create spaces for themselves where they will not tolerate certain things, i.e. racism, sexism, etc.

My phucking god rob.

Surtur
My problem with safe spaces is..this shit is getting old. It's getting old and sad and tiresome. People are far too sensitive these days. We have to coddle them like children.

It's getting ridiculous. Are we dealing with kids in kindergarden or grown ass adults? You might as well just wear ear plugs wherever you go..you never know when you might hear a word that you can't handle.

|King Joker|
I think safe spaces might be beneficial is some scenarios... But on the whole, eh... I don't know.

Raisen
Beneficial for what? To further a person's victim mentality. Sure racism exists. Sure sexism exists. It always will. However a lot of it is bs and every one knows it. People need to stand up for themselves.

Surtur
Well yeah they are beneficial. I have a safe space. It's called "my house".

Lucius
Safe spaces are places where self-entitled SJWs, can cry themselves to sleep after whining about someone engaging in cultural appropriation because they wore a samurai outfit for Halloween.

No, these spineless twits don't need safe spaces.

Raisen
Originally posted by Lucius
Safe spaces are places where self-entitled SJWs, can cry themselves to sleep after whining about someone engaging in cultural appropriation because they wore a samurai outfit for Halloween.

is sjw social justice warrior? i had to look it up

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Raisen
Beneficial for what? To further a person's victim mentality. Sure racism exists. Sure sexism exists. It always will. However a lot of it is bs and every one knows it. People need to stand up for themselves.
thumb up
And by promoting escapism, which promotes hypersensitivity and a refusal to listen to opposing ideas, the oppressed people would have an even harder time at reaching for equality when there's no dialogue or communication or collaboration surrounding the issue.

snowdragon

If you want a safe place make it your place of residencesmile

ArtificialGlory
I can see some theoretical merit to these so-called 'safe spaces', but in practice they seem to become no free speech spaces, exclusionary spaces, and in general echo chambers where schmucks desperately attempt to shield themselves from reality.

QFT. This seems to be often the case and reality of 'safe spaces'.

Omega Vision
You shouldn't need to create safe spaces. People should just learn not to be assholes and set aside the little time it takes to understand what makes other people uncomfortable and do their best to avoid those things.

Same thing with political correctness. 95% of the time, being PC just boils down to being polite and considering other people's sensibilities before shooting your mouth off. People who take a stand against "PC culture" are often just too lazy to make any effort to not offend people.

Surtur
I think people also need to learn to not be so sensitive, that kind of goes hand in hand with not being an a-hole. Since overly sensitive people fall under the "a-hole" category as well.

For instance I was indeed raised to be polite to people in public. To the point it became a reflex, like putting on a seat belt. But it doesn't mean I can't handle it when others aren't, it doesn't bother me.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Surtur
I think people also need to learn to not be so sensitive, that kind of goes hand in hand with not being an a-hole. Since overly sensitive people fall under the "a-hole" category as well.

For instance I was indeed raised to be polite to people in public. To the point it became a reflex, like putting on a seat belt. But it doesn't mean I can't handle it when others aren't, it doesn't bother me.
Quoted for truth.

BackFire
A person's safe space is their bedroom, or their home or some private area that they are in control of. Public spaces generally can't be controlled in such a way.

If some racist ******* starts spewing nonsense in public, best learn to ignore them. Ignoring idiots is a valuable skill.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by BackFire
A person's safe space is their bedroom, or their home or some private area that they are in control of. Public spaces generally can't be controlled in such a way.

If some racist ******* starts spewing nonsense in public, best learn to ignore them. Ignoring idiots is a valuable skill.

That's only true as long as you don't forget the SAFE WORD!!!!!!!

Silly goose.

Omega Vision

I'd agree, but I think not being an ******* takes priority over not being sensitive.

Mindset
I'll give you all a safe place in my dungeon.

cdtm
The irony of Yale and Harvard assholes complaining about issues of privilege.

The truth is, the kids at those universities could complain about needing to wipe their own arses, and the administration will bend over backwards to validate them, because endowments.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by BackFire

Well said. You can make your living room as 'safe' as you like, but stay the hell away from public spaces/campuses/universities/etc.

Esau Cairn
What's the point?

Can't live in a Safe Place for the rest of your life.

Q99
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
What's the point?

Can't live in a Safe Place for the rest of your life.

The point is that a specific safe space allows you to do things in a more relaxed, comforting environment. Lower your defenses, not have to worry about things as much.

And especially in school, having to deal with crap at school- like people yelling racist remarks- makes it harder to learn. So, since schools are for learning, you can see the angle they're coming from.

People normally do their best without distractions, and that can help arm and prepare them for when they go into the wilder world.

cdtm
Sure, but demanding a safe space in a public space is absurd.

That recent incident where reporters were physically threatened was done in the name of "safe spaces", in an area that was legally designated as open to the public.

Raisen
Originally posted by Q99
The point is that a specific safe space allows you to do things in a more relaxed, comforting environment. Lower your defenses, not have to worry about things as much.

And especially in school, having to deal with crap at school- like people yelling racist remarks- makes it harder to learn. So, since schools are for learning, you can see the angle they're coming from.

People normally do their best without distractions, and that can help arm and prepare them for when they go into the wilder world.
My god

Raisen
thumb up
And by promoting escapism, which promotes hypersensitivity and a refusal to listen to opposing ideas, the oppressed people would have an even harder time at reaching for equality when there's no dialogue or communication or collaboration surrounding the issue.

exactly. another minion for someone stronger or more in power

Bentley

So they should tolerate it everywhere else? Gotcha thumb up

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Q99

I think as a species, we need to toughen the F up.

I don't know what kind of schools you're referring too but it's pretty much unacceptable to yell out racist or sexist remarks in the classroom or the playground already. Students do get in trouble for that & suspended & expelled too.

That's kinda normal practice 30 plus years ago when I went to school & now as well in my son's school.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Q99

I think just yelling out racist remarks, or any other kind of remarks, during class would be considered disruptive and not permissible. And like Esau Cairn has pointed out, this sort of behavior is unacceptable in general and has little to do with 'safe spaces' that we're discussing.

Q99
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
I think just yelling out racist remarks, or any other kind of remarks, during class would be considered disruptive and not permissible. And like Esau Cairn has pointed out, this sort of behavior is unacceptable in general and has little to do with 'safe spaces' that we're discussing.

True.

Still, I do think it's generally a good idea to, say, give heads-up warnings when going into sensitive subjects. Not a banning of 'em, just disclaimers and such can help people be more comfortable.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Q99
True.

Still, I do think it's generally a good idea to, say, give heads-up warnings when going into sensitive subjects. Not a banning of 'em, just disclaimers and such can help people be more comfortable.

Sure, but these heads-up warnings would have to be purely of suggestive nature and completely optional.

Raisen
Originally posted by Q99
True.

This is so incredibly weak

Bardock42
So, we all really have a problem with what amounts to a club or proprietor of private space not tolerating certain language or aggression?

I mean, seriously, you guys need to grow up, be less sensitive, and realise that in life, as an adult you don't get to spout your infantile opinions everywhere you want. You are whiny as ****.

Omega Vision
So, we all really have a problem with what amounts to a club or proprietor of private space not tolerating certain language or aggression?

I mean, seriously, you guys need to grow up, be less sensitive, and realise that in life, as an adult you don't get to spout your infantile opinions everywhere you want. You are whiny as ****.
Pretty much.

FinalAnswer

Because a hug box is ultimately not a healthy environment, and supporting this idea that encourages people to stick their fingers in their ears when they hear something they don't like is infantile.

walshy

I mean, seriously, you guys need to grow up, be less sensitive, and realise that in life, as an adult you don't get to spout your infantile opinions everywhere you want. You are whiny as ****. exuse me but this is my safe space and I find your use of language incredibly offensive

Surtur

Just wow, the irony of you calling out others for being too sensitive and acting like infants when the entire safe space thing is infantile is..well, that is something.

I mean your entire post sounded like one big "waaaaah" and you call others whiny.

But let me ask you something then about safe spaces in colleges. So what should they be? For example, the library sounds like an ideal space for a safe space, right? Wouldn't you agree? I mean a library is where all the book learning should be going down, right? So would you be for them making it so you can't have any obnoxious behavior in a library? Or how about anywhere on campus, no overly obnoxious behavior? Of course protests of any kind could be considered as such, so more of those on college campuses then, right?

cdtm

Actually, no.

Yale and Harvard are "non profits", so the private property exuse doesn't really fly.. They're not Starbucks or McDonalds, but a place taking public money on top of their huge endowments.

But even so, my real problem isn't with them. It's with the University of Missouri. The protestors there AND professors claimed the right of "safe spaces" to keep reporters and photo-journalists from doing their jobs, and blocked any other students from.approaching the area.

This is a publically funded community college, and there's laws on the books that designates their grounds as a public space, just like a town green. Staking d exclusive rights to that property in the name of safe spaces is simply ridiculous (And a professor blocking off the press is unacceptable behavior at a journalism school!)

Robtard

#gottem

Surtur
Originally posted by Robtard
#gottem

You realize he is insulting people by saying they are too sensitive..in a topic that is about students being overly sensitive. How this equates to "getting" anyone is beyond me, but hey you do you.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Q99

The wilder world is not distraction-free. Insulating students from that does exactly the opposite.

Originally posted by Q99

Again, life does not come with trigger warnings. No one is going to get a heads-up disclaimer in real life. Students need to get stronger, not be more comfortable.

Surtur
I mean isn't college supposed to prepare people for the real world and not coddle them like little infants who have the same disease that Mr. Glass from "Unbreakable" had?

snowdragon
Originally posted by cdtm
But even so, my real problem isn't with them. It's with the University of Missouri. The protestors there AND professors claimed the right of "safe spaces" to keep reporters and photo-journalists from doing their jobs, and blocked any other students from.approaching the area.

And they did it by using force/threats on those people that didn't believe in their cause <Safe Zone.> roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bentley

If opinions shouldn't be stated in public anyways they should be banned from internet or any public forum, I see no need of building any particular rules in that regard attached to a place. The existence of these "safe places" is a concession of intelligence towards brutality.

Because stupid goes both ways and people could make excuses to make arbitrary rules in their "private places" and then I could have a problem with that.

Raisen
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
The wilder world is not distraction-free. Insulating students from that does exactly the opposite.

Again, life does not come with trigger warnings. No one is going to get a heads-up disclaimer in real life. Students need to get stronger, not be more comfortable.
Finally we agree

cdtm

Unless you're an upper level administrator at a university.

I've worked jobs at Yale, and believe me, the men and women working corporate live in a different world. I've seen a few women chew out an intern for petty garbage like accepting a slice of pizza at an office party, because it goes outside the bounds of their perfectly ordered world..

ArtificialGlory

I have no problem with people turning their own private spaces into 'safe spaces', but please stay the hell away from public spaces and public institutions.

Surtur
Also I actually disagree with the notion that this is mostly about being polite. Sure its preferable if someone is cordial instead of rude, but on the other hand I think an adult who can't handle someone being impolite falls into the range of being genuinely mentally unstable. I think there is a world of difference between being impolite and actually being disruptive. Which actually being disruptive usually isn't tolerated either so you shouldn't need a special place for it. That to me is like having a "detention free" zone in high school.

Then I would also ask how people would intend to enforce these "safe spaces"? If someone behaves in a way deemed rude, what should be done? Should security be called to escort someone away for being rude?

cdtm
And there's the point of it.

Administrator's can only do so much. Demanding apologies, or worse for someone to step down, due to things they can't control is NOT a reasonable protest. It's a power play.

The Yalie screaming at the student life administrator because he refused to shut up and do as he's told is an example of this. Why SHOULD he apologize? How is it his fault, if there's some privileged racist douches on campus?

He definately does have a job to do, but acting like some kind of high paid slave to student whims shouldn't be one of them.

Khazra Reborn
I'm 29, so I'm not super far removed from my college days, but I seriously don't know where kids get this insane sensitivity and sense of entitlement from. When I was in college, just a few years ago, free speech was the most important thing, and what everyone fought for.

The fact that kids now want everyone's language, combed through and censored, to fit their idealized vision of society is crazy to me.

cdtm
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
I'm 29, so I'm not super far removed from my college days, but I seriously don't know where kids get this insane sensitivity and sense of entitlement from. When I was in college, just a few years ago, free speech was the most important thing, and what everyone fought for.

The fact that kids now want everyone's language, combed through and censored, to fit their idealized vision of society is crazy to me.

I can't help but wonder how much of this outrage is genuine, and how much of it is exploitative of the way media operates.

Which is in the "yellow" way. Sensationalism sells. Controversey brings in the viewers/readers.

There's actually quite a bit of protest against safe spaces, from within activist communities. But, no one's reporting on that.

ArtificialGlory

This is a relatively recent thing. If you went to college 10 years ago, chances are you didn't really encounter it.

FinalAnswer
I'm 29, so I'm not super far removed from my college days, but I seriously don't know where kids get this insane sensitivity and sense of entitlement from.

Their parents.

Surtur
I just think at the end of the day you aren't ready to handle the real world if you need a "safe space". Just take an online course if you're such a delicate flower.

cdtm
This is a relatively recent thing. If you went to college 10 years ago, chances are you didn't really encounter it.

Yeah.

Only thing I can figure, is they're getting it from lectures and special guests. Supposedly, the terms been around for 50 years, so maybe some of these childless activists or professors are going all out trying to make sure their agenda's survive..

Khazra Reborn
I can't help but wonder how much of this outrage is genuine, and how much of it is exploitative of the way media operates.

Which is in the "yellow" way. Sensationalism sells. Controversey brings in the viewers/readers.

There's actually quite a bit of protest against safe spaces, from within activist communities. But, no one's reporting on that.

Very good point. Most of us aren't experiencing this stuff first hand, the media could be heavily slanting what is actually happening, and or majorly exacerbating the existing cases.

NemeBro
I don't get it.

Surtur
Originally posted by NemeBro
I don't get it.

I'll give you the short version: whiny entitled college kids are whiny and entitled.

cdtm
I don't get it.

What, the yellow journalism comment?

Basically, the press focuses on the loonies, making people think EVERYONES loonie. There's probably tons of moderates, but that's not as sexy as some teen screaming in a guys face.

The same way any time you see a black guy in the news, its a violent crime. that guy who works the soup kitchen, or with troubled teens, you rarely hear about him. (Or for another analogy, gun shooting = news. Gun preventing crime where no one's shot = nothing to write about.)

NemeBro
I'll give you the short version: whiny entitled college kids are whiny and entitled. Can you give me a version that doesn't illustrate how biased you are?

NemeBro
What, the yellow journalism comment?

Basically, the press focuses on the loonies, making people think EVERYONES loonie. There's probably tons of moderates, but that's not as sexy as some teen screaming in a guys face.

The same way any time you see a black guy in the news, its a violent crime. that guy who works the soup kitchen, or with troubled teens, you rarely hear about him. (Or for another analogy, gun shooting = news. Gun preventing crime where no one's shot = nothing to write about.) If I was responding to you my son, I would have quoted you.

Surtur
Can you give me a version that doesn't illustrate how biased you are?

No problem: whiny college kids are whiny and entitled.

NemeBro
I'd say you disappointed me, but to be honest your response was pretty much exactly what I assumed it would be.

All right, calling out Bardock right now. Can you elaborate on how "safe spaces" accomplish this in a way college campuses do not already (or perhaps you'd prefer me to say "accomplish this in a way different from how colleges should already be doing so"?)?

Surtur
I'm glad lady, I hate to see people disappointed over the truth.

Lucius
I'm reminded of that incident where a graduate student, working towards her law degree, got upset because they were going over sexual assault law in class. She had been raped in the past, and talking about rape and using words like "violate" triggered her. She got mad at her professor, and the event made it's way to the NYT.

She shouldn't have been taking the class if she was too weak to handle talking about the topics involved.

The world isn't a bunch of eggshells. Trigger warnings are bullshit devices for self-entitled little college twits.

Surtur
I'm reminded of that incident where a graduate student, working towards her law degree, got upset because they were going over sexual assault law in class. She had been raped in the past, and talking about rape and using words like "violate" triggered her. She got mad at her professor, and the event made it's way to the NYT.

She shouldn't have been taking the class if she was too weak to handle talking about the topics involved.

The world isn't a bunch of eggshells. Trigger warnings are bullshit devices for self-entitled little college twits.

It almost sounds like this is a college kid acting whiny and entitled.

ArtificialGlory

Won't she end up encountering cases dealing with rape in her career in law? Didn't really think it through, did she?

Bentley
Won't she end up encountering cases dealing with rape in her career in law? Didn't really think it through, did she?

To me it seems legit.

She fights against violence by defending people who were aggressed in the past.

She also does freak out about it and vomits before each plead thumb up

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Bentley
To me it seems legit.

She fights against violence by defending people who were aggressed in the past.

She also does freak out about it and vomits before each plead thumb up

"Your Honour, may I have my trigger bucket?"

Bardock42
I'd say you disappointed me, but to be honest your response was pretty much exactly what I assumed it would be.

All right, calling out Bardock right now. Can you elaborate on how "safe spaces" accomplish this in a way college campuses do not already (or perhaps you'd prefer me to say "accomplish this in a way different from how colleges should already be doing so"?)?

Sure, so you are sitting in the cafeteria with your buds, Steve and Nancy. Nancy is a mtf transgender person. This girl you are acquainted with Michelle, she sits near you and keeps talking to your group and some people next to her, constantly referring to Nancy as "he". Now you could try to call her out and turn this into a huge scene, but that's uncomfortable for Nancy you prefer not to, or you can leave, but like you still have half a slice of pizza and two chicken nuggets on your plate and the rest of the cafeteria is full, it's just a huge hassle, really sucks. Now, if you were in a designated safe space you could just rightfully ask Nancy to leave, so that's much more pleasant.

Similarly you sit around your favourite tree in a hippie circle with your friends, the topic comes on the subject of rape, but there's these guy Hans, you know the kind he's the "Actually..." kind, so everytime someone says something he's like "Actually, most victims of rape lie about it...", "Actually, if a girl is in a relationship it should never count as rape...", etc., he likes playing moronic Devil's Advocate, you know what I mean. This is really uncomfortable for Stephanie, who has been raped, and for you, cause you know about it, you'd like to continue talking about it, but if you call it out the conversation will devolve into a "I'm just saying, blah blah"...so the next time you go into a designated safe space with your friends and hang out there not having to fear that kind of bone headed "I'm a truthsayer in a land of sheeple..." attitude.

That's why I'm for safe spaces. Now the problems that all of the people categorically against safe spaces have seem to be when whole campuses or public areas are designated as safe spaces are used to silence people there, and that's fair enough, we can talk about that, but surely you can see how it's stupid to go from opposition to the extreme to being against the whole concept.

Like, few people say they should have the right to go to the Spanish clubs lesson and start loudly talking French over everybody. I'm pro Spanish-Safe Spaces and the same goes for anti-racist, anti-sexist, etc. Safe Spaces.

Again, saying I'm categorically against safe spaces is saying I'm against designated areas (either like a club on a campus or a private area, maybe a bar or something) where the proprietors do not tolerate certain behaviour or language.

Bentley
It's an interesting post, but comparing racism and sexism to speaking awesome French pretty much ruined your argument for me thumb down

Now, I'm not saying that because I'm french, you're actually mixing up entirely different contexts. Is a secret defense bunker a "safe place" from civillians? Let's build absurd comparisons all around for an otherwise legitimate consideration, yay!

Just saying man ahah

ArtificialGlory
Sure, so you are sitting in the cafeteria with your buds, Steve and Nancy. Nancy is a mtf transgender person. This girl you are acquainted with Michelle, she sits near you and keeps talking to your group and some people next to her, constantly referring to Nancy as "he". Now you could try to call her out and turn this into a huge scene, but that's uncomfortable for Nancy you prefer not to, or you can leave, but like you still have half a slice of pizza and two chicken nuggets on your plate and the rest of the cafeteria is full, it's just a huge hassle, really sucks. Now, if you were in a designated safe space you could just rightfully ask Nancy to leave, so that's much more pleasant.

Similarly you sit around your favourite tree in a hippie circle with your friends, the topic comes on the subject of rape, but there's these guy Hans, you know the kind he's the "Actually..." kind, so everytime someone says something he's like "Actually, most victims of rape lie about it...", "Actually, if a girl is in a relationship it should never count as rape...", etc., he likes playing moronic Devil's Advocate, you know what I mean. This is really uncomfortable for Stephanie, who has been raped, and for you, cause you know about it, you'd like to continue talking about it, but if you call it out the conversation will devolve into a "I'm just saying, blah blah"...so the next time you go into a designated safe space with your friends and hang out there not having to fear that kind of bone headed "I'm a truthsayer in a land of sheeple..." attitude.

That's why I'm for safe spaces. Now the problems that all of the people categorically against safe spaces have seem to be when whole campuses or public areas are designated as safe spaces are used to silence people there, and that's fair enough, we can talk about that, but surely you can see how it's stupid to go from opposition to the extreme to being against the whole concept.

Like, few people say they should have the right to go to the Spanish clubs lesson and start loudly talking French over everybody. I'm pro Spanish-Safe Spaces and the same goes for anti-racist, anti-sexist, etc. Safe Spaces.

Again, saying I'm categorically against safe spaces is saying I'm against designated areas (either like a club on a campus or a private area, maybe a bar or something) where the proprietors do not tolerate certain behaviour or language.

That sounds perfectly reasonable. But what would these designated safe space areas be? Somebody's dorm room?

Bardock42
It's an interesting post, but comparing racism and sexism to speaking awesome French pretty much ruined your argument for me thumb down

Now, I'm not saying that because I'm french, you're actually mixing up entirely different contexts. Is a secret defense bunker a "safe place" from civillians? Let's build absurd comparisons all around for an otherwise legitimate consideration, yay!

Just saying man ahah

Yes, yes a secret defense bunker is a safe space for civilians. And no one says, life doesn't come with radiation warnings....

That sounds perfectly reasonable. But what would these designated safe space areas be? Somebody's dorm room?

Sure, or a room on campus that is assigned to a group, either temporarily or indefinitely. Really depends on the university.

Or alternatively a professor may make their class a safe space regarding some topic.

Nibedicus
Just to clarify, I'm in a bar with some friends. Friend brings in a fem activist that starts spewing about how a fetus isn't really a person and that they should be treated much like you would treat a parasite. I find this very offensive.

Safe space right?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Just to clarify, I'm in a bar with some friends. Friend brings in a fem activist that starts spewing about how a fetus isn't really a person and that they should be treated much like you would treat a parasite. I find this very offensive.

Safe space right?

If this bar does not tolerate people making pro-choice arguments, then yes.

Bentley
Yes, yes a secret defense bunker is a safe space for civilians. And no one says, life doesn't come with radiation warnings...

The point I was trying to humurously make was that being "against Safe Spaces" cannot be equated to be against "any kind of rules with time or spatial restraints". Rules existed way before a concept such as Safe Spaces were thought up, you cannot retroactively create them without heavily diminishing their relevance.

But I think you were mostly implying that being "against Safe Spaces" is just pretty vague and intellectually lazy from those who just want to be anti-anything for the sake of it. "It must suck because it's new and wants to protect sensibilities!" -shakes cane.

Nibedicus
If this bar does not tolerate people making pro-choice arguments, then yes.

Fair enough.

As long as spaces are equal (liberal/conservative ideals can be equally protected amongst patrons), I'm not too against it.

Seems like a pretty big freedom of speech issue, tho, IMO. But I don't really care all that much either way.

NemeBro

Again, saying I'm categorically against safe spaces is saying I'm against designated areas (either like a club on a campus or a private area, maybe a bar or something) where the proprietors do not tolerate certain behaviour or language. I don't see a problem with anything you said. So was Surtur just whining about shit he didn't understand?

NemeBro
It almost sounds like this is a college kid acting whiny and entitled. Nothing says "whiny and entitled" like PTSD and rape. thumb up

Bentley
I don't see a problem with anything you said. So was Surtur just whining about shit he didn't understand?

Are you acquainted with Surtur?

Bardock42
I don't see a problem with anything you said. So was Surtur just whining about shit he didn't understand?

I see that as a pattern, but your mileage may vary.

NemeBro
Are you acquainted with Surtur? I'm acquainted with everyone.

ArtificialGlory

Sure, or a room on campus that is assigned to a group, either temporarily or indefinitely. Really depends on the university.

Or alternatively a professor may make their class a safe space regarding some topic.

As long as it's not a public room like the cafeteria, the library, or just the campus grounds in general.

No. No professor should have that power. You come to a class to learn and perhaps(GASP!) even have your beliefs challenged, not to be mollycoddled. It's even worse if the university/college in question receives public funds.

Bentley
I'm acquainted with everyone.

You must have a pretty powerful immune system no expression

Bardock42
As long as it's not a public room like the cafeteria, the library, or just the campus grounds in general.

No. No professor should have that power. You come to a class to learn and perhaps(GASP!) even have your beliefs challenged, not to be mollycoddled. It's even worse if the university/college in question receives public funds.

Professors already have that power, they can ban anyone from their classroom for saying anything. A classroom is not a free speech platform for any halfwit with an opinion that comes along.

NemeBro
It's true, I would be kicked from my speech class if I gave a persuasive speech on why Muslims need to be eliminated worldwide, for example.

ArtificialGlory
Professors already have that power, they can ban anyone from their classroom for saying anything. A classroom is not a free speech platform for any halfwit with an opinion that comes along.

Then that is completely unacceptable and needs to change.

ArtificialGlory
It's true, I would be kicked from my speech class if I gave a persuasive speech on why Muslims need to be eliminated worldwide, for example.

Would the same hold true if, say, you made a pro-life argument?

NemeBro
Would the same hold true if, say, you made a pro-life argument? Probably not, no. That's not quite as looked down upon.

ArtificialGlory
Probably not, no. That's not quite as looked down upon.
Yeah, and that's the thing. Calling for genocide of 1billion+ people is one thing, but a professor having the ability to ban you from a class for expressing opinions that may not entirely fall on the left side of politics is quite another. No professor should be able to turn a class of a publicly-funded uni/college into some kinda of an ultra-liberal twilight zone. Same goes for ultra-right, of course, but ‒ let's face it ‒ that's far less of a concern in contemporary academia.

NemeBro
Yeah, and that's the thing. Calling for genocide of 1billion+ people is one thing, but a professor having the ability to ban you from a class for expressing opinions that may not entirely fall on the left side of politics is quite another. No professor should be able to turn a class of a publicly-funded uni/college into some kinda of an ultra-liberal twilight zone. Same goes for ultra-right, of course, but ‒ let's face it ‒ that's far less of a concern in contemporary academia. What is and is not an "acceptable viewpoint" is ultimately arbitrary, and comes down to who is making that decision.

Either a professor can ban any viewpoint, or they can ban no viewpoints. It is impossible to enforce a middle ground.

edit: With that said, a student could appeal to the school board to make the professor stop being a **** and censoring them, but the point stands: it then comes down to multiple people, rather than just one, deciding what is and is not acceptable to be discussed.

ArtificialGlory
What is and is not an "acceptable viewpoint" is ultimately arbitrary, and comes down to who is making that decision.

Either a professor can ban any viewpoint, or they can ban no viewpoints. It is impossible to enforce a middle ground.

edit: With that said, a student could appeal to the school board to make the professor stop being a **** and censoring them, but the point stands: it then comes down to multiple people, rather than just one, deciding what is and is not acceptable to be discussed.

Yes, but that same thing can be said about pretty much anything in human society, especially when it comes to free speech. Yet, we have learned how to come to some sort of a middle ground and the same needs to happen in institutions of learning.

Now I personally think you should be able to express any viewpoint as long as it is not actively encouraging people to go out and commit crimes.

Bardock42
And if you are a professor you can run your class in accordance with that viewpoint.

Stigma
Yes, but that same thing can be said about pretty much anything in human society, especially when it comes to free speech. Yet, we have learned how to come to some sort of a middle ground and the same needs to happen in institutions of learning.

Now I personally think you should be able to express any viewpoint as long as it is not actively encouraging people to go out and commit crimes.
I agree. People can express any viewpoint they want, as long as it does not promote or lead to violence.

This is like basic human right--freedom of speech.

This is why PC language is often used as a tool of oppression. Subjective feelings of hurt should not be a measure of what you or I can say, as long as the condition I mentioned is met.

This is why safe spaces suck.

A lot of Leftists will obviously disagree.

Bardock42
Freedom of Speech does not mean that you can say whatever you want wherever you want. Like if you start yelling about your crackpot conspiracy theories at the DMV you'll be (rightfully) asked to leave.

Stigma
Not at all. There's a fundamental difference.

I have a right to rant about conspiracy theories (and promptly be laughed at or even asked to leave) but my right to express that belief is still there. You don't like it bit you do mot outright ban it. Hence, Freedom of speech.

You are not banning people who believe in conspiracy theories, right?

What you said means really: I don't like someone's viewpoint, let's kick him out.

Plus, I already said: No violence and encouragement of violence.

jaden101
Originally posted by Stigma

A lot of Leftists will obviously disagree.

No...they wouldn't. That's why the poll is sitting at 14 to 1

Bardock42
Not at all. There's a fundamental difference.

I have a right to rant about conspiracy theories (and promptly be laughed at or even asked to leave) but my right to express that belief is still there. You don't like it bit you do mot outright ban it. Hence, Freedom of speech.

You are not banning people who believe in conspiracy theories, right?

What you said means really: I don't like someone's viewpoint, let's kick him out.

Plus, I already said: No violence and encouragement of violence.

Actually, yes, the proprietor of a space can outright ban or limit conspiracy theories.

In fact this is exactly what happened here on KMC, conspiracy theory talk that had taken overhand in this forum has been contained to a Conspiracy Forum.

Freedom of Speech has limits in public settings (certain times and places, certain speech that causes harm to people altogether) and it doesn't apply to private businesses at all.

Stigma
Only if the state propagates the liberal form of the law, which as I pointed out leads to the hogwash of subjective feelings hurt being as being the merit. Obviously that way that can be perverted and twisted to match any agenda.

Private business is obviously an exception.

Bardock42
Only if the state propagates the liberal form of the law, which as I pointed out leads to the hogwash of subjective feelings hurt being the merit.

Private business is obviously an exception.

Okay, but every state in existence actually does. I mean I get it, I used to be a libertarian, too, but in the real world that's just not how Freedom of Speech works anywhere, and for good reasons.

Emperordmb
And if you give safe spaces to liberals and conservatives what then? People sit in an echo chamber circle jerk of their own ideas, refuse to listen to opposing opinions, then we become even more polarized and divided?

Stigma
Exaclty.

Better solution: no safe spaces imho.

Emperordmb
Or better yet, people avoid criticism and any opinions that make them feel any form of shame altogether with the use of safe spaces. What happens when people feel like they're incapable of being criticized or being in the wrong on anything? Nothing good.

Bardock42
And once we are down that slippery slope who knows where society will go next????

Emperordmb
#ShamelessSociety

Surtur

Lady, please read topics before you open your mouth, okay? Since that little novel you quoted with all those examples and shit? Was posted after I'd made various replies. I actually have no problem with wanting people to act decent, I've said they should. All I'm saying is don't act like people are so special and sensitive they can't handle certain words. If, again, you'd read the entire topic you are spouting off about you'd see comments were made about this being about "90% being polite" and which yeah, you're a whiny college kid if you can't handle someone being impolite to you. If pointing this out makes me "whiny" then okie dokie that is fine, we should all be whiny then, better then overly sensitive little girls.

So please, cut the BS out. This is the pattern I see with you and certain others. You talk *massive* amounts of shit while behaving in the same exact way as the people you are talking shit about. You hurl insults at people, sometimes unprovoked, and then these same people whine and whine when it gets done to them.

It's like these people legitimately have no idea as to their own personal posting history. But they sure as shit try to go out of their way to call out others. It's hard to figure out if it's trolling or just the way they are. But holy shit the motto of this forum should definitely be those who live in glass houses should stay the hell away from throwing stones.

Also the funniest thing is..I'm FAR from the only person in this thread to even have these views. Look at the damn poll, 14 other people think it's bullshit as well.

Adam_PoE

Nancy and Stephanie are not victims in these scenarios, they are participants.

If they do not advocate for themselves, then they are tacitly accepting these situations.

If they do not care enough to say something, then why should anyone else be concerned?

Michelle and Hans need to be informed, not ostracized.

Creating spaces where they can be censored or asked to leave for expressing an uninformed or unpopular opinion does not accomplish anything.

It merely shifts the offense from one party to another and causes resentment all the way around.

But hey, Nancy and Stephanie get to be mollycoddled, and supported in their perpetual victimhood, so that's cool, right?

Bardock42

If they do not advocate for themselves, then they are tacitly accepting these situations.

If they do not care enough to say something, then why should anyone else be concerned?

Creating spaces where they can be censored or asked to leave for expressing an uninformed or unpopular opinion does not accomplish anything.

It merely shifts the offense from one party to another and causes resentment all the way around.

But hey, Nancy and Stephanie get to be mollycoddled, and supported in their perpetual victimhood, so that's cool, right?

I'm not saying they are victims. I'm saying they may prefer to have a place where they don't have to deal with it, and it's perfectly fine for them to have that place.

No one has the duty to educate someone else, and if someone goes to a space that has certain rules and breaks them it's perfectly reasonable for them to be asked to leave. That's not an offence, breaking the rule was the offence.

Surtur

I say if they want to be coddled like children then lets do it. But the catch is they don't get to pick and choose when we treat them like kids. So it has to be an all or nothing thing. So I want college professors giving students a time out if they try to talk in class without raising their hand. We also need obligatory nap time, cranky kids are the worst.

If they fail a test then a parent needs to sign it.

Bardock42
You understand that you are the one behaving like a child, arguing for your right to throw your tantrums wherever your please? But as an adult you just don't get to. If you behave badly somewhere you may be asked to leave, no matter how much you whine about it, and that's in essence what a safe space is.

Robtard
You don't get to either as a child. eg if a child throws a tantrum in the middle of a theater, said child/parents will be asked to leave.

This concept that you can act like a little shit whenever/wherever is false.

Stigma
I say if they want to be coddled like children then lets do it. But the catch is they don't get to pick and choose when we treat them like kids. So it has to be an all or nothing thing. So I want college professors giving students a time out if they try to talk in class without raising their hand. We also need obligatory nap time, cranky kids are the worst.

If they fail a test then a parent needs to sign it.
Love the idea laughing out loud

Surtur
You understand that you are the one behaving like a child, arguing for your right to throw your tantrums wherever your please? But as an adult you just don't get to. If you behave badly somewhere you may be asked to leave, no matter how much you whine about it, and that's in essence what a safe space is.

Nobody is arguing for a right to throw a tantrum though. And again: you talking to others about them acting like kids and being whiny is like Star dissing someone for being a religious nutjob.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Robtard
You don't get to either as a child. eg if a child throws a tantrum in the middle of a theater, said child/parents will be asked to leave.

This concept that you can act like a little shit whenever/wherever is false.

Yeah, that is true, you don't get to as a child either (though definitely a lot more leeway there), but children attempt to anyways, while adults usually don't, that was really my point.

Bardock42
Nobody is arguing for a right to throw a tantrum though.

Yeah, you are. You are asking that people in a designated space have to listen to your bullshit even if it's against the rules of the space. That's what you are whining about.

Surtur
Yeah, you are. You are asking that people in a designated space have to listen to your bullshit even if it's against the rules of the space. That's what you are whining about.

I'm not asking anyone to listen to me. I'm asking them not to be sensitive little girls.

Which again though: you calling anyone else out on whining is priceless to me.

Emperordmb
But who gets to decide what behaving badly is, who has authority over certain spaces?

If you wanna kick someone off of your private property that you own, you're well within you're rights to do so. But giving people the power to moderate ideas in speech in public places is bullshit. The power to moderate ideas and free speech is not something we should just hand out to people who aren't even emotionally mature enough to handle reality. Promoting escapism via controlling speech and ideas is just blatantly unhealthy.

Bardock42
I'm not asking anyone to listen to me. I'm asking them not to be sensitive little girls.

Which again though: you calling anyone else out on whining is priceless to me.

Well, we can just look back in this thread, you've been whining non-stop about "how dare they have safe spaces"....

You just don't get to say whatever you want wherever you want. Not just in what is called safe spaces, basically any social settings has rules you have to abide by. How upset and outraged you get about this trivial concept is really telling.

Adam_PoE
I'm not saying they are victims. I'm saying they may prefer to have a place where they don't have to deal with it, and it's perfectly fine for them to have that place.

They have that place, it is called their home.

No one has the duty to educate someone else, and if someone goes to a space that has certain rules and breaks them it's perfectly reasonable for them to be asked to leave. That's not an offence, breaking the rule was the offence.

If one does not care enough to educate someone else, then he does not care enough to be offended.

Emperordmb
"Designating" areas of the public as safe spaces is wrong to begin with. They're public places, not the echochamber of hugs and circle jerks.

Stigma
But who gets to decide what behaving badly is, who has authority over certain spaces?

If you wanna kick someone off of your private property that you own, you're well within you're rights to do so. But giving people the power to moderate ideas in speech in public places is bullshit. The power to moderate ideas and free speech is not something we should just hand out to people who aren't even emotionally mature enough to handle reality. Promoting escapism via controlling speech and ideas is just blatantly unhealthy.
DMB I must say this strikes at the core of the issue. Great post thumb up

TBH this common sense view should prevail.

Surtur
Well, we can just look back in this thread, you've been whining non-stop about "how dare they have safe spaces"....

Yep, I said the idea was utterly ridiculous. Which, it is. The thread was about safe spaces, and meant for us to disclose our opinions of them. I find it asinine, I find it counterproductive. It's not a "omg how dare they" it's a "wow this is f*cking silly to me".

Nobody ever said people can say whatever they want though. But hey it's cool, you bending over backwards to justify this is quite telling to me as well. So awesome, we're both telling each other things.

But when it comes to saying what you want, if you have a black guy in a room and someone comes up, gets in his face, and begins screaming racial slurs at the dude, and just overall being aggressive...I never said people should ignore that type of shit.

I was mostly going off what Omega said about this being about 90% being polite. Which to me is bunk because if you can't handle a person being rude you are a child. So don't come back acting like I ever said "do whatever the f*ck you want".

Bardock42
They have that place, it is called their home.

If one does not care enough to educate someone else, then he does not care enough to be offended.

Yes, they have their home (if they are lucky), and maybe they have other places as well, perhaps a bar they frequent that has certain rules or a space on campus that's designated as a safe space for people to hang out...

That's beautifully said, but obviously nonsense. You only have limited time in your life and not everyone is worth educating.

Bardock42
Yep, I said the idea was utterly ridiculous. Which, it is. The thread was about safe spaces, and meant for us to disclose our opinions of them. I find it asinine, I find it counterproductive. It's not a "omg how dare they" it's a "wow this is f*cking silly to me".

Nobody ever said people can say whatever they want though. But hey it's cool, you bending over backwards to justify this is quite telling to me as well. So awesome, we're both telling each other things, learning things about each other.

But when it comes to saying what you want, if you have a black guy in a room and someone comes up, gets in his face, and begins screaming racial slurs at the dude, and just overall being aggressive...I never said people should ignore that type of shit.

I was mostly going off what Omega said about this being about 90% being polite. Which to me is bunk because if you can't handle a person being rude you are a child. So don't come back acting like I ever said "do whatever the f*ck you want".

I can really tell how calm and non-whiny you are.

You are obsessively opposed to a very simple concept that's basically the norm everywhere else already. You can't go to a black church and start hurling racist insults, you can't go to a gay bar and start being openly homophobic without consequences. It's the same for safe spaces...

Bardock42
"Designating" areas of the public as safe spaces is wrong to begin with. They're public places, not the echochamber of hugs and circle jerks.

So, I assume you oppose the University Spanish club having designated facilities as well?

Surtur
I can really tell how calm and non-whiny you are.

If that is whiny then you yourself have been whiny in several threads I've seen. So alrighty then.

Who said you should be able to do the things you are saying? Since as I've said multiple times, this was mostly about the "this is mostly about being polite" thing. Which yeah, I find to be bunk if you can't handle that.

That is a far cry from saying a person should be able to come up to you and confront you and fire off racial slurs. Since to me getting in someones face and hurling racial slurs is a far cry from merely being impolite.

Bardock42
So you are actually for safe spaces then? Because if you are against them, that is what you are against...

Surtur
I'm against a space where you have to be polite. I am not against a space where you can't get in someones face and verbally abuse them. But see that should be EVERY space.

Bardock42
And where do you draw that arbitrary line?

Surtur
Well that's the problem, isn't it? Who gets to decide that? Where I'd draw the line is different from where some other person might draw it.

But to give you some idea, I think having certain topics that are off limits is absolutely ridiculous. Discussing a topic is not verbal abuse.

Bardock42
Well that's the problem, isn't it? Who gets to decide that? Where I'd draw the line is different from where some other person might draw it.

Yeah, so that's why different people can decide different rules for the places they are in charge of, no?

Adam_PoE
That's beautifully said, but obviously nonsense. You only have limited time in your life and not everyone is worth educating.

Yes, you only have limited time in your life, which is why if you do not have the time to educate someone, then you do not have the time to be offended either.

Bardock42
Yes, you only have limited time in your life, which is why if you do not have the time to educate someone, then you do not have the time to be offended either.

That's just not how getting offended works though, is it?

Surtur
Yeah, so that's why different people can decide different rules for the places they are in charge of, no?

For private places? Sure.

Bardock42
For private places? Sure.

And what for designated spaces on a college campus? Like say a Spanish Club, a Glee Club, a Safe Space or the Student Newspaper?

NemeBro
Well that's the problem, isn't it? Who gets to decide that? The person in control of the designated "safe space", as gay as that fruity term is.

You don't seem to be paying much attention to the thread.

Surtur
The person in control of the designated "safe space", as gay as that fruity term is.

Just wow. The point was to illustrate that what crosses a line for one person might not cross the line for others.

Then you come in here calling the term safe space "gay". Yet you still continue to insult others.

Surtur
And what for designated spaces on a college campus? Like say a Spanish Club, a Glee Club, a Safe Space or the Student Newspaper?

Common sense should apply, so nope you can't go into the Spanish Club shouting about wetbacks and calling them all illegal immigrants and rapists. But as I said there shouldn't merely be certain places you can't behave that way. It should be everywhere in the school, the classroom, the library, etc.

I have no problem getting rid of someone who is specifically trying to f*ck with another person. But on the other hand if you aren't comfortable with the topic of abortion and I am near you and I begin discussing it..that doesn't mean I'm trying to f*ck with you.

Stigma
The person in control of the designated "safe space", as gay as that fruity term is.

So it could happen that self-entitled prick will control the space full of whiney brats and throw out anyone with common sense who challenges their "safety"?

What a wonderful idea those safe spaces are. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Emperordmb
The person in charge of the designated safe space should not be arbitrarily designated control over public space. When people have control over space, it's called ownership and it's something they pay money for. They rightfully own the money, and then they use that to rightfully own the area, which they rightfully have control over.

People shouldn't just be given control of designated public spaces because of the feels or whatever. If you want a safe space, buy a ****ing house or apartment or something, you aren't entitled to a space you have control over.

Adam_PoE
That's just not how getting offended works though, is it?

No one can make anyone feel anything. Our initial reaction may be to take offense, but we have to choose to be offended. One could just as easily choose to disregard what the other person is saying.

ArtificialGlory
And if you are a professor you can run your class in accordance with that viewpoint.
No professor should own their class. They're there to teach, not enforce political beliefs.

Bardock42
No one can make anyone feel anything. Our initial reaction may be to take offense, but we have to choose to be offended. One could just as easily choose to disregard what the other person is saying.

I don't subscribe to the belief that humans have full control of their emotions. I certainly do not, and I believe at the very least the vast majority of people do not.

No professor should own their class. They're there to teach, not enforce political beliefs.

Professors are employed to teach their subject matter, to that end they have extensive control over their classes. If a professor believes that the best way to teach their subject is not to provide a platform for certain opinions that's perfectly reasonable.

ArtificialGlory
Professors are employed to teach their subject matter, to that end they have extensive control over their classes. If a professor believes that the best way to teach their subject is not to provide a platform for certain opinions that's perfectly reasonable.

Well, they shouldn't have such extensive control, then. If a professor believes that censoring certain opinions is the best way to teach, then that should require extensive investigation and approval by the uni/college itself or even the board of education. There's nothing reasonable in appropriating public spaces and turning them into hugboxes.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>