Greatest game you never played

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Games that didn't do well, that you'd recommend.

I was very, very impressed with Enslaved: Odyssey to the West when I bought it a few years back. Visually, it kind of reminded me of something I'd expect to see on Nintendo, with the colorful environments, and I liked the characters more then what something like Bioshock Infinite gave us..

And the ending rush defined epic.

Smasandian
Yeah, Enslaved was a very good game. You can get it on Steam if you can't find a hard copy.

Games that I thought were good - great that I don't think a ton of people played.

1. Bulletstorm - ****ing fun as shit and interesting locale.
2. Call of Juerez: Gunslinger
3. Door Kickers - very interesting top down turn-based/real time counter terrorist thingy.
4. Wargame Red Dragon - not really well know mainstream but RTS fans love it. I think it's probably the best RTS out there in the last few years. ****ing tough to master but awesome if you do.

Adam Grimes
Resident Evil Outbreak File #1 and #2. 10/10 Imo.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Smasandian
Bulletstorm - ****ing fun as shit and interesting locale.
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Resident Evil Outbreak File #1 and #2.

thumb up

Surtur
Clive Barker's Undying- one of the best FPS I have ever played. It's on PC, and it is far far superior to Clive Barkers Jericho game. It has a wonderful horror-like atmosphere, cool game play, great sound effects, etc.

Then there is Anachronox, also for PC. Gameplay is similar to FF7, but it's got an epic storyline with a lot of humor in it. For example you can get a drunken mexican super hero in your party. This game is on steam.

Then you have Phantom Dust on the xbox. It's just a really awesome game. A very unique game, I've never played anything like it.

Also on xbox is Breakdown, a FPS. Has an interesting storyline and does super powered fights quite well for a FPS.

I also think Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines didn't get the love it deserved. I love the World of Darkness and that is one of the best vampire video games I have ever played. It truly captures the look and feel of the World of Darkness.

Tzeentch
Republic Commando.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Republic Commando. **** yeah.

Surtur
The Freedom Force games.

cdtm
Originally posted by Surtur
The Freedom Force games.

FOR FREEEDOM!

The fan mods really made that series. Once had Galactus and Spectre duking it out, and another time the Decepticons invaded Freedom City.

Kazenji

Then there is Anachronox, also for PC. Gameplay is similar to FF7, but it's got an epic storyline with a lot of humor in it. For example you can get a drunken mexican super hero in your party. This game is on steam..

Seen this one on GOG

also Steam blows for older games.

Surtur
Yeah especially the one mod for Freedom Force vs the Third Reich. But I'm not talking about a mod that adds new levels, rather one that adds a whole shitload of new feats and powers..as well as new custom animations for the powers(like the green boxing glove a GL is known for shooting at enemies). Cool new additions like telekinesis.

http://www.mike.va.com.au/ffx/index.htm

I always thought the second game was the best. It does neat stuff like allowing you to play as Timemaster.

Surtur
Originally posted by Kazenji
Seen this one on GOG

also Steam blows for older games.

Why does it blow?

Kazenji
Why does it blow?

They (Whoever it may be) fail at getting older games to work on modern operating systems imo.

-Pr-
Yeah especially the one mod for Freedom Force vs the Third Reich. But I'm not talking about a mod that adds new levels, rather one that adds a whole shitload of new feats and powers..as well as new custom animations for the powers(like the green boxing glove a GL is known for shooting at enemies). Cool new additions like telekinesis.

I always thought the second game was the best. It does neat stuff like allowing you to play as Timemaster.

****ing love that game. So many hours wasted adding characters and setting up dream fights.

Nemesis X
Geist on the GameCube.

Smasandian
They (Whoever it may be) fail at getting older games to work on modern operating systems imo.

Steam is just a store. GOG was about making older games works.

Not sure why you think Steam should be making sure games work on modern systems. It's a just a store. It's the publishers responsible.

cdtm
Got Sacred Citadel through the Games with Gold deal.

Seems pretty good to me. Like a modern day take on Golden Axe.

Not sure why it's been panned by reviewers. Maybe because it isn't gimmicky? God forbid anyone makes a straight up brawler without a hook, whether it's using a previous ip or ramps up the crudeness..

Jmanghan

Not sure why you think Steam should be making sure games work on modern systems. It's a just a store. It's the publishers responsible.

Actually, its also Steam's fault.

Case in point, I bought KOTOR 1 off the gamestop PC store app, and it worked fine.

Yet on Steam you hear issues of stuttering, hard crashes, glitches and stuff.

It works great for SOME new games. -COUGH- ARKHAM KNIGHT!!! -COUGH-

But for a lot of the games, I'd rather pirate a game then buy it off steam because it'd probably run better.

Even Skyrim under recommended settings was running like shit for me, and this was when my pc was in good condition.

Kazenji

Of course Steam is only interested in making cash roll eyes (sarcastic)

we don't care if we continue to sell some old games that won't work on modern system's.

Zack Fair
Tough to judge with and without nostalgia glasses.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Actually, its also Steam's fault.

Case in point, I bought KOTOR 1 off the gamestop PC store app, and it worked fine.

Yet on Steam you hear issues of stuttering, hard crashes, glitches and stuff.

It works great for SOME new games. -COUGH- ARKHAM KNIGHT!!! -COUGH-

But for a lot of the games, I'd rather pirate a game then buy it off steam because it'd probably run better.

Even Skyrim under recommended settings was running like shit for me, and this was when my pc was in good condition.

That's complete bullshit.

Zack Fair
Ugh. Thought it meant "greatest game you ever played." So ignore my previous comment lol

Surtur
Speaking of Gamecube..the game "Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem" is awesome. A cool game about cosmic horrors.

Originally posted by -Pr-
****ing love that game. So many hours wasted adding characters and setting up dream fights.

Yeah, I'd spend hours just creating new characters and tweaking their powers. Sometimes I'd create huge battle royals and put both sides under the control of the computer and watch the carnage. But yeah the mod link I posted adds even more stuff to it, I spent over an hour going over the new attributes.

That's complete bullshit.

It's actually not, I had problems with the KOTOR series on Steam as well, though not the same problems. For me on Steam KOTOR 1 works perfectly. But KOTOR 2 has one big flaw in that the camera messes up and begins to slowly rise up higher and then it just goes to a weird angle and it just makes the game unplayable. But a non-steam version of KOTOR 2 worked fine.

Though speaking of that I will put KOTOR 2 on the greatest games nobody played, for one reason: most people who have played it have not played the most complete version. You see a lot of content was cut out. But this content has been restored for the PC version so you can download it and apply it, Steam even has it for download too. It adds cutscenes and some new items and quests. One of the new things is you go with HK-47 on a mission to the droid factory.

Smasandian
That's par for the course for any game, especially PC games.

KOTOR 2 was plagued with bugs on all versions. I remember the PC version having huge issues. You can make the case that Steam shouldn't be selling a product that doesn't work (even though it's normal for PC games to work for some people and it doesn't for others), and allow refunds (before they did) but Valve is under no obligation to fix the product. It's just a store.

cdtm

They had that for base FF, too. Summoning mechs had Kyle Rayner written all over it.

Ever play that one mod that had Wolverine and Minuteman teaming up against Predators and aliens and all kinds of stuff? Somehow, they got Minutemans voice actor for it.

That JLA mod was great, too. Based on the animated series, with nods to the Crisis and 90's comic book history.

jaden101
I never played Ico or Shadow of the Colossus despite always hearing good things. Also never tried and of the God of War games. Or any of the Battlefield games.

cdtm
Just dug of Freedom Force and that crossover mod. It was called The Great Hunt, and it started out with Wolverine, Martian Manhunter, and Minuteman teaming up.

And as I just rediscovered, it was also friggan impossible. The first mission puts Wolverine against Grundy, Shocker, and Electro all at once. The second mission has you trying to stop the Wrecking Crew from destroying a school, a Predator, Shocker, and Grundy run interference. What makes the second especially impossible, is the buildings are made of cardboard.. They go down in under ten seconds against a cl 100, let alone a group of them..

Bentley
Pac-man Championship Edition XD.

Nibedicus
Hm. Witcher 3. Got it it 3x (a free download from my vid card, bought actual PC game cuz stupid thing wouldn't download right then bought it for my PS4).

Still haven't got around to playing it.

cdtm
Originally posted by Bentley
Pac-man Championship Edition XD.

That game will steal your soul. As will its sequel.

Still try and S rank the Spiral 10 minute course every now and then.

ares834

Surtur
Hmm, perhaps they were able to fix the problem. Though I don't think everyone who played it experienced problems so it could just be that. Also whenever I have the game open if I plug my controller in the camera begins spinning around uncontrollably.

On that note I'm still surprised when I come across the more recent PC games that do not support controllers. Some only support xbox 360 controllers. Though there are ways to fool them into thinking your controller is a 360 one.

Stoic
I had to think about this for a while. I don't know if it's any good, but I've always wanted to play Monster Hunter for the Wii. Never got the system though.

Bentley
Originally posted by Stoic
I had to think about this for a while. I don't know if it's any good, but I've always wanted to play Monster Hunter for the Wii. Never got the system though.

Tri is not all that good as far as MH games go. The water combat is a bit broken and uneven, the rooster of monsters and weapons is fine but Switchaxe and Slime are unbalanced.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Stoic
I had to think about this for a while. I don't know if it's any good, but I've always wanted to play Monster Hunter for the Wii. Never got the system though. The best ones are definitely either the ones on the PSP or the 3DS.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Bentley
Tri is not all that good as far as MH games go. The water combat is a bit broken and uneven, the rooster of monsters and weapons is fine but Switchaxe and Slime are unbalanced.

Its not unbalanced. You can kill any monster in the game with Slime just as fast as you can with Sword & Shield.

Unless they left more things unbalanced on Tri then they did 3 Ultimate.

Kazenji
Originally posted by jaden101
I never played Ico or Shadow of the Colossus despite always hearing good things. Also never tried and of the God of War games. Or any of the Battlefield games.

Battlefield games are best played online, The single player campaigns for them are usually shit.

Surtur
Serpent in the Staglands, which is now on Steam. One of those quality indie RPG's that come to places like Steam. It's on GOG too despite coming out in 2015:

zmjZYIndaCA

In case anyone is wondering the trailer contains gameplay footage too.

cdtm
nt

John Murdoch
Best games I've never played that are very mainstream hits:

- Bioshock
- The Last of Us
- Any Final Fantasy after IX (from fans and publications, X is always near the top, though I've heard from a friend and through following Dark Pixel that FFXII is great)

Games I consider great that never caught on with the masses:

- The Tex Murphy series of neo-noir cyberpunk adventure games. Starting specifically at Under a Killing Moon through The Tesla Effect, as Mean Streets was nigh-unplayable to me and Martian Memorandum takes a long time to get used to.

Smasandian
Pretty much any PS2 era games that have not been re-released on newer consoles.

LordofBrooklyn
Skyrim

Nibedicus
Haven't played Witcher 3, yet. Well I have, but I can't seem to get thru the first 10 minutes of the game before losing interest. I know the game is awesome but I can't seem to get into it.

cdtm
Tempest.

Could never find an arcade machine.

cdtm

By re-release, do you mean hd remake, or downloadable ps2 title?

I'd recommend getting God Hand any way you could. Things the definitive underappreciated classic.

BackFire

Me too.

The PS2 came out at a weird time for me, I was into PC gaming then and so didn't really play much console games. So things like Shadow of the Colossus, GTA3 and San Andreas, God of War, Silent Hill 2, Kingdom Hearts and things like that never got around to. I'm excited to play the Shadow of the Colossus remake that's coming out next month.

Smasandian
Yeah, I had a PC and was playing games like Starcraft, Team Fortress Classic, Counter Strike, Age of Empires and any Half Life mod I could get.

I also had a N64 and then GameCube so I never touched those games.

Kazenji
Skyrim & Witcher 3 for me.

altho i probably won't ever play Skyrim just have not interest in it.

Jmanghan
Witcher 3.

I have it, just haven't played it.

BackFire
Yeah, I had a PC and was playing games like Starcraft, Team Fortress Classic, Counter Strike, Age of Empires and any Half Life mod I could get.

I also had a N64 and then GameCube so I never touched those games.

I played a lot of PSX and N64 games. Just not so much the follow generation. Then during the X360 generation I got back into console gaming and played a bunch.

Kazenji
Originally posted by BackFire
Me too.

The PS2 came out at a weird time for me, I was into PC gaming then and so didn't really play much console games. So things like Shadow of the Colossus, GTA3 and San Andreas, God of War, Silent Hill 2, Kingdom Hearts and things like that never got around to. I'm excited to play the Shadow of the Colossus remake that's coming out next month.

I'm guessing you also didn't have a PS3?

because Shadow of the Colossus got re-released on that too.

Impediment
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Best games I've never played that are very mainstream hits:

- Bioshock
- The Last of Us

I strongly urge you to play these two games. Absolute masterpieces.

Me? I've never played any of the Mass Effect games. Everyone tells me that I'm sorely missing out.

Adam Grimes
And you are. One of the best game series out there. (Talking about the OT)

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Impediment
I strongly urge you to play these two games. Absolute masterpieces.

Me? I've never played any of the Mass Effect games. Everyone tells me that I'm sorely missing out. Originally posted by Adam Grimes
And you are. One of the best game series out there. (Talking about the OT)

Thanks, Imp. I need to get around to them. My brother put Bioshock at #9 in his top ten, and a friend and coworker said Last of Us affected him on an emotional level like no other game ever.

About to finish Mass Effect now, Imp. As Adam says, it is a masterwork.

cdtm
If we're talking mainstream, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are sitting on a shelf in shrink wrap.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Republic Commando. What's your steam? Have you played it yet?

cdtm
Skyrim & Witcher 3 for me.

altho i probably won't ever play Skyrim just have not interest in it.

I wouldn't recommend it.

The first half hour of gameplay, I fell through the floor and looped out the sky several times. After all these years and patch's, the game is still a buggy mess.

Surtur
Originally posted by cdtm
I wouldn't recommend it.

The first half hour of gameplay, I fell through the floor and looped out the sky several times. After all these years and patch's, the game is still a buggy mess.

Wait are you talking about Skyrim?

Play it on PC. To be honest every single Elder Scrolls game should be played on a PC over a console. The reason is: mods. True they did come out with a special version of Skyrim for consoles that let you use mods, but if I recall correctly it doesn't allow for every mod out there.

If you were already playing on the PC then download the unofficial patch. It fixes loads of things the official patches do not. In fact even if you weren't playing on PC...you should get the unofficial patch if you ever play the PC version.

Adam Grimes
Skyrim. Diablo. Alone in the Dark.

samhain
Assault Rigs - Original Playstation game.

Wacky Races - Dreamcast.

Vigilante 8 - Playstation/N64.

FMX - PS2.

All of these games are seriously underrated, with the exception of Wacky Races nobody knows what you're talking about. They're also all vehicle games as well which is weird because they aren't really my thing.

cdtm
Rtype Delta/Leo. Einhander. Arnored Core: Master of Arena (Project Phantasma was fun, as was the first game.)

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm
I wouldn't recommend it.

It's not so much that

just not a big fan of the Elder Scroll's games in general, I'm more of a Fallout person.

Tzeentch
Okami or some Nintendo trash, probably.

cdtm
Guardian Heroes is pretty much the best brawler ever made.

And no one plays it.

I got the hd remake for less then 2 dollars years back. That's a sign of a failed ip, and it's a shame because it's more fun then any Smash, or modern Castle Crashers like brawler.

jinXed by JaNx
I can think of quite a few games that flew under the radar. Whether it was because of poor marketing or biased reviewers here are my five games no one ever played.

1. Psi ops-PS2

2.saboteur - Xbox360

3. Psychonauts

4. Shenmue

5. Cookers bad fur day.

Spec ops the line

cdtm
Ditto on Psychonauts.

Wasn't until Gametap used it at a free sample, that I ever heard of it.

Factoryresethp
Hello, In a perfect world, critical success would run directly parallel with how well a video game sells commercially. Unfortunately, this just isn't true, and there are many games released every year that just couldn't persuade people to part with their hard-earned cash despite being masterpieces. if you want any help regarding Factory reset Hp laptop you can visit here,

Jmanghan
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I can think of quite a few games that flew under the radar. Whether it was because of poor marketing or biased reviewers here are my five games no one ever played.

1. Psi ops-PS2

2.saboteur - Xbox360

3. Psychonauts

4. Shenmue

5. Cookers bad fur day.

Spec ops the line Conker and Shenmue? :/ I haven't met a single person that hasn't at least HEARD of those games.

Kazenji
Only played a little bit of Shenmue, It's a product of it's time. Plenty of games since then have expanded and made the the gameplay alot better.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.