Assisted suicide

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
We all know someone who died of a terminal illness, like cancer, if we haven't had someone in our own family afflicted with such an illness. We should all know what such an illness does to a person..

So why are are we so adverse to, at the very least, providing the option of assisted suicide in the worst cases?

Bentley
I assume it's the taboo with suicide and the societal fear of having to build a civilization where people are expected to drop dead at will (of course, this is an irrational fear). Control freaks want to keep people alive because it fits their mindset, other malicious people could use assisted suicide as a means to kill people.

But all in all, we just aren't intelligent enough of a civilization to see the virtues of mass suicide.

quanchi112
Religious views warp people's minds and they believe you will suffer forever. That's the main reason IMO.

cdtm
On the "doctors will murder you" logic:

See, the thing is Doctors already have the means of killing anyone in their care they want, and making it look like natural causes.

If someone thinks some doctors would abuse assisted suicide as a "murder button", then why would they trust their lives to one in any case?

Surtur
For me I think if an adult wants to die then let them. Until we gain the technology to body jump and can literally walk a mile in someones shoes we have no way of knowing what they are truly going through and thus it is not any of our business.

Though for me I wouldn't even say I am against suicide of someone who isn't sick. Let me explain: I don't encourage this and obviously it is a mental illness, but if someone takes depression meds and shit and it still doesn't help and they want to off themselves? Then as long as they do it in a way that doesn't harm others I say..meh, because other we'd just have to keep them locked up under suicide watch, and probably even doped up. Which is no way to exist.

One Big Mob
Originally posted by cdtm
On the "doctors will murder you" logic:

See, the thing is Doctors already have the means of killing anyone in their care they want, and making it look like natural causes.

If someone thinks some doctors would abuse assisted suicide as a "murder button", then why would they trust their lives to one in any case? In the case of murder happy doctors, you'd need like legal documents stating that you willingly allow so and so to murder you.

Therefore allowing no fault on either side if this became a thing.

Newjak
What do you guys think the mental impact on Doctors would be if they had to help assist suicides?

I'm wondering if there are any studies on this?

Robtard
Can't see doctors being forced to help with a suicide and there seems to be doctors willing to help those who want it, go out peacefully/painlessly.

Do wonder how they get around their Hippocratic oath though. Probably mercy killing =/= causing harm

Newjak
Originally posted by Robtard
Can't see doctor's being forced to help with a suicide and there seems to be doctors willing to help those who want it, go out peacefully/painlessly.

Do wonder how they get around their Hippocratic oath though. Probably mercy killing =/= causing harm That's true I guess.

I just know most studies have shown that executioners, even when executing the worst criminals, have a tradition of depression and possible suicide.

I was wondering if their would be a similar trend in this case.

Although I guess if you can convince yourself that it is what they want versus an execution that could help like you said.

Raisen
although i'm catholic i see nothing wrong with a person in constant pain wanting to die.

Surtur
There are doctors that are willing to do it. I don't know if I'd exactly compare them to an executioner. Since they are usually killing otherwise healthy people who could potentially live a full life. With this you are ending the pain of someone terminally ill who would only have a horrible existence to look forward too.

Newjak
Originally posted by Surtur
There are doctors that are willing to do it. I don't know if I'd exactly compare them to an executioner. Since they are usually killing otherwise healthy people who could potentially live a full life. With this you are ending the pain of someone terminally ill who would only have a horrible existence to look forward too. And I can see how that difference could change the mental effects on the Doctors willing to do this.

I'm just wondering if there was ever a study done on this before hand.

Surtur
I don't know, is Dr. Kevorkian still alive?

Newjak
Originally posted by Surtur
I don't know, is Dr. Kevorkian still alive? Apparently not. He died back in 2011

ArtificialGlory
To live too long is to live in pain. I'm for it.

Time-Immemorial
People should have the right to chose how they die.

Bentley
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
People should have the right to chose how they die.

Unless they are terrorists shifty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.