DC: Rebirth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zack M
So, a lot of news out this last week.

Geoff Johns will be writing a massive story that includes all the books in one way or another.

iDuupQxkEe8

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-geoff-johns-details-rebirth-plan-seeks-to-restore-legacy-to-dc-universe

Rebirth lineup, all books at 2.99, and some are going to be double shipped:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-announces-full-rebirth-line-twice-monthly-books-lowered-price-point

June:

Rebirth Specials:

AQUAMAN REBIRTH #1
BATMAN REBIRTH #1
THE FLASH REBIRTH #1
GREEN ARROW REBIRTH #1
GREEN LANTERNS REBIRTH #1
SUPERMAN REBIRTH #1
TITANS REBIRTH #1
WONDER WOMAN REBIRTH #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping twice monthly):

AQUAMAN #1
BATMAN #1
THE FLASH #1
GREEN ARROW #1
GREEN LANTERNS #1
SUPERMAN #1
WONDER WOMAN #1

New Issues (Shipping twice monthly):

ACTION COMICS #957
DETECTIVE COMICS #934

July

Rebirth Specials:

BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY REBIRTH #1
HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS REBIRTH #1
THE HELLBLAZER REBIRTH #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE REBIRTH #1
NIGHTWING REBIRTH #1
RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS REBIRTH #1

HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE #1
NIGHTWING #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):

BATGIRL #1
BATGIRL & THE BIRDS OF PREY #1
THE HELLBLAZER #1
RED HOOD & THE OUTLAWS #1
THE SUPER-MAN #1
TITANS #1

Fall

Rebirth Specials:

BATMAN BEYOND REBIRTH #1
BLUE BEETLE REBIRTH #1
CYBORG REBIRTH #1
DEATHSTROKE REBIRTH #1
EARTH 2 REBIRTH #1
SUICIDE SQUAD REBIRTH #1
SUPERGIRL REBIRTH #1
TEEN TITANS REBIRTH #1
TRINITY REBIRTH #1

CYBORG #1
DEATHSTROKE #1
HARLEY QUINN #1
JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA #1
SUICIDE SQUAD #1

New #1 Issues (Shipping monthly):

BATMAN BEYOND #1
BLUE BEETLE #1
EARTH 2 #1
GOTHAM ACADEMY: NEXT SEMESTER #1
SUPERGIRL #1
SUPERWOMAN #1
SUPER SONS #1
TEEN TITANS #1
TRINITY #1

Geoff Johns is off JL

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/johns-announces-justice-league-departure-ahead-of-rebirth

Jim Lee to draw Suicide Squad

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/jim-lee-artist-suicide-squad-rebirth

Tom King, Clay Mann, John Timms, and Sam Humphries sign exclusive contracts

http://www.newsarama.com/28034-dc-signs-tom-king-more-to-exclusive-deals-ahead-of-june-s-rebirth.html

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/18/sam-humphries-signs-exclusively-to-dc-comics-ahead-of-rebirth/

-Pr-
Bollocks.

Galan007
I can't help but be embarrassed for DC at this point.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Galan007

thumb up

Philosophía
I can't help but be embarrassed for DC at this point. thumb up

On one hand, I hope they don't change history again, and New 52 stays in continuity.

On the other hand, I kind of hope they do, so I can stop reading them entirely.

Khazra Reborn
Wow, I'm not interested in any of these.

Q99
I don't get why they're going back to Batman Beyond (and *please* tell me they aren't going with Tim-Batman Beyond) and Deathstoke (why not Midnighter, who's book is way better?), disappointed that they're returning Dick to Nightwing (him being a spy was new and interesting!), and fingers crossed for a Wonder Woman without a horrible backstory, but for the most part it's a fairly conservative lineup and that makes a lot of sense considering how much they're faltering.

The problem isn't that they don't put out good stuff, it's that there's no continuity so when someone starts reading for the new stuff, in a year or two it's gone and so are they. They need to retain readers between authors and encourage people to move between titles, which requires more consistency and coordination than they've been showing.

Given that, though, a more conservative lineup of mostly popular name characters does make sense, even if it doesn't have anything that wows me. It'll be easier to reduce the churn that way.

The real question I guess is if they realize they need to reduce churn, or if they're just thinking "THIS rotation of titles will get all the sales back! And if it doesn't last, why, we can do this again in two years!" The problem could be higher up with Bob Harris and Didio and their approach to running things, after all.

krisblaze
Batman Beyond is immensely popular.

I can't imagine they'll have a difficult time selling that book.

Q99
Originally posted by krisblaze
Batman Beyond is immensely popular.

I can't imagine they'll have a difficult time selling that book.

Have you followed the latest stuff? Or, which incarnations of his books over the last several years have you picked up?

Batman Beyond- as in Terry McGuiness- was popular as a show. There were multiple Terry books, which had pretty stable, but I hate to say it, low, sales, and had a spinoff or two that did the same with Superman and the Justice League of the time. The first one of these books was noted for ditching Terry's gallery like Inque in exchange for future versions of characters like Hush to mixed reactions, but later ones were better and introduced a Batgirl Beyond and similar and I've heard good reviews.

After Future's End, they replaced Terry with Future Tim Drake in a post-apoc setting with some of Terry's cast. In 8 issues, it dropped from 50k sales (right out of FE) to 20k (as-of January, the last month I have sales info on), and is presumably still falling at a rapid pace. I don't think I've seen anyone speak any buzz about this one.

Terry and the Batman Beyond concept is *cool*, but it's not an easy sell based on an older show as it is, and they'd messed with the concept very heavily so I don't think it has heavy draw on it's own. I mean, you can of course do a pretty good Terry book, and tied to a relaunch it may have a chance, but it's by no means a natural safe bet is what I'm saying.

Zack M
Current Batman Beyond book is surprisingly good, especially since Dan Jurgens hasn't written anything good in a while. I think they'll continue with that series.

Q99
Originally posted by Zack M
Current Batman Beyond book is surprisingly good, especially since Dan Jurgens hasn't written anything good in a while. I think they'll continue with that series.

Huh, that surprises me (for aforementioned 'Tim not Terry' reasons).

Still, sales wise it's an odd choice. It's lost 7k sales in the last two months.

Zack M
That's just a guess. Losing sales isn't anything new. last BB series lost sales as well.

Q99
That's just a guess. Losing sales isn't anything new. last BB series lost sales as well.

Losing sales isn't new, but there's 'standard attrition' and 'sales freefall.'

Like, the previous series would normally lose a few hundred a month. Not ideal, but it's like, you can look at that and say, "We're at 20k, In 6 months, sales will be at, say, 18 if we're lucky, 15k if we're not." That is a fairly standard low-sales-but-has-a-following book that's not going to last indefinitely, but makes plenty of sense to keep going at least.

If you're at 20k and you lost 2k last month (which it did), you better hope that things level out fast or you could find yourself at single-digit thousand sales before long... in other words Batman Beyond looked to me solidly like it would be on the chopping block before this relaunch.

In the same time Batman Beyond dropped 9,000 (or in other words, October to January, 29k to 20k), Sinestro, another low seller in the same range, dropped 3k (23k to 20k) at the same time.

If it's restarting, I do wonder if they're going back to Terry and the non-post apoc setting- even if TimBB is a good story, it's sales resemble a sinking stone.

Zack M
I'm not sure how they'll go back to Terry since they killed him off. The current series is pretty damn good, so I hope they don't bring him back.

Zack M
Comparing the Batman Beyond series in 1999 (Which featured Terry) is a lot similar to now. The sales from that series went down to 17,000 and below.

Q99
I'm not sure how they'll go back to Terry since they killed him off. The current series is pretty damn good, so I hope they don't bring him back.

They killed him in a story involved time travel. Wouldn't be hard.

Yes, but the per-issue drop is much smaller and it was able to stay stable around those levels. And it's the modern times, not a decade and a half ago, that matter.

It started pretty low, but from issue 6 to issue 16- a whole year (and 16 being the issue where it ended)- Batman Beyond Universe, the latest Terry book, dropped three thousand readers.

You know, not far from what the current series does per issue.

Unless the current series stabilized hard before the reboot, as a publisher I'd be going, "Danger, Danger!".

Yes, even if it's good. Unless it's getting seriously good press in the news or graphic novel/digital sales way above that (I don't think it's graphic novel has even come out yet), it's not something that, business-wise, is justifiable to do much with other than wrap up the story (I also say publishing wise, it's almost always a good idea to wrap up the story because it creates fewer ill feelings than a sudden cutoff).

Zack M
Originally posted by Q99
They killed him in a story involved time travel. Wouldn't be hard.

Yes, but the per-issue drop is much smaller and it was able to stay stable around those levels. And it's the modern times, not a decade and a half ago, that matter.

It started pretty low, but from issue 6 to issue 16- a whole year (and 16 being the issue where it ended)- Batman Beyond Universe, the latest Terry book, dropped three thousand readers.

You know, not far from what the current series does per issue.

Unless the current series stabilized hard before the reboot, as a publisher I'd be going, "Danger, Danger!".

Yes, even if it's good. Unless it's getting seriously good press in the news or graphic novel/digital sales way above that (I don't think it's graphic novel has even come out yet), it's not something that, business-wise, is justifiable to do much with other than wrap up the story (I also say publishing wise, it's almost always a good idea to wrap up the story because it creates fewer ill feelings than a sudden cutoff).

Even if it was Terry, I don't see the sales increasing all that much. The current storyline is actually pretty good, so I hope they keep the same team flowing.

Q99
Even if it was Terry, I don't see the sales increasing all that much.

Well, yes. Considering DC's dire need of stable good sales, going with a book that's prior version was in crashing low sales, and who's old ones were sub-20k stable sales, it's an odd business choice no matter how you slice it, no matter which Batman Beyond. Tim is just moderately more bizarre a chance than Terry, since fewer people are attached to him in the role, but neither seem a business choice.

Consider that there's characters like Starfire and Power Girl who can hold books at better sales. Or, heck, a modern Tim Drake book, 'Red Robin,' would leave me less head-scratchy.

Even if it's good, sales/business wise, it is bonko to include during an attempt to save DC from the threat of low sales.

Zack M
Wow, BB (1999 series) was almost at single digits there. Lowest point was 11,000.

Zack M
Originally posted by Q99
Well, yes. Considering DC's dire need of stable good sales, going with a book that's prior version was in crashing low sales, and who's old ones were sub-20k stable sales, it's an odd business choice no matter how you slice it, no matter which Batman Beyond. Tim is just moderately more bizarre a chance than Terry, since fewer people are attached to him in the role, but neither seem a business choice.

Consider that there's characters like Starfire and Power Girl who can hold books at better sales. Or, heck, a modern Tim Drake book, 'Red Robin,' would leave me less head-scratchy.

Even if it's good, sales/business wise, it is bonko to include during an attempt to save DC from the threat of low sales.

Most of DC's smaller, obscure characters have never sold all that well in the past. I don't expect Terry to be any different.

Zack M
BTW, here are the sales figures I got from CBR.

Q99
Good info. And to add to that, not only have sales been dropping, but everyone else- Marvel, Image, and the indie section in general- have been expanding.

So sales-wise, they're near pre reboot level, around when Brightest Day was their big thing, but proportionally, they're further behind than they were then.

And '06-07 were really good years, weren't they? Infinite Crisis, 52.... 52 alone has got to make up a big chunk of that. Then you get the huge falloff in '08 as Countdown, and similar take center stage and the decline that lead to the reboot.

I am pretty curious what changed at that point, it felt like two different creative directions.

Most of DC's smaller, obscure characters have never sold all that well in the past. I don't expect Terry to be any different.

Well, exactly. If you're doing a big relaunch where a limited amount of titles is a thing, any smaller character seems odd to me, unless they're grouped together or given some other hook to boost sales.

Zack M
Yeah, thanks to constant relaunching and Star Wars, not to mention Secret Wars. Without that, Marvel is only doing slightly better. Sales has been dropping for Marvel titles, though as with the Bleedingcool article that was posted earlier this month.

Q99
Yeah, thanks to constant relaunching and Star Wars, not to mention Secret Wars. Without that, Marvel is only doing slightly better. Sales has been dropping for Marvel titles, though as with the Bleedingcool article that was posted earlier this month.

But they do have that super-selling line, that high selling event, and they've shown the 'seasonal relaunch' method works pretty well long-term or at least medium term, I think it's been their model for something like 6 years now. So I think 'without that,' is being a bit ungenerous.

I mean, DC changed directions massively with a lot of their books mid-run when the creative team changed, doing re-launches then frankly would've made sense.

Zack M
But their sales did dip in 2014, which is probably why they did the whole relaunching last year. Supposedly it pissed a bunch of people off and the reason why the sales go right back down to what they once were. The same thing will probably happen a few months after Rebirth.

Q99
But their sales did dip in 2014, which is probably why they did the whole relaunching last year. Supposedly it pissed a bunch of people off and the reason why the sales go right back down to what they once were. The same thing will probably happen a few months after Rebirth.

Marvel's got a history of rolling status quo- and doing Secret Wars instead of another one of those was probably a bit of a mistake. Still, going back to where they were is not nearly as big a problem as DC going back to their lower sales.

Zack M
Originally posted by Q99
Marvel's got a history of rolling status quo- and doing Secret Wars instead of another one of those was probably a bit of a mistake. Still, going back to where they were is not nearly as big a problem as DC going back to their lower sales.

I think that's why they lose readers. Most people that i speak with are tired of the constant events. And now it's going to be CW part 2. I'm glad I didn't read most of SW. It was, for the most part, garbage.

Q99
I think that's why they lose readers. Most people that i speak with are tired of the constant events. And now it's going to be CW part 2. I'm glad I didn't read most of SW. It was, for the most part, garbage.

The thing is, while readers do suffer some event fatigue... the event era in general has been quite successful. I don't think so much for the events themselves, but the 'have a new status quo that lasts a year to two years, then change it,' is a good way to both retain continuity and keep things fresh.

And Marvel's usually pretty good at having some comics out of any particular event.

Khazra Reborn
What do you guys think about The Killing Joke "retcon".

-Pr-
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
What do you guys think about The Killing Joke "retcon".

What happened?

Philosophía
What do you guys think about The Killing Joke "retcon". As with everything that goes on in comics, rabid feminists' pressure eventually got to even the best of stories.

Originally posted by -Pr-
What happened? They retconned it as false memories implaneted by a villain, afaik. I haven't read the comic.

One Big Mob
laughing out loud

What a worthless thing to write

-Pr-

Philosophía
...A part of me really wants to rant about such an anti-woman, sexist decision, but surely it isn't as bad as I think it is.

Tell me it isn't? It is as bad as you think.

This is the Batgirl artist's twitter:
https://twitter.com/babsdraws

Her name is Babs Tarr.
As you guessed, she's a woman.

This is the first thing she posted after the comic was released:
http://i.imgur.com/vfUWw06.png

People really don't realise the magnitude of what is happening right now.

The SJWs are literally taking control of what should and should not count and be written/drawn.

-Pr-

Khazra Reborn
The writer kind of left it a little open ended according to his Twitter. But I haven't read the comic either. So it may not be entirely retconned, I guess.

But, just the idea of retconning a legendary comic like that just because SJWs don't like it is absolutely infuriating.

-Pr-
The writer kind of left it a little open ended according to his Twitter. But I haven't read the comic either. So it may not be entirely retconned, I guess.

But, just the idea of retconning a legendary comic like that just because SJWs don't like it is absolutely infuriating.

It's ****ing stupid as well.

She has one of the best "overcoming adversity" arcs of any female character in comics. Not to mention how far DC pushed the envelope with the original story (which had stuff cut from it because the original intent was far more graphic).

It's a seminal book in both Batman and comics, and to have them remove it like this... FFS.

I at least hope this doesn't hurt the development of the movie.

Galan007
http://i.imgur.com/BmvmpcK.jpg

Whole scene:
http://i.imgur.com/HPbDEJX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jvqSvo1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dTVFvV5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DJu25Er.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LsqztxS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LcFakl3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Ek88b63.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7YRpTXt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1eMfgzn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YVa67vJ.jpg

-Pr-
Wait... It got only a couple of panels?

Galan007
The Killing Joke itself? Yep.

At least it got a few panels, though. They retconned COIE off-panel, ffs.

-Pr-
The Killing Joke itself? Yep.

At least it got a few panels, though. They retconned COIE off-panel, ffs.

I heard about that, but didn't see it.

It's almost a shame these companies are making bank from such awful shit.

Galan007
Green Lantern and Justice League are the only books from DC I read these days--and I'll likely drop the latter once the Darkseid/AM plot has concluded. I only read the Star Wars titles from Marvel. Back when the big two were good, I read a bunch of titles from each of them... Real shame what a nosedive they've taken.

All of my other comic book intake these days comes from Indie titles. They've always been of superior quality, but that has become even more apparent these past months with all the shit Marvel/DC are cranking out.

-Pr-
Green Lantern and Justice League are the only books from DC I read these days--and I'll likely drop the latter once the Darkseid/AM plot has concluded. I only read the Star Wars titles from Marvel. Back when the big two were good, I read a bunch of titles from each of them... Real shame what a nosedive they've taken.

All of my other comic book intake these days comes from Indie titles. They've always been of superior quality, but that has become even more apparent these past months with all the shit Marvel/DC are cranking out.

For about the first two years after the reboot, I read AT LEAST a dozen books per month in DC (possibly twice that). I didn't read a lot of Marvel because of their insistence on doing to the X-Men what Lucas and Spielberg did to Indiana Jones, but I did enjoy a few books, mainly anything with Hawkeye in it or some Thor/Iron Man stuff.

Right now? Not one comic bar anything Colossus is in for the respect thread I'm working on. I'm actually getting to the stage where my apathy has reached such a height that I use my own headcanon more than I do the comics. I know it's arrogant to think "I could do better", but **** it, I'm not a bad writer. I'm good at humanising and dialogue. I could do better. **** those ****ers.

One Big Mob
I agree with Paul on all fronts. I don't even read comics anymore. Not even old ones. Though this Infinity Entity looks decent and I'm curious about Surfer vs Earth or whatever so I'll check that out.

Also about the writing too. I could write way better as well, and to please the sjws, it would be at the minimum of 3.2 times as gay. Everyone would win there.
Aren't they literally hiring tumblr artists and writers now?

-Pr-
Originally posted by One Big Mob
I agree with Paul on all fronts. I don't even read comics anymore. Not even old ones. Though this Infinity Entity looks decent and I'm curious about Surfer vs Earth or whatever so I'll check that out.

Also about the writing too. I could write way better as well, and to please the sjws, it would be at the minimum of 3.2 times as gay. Everyone would win there.

Are they? Jesus. I know Tumblr does have a lot of talented people on there, but I doubt those are the people they're going for.

SquallX

I personally have no problem with Gays, trans, or whatever the hell you see yourselves as, it's your body, why the hell should i care. But at the same time
no one should ever write, or create anything to please a demographic based on just said demographic feelings.

I personally think by doing that, you're tainting your own vision.

Khazra Reborn
I don't care what people do either, I'm just sick of everyone b*tching about absolutely everything.

If all these social minority groups would just stfu and stop phucking with everything I enjoy, I wouldn't give a shit.

Galan007

Aren't they literally hiring tumblr artists and writers now? I'm really surprised you don't read books like Spawn and Invincible. They seem like they'd be right up your alley.

Q99
Originally posted by SquallX
I personally have no problem with Gays, trans, or whatever the hell you see yourselves as, it's your body, why the hell should i care. But at the same time
no one should ever write, or create anything to please a demographic based on just said demographic feelings.

I personally think by doing that, you're tainting your own vision.

I'll add that making more characters white because it's the 'default' and/or because people are complaining about 'pandering' would, itself, be to please a demographic (a loud and complain-y demographic).

One of the things about a story is, everyone's aspects are consciously decided. Whether or not in the story they 'just happen' to be something, in the creation progress it's always because someone decided one way or another.

And the companies of course, have to think about business, because making more popular stories makes them money money to write more stories, hire better writers and artists, etc..

Ironically, a lot of the anti-SJW people are just... people loudly demanding to be pandered to, like you can see here:

I don't care what people do either, I'm just sick of everyone b*tching about absolutely everything.

If all these social minority groups would just stfu and stop phucking with everything I enjoy, I wouldn't give a shit.

Case in point. Why should you and your demographic be pandered to, when other people like other stuff? And are you not, indeed, one of the people b*tching and not 'stfu'ing?

Straight characters are still, by far, the most represented group in comics. You're not going to run out of stuff you like because stuff other people like gets to exist too. They could make every new character LGBT for several years and still be a small minority.

I think tumblr has tens of millions of people....? Think about that.

Also I'll note a lot of tumblr stereotypes are... exaggerated in their commonness. A lot of it is just people sharing art or fandom stuff.

Here's a post how most sonic artists right now are former fanartists (on one said artist's tumblr account).

Sarah Stone of Transformers is an artist recruited from tumblr (an interior panel). Just look at that fantastic work!

If tumblr was around back in the day, I bet Frank Cho, Adam Warren, and tons of others would post there too.

Basically, the 'SJW/Tumblr folk are ruining everything' is much ado about nothing, IMO. Most of the complains can be applied to the complainers even more than who they're complaining about.

Everyone wants more stuff directed at them, that's natural, and it's kinda silly to be outraged about someone wanting more comics they like, whoever they are. If there was a sudden influx of comics for the 70+ year old crowd, you'd get people complaining about "geriatrics ruining everything" even if it still made a tiny percent of the whole.

Zack M
Fantastic news. Midnighter is easily one of the best books on the stands and Future Quest looks gorgeous.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/steve-orlando-doc-shaner-and-jesus-merino-sign-exclusive-contracts-with-dc-comics

StiltmanFTW

Surprised it took you so long.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Q99
I'll add that making more characters white because it's the 'default' and/or because people are complaining about 'pandering' would, itself, be to please a demographic (a loud and complain-y demographic).

One of the things about a story is, everyone's aspects are consciously decided. Whether or not in the story they 'just happen' to be something, in the creation progress it's always because someone decided one way or another.

And the companies of course, have to think about business, because making more popular stories makes them money money to write more stories, hire better writers and artists, etc..

Ironically, a lot of the anti-SJW people are just... people loudly demanding to be pandered to, like you can see here:

Case in point. Why should you and your demographic be pandered to, when other people like other stuff? And are you not, indeed, one of the people b*tching and not 'stfu'ing?

Straight characters are still, by far, the most represented group in comics. You're not going to run out of stuff you like because stuff other people like gets to exist too. They could make every new character LGBT for several years and still be a small minority.

I think tumblr has tens of millions of people....? Think about that.

Also I'll note a lot of tumblr stereotypes are... exaggerated in their commonness. A lot of it is just people sharing art or fandom stuff.

Here's a post how most sonic artists right now are former fanartists (on one said artist's tumblr account).

Sarah Stone of Transformers is an artist recruited from tumblr (an interior panel). Just look at that fantastic work!

If tumblr was around back in the day, I bet Frank Cho, Adam Warren, and tons of others would post there too.

Basically, the 'SJW/Tumblr folk are ruining everything' is much ado about nothing, IMO. Most of the complains can be applied to the complainers even more than who they're complaining about.

Everyone wants more stuff directed at them, that's natural, and it's kinda silly to be outraged about someone wanting more comics they like, whoever they are. If there was a sudden influx of comics for the 70+ year old crowd, you'd get people complaining about "geriatrics ruining everything" even if it still made a tiny percent of the whole.

Not really sure what you said is relevant to my post, tbh.

leonidas
laughing out loud

Q99
Not really sure what you said is relevant to my post, tbh.

You said you didn't think tumblr people were the type of people they were going for then I posted a number of tumblr-based artists and showed how normal it is?

I'm not sure what you've having trouble with here.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Q99
You said you didn't think tumblr people were the type of people they were going for then I posted a number of tumblr-based artists and showed how normal it is?

I'm not sure what you've having trouble with here.

That's not what I said. I said they weren't looking for a certain type of tumblr user.

If I seemed vague, that's my bad.

Q99
That's not what I said. I said they weren't looking for a certain type of tumblr user.

If I seemed vague, that's my bad.

Ah, yea, I did misread you a bit.

One Big Mob
I'm really surprised you don't read books like Spawn and Invincible. They seem like they'd be right up your alley. I did read Spawn but I sort of gave up. Never read Invincible, just seen scans.

Spawn however I was thinking of going back to. And the Walking Dead. That's about all I have planned besides the odd cosmic story.

Also a q99 post! There's about 8 things it could be about:
Marvel rocks
DC sucks
Women rock
Men suck
Diversities rock
Being white sucks
Gay people rock
Straight people suck

Bonus round is defending tumblr.

*cue defense while missing point*

-Pr-
Originally posted by Q99
Ah, yea, I did misread you a bit.

Cool, no worries.

Zack M
Jonathan Hickman on a DC title??

Zack M
Wow, some awesome creator news this weekend. Christopher Priest on Deathstroke! Gene on New Superman (think Batman Inc.), Seeley in Nightwing, Tom King on Batman, Snyder on All Star Batman, Greg Rucka on Wonder Woman, Giffen on Blue Beetle, etc... a pot of interesting stuff.

Kazenji
Teaser art reveled for this, Out on the net.

Zack M
Yeah, I wonder who's hand is that...
http://i68.tinypic.com/a9we8w.jpg

Kenji Kong, the New Superman from China. Glad Gene got a book where he can do his own thing. His Superman never really worked, IMO.
http://i63.tinypic.com/30hy255.jpg

Priest's Deathstroke should be great.
http://i67.tinypic.com/f351ll.jpg

Detective Comics looks great with Cassandra Cain, Batwoman, and Spoiler. Love the new team.
http://i68.tinypic.com/mlmhrk.jpg

Godspeed, new Flash villain
http://i64.tinypic.com/2rge3kp.jpg

Zack M
Lex Luthor as Super Man
http://i68.tinypic.com/21opu0h.jpg

Simon Oliver on Constantine.
http://i68.tinypic.com/2lifz9t.jpg

Superman's Son and Batman's son in Super Sons.
http://i64.tinypic.com/35kj4ep.jpg

Rucka back on Wonder Woman.
http://i68.tinypic.com/4pw7e9.jpg

vansonbee
The Chinese Super man and the rest of the teasers look great! I'm guessing Super son's comic is in an alternate reality? God speed design looks legit as a super hero, but he's a villain?

Prof. T.C McAbe
Why can't the companies produce just good stories and need to reboot every 5 years to get some attention. Most of the reboots could be just alt reality stories...

Kazenji
^ Its only DC doing the reboots.

Zack M
It's not a reboot, though.

Galan007
Kenji Kong, the New Superman from China. laughing out loud

Khazra Reborn
What's going on with NU Clark Kent? I heard pre-boot Clark is getting his own book, and I guess some Chinese dude is now too..?

Zack M
What's going on with NU Clark Kent? I heard pre-boot Clark is getting his own book, and I guess some Chinese dude is now too..?

DCnU is staying, but supposedly Action Comics will feature Pre-Flashpoint Superman. I'm assuming the new Chinese Superman will be from Super League, because Superman discovers a hero in China.

Khazra Reborn
DCnU is staying, but supposedly Action Comics will feature Pre-Flashpoint Superman. I'm assuming the new Chinese Superman will be from Super League, because Superman discovers a hero in China.

Is he going to have his own book anymore?

abhilegend
Most of those have me intrigued.

mmm

Juntai
ALL of the Super books feature Pre-52 Superman.
Guessing something happens to New 52 Superman in the rebirth special.

-Pr-
Jesus.

Zack M
I wonder who the threat is...

http://i64.tinypic.com/vdk6sl.jpg

krisblaze
Kenji - This is a Japanese name.

Good job DC!

Zack M
Looks like we'll get SHAZAM, JSA, Legion of Super-Heroes, New Gods during Rebirth.

http://www.newsarama.com/28578-dc-comics-rebirth-recap.html

Zack M
GJ explains the Four Chapters to Rebirth:

Zack M
Hmm... I'm thinking Zod.

Zack M
5 Big Mysteries:

Also, 3 big surprises:

Looks like we'll get a big reveal for the Joker and Rise of the Seven Seas.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/11/geoff-johns-3-big-surprises-from-dc-universe-rebirth-1/

Zack M
JSA is back.

http://i68.tinypic.com/16bcaq1.jpg

Dr. Matthew
Hellblazer is back

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/d60-600x344.png

Kazenji
I'll most likely just stick with getting Detective Comics & Superman

anything else i'll get it in trades.

One_Angry_Scot
A new teaser for Rebirth. So there will be another big threat that no one else expected.

http://i.imgur.com/vKBUB68.jpg1

I still really want to know whose that hand is in the far right.

Galan007
Maybe it's Superwoman and Alex Luthor's Christ-child. vin

Not that I plan on reading this, but how awesome would it be if they brought back Access for this event? Have him be the catalyst behind why the characters are 'rebirthing'. thumb up

BruceSkywalker
the big threat is Batman going evil and defeating the whole DCU embarrasment big grin

Zack M
Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
A new teaser for Rebirth. So there will be another big threat that no one else expected.

http://i.imgur.com/vKBUB68.jpg1

I still really want to know whose that hand is in the far right.

I hope it's not another Brainiac, Darkseid, Anti-Monitor, etc... Been used to death. I want someone new or a villain that is underused, which I think will happen. Knowing Johns. Can't wait for the event. GJ Darkseid War was pretty cool.

One_Angry_Scot
I hope it's not another Brainiac, Darkseid, Anti-Monitor, etc... Been used to death. I want someone new or a villain that is underused, which I think will happen. Knowing Johns. Can't wait for the event. GJ Darkseid War was pretty cool.

If it's an Anti-Monitor or Darkseid after Darkseid War then it would show a complete lack of imagination from DC.

At the same time though I'm not sure if they would create a new character or just use a already created villain that is less known (or hero gone bad).

kevdude
Well here's something else DC is changing with Rebirth, their logo is changing. Going back to the old look in a way.

http://www.newsarama.com/29326-dc-comics-unveils-new-retro-logo-to-debut-with-rebirth-1.html

Zack M
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/20/warning-dc-universe-rebirth-1-spoilers-leak-on-reddit-and-you-wont-believe-dc-comics-has-gone-there/

People are shocked, but I will wait until the issue comes out.

abhilegend

Digi
I'll give them this: people are incredibly hard to surprise/shock anymore. This will really do it, though.

BruceSkywalker

Darth Thor
So when's this out?

Zack M
Tomorrow. It's very good.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Darth Thor
So when's this out?

comes out tomorrow.. it looks good but I won't really know until after I buy the issue, then read it

Zack M
So whoever these forces that are affecting the DCU are more powerful than Zoom and Darkseid.

Kazenji
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
comes out tomorrow.. it looks good but I won't really know until after I buy the issue, then read it

They're even doing a midnight launch for the book.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kazenji
They're even doing a midnight launch for the book.

the issue was pretty good.. good seeing Wally back .. hopefully they won't make too many mistakes this time

leonidas
i'm pretty surprised there hasn't been more chatter about this book, and this event ingeneral.....

anyway, i thought the issue was good. i'm still unclear on what it's supposed to accomplish though.... it feels like the dcnu isn't being replaced by the previous incarnation, but rather it is being blended with the previous. i was sort of under the impression the 2 would co-exist--ie the pre-nu heroes all still existed, but were....somewhere else? iow i thought BOTH versions of the dcu would be shown to exist. now it seems the dcnu IS the previous version, only altered. but stealing 10 years? stealing away some relationships? that was enough to cause all the changes we saw??

i dunno, feels like a massive stretch....

and looking at some of the new rebirth books coming out only confuses me even more. and if this IS the previous universe, only altered, then how exactly are the watchmen a part of things now?

not sure what marvel and dc are doing lately--what ever happened to stories people could actually understand. this feels a bit like a convoluted disaster. i confess to really enjoying some of the characters though, and will keep my fingers crossed that this whole thing works out, somehow, in some coherent way, as it goes along.....

Impediment
So does this mean that the Watchmen characters are being introduced into the DCU as mainstream characters?

Galan007
Originally posted by Impediment
So does this mean that the Watchmen characters are being introduced into the DCU as mainstream characters? If issue #1 is any indication, then it certainly seems that way.

Impediment
I can't wait to see what happens next.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Impediment
I can't wait to see what happens next.

Batman beating up everybody big grin

Zack M
I can't wait for Tom King's Batman and Christopher Priest's Deathstorke. Among other runs like BOP, Batgirl, and Nightwing. Williams on Flash looks awesome, too.

Galan007
So I was just looking at this preview page, which features "The Hand of Rebirth"(supposedly Doctor Manhattan's hand) in the upper-left corner:
http://s6d8.turboimg.net/t1/27691412_539269.jpg

But when I started looking closer, it almost looks like a gloved hand to me:
http://s33.postimg.org/rm1ixzytb/Untitled.jpg

...If so, that wouldn't really be consistent with the 'classic' Dr. M we all know and love.

Thoughts?

AlmightyKfish
Could be Ozy?

I mean it's almost certain he'll be involved somehow.

Galan007
Ozy is also gloveless, and has distinct wrist-gear:
http://s33.postimg.org/4g75f2v0f/20160605_104207.jpg

...Though it's entirely possible that Johns retooled the costumes as well. /shrug

Zack M
Green Arrow Rebirth sold over 90,000 copies. One of the highest selling in recent history. It's still early, but Rebirth has been solid so far.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-green-arrow-rebirth-1-sells-over-90000-copies

Zack M
BTW, some speculate that MR. OZ is actually Ozymandias.

http://www.newsarama.com/29475-dcu-rebirth-fallout-is-the-mr-oz-who-s-been-watching-superman-ozymandias.html

Kazenji
If that's true then why isn't he a blue man?

Galan007

http://www.newsarama.com/29475-dcu-rebirth-fallout-is-the-mr-oz-who-s-been-watching-superman-ozymandias.html Yeah, I saw that a few days ago--I'd be surprised if it wasn't him, honestly. Looking back at it now, Johns certainly laid out quite a few subtle Watchmen-esque clues that didn't mean shit a year ago, so nobody really caught on. However, those clues certainly mean a hell of a lot now. thumb up

Originally posted by Kazenji
If that's true then why isn't he a blue man? Because Dr. Manhattan is the blue guy.

Zack M
So, will Ozymandias be the Dr. Doom of the DCU?

Zack M
And if Hickman writes for the DCU (Even if it's only one title), will he write Ozymandias? That would be a dream come true.

Galan007
And if Hickman writes for the DCU (Even if it's only one title), will he write Ozymandias? That would be a dream come true. Couldn't agree more. thumb up

leonidas
i've never been a huge watchmen fan. i liked the series well enough, but i didn't see it as this huge game-changer it's been made to be. if ozy becomes this...uber guy, i'd be a bit disappointed tbh. it would seem to go very much away from what his original intent was. at least imo. that's my whole problem with making the watchmen into more than they were--they were cool BECAUSE they were 'real life' style heroes, not universe busters and creators. they feel like they're just going to be turned into more of the same. and that would be unfortunate imo.

as regards the first group of books--i liked them well enough. the superman arc will be interesting. the doomsday superman is pretty classic, obviously but i'm still not sure exactly how i feel about him sort of re-assuming the mantle i guess. he seemed the lesser of the supermen, though he really shouldn't have been so it will be interesting to see how it goes. i thought the lanterns was ok--but really, ANOTHER guardian, with ANOTHER ring??? wtf?? is this a rainbow ring? seems pretty....unoriginal. i liked green arrow and thought bats was the best of the bunch. looking forward to the others coming out.

Galan007
Originally posted by leonidas
i've never been a huge watchmen fan. i liked the series well enough, but i didn't see it as this huge game-changer it's been made to be. if ozy becomes this...uber guy, i'd be a bit disappointed tbh. it would seem to go very much away from what his original intent was. at least imo. that's my whole problem with making the watchmen into more than they were--they were cool BECAUSE they were 'real life' style heroes, not universe busters and creators. they feel like they're just going to be turned into more of the same. and that would be unfortunate imo. I am also not a huge fan of the original story as a whole(especially that random world-ending alien octopus thing at the end..Da fuk?), but I have always loved Dr. Manhattan's characterization. I enjoyed not only seeing how a regular human would cope with suddenly gaining nigh-omnipotence, but also seeing him slowly lose touch with humanity. Loved that aspect of the character/story, at least(it was done just as well in Before Watchmen, imo.)

Gotta say, though: given Johns' penchant for taking obscure characters and cranking them up to the nth degree, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Ozy ends up being some type of Doom-analogue who has been masterminding all of the DCU's current shenanigans... Or if Manhattan has become some type of Supreme Being-analogue over the DCU.

Hope that doesn't end up being the case, because it would really cheapen the characters for me.

Digi
You guys are absolutely right. I used to cringe at debates with Watchmen characters in the vs. forum for the exact same reasons. I felt like it was missing the point to think about them that way.

BUT.

I just don't care enough anymore. I'm kinda tickled by the whole thing, because it has the air of a fanboy fever dream. They know their demographics. Sales will probably wane again in a year once they inevitably f*ck this reboot up. But fans will eat up this particular arc like pudding.

leonidas
can't say you're about any of that....

Galan007
Digi has become a hollow shade of the man you once knew... stick out tongue

Galan007

http://www.newsarama.com/29475-dcu-rebirth-fallout-is-the-mr-oz-who-s-been-watching-superman-ozymandias.html Well, "Mr. Oz" can be seen watching the battle between Superman and Luthor in today's issue of Action Comics:
http://s33.postimg.org/5hjcf7qb3/Action_Comics_2016_957_020.jpg

Like I said earlier: I'd be more surprised if he doesn't end up being Ozy.

leonidas

meant to say he wasn't WRONG about any of that...

but yeah, he's still hollower than sh!t. thumb up

action looks interesting. you like the direction of the retro superman? you like the other rebirth books so far? the lantern one, seriously, i was like WTFack??? ANOTHER coloured ring?? maybe i'm wrong but seemed to head that way....

Galan007
I'm not a fan of the event so far, but I'll at least follow the main series to see how it ends. It's basically like watching a car crash at this point... I just can't look away. Hopefully it ends up being good, though. thumb up

The GL shit is ridiculous. What is it? A f*cking rainbow ring? Give it a rest, Geoff. thumb down

Zack M
Geoff is writing any more comics, at least at the moment.

Detective was friggen awesome. So nice to see Cassandra Cain back.

Kazenji

Because Dr. Manhattan is the blue guy.

More like the black guy if that theory is true.

Zack M
Mr. Oz had another appearance today in Action Comics.

http://i63.tinypic.com/t6cpi0.jpg

Kazenji
^....lol Galan posted that above.

roughrider
What's with the 3rd new DC logo in 10+ years? The new one in the mid 2000's was fine. The one following Flashpoint in 2011 was all right (never liked the peeling decal effect) now this one just looks clunky and too retro.

Zack M
Originally posted by roughrider
What's with the 3rd new DC logo in 10+ years? The new one in the mid 2000's was fine. The one following Flashpoint in 2011 was all right (never liked the peeling decal effect) now this one just looks clunky and too retro.

That's the point. DC is going back to it's roots and it's only for the Rebirth line, IIRC.

roughrider
That's the point. DC is going back to it's roots and it's only for the Rebirth line, IIRC.

So it's temporary until the next reboot? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Zack M
Originally posted by roughrider
So it's temporary until the next reboot? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Rebirth isn't a reboot.

Digi

mad

meant to say he wasn't WRONG about any of that...

but yeah, he's still hollower than sh!t. thumb up

laughing out loud

no expression

Zack M
Wildstorm Rebirth? I hope so.

http://i67.tinypic.com/250uvsj.jpg

leonidas
i liked the second rd of rebirth books for the most part. aquaman was quite good i thought--little disappointing that manta is the big bad AGAIN, but seems like it could be solid. some good artwork.

i really like the way the ww book addressed her silly, convoluted history head on (aquaman did that as well) and looks to be ready to straighten some sh!t out. should be interesting to follow.

i liked action--the retro superman may turn out to be solid, though not sure how i feel about the whole 'family' thing. the appearance of another clark kent was intriguing though.

i also liked the flash book. that seems like it will be pretty solid as well. overall i gotta say i'm mostly enjoying the new stuff.

Zack M
Yeah, I just read Flash, and it quite good. Very interested in the new villain.

Doctor Manhattan sounds like he'll be showing up in Titans.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/dan-abnett-and-brett-booth-talk-wally-west-and-bri/1100-155653/

Zack M
What are your thoughts on this weeks books? I thought King's Batman was very good. Interested in seeing where Gotham and Gotham Girl go.

leonidas
which ones? i think batman was excellent. snyder is one of my favourite writers in comics so i'm really looking forward to it. despite the b!tching in the forum i've been pretty pleased with how the new rebirth books have turned out so far.

Zack M
Nah, the King issue that came out this week. Where it introduces Gotham and Gotham Girl.

Zack M
Snyder is doing All-Star Batman, I think.

leonidas
batman rebirth was snyder and king too....

Zack M
batman rebirth was snyder and king too....

I'm just talking about this weeks issue.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/batman-1-dc-comics-2016

Kazenji
Seen that there's already an event starting with the Batman books

Rebirth. "Night of the Monster Men"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dcs-first-rebirth-crossover-event-arrives-in-batman-7

leonidas
yeah, i'm looking forward to reading both. thumb up

Galan007
Mr. Oz is still playing his behind-the-scenes role in Action Comics:

https://s32.postimg.org/h3qpj5fk5/Action_Comics_2016_958_006.jpg

https://s32.postimg.org/y5jjl8uf9/Action_Comics_2016_958_021.jpg

leonidas
i meant to ask--did anyone read batman/tmnt? i liked it. lol batman eating pizza in the batcave? what's not to love. thought they did a good job of respecting both sets of characters and villains. thumb up

Galan007
Just read AC #959.

At this point it almost seems like Mr. Oz is running Superman through these hero-building scenarios(in this case, the battle with Doomsday) to better prepare him for events to come... mmm

BruceSkywalker
Just read AC #959.

At this point it almost seems like Mr. Oz is running Superman through these hero-building scenarios(in this case, the battle with Doomsday) to better prepare him for events to come... mmm

will you read Nightwing or Titans Rebirth?

Galan007
Not unless I hear they're really good.

Zack M
Hawkman and Adam Strange in a new mini.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/hawkman-and-adam-strange-blastoff-into-their-own-m/1100-155831/

BruceSkywalker
Not unless I hear they're really good.

I can vouch for Nightwing stick out tongue big grin , titans Rebirth, I have but haven't read yet

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>