United States' Nuclear Modernization Effort

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

|King Joker|

Surtur
I don't see the problem with modernizing them. I mean are these new nukes going to be packing a payload substantially superior to the ones we normally have? If the answer to that question is "no" then meh.

But wait on the other hand..I'd wonder if that money could be better spent on shit we actually need? We spend far too much money on the military or shit for the military. Meanwhile our health care is a steaming pile of shit.

Newjak
Personally I would want to keep our Nuclear arsenal on the back self. Although some good can come from this. Like was mentioned in the article some of our technology regarding our Nuclear system is pretty outlandishly outdated. Upgrading those systems could be an improvement to helping make sure those resources are secure and not able to be accidentally used.

Still I wish these things could stop being so important.

Bardock42
It would make sense to drastically reduce it, yet modernize the ones you keep and keep them well maintained.

1Y1ya-yF35g

Omega Vision
I'm not concerned with Russia, Putin's idiotic gambling will probably leave that country bankrupt and crumbling in 20 years. I'm concerned with China.

So far China has been satisfied to not have MAD with the USA, but rather to maintain just enough of a deterrent to make nuclear war undesirable, but I can see a scenario where US spending on nuclear modernization worries China enough that they feel like they need to play catch up.

Astner

Surtur
I sometimes think that for Putin the cold war never really ended.

Though yep, this is a lot of money when we need it for other things.

jaden101
Originally posted by Bardock42
It would make sense to drastically reduce it, yet modernize the ones you keep and keep them well maintained.

1Y1ya-yF35g

laughing

And here was me thinking the state of the UK'S trident fleet was unique.
https://wikileaks.org/trident-safety/

|King Joker|
Russia's nuclear hunter of aircraft carriers to get hypersonic cruise missiles by 2022: https://www.rt.com/news/333441-zircon-hypersonic-cruise-missile/

S_W_LeGenD
If the Americans want to maintain the status-quo (i.e. superpower) in the years to come, then this investment is necessary.

You cannot remain a superpower without investing in the critical areas of national security from time to time.

Surtur
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
If the Americans want to maintain the status-quo (i.e. superpower) in the years to come, then this investment is necessary.

You cannot remain a superpower without investing in the critical areas of national security from time to time.

I agree with you, but the problem is we do not follow your "from time to time" stipulation. We're always putting shitloads of money into the military and various weapons.

Omega Vision
Instead of spending a trillion dollars, why don't we just spend an incredibly low amount like $150 million and force our engineers to get creative.

If you're dropping a trillion dollars, you'd better be building a city on Mars. Anything else is overspending.

Surtur
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Instead of spending a trillion dollars, why don't we just spend an incredibly low amount like $150 million and force our engineers to get creative.

If you're dropping a trillion dollars, you'd better be building a city on Mars. Anything else is overspending.

We don't take kindly to logic round these here parts.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.