Ranking TV comic shows

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wakkawakkawakka
I think the tv viewing season has come along well enough to do a ranking system for the comic book/superhero shows currently airing. I'm not sure if there's a thread like this already made( I couldn't find one) but of all the comic book shows that are currently airing or have been finished for 5 years or less which ones are your favorite KMC poster folk. Or if none are you're favorite which shows do you ranking out of the ones currently airing.

For the criteria Netflix/Hulu/network tv shows are allowed so long as the source material from each of the shows originates from either a comic book or has a comic book tie-in.

So what are your picks?

Arachnid1
Daredevil >>>>>>> Flash >>> Walking Dead > Arrow > Smallville >> Jessica Jones >>>>>>>>>>>>Supergirl

Dreampanther
Do you mean American comic books, like DC and Marvel? What about anime and manga? What about animated TV shows?

No matter what, my favourite will still be Daredevil, but after that it really depends on your criteria.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Do you mean American comic books, like DC and Marvel? What about anime and manga? What about animated TV shows?

No matter what, my favourite will still be Daredevil, but after that it really depends on your criteria. You think DareDevil is better then Batman: TAS, or Justice League?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Daredevil >>>>>>> Flash >>> Walking Dead > Arrow > Smallville >> Jessica Jones >>>>>>>>>>>>Supergirl You forgot Gotham.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Jmanghan
You think DareDevil is better then Batman: TAS, or Justice League?

Yes. Not by a huge margin, but I like the fact that it was made for a more mature audience, a comic book show made by adults for adults.

wakkawakkawakka

I limited it to network tv stations and shows that ended 5 years ago or less though I should have specified live action in the OP. So that's what I'll do, the shows themselves don't have to be American but their source material does have to originate from either a comic or graphic novel of sorts.

Jmanghan
Yes. Not by a huge margin, but I like the fact that it was made for a more mature audience, a comic book show made by adults for adults. Thats really saying something, considering Batman:TAS may have been the best cartoon of all time.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Daredevil >>>>>>> Flash >>> Walking Dead > Arrow > Smallville >> Jessica Jones >>>>>>>>>>>>Supergirl
Smallville better than Jessica Jones? Really?

I haven't seen Arrow or Flash so I can't comment, but I don't think Smallville even belongs in the same category as JJ or Daredevil. And while we're on the subject, I think Daredevil and Jessica Jones are of similar quality. They're different shows, but I actually think that Jessica Jones had deeper/more interesting characters than Daredevil, although I'll give you that Daredevil by far had the better action sequences.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Smallville better than Jessica Jones? Really?

I haven't seen Arrow or Flash so I can't comment, but I don't think Smallville even belongs in the same category as JJ or Daredevil. And while we're on the subject, I think Daredevil and Jessica Jones are of similar quality. They're different shows, but I actually think that Jessica Jones had deeper/more interesting characters than Daredevil, although I'll give you that Daredevil by far had the better action sequences. I disagree. Jessica Jones wasn't all that deep IMO. Purple Man brought the best sequences, but even he didn't live up to what he could have been, and he died like an idiot. The best character in their entire show was Cage, and he was just there for the love arc. Jones was basically just a female Wolverine.

I prefer Daredevils story and Kingpins character arc throughout the season. And yes, Smallville was better than JJ IMO. It had some pretty bad lows, but it's highs were awesome. The Justice League and Justice Society episodes, and the best live action Lex Luthor and Oliver Queen portrayals to date carried it far.

Maybe the next season of JJ will bring it up, but for now, it was just alright.

Darth Thor
1. Walking Dead
2. The Flash
3. Daredevil
4. Smallville (lost its way completely in the end but back in its heyday was really enjoyable IMO).
5. Heroes (again completely lost its way but still had the best 1st season of any show ever).

Not sure if Heroes counts though as it was adapted as comic books after the show was out IIRC.

-Pr-
If we're going by current quality:

Daredevil - Just the best one going for me.
The Flash - Even with the CW crap, it still manages to be very good.
Jessica Jones - The main character hurts the show a little, but it's still very good.
Walking Dead - A bit slow at times, but when it's good, it's very good.
Agent Carter - Solid show.
DC Legends - Started weakly, but improving very quickly.
Arrow - Very much the weekly "let's shit on Oliver Queen" show nowadays.
Agents of Shield - Just not very good, imo, even with it's improvements.

lol Smallville.

juggernaut74
The Netflix shows are good but watching them I get the feeling they are very cheap.

Anybody else notice this?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by -Pr-

lol Smallville.

Hey I used to really enjoy Smallville. A lot more so when the Luthors were around.

ares834

wakkawakkawakka
Originally posted by juggernaut74
The Netflix shows are good but watching them I get the feeling they are very cheap.

Anybody else notice this?
Not as cheap as Supergirl IMO though considering the quality of storytelling the Netflix shows have I'm willing to ignore it.

Oh and I guess I should make a list here as well:
1. Daredevil
2. The Walking Dead
3. Flash
4. Agent Carter
5. Jessica Jones
6. Smallville

I'll wait for one more episodes of DC's Legends before deciding where it would go but Arrow's quality face-planting, AoS being inconsistent in episode quality, and Supergirl just not being very good at all I think I'll settle for these picks.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Hey I used to really enjoy Smallville. A lot more so when the Luthors were around.

I thought it was bad as a Superman show, personally. It did have good episodes though.

Better than Supergirl, at least.

Jmanghan
GOTHAM, HEY GUYS, GOTHAM? DID YOU HEAR ABOUT GOTHAM? THAT SHOW ABOUT A FICTIONAL DC COMIC BOOK CITY THAT INVOLVES FICTIONAL DC COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS?

Considering that its getting fantastic reviews, not sure why you're ignoring it.

Ridley_Prime
Gotham can be good for its characterization of Batman's rogue gallery in their earlier years (enjoyed the 1st season, waiting till the 2nd one's on netflix), but if you're not really into cop shows, it can get kinda boring easily. Not sure where I would rank it among the other current running comic shows.

Prolly gonna wait till some of the ones like Legends of Tomorrow have more episodes before making up my mind on a rate list.

marwash22
'Smallville' had a lot of shit at the end, but you're out of your mind if you put 'Arrow' over it. 'Arrow' has never come close to 'Smallville' at it's best.

marwash22
1. The Walking Dead
2. Daredevil
3. Smallville
4. The Flash
5. Jessica Jones

Darth Thor
GOTHAM, HEY GUYS, GOTHAM? DID YOU HEAR ABOUT GOTHAM? THAT SHOW ABOUT A FICTIONAL DC COMIC BOOK CITY THAT INVOLVES FICTIONAL DC COMIC BOOK CHARACTERS?

Considering that its getting fantastic reviews, not sure why you're ignoring it.

Well it's a top 5 list. Gotham's certainly one of those I tune into every week but just doesn't make it to my Top 5 in recent history.

wakkawakkawakka
I don't think I specified 5 in the OP, I apologize if I did, but rather shows that ended no more the 5 years ago as to include Smallville and the like.

Speaking of which I think Smallville should be broken up into two categories: Season 1-6 and Season 7-10. Thoughts?

Darth Thor
Oh right. Not sure where I got Top 5 from

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I don't think I specified 5 in the OP, I apologize if I did, but rather shows that ended no more the 5 years ago as to include Smallville and the like.

Speaking of which I think Smallville should be broken up into two categories: Season 1-6 and Season 7-10. Thoughts?
In that case, I think it'd be kinda fair to also break Arrow up between season 1-2 and shitty season 3 through the present.

Darth Thor
I think difference is Arrow just got shitty, and relatively quickly, for no apparent reason.

Whereas Smallville clearly suffered in it's latter seasons from the loss of the Luthors. It was also dragged on as a series for far too long.

wakkawakkawakka
Didn't some of the writers from Arrow move to work on Flash?

I guess I'll just keep Smallville where it is for not but its a shame its later season kind of bring the whole series down. In it prime it could fair well against the best of the comic shows IMO.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka

I guess I'll just keep Smallville where it is for not but its a shame its later season kind of bring the whole series down. In it prime it could fair well against the best of the comic shows IMO.

thumb up

The shows creators originally planned for it to last 5-6 seasons. So they just kept it around too long IMO.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Darth Thor
thumb up

The shows creators originally planned for it to last 5-6 seasons. So they just kept it around too long IMO. Supernatural Syndrome.

Jmanghan
Anyway, Gotham is better then Arrow.

Dreampanther
Anyway, Gotham is better then Arrow.

thumb up

Surtur
Yeah see Smallville did have a lot of shitty episodes. Just look at the episode where Pete gets stretchy powers from chewing kryptonite gum. But there are over 200 episodes and when the show was good it was really good. One of my favorite episodes is the one where Lex ends up in the insane asylum at the end.

When it comes to a shared universe I think the DCAU is the best. Far better then the animated Marvel universe as a whole. The Batman, Superman, JL, and JLU shows were good and some of them even a bit disturbing for a supposed "kids" show. Does anyone remember the episode from the Superman cartoon where Clark Kent is apparently "killed" with a car bomb?

carthage
Daredevil is so far above any current DCU live action shows it's hilarious. In four episodes Into Flash and seen all of season 1 Supergirl, the acting, writing, actor chemistry, just seems so far above what DC is doing to me at least

I plan on at least trying to watch Smallville, at least after I finish the X files and Star Trek TNG

Surtur
Remember though shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones are a lot different from normal super hero tv shows.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by carthage
Daredevil is so far above any current DCU live action shows it's hilarious. In four episodes Into Flash and seen all of season 1 Supergirl, the acting, writing, actor chemistry, just seems so far above what DC is doing to me at least

I plan on at least trying to watch Smallville, at least after I finish the X files and Star Trek TNG Smallville hasn't aged super well, but there are some real gems throughout if you stick with it. Watch up till Lex leaves the show. Anything else is meh besides the JLA and JSA episodes.

Flash almost gives Daredevil a run for its money, seriously. Get more into it. It's easily second place with both it and DD being far above the opposition.

Surtur
Yeah Flash gets a lot better as it goes on in the first season. Definitely just watching 3-4 episodes isn't enough to judge it. DC is finally beginning to build a respectable live action tv universe.

Also I will take the JLU series over any Marvel show, animated or not, any day.

Darth Thor
Yeah and remember Daredevil is a mini series, whereas Flash is a 22 episode season, so naturally has a lot of "filler" episodes. But the episodes which focus on the main plot are gems. And that S1 finale was fantastic.

Flash and Daredevil are both hilariously above the competition. But comparing Flash to Daredevil is like comparing Avengers to TDK. Both the best in their genre/medium but very different to compare, with one much more super powered fun/comic booky and the other much more gritty and feeling like its based in the "real" world.

wakkawakkawakka
Idk maybe Daredevil and Flash may be comparable as the former is attached to the rest of the MCU and the Flash managed to entertain me more than Jessica Jones which was another Netflix show.

Was kind of expecting Gotham and Supergirl to be the "Smallville" shows for their respective brands in quality/presentation but that didn't happen unfortunately.

Ridley_Prime
The acting and stuff for Flash isn't really better than the other current DC shows, but with the things it has to compensate along with easily having the least problems out of its CW kin, it wins by default there. Though I still find it difficult to fairly compare any of that to something like Daredevil; different comic shows for different audiences, but I've enjoyed them all mostly, some for different reasons than others.

Dreampanther
For me:

1. Daredevil (by far)
2. Jessica Jones (mainly for David Tennant)
3. Gotham (for the writing and the characters). I love Gotham and never made the mistake of wanting it to be something it's not, which seems to be the main complaint.
4. Flash. At least it tries to have some fun in between the drama.
5. SHIELD. Close tie between Shield and Arrow, but lately Arrow has just become one long endless drama, interspersed with action scenes that are too obviously rehearsed.
6. Arrow (At least it's not Agent Carter).

I never watched Smallvile, so I can't really comment on it. I did enjoy the episodes with Impulse and Aquaman, but just couldn't get into the series.

tkitna
1. Daredevil - The mark in which all other comic shows strive to reach.
2. Jessica Jones - I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as good as DD
3. Agent Carter - The acting is top notch and its just a good show
4. The Walking Dead - Its great one week and sucks the next. Wish it were more consistent.
5. Gotham - I like this show and think they do a great job with their take on the characters.
6. Agents Of Shield - Marvels vehicle for introducing upcoming properties. Show could be awesome, but fails at doing the small things. The story telling is confusing and weak and they ought to name drop some Marvel characters once in awhile or at least have some guest appearances by some A listers.
7. Arrow - I like the characters, but admit the show falls into the cheesy soap opera areas at times.
8. Flash - Better story telling than Arrow, but I don't like all of the characters. I hate Wells for some reason.
9. Supergirl - Cheesy like Arrow and Flash, but I have a soft spot for it for some odd reason. I enjoy the show and don't take it seriously.
10. Legends Of Tomorrow - Just a ton of characters that I don't care about. The usual cheese, but watching it does make the work night go by a little faster.

Flyattractor
Anybody remember this Comic Book TV show CLASSIC?

kbVoKgxenk0

marwash22
the only Nightman i'm familiar with is the one who fights the Dayman, who happens to be the champion of karate and friendship for everyone.

-Pr-

It's quite average, imo. And the first season started off kind of weak.

Originally posted by marwash22
'Smallville' had a lot of shit at the end, but you're out of your mind if you put 'Arrow' over it. 'Arrow' has never come close to 'Smallville' at it's best.

In the early seasons I would argue Arrow was consistently better than Smallville, tbh.

the only Nightman i'm familiar with is the one who fights the Dayman, who happens to be the champion of karate and friendship for everyone.

thumb up

Flyattractor

This show falls into the catergorey of the So BAD its Good. That and it was only made to push the Dodge Prowler that came out.

The comic was hilarious. Somebody really thought it was going to be their companies Batman.

Surtur
See I actually don't want comic book shows to strive for DD type stuff. I feel like for me a lot of the characters I'd enjoy seeing in a show wouldn't really work in that type of show. I don't want The Flash to be like DD.

I liked Jessica Jones, but it essentially felt almost like a cop show but with a bit of super powers thrown in.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by -Pr-
It's quite average, imo. And the first season started off kind of weak.

In the early seasons I would argue Arrow was consistently better than Smallville, tbh.

thumb up

Smallville had the best fight scenes, imo.

They felt like real Superman fight scenes in live action.

staxamillion

smallville last couple of seasons ruined it way worse. Arrow still hasn't gotten as low as smallville has and I think Arrow is better already IMO.

better action
better story

Darth Thor
Nah Smallville >>> Arrow despite how shitty Smallville's last season was.

The first 2 seasons of Arrow were great though. But it just went down the toilet during the 3rd.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.