How big was Lion King when it came out

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

timheyd
I have been thinking about Lion King a lot recently and i have questions about just how popular it was compared to something like Frozen. Like were kids raving about it and singing all the songs at school?. Was it almost impossible to hear about it in some capacity? I mean just how BIG was the Lion King

Jmanghan
It was bigger then Frozen, a lot bigger.

Kazenji
And they ripped off Kimba the white lion.

Esau Cairn
It's kinda sad to think Frozen made an impact on some people's lives.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Jmanghan
It was bigger then Frozen, a lot bigger.
Frozen sold more overall if I recall right, but I'd still say LK was somewhere as big during its time.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Frozen sold more overall if I recall right, but I'd still say LK was somewhere as big during its time. Frozen didn't resonate as well.

Lion King is imprinted on our culture.

Frozen, while still remembered, was forgotten after 2015 came along, its not talked about as much anymore.

quanchi112
Frozen stunk. Lion King didn't stink.

Ridley_Prime
Frozen didn't resonate as well.

Frozen, while still remembered, was forgotten after 2015 came along, its not talked about as much anymore.
Eh, I guess. Frozen suffered from hype backlash, but overall the songs are likely more remembered than the movie itself is; Let it Go and the like being as overplayed as Hakuna Matata and such were back then. lol

Man, imagine how Lion King would've been all over the place even more if it had come out at a time when the internet was as developed as it is nowadays. That was prolly part of what helped Frozen's success.

Dr Will Hatch
The Lion King is the first movie I saw in a theater when I was like five. It was with my grandpa, but I talked through the whole thing, and a couple of people left. I don't remember how big it was at the time, but I remember loving it, and I still do.

Actually, I wouldn't say Frozen has been forgotten at all. It's still pretty huge, and hell, I loved it. I would even say that it deeply affected me in ways that a lot of films don't. Frozen and Wreck-It-Ralph and Big Hero 6 are what got me back into watching Disney movies after a long slump. They're all great movies.

No disrespect to The Princess and the Frog, which is pretty good too.

Zack M
Adjusted for inflation it made $775,573,900 eek!

It was huge to say the least.

relentless1
Lion King was huge, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing about it..if you were a kid it was a new disney flick, if you were an adult they kept going on and on about how great the music was and how great elton johns tracks were... it really did appal to all audiences

Vanguard
It was big. And the best animated movie I've seen to date.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Frozen sold more overall if I recall right, but I'd still say LK was somewhere as big during its time.

That's before, Inflation, 3d and imax though.

The only animated movies to come as close or overcoming the hype of, aladdin and Lion King would be some of the Pixar movies, ie...,Toy Story, MI, Wall E

Q99
Lion King really is more 'Hamlet with Lions' than Kimba.

Frozen didn't resonate as well.

Not in my experience! Frozen resonated with a lot of people- maybe not you, but many.

That said, Lion King was absolutely gigantic. Even now it has the second highest US gross of an animated film- *not* adjusted for inflation.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.