Black Slave Owners

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raisen
I didn't really know this. Insane
http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2013/03/black_slave_owners_did_they_exist.html

Robtard
This was brought up years and years ago when FoTN was doing his 'white man is the devil' bit.

But the amount of black slave owners to white slave owners during the US' slavery years is a drop in a bath tub.

Raisen
Originally posted by Robtard
This was brought up years and years ago when FoTN was doing his 'white man is the devil' bit.

But the amount of black slave owners to white slave owners during the US' slavery years is a drop in a bath tub.

umm. one good reason is because whites have always outnumber blacks 6:1. similar proportions even after the civil war.
ummmmm. did you know that black people also had white indentured servants. and african tribes sold the slaves in the first place.

not excusing anything but this is interesting to know. read the comments from that article also. very informative

Raisen

what is FoTN

Raisen
"Another disturbing fact is that some black slave owners, such as William Ellison Jr, engaged in actual slave breeding. which was a practice frowned upon by most white slave owners. Ellison himself became quite wealthy breeding and selling slaves."

and alot of the breeding programs practiced back then were the breeding of white irish slaves with black slaves. Something for people to remember is that every race has been sold into slavery at some point and if all of the discussions keep rotating back to "well, my ancestors were slaves" then we can't move forward as a nation. FYI so called "white" nations were the fist to outlaw slavery. If we are supposed to feel ashamed that our ancestors might have owned slaves than can we also feel proud if our ancestors were the ones who helped abolish slavery?

Slavery still exists in a number of nations around the world... anyone want to guess where most of them are? The middle east and Africa.

Raisen
above is an exchange between a few of the posters on the root site

Robtard
Oh boy

Surtur
I would think though most people would just claim that these were blacks buying other blacks to save them from being bought by potentially more ruthless whites.

Raisen
Originally posted by Surtur
I would think though most people claim that these were blacks buying other blacks to save them from being bought by potentially more ruthless whites.

i'm sure that may have been the case but it is proven that many of them did it for profit.

read some of the posts on that site. it's interesting as hell and i was never taught any of this

Raisen
Oh boy

what?

Surtur
I'd be curious if any black slave owners threw their support in with the Confederacy.

Raisen
I'd be curious if any black slave owners threw their support in with the Confederacy.

yes many did. almost all of them.

i never learned anything like this in school. my interpretation was that europeans just kidnapped africans. you never see this in movies either.

Raisen
welp. bardock is calling me racist in another thread.

i quoted a historially black magazine and i'm racist to him.

Surtur
Well yeah, it almost reminds me of how people tend to gloss over a whole lot of stuff about the native americans and just frame it in a sense of "whites came and took these peaceful peoples lands and also gave them diseases" but yeah the reality of the matter is a lot different.

But yeah that is an entirely different topic. Though I was taught in school that some blacks actually also sold blacks as slaves. But apparently at least some of them did it thinking the slaves would be treated well. I think sometimes it's not really taught much because some people would take it as trying to make an excuse for what happened in America with slavery.

Robtard
Watch Amistad, the main character is captured by a rival tribe and sold to slavers.

The practice of capturing or buying captured slaves slowed down once the US had a sizeable slave population where slaver owners could "breed" more slaves or just import slaves that where already born into slavery. Far easier than capturing people who might resist.

Raisen
Watch Amistad, the main character is captured by a rival tribe and sold to slavers.

i wanted to see that movie but never got around to it.

rob. i'm being called a racist for this thread. is this your opinion too? i know who i am and i'm no racist. i genuinely don't think a lot of people know about this stuff.

Surtur
But there is a whole bunch of stuff from that era we aren't taught, even when it comes to Lincoln and the reasons he wanted to free the slaves. So it's a lot of stuff that gets left out.

Raisen
But there is a whole bunch of stuff from that era we aren't taught, even when it comes to Lincoln and the reasons he wanted to free the slaves. So it's a lot of stuff that gets left out.

and the history of liberia i learned recently. some freed american slaves chose to go there....and they started slavery of the locals within a generation

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Raisen
I didn't really know this. Insane
http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2013/03/black_slave_owners_did_they_exist.html

Except in Africa where lots of blacks owned lots of black slaves. And sold them too.!

Surtur
Yep, though I was at least taught that slavery was different there, at least at the time. At least in terms of the treatment of the slaves. Though yeah slavery is still slavery.

Raisen
apparently 5% of the white population owned slaves.....and today 5% of the population has 95% of the wealth.
hmmm............

MF DELPH
I think there's also the point of Jim Crow/"3/5s"/Grandfather Clause to consider. Slavery and who owned slaves is only a portion of that era's legacy. The Trans Saharan Slave Trade was actually far worse as far as the death, dehumanization, and mutilation of Africans is concerned, but hardly ever gets discussed contemporaneously because of the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade's fallout which led directly to contemporary issues like apartheid.

Raisen
http://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-africa/white-slaves-barbary-002171

something else i didn't know.

1.25 million europeans were enslaved hundreds of years before afican chattel slavery.

Raisen
Originally posted by MF DELPH
I think there's also the point of Jim Crow/"3/5s"/Grandfather Clause to consider. Slavery and who owned slaves is only a portion of that era's legacy. The Trans Saharan Slave Trade was actually far worse as far as the death, dehumanization, and mutilation of Africans is concerned, but hardly ever gets discussed contemporaneously because of the Trans Atlantic Slave Trade's fallout which led directly to contemporary issues like apartheid.

i didn't know this either. i never looked hard into this issue at all.
i also read that most of the infrastucture was destroyed during the civil war and the country as a whole didn't benefit much...only the 5% who owned slaves.
i personally have a hard time believing this but it explains the uber 5% rich that exist today.

riv6672
...did you know that black people also had white indentured servants. and african tribes sold the slaves in the first place.
Its one reason i dont beat the slavery guilt bit to death. I know enough history to be objective.
I get a lot if crap from "african americans" when i point out the above facts. I use quotes because i dont identify as that.

Henry_Pym
http://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-africa/white-slaves-barbary-002171

something else i didn't know.

1.25 million europeans were enslaved hundreds of years before afican chattel slavery. Really?

You know where "slavery" comes from? Slav as in Slavic, as in Eastern European. Lot of people hate mentioning the white slaves being imported into Africa because it kills narratives.

Tattoos N Scars
i wanted to see that movie but never got around to it.

rob. i'm being called a racist for this thread. is this your opinion too? i know who i am and i'm no racist. i genuinely don't think a lot of people know about this stuff.

You're no racist. You're just a raisen in the sun!!

Raisen
Originally posted by riv6672
Its one reason i dont beat the slavery guilt bit to death. I know enough history to be objective.
I get a lot if crap from "african americans" when i point out the above facts. I use quotes because i dont identify as that.

good man

riv6672
^^^ thumb up

Also: You missed a great opportunity at a joke with that sentence! stick out tongue

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
Really?

You know where "slavery" comes from? Slav as in Slavic, as in Eastern European. Lot of people hate mentioning the white slaves being imported into Africa because it kills narratives.
Not sure what "narrative" it kills.

Surtur
I think perhaps what he might mean is that some people at times act like the only people ever enslaved in the history of the world were black people.

krisblaze
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Not sure what "narrative" it kills.
Probably the narrative that the only slavery that ever occured was white murricans grabbing black folks in Africa.

Nobody ever considers how they bought most those slaves, how slavery is still in effect in parts of Africa, how slavery has mainly been an African and an Asian thing, etc.

The 'narrative' as he refers to, and as you are probably more than aware of, is that slavery is chiefly a white injustice committed against black people.

riv6672
I think perhaps what he might mean is that some people at times act like the only people ever enslaved in the history of the world were black people.
Its more of a fallacy than narrative at this point.

Omega Vision
I think perhaps what he might mean is that some people at times act like the only people ever enslaved in the history of the world were black people. Originally posted by krisblaze
Probably the narrative that the only slavery that ever occured was white murricans grabbing black folks in Africa.

Nobody ever considers how they bought most those slaves, how slavery is still in effect in parts of Africa, how slavery has mainly been an African and an Asian thing, etc.

The 'narrative' as he refers to, and as you are probably more than aware of, is that slavery is chiefly a white injustice committed against black people.
I'm aware of these things, I just don't see how they change the narrative of race relations and the history of slavery in the United States.

Bardock42
Regardless of whether people were enslaved in other places, and regardless of the differences between different kinds of enslavement, the United States are still completely and very significantly influenced by the chattel slavery of African slaves, the treatment of these slaves, the treatment of them after they were freed, Jim Crow/segregation, racist employment practices, racially biased voter suppressment, racially biased drug laws, racially biased prison-industrial complex, etc. and there's still a lot of work to be done counteract these.

Ushgarak
This whole thing is always a massive distraction, often used by people who think they have found out something clever when it turns out that people other than White Americans ever owned slaves. Oh brilliant, thanks for that, we never would have realised- that clearly changes everything.

Every single thing this argument tries to raise has not the slightest bearing on the American slavery issue.

Is the argument meant to be that only the US is blamed for slavery when it was a wider problem? If so, that's not true at all; all slave systems were progressively eliminated in European cultures and slavery as an idea became one of the first internationally abhorrent concepts (coming second to piracy). There were massive efforts expended to knock it out- with, ironically, the US being one of the major contributors to wiping it out in North Africa.

The whole point is that, amongst the great civilised nations, the US was the weird outlier in still having slavery and was justifiably criticised then and now for this reason. Even the brutal Russian autocracy outlawed serfdom before the US stopped slavery.

Is the idea that blacks get a free pass on owning slaves whilst whites do not? That's also gibberish- the black slave trading nations were hated for that reason (although plenty of greedy Europeans and Americans took advantage of the profit to be found in the market, outlawed though it was by the Royal Navy). But here's the thing- these were primitive nations. Slavery was something they didn't really understand yet as a bad thing- and before you think I am trying to give some sort of free moral pass here, absolutely not, but here's the thing- they would enslave anyone they could. They enslaved blacks mostly because poor, vulnerable blacks were easy to find, but they were happy enough to take whites before Europe and the US killed that off They were simply living by the law of the sword..

The point about the US was its very targeted and racist slavery system, enshrined into law, in a country that was meant to be- and certainly constantly professed itself to be- some sort of shining beacon of modern, ethical and just civilization. This was not the indiscriminate slavery system of brutal nations based on no more than power. The existence of a legal slavery system, targeted at blacks and hence denying blacks even the most basic of civil rights, based on the most profoundly wrong and immoral ideas of racial superiority, made a mockery of the US' claims to be a modern democracy and was a huge moral stain on the continent that is still not completely cleared to this day.

Is the idea that because extremely small numbers of black people in the US were also complicit in the slave trade that this in any way lessons the pain, suffering, despair and sheer evil caused by the above? If so, then this is simply a stupid idea.

So the right reaction to being told 'Did you know blacks owned slaves as well?' is- so what?

It;s similar with the 'Why did Lincoln free the slaves?' thing. That's a triviality. The American Civil War started about states' rights and free navigation of the Mississippi, but it became something very different in its course- it basically became about destroying this factor that shamed the US.

krisblaze
Most black people I've met from the US, some of whom I lived with for over a year, had more or less no clue about any other kind of slavery.
Originally posted by Bardock42
Regardless of whether people were enslaved in other places, and regardless of the differences between different kinds of enslavement, the United States are still completely and very significantly influenced by the chattel slavery of African slaves, the treatment of these slaves, the treatment of them after they were freed, Jim Crow/segregation, racist employment practices, racially biased voter suppressment, racially biased drug laws, racially biased prison-industrial complex, etc. and there's still a lot of work to be done counteract these.

I think this is the big one.

The segregation and racism continued so long after slavery was ended.

And people are still being forced in wage slavery sad

Lestov16
The thing about the enslavement of blacks vs the enslavement of other races is the level of dehumanization. Unlike other ethnicities, blacks were COMPLETELY stripped of their African cultural heritage.

And as far as African nations owning slaves, all those countries were tribal. The European nations that enslaved blacks were much more culturally and technologically developed and thus used their superior intelligence not to help but to exploit the less intelligent Africans. This horrific exploitation is the source of disproportionate anger towards whites compared to other slavery-practicing nations.

Surtur
Originally posted by Ushgarak
It;s similar with the 'Why did Lincoln free the slaves?' thing. That's a triviality. The American Civil War started about states' rights and free navigation of the Mississippi, but it became something very different in its course- it basically became about destroying this factor that shamed the US.

It might be trivial, but it was merely brought up as a point of things that aren't usually taught to us in school. In my school at least we were taught that ol' Abe just had a hard on for freedom and that is why he wanted them free. Seems the topic, as much as it is about black slave owners, is also about the things they tend to leave out of a history class.

I don't think people would use this to try to justify whites enslaving people or make that whole situation look less..bad. I guess it's just..a situation that is not so black and white. Yep, pun intended.

Originally posted by Lestov16
The thing about the enslavement of blacks vs the enslavement of other races is the level of dehumanization. Unlike other ethnicities, blacks were COMPLETELY stripped of their African cultural heritage.

Are you saying in the history of slavery that the only slaves dehumanized were blacks in America? I would actually find that hard to believe. Surely we didn't invent treating slaves like shit.

So now this sounds like you essentially are saying the africans are super mad at the whites partially because they took advantage of their stupidity?

I don't know if I'd call them a superior intelligence. They just had superior knowledge then the natives.

riv6672
It does change things though, when black people (in general) and prominent black "spokespersons" adopt a woe is me attitude and act as if history starts and stops in America.
The world was built on the backs of slaves, thats just how it is.
I personally dont begrudge my country/white people for the past (though i acknowledge the sacrifices made by everyone to get me the freedoms i have). I live in the now and look forward to the future.

This thread's been fun but i'm done. Too much SJWing for me. Thanks to everyone for letting me chime in.

krisblaze
Originally posted by Lestov16

And as far as African nations owning slaves, all those countries were tribal. The European nations that enslaved blacks were much more culturally and technologically developed and thus used their superior intelligence not to help but to exploit the less intelligent Africans. This horrific exploitation is the source of disproportionate anger towards whites compared to other slavery-practicing nations.
Being completely stripped of one's cultural heritage is not a trait exclusive to the America when it comes to the trans atlantic slavery. Worse than Viking slavery or Aztec slavery, but I doubt the slaves kept in Britain were seeing far better treatment than the American ones, culturally or...physically.

Raisen
oh my god. just look up the barbary slave trade that only occurred a hundred years earlier. blacks sold 1.5 million people. the women were exclusively used as sex slaves. this is every bit as bad. do you think those white europeans kept their heritage etc.

MF DELPH
I think the issue is moreso that slavery is used as a catch all term for the state sponsored oppression of Africans domestically (U.S.) and abroad. It's not simply the ownership and sale of individuals (which Africans also took part in), it's the subsequent social institutions of Jim Crow and Apartheid which were resultant of Trans Atlantic Slave Trade. The term gets simplified to human trafficking and ownership on one side and gets a false equivalency/equivocation of the term on the other.

Primarily, though, when people are talking about the ills of American Slavery and it's legacy they're talking about state sponsored segregation, unequal laws based in race, and racial oppression, which is beyond the definition of simple slavery. For example, my parents had to drink from "For Coloreds Only" drinking fountains in their childhood in the 50's.

Stigma
Oh boy
Oops.

Originally posted by krisblaze
Being completely stripped of one's cultural heritage is not a trait exclusive to the America when it comes to the trans atlantic slavery. Worse than Viking slavery or Aztec slavery, but I doubt the slaves kept in Britain were seeing far better treatment than the American ones, culturally or...physically.
Agreed thumb up

Surtur
Basically the moral of the story is: everyone is equally shitty and everyone has blood on their hands from one time or another.

jinXed by JaNx
What's wrong with owning slaves if the majority of society accepts it?

Surtur
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
What's wrong with owning slaves if the majority of society accepts it?

This almost sounds like excusing someone for racism because hey everyone at the time was racist.

Raisen
bump

Henry_Pym
Please talk to a Romanian about slavery before pretending that slavery was exclusive to one race.

Surtur
Yep, more or less every race in history has had a portion of it enslaved at one time or another and yep..the truth of the matter is a decent chunk of these slaves were treated far far worse then the slaves were in America.

It's xyz!
Black slavers was briefly touched upon in django unchained Tarantino style.

The way Jamie fox portrayed the black slaver seemed like the lowest of the low. I know, he was an actor playing a character pretending to be another character for dramatic effect, but after reading the article, watching a crash course on slavery and rewatching django unchained, it makes me think how bad black people really had it to try and integrate in a white society that they stole from the native Americans just to make a buck or improve their own lives.

If only William Ellis Jr. Was a schindler.

jinXed by JaNx
white people in America during the 1800's may have owned black slaves but the majority of those slaves were sold and traded to white Europeans from African tribe leaders.

Surtur
I think in the 1800's the world was just chalk full of terrible people.

FinalAnswer
I think in general the world is chalk full of terrible people.

It's xyz!
But we don't have history books telling us how bad Friedman was.

Mindset
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
white people in America during the 1800's may have owned black slaves but the majority of those slaves were sold and traded to white Europeans from African tribe leaders. And?

Peace Keeper
But...but...da white man is da only one to eva hab slaves!

Lol
Truth is blacks are more likely to be a descendant of a slave owner than a white person.
Guess who supplied us with slaves? Blacks. Guess who still practices it? Blacks.

Guess who ended it? Whites.

Peace Keeper
Originally posted by Mindset
And?
Its not that fact is taught in schools...and is absolutely not portrayed in the media.
If you were to base your idea of slavery on how its narrated by liberals itd be something like ""The evil white man, bent on conquest and blood lust, launched a full assault on the highly advanced african civilization, killing and raping his natural demonic way through the peaceful africans......who were nearing a cure for cancer. The satanic white man then enslaved africans for hundreds of years until the beautiful nubians revolted, defeating the blue eyed spawns of satan and attained their freedom."

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Peace Keeper
Its not that fact is taught in schools...and is absolutely not portrayed in the media.
If you were to base your idea of slavery on how its narrated by liberals itd be something like ""The evil white man, bent on conquest and blood lust, launched a full assault on the highly advanced african civilization, killing and raping his natural demonic way through the peaceful africans......who were nearing a cure for cancer. The satanic white man then enslaved africans for hundreds of years until the beautiful nubians revolted, defeating the blue eyed spawns of satan and attained their freedom."
I think you're mistaking what Black Supremacists/Separatists say for what liberals say.

Peace Keeper
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
I think you're mistaking what Black Supremacists/Separatists say for what liberals say.
I think you're confused into thinking there's a difference.

Peace Keeper
Liberals don't exist anymore. Progressives have replaced liberals. If youre offended by that, then grow a backbone and destroy them before they destroy you.

It's xyz!
http://www.mythdebunk.com/first-slave-owner-african-american/

This goes into detail about the recorded cases of slavery.

Interestingly, American culture was full of servants, who were Europeans and they would flee their "masters" too.

Also, make no mistake that the founding fathers were slave owners and white state legislators wrote state sponsored slavery into law.

Surtur
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7IfPA7oeaM0/Vty9hT_sfnI/AAAAAAAAAWI/J_ObaOCdkvU/s1600/Z_white%2Bguilt.jpg

It's xyz!
As a Brit, I'm still not happy about them Vikings.

Raisen
when i made this thread i never intended to imply that the trans-atlantic slave trade was ok. let me make that clear. very ugly situation

Surtur
I think at the very least it's important to highlight that this whole "slavery" thing wasn't an experience unique to the black race. Nor was owning slaves an experience unique to the white race. History shouldn't be twisted in order to suit an agenda the way we've seen historians do over the decades with a variety of subjects, but nobody benefits from ignoring history. We all suffer for it actually.

It's xyz!
I think at the very least it's important to highlight that this whole "slavery" thing wasn't an experience unique to the black race. Nor was owning slaves an experience unique to the white race. History shouldn't be twisted in order to suit an agenda the way we've seen historians do over the decades with a variety of subjects, but nobody benefits from ignoring history. We all suffer for it actually. i agree wholeheartedly.

USA is a different type of situation. Whites owned black slaves and their history is founded on it. From Washington to Jackson to Lincoln, it's kinda, err, yeah. That happened. As is the case in the Caribbean. In fact, slave descendants are an entirely different race to indigenous Africans with no culture other than slavery. Pretty shitty.

Having said that, great going, Washington.

Surtur
QXwOdSqF8dI

10 million slaves died just on the walk to the african slave market.

It's xyz!
What about the 6 million jews and Bernie Sanders not working in the 60s?

Feelthebern

Surtur
6% of Southerners owned slaves lol. I mean some make it seem like pretty much everyone had slaves. If you'd asked me what percentage of people owned slaves before today I would of at least given a number in the double digits.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by It's xyz!
As a Brit, I'm still not happy about them Vikings.

As one of those "VIKINGS" all I can say to you Brits is...

https://saboteur365.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/viking-offender.jpg

Tattoos N Scars
Slaves were not cheap. 6% is probably a fair number of slave owners. Most common people would not be able to afford buying one. How many working class people have Lamborghini's in their garages?

Raisen
Honestly who wouldn't have a slave if it were legal to do so. I wouldn't beat him or anything crazy.

Mindset
Honestly who wouldn't have a slave if it were legal to do so. I wouldn't beat him or anything crazy. People who are unable to view their fellow man as less than human and who have a sense of morality.

I'd have a shitload of slaves, probably treat them like shit too.

Raisen
People who are unable to view their fellow man as less than human and who have a sense of morality.

I like your way of thinking sir.

Tattoos N Scars
Mindset's Plantation. What are my slave hours? 9-5?

Mindset
Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
Mindset's Plantation. What are my slave hours? 9-5? You'll all find out soon enough.

Flyattractor
People who are unable to view their fellow man as less than human and who have a sense of morality.

Aint you a Liberal so don't you do that already?

Mindset
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Aint you a Liberal so don't you do that already? Who said I was a liberal?

Flyattractor
Actions and Words.

Mindset
Actions and Words.
The only political talk I've done is basically pointing out how idiots are idiots.

Definitely never shown support for any politician, so...

Flyattractor
Pointing out the fault of others while offering no useful info in return.

Well You got the Politician part down...

Mindset
Pointing out the fault of others while offering no useful info in return.

Well You got the Politician part down... So you admit I've never shown anything indicating I was a liberal. thumb up

Flyattractor
Yes but only in the regard that I have never actually paid you any attention at all whatsoever.

Sin I AM
Gem of a thread.

The United States of America, bastion of democracy..champion of fair play built its empire on the exploitation of two races. Systematically butchering one and enslaving another. All the while proclaiming to the world "that all men are created equal". But please do enlighten us on trivialities of "who else did it". It just enhances the frailty of the American mythos ego.

I require no alabaster coats of sugar in my history lessons please and thank you.

Flyattractor
Awww Yer just jealous cause your county is a Commie POS most likely.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Gem of a thread.

The United States of America, bastion of democracy..champion of fair play built its empire on the exploitation of two races. Systematically butchering one and enslaving another. All the while proclaiming to the world "that all men are created equal". But please do enlighten us on trivialities of "who else did it". It just enhances the frailty of the American mythos ego.

I require no alabaster coats of sugar in my history lessons please and thank you.
This is true for pretty much all countries, the only difference is that the US is a young nation so the nasty history is more recent.

Placidity
These facts are well known.

I generally find only people from the US are so ignorant and self-loathing. The propaganda is strong there.

Surtur
Gem of a thread.

If you watch the video I linked on the previous page it disproves this myth that we "built our empire" on slavery.

Or if you don't want to watch it, the jist of it is that the wealth created by slavery was gone by the time the civil war was over.

Also when it comes to native americans it comes down to..well, we were better at murder. We were better at doing all the shit they had already been doing just fine without us.

I do love your quote about alabaster and sugar and stuff, you almost channeled a SJW on a modern college campus with that, it was awesome. I can just imagine the line being delivered with a smug sense of superiority.

Sin I AM
If you watch the video I linked on the previous page it disproves this myth that we "built our empire" on slavery.

Or if you don't want to watch it, the jist of it is that the wealth created by slavery was gone by the time the civil war was over.

Also when it comes to native americans it comes down to..well, we were better at murder. We were better at doing all the shit they had already been doing just fine without us.

I do love your quote about alabaster and sugar and stuff, you almost channeled a SJW on a modern college campus with that, it was awesome. I can just imagine the line being delivered with a smug sense of superiority.

Ahh so you're one of THOSE. So youd like me to believe a fledgling nation without forced labor at a time where the American south had the best AND cheapest stuff in the world did NOT benefit is laughable. What's even more laughable is the notion that an argument like that even ne used. Its antihistorical bullshit akin to holocaust denial.

Without slavery there would be no modern day nations of the earth. Everyone has stood on the shoulders of someone else. Without the trampling of the native indigenous people we wouldnt have all this beautiful land the federal government makes us pay taxes on every year.

Instead of being a coward, pussy, little bitkh etc...and pointing the finger and saying " look he did it first or we werent the only ones". Americans need to man the phuck up and accept it and move past it.

Sjw signing off

Surtur
Ahh so you're one of THOSE. So youd like me to believe a fledgling nation without forced labor at a time where the American south had the best AND cheapest stuff in the world did NOT benefit is laughable. What's even more laughable is the notion that an argument like that even ne used. Its antihistorical bullshit akin to holocaust denial.

But you see nobody said we never benefited from slaves. What was said was that the nation wasn't built on slavery. Slavery was not the main thing.

For you to compare that to holocaust denial is..well, all kinds of special.

Yes lots of people have had slaves in the past, we aren't in disagreement here.

Who is pointing the finger? This is moving past it: we didn't do anything that wasn't being done already. So people need to get over it.

Sin I AM
You've missed the point. Moving past it is acceptance. The whole point of this thread is to alleviate the white man's burden by pointing out that black men did it too. All Im saying is stop doing that. Own that shit. My great granddaddy was a slave master. Period. No apologies it is what it is. Where you piss people off is when you try to rationalize it and when you try and make it a lesser evil.

Surtur
But chances are slim your great grand daddy actually owned slaves lol. That is another myth. Only 6% of people in the South owned slaves. If you factor in the population of the entire country, 1.5% of people owned slaves.

You also keep saying this is to alleviate things, but pointing out the context of history doesn't equate to that. It's not alleviating a burden to point out others did it too, it's just giving some perspective on the entire affair.

Basically, everyone has blood on their hands, that is the point. That is what people need to accept and don't want to accept.

Flyattractor
Sjw signing off

Don't we wish.

SquallX
You've missed the point. Moving past it is acceptance. The whole point of this thread is to alleviate the white man's burden by pointing out that black men did it too. All Im saying is stop doing that. Own that shit. My great granddaddy was a slave master. Period. No apologies it is what it is. Where you piss people off is when you try to rationalize it and when you try and make it a lesser evil.

Disagreed

Sin I AM
Originally posted by SquallX
Disagreed

With?

Flyattractor
With?

Didn't you say you had SIGNED OFF on this topic?

Surtur
I want to own this shit though. I am going to OWN the fact 1.5% of the entire country at the time owned slaved.

I am going to own the fact statistically speaking I am almost guaranteed to of not come from slave owners, just like a majority of other whites in this country.

I love owning shit. Probably the same way the evil whites loved free labor when they got it.

Time-Immemorial
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.