Le Comedy Club

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Selphie
Heyo, this is a thread where we can post about all things comedy: stand up, improv, podcasts, etc.

Feel free to contribute videos, reviews, and suggestions.

So let's start with some prompts!

Who are your favorite comedians?

Who were some of the first comedians you were introduced to?

What style of comedy/humor do you gravitate toward?

Who do you think is underrated/under-appreciated?

What comedic podcasts are you into?

Who have you seen live?

Slay
The best comedians are Tyler Perry and Dane Cook, hands down.

Selphie
If I had to pick a handful of my favorite comedians, it would probably be Michael Ian Black, Maria Bamford, David Cross, Morgan Murphy, Eddie Pepitone, and Hannibal Burress. My god, it's too hard to pick!! Oh, and Mitch Hedberg.

I was first introduced to stand up comedy when I was a kid, watching Comedy Central Presents specials, era late 90's/early 2000's. I remember really liking Mitch Hedberg and Margaret Cho.

I gravitate toward darker humor and absurdist humor. Dark humor is pretty prevalent, but some good absurdists are Maria Bamford and TJ Miller.

Ax3l
8yEU2gK4PkU

PFT has always been one of my favorites, and this is from one of his best specials.

Bardock42
Pretty sure you misspelled "El Comedy Club", you obviously don't speak Italian.

Selphie
As for podcasts, I mainly listen to WTF with Marc Maron, Pep Talks with Eddie Pepitone, and You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes. But these are mainly podcasts hosted by professional comedians, who typically interview and converse with other comedians. There's definitely a lot of humor in these podcasts, but they can be very serious at times.

I also listen to Comedy Bang Bang, but not as religiously as I used to a few years ago. Now I only tune in if I really like the comedians featured in the episode. Like one of the latest episodes with Ben Schwartz, because he is hilarious in general and excellent at improv. Some of the comedians they have on aren't always that great with improv, so some episodes can be very hit or miss for me.

Ax3l
The early comedy central specials were ****ing awesome. Those probably had my first experiences with Patton Oswalt and The Amazing Jonathan. They need more stand-up on comedy central!!!

They have a show called The Meltdown now which is probably one of the best stand-up shows on CC.

I like weird shit nowadays. I'd probably lean more towards the "alt-comedy" scene. Nathan Fielder, Neil Hamburger, Tim and Eric, Brett Gelman, even Eugene Mirman is doing some interesting shit now.

Nuke Nixon
Who are your favorite comedians?

Doug Stanhope, Patton Oswalt, George Carlin, Louis C.K.

Who were some of the first comedians you were introduced to?

Richard Pryor in the mid-'70s, as well as Bill Cosby, Robert Klein, David Brenner, Jerry Clower

What style of comedy/humor do you gravitate toward?

Observational, social commentary

Who do you think is underrated/under-appreciated?

Alex Reymundo, Carl Barron, Ardal O'Hanlon

What comedic podcasts are you into?

Never bothered with podcasts, I do like internet comedy radio like Social Crime, No Holds Barred, and Chuckle before it went pay to listen.

Who have you seen live?

Jerry Clower, Fluffy, Josh Blue, Gallagher, Carlos Mencia

Selphie
Originally posted by Ax3l
8yEU2gK4PkU

PFT has always been one of my favorites, and this is from one of his best specials.

This ain't yo grandaddy's hat store!!

Bahaha, I'm SO GLAD he talks about working retail. Retail is HELL, I am so glad I don't work in a store anymore.

PFT's Cake Boss character ALWAYS cracks me up. I wish he could do that character more often.

ggzSACC3afw

Selphie
The early comedy central specials were ****ing awesome. Those probably had my first experiences with Patton Oswalt and The Amazing Jonathan. They need more stand-up on comedy central!!!

They have a show called The Meltdown now which is probably one of the best stand-up shows on CC.

I like weird shit nowadays. I'd probably lean more towards the "alt-comedy" scene. Nathan Fielder, Neil Hamburger, Tim and Eric, Brett Gelman, even Eugene Mirman is doing some interesting shit now.

If you like weird shit, have you checked out TJ Miller, Eric Andre, or Myq Kaplan??

Myq Kaplan isn't as crazy as Tim and Eric stuff, but he does a lot of great word play and observations. I think you'd like him.

Selphie
As for comedians I've seen: Anthony Jeselnik, Hannibal Buress, Jon Dore, Reggie Watts, and Dave Attell.

Late March, I'm going to see MY HERO, the person that really got me into stand up comedy, David Cross!!!

Ax3l
Originally posted by Selphie
If you like weird shit, have you checked out TJ Miller, Eric Andre, or Myq Kaplan??

Myq Kaplan isn't as crazy as Tim and Eric stuff, but he does a lot of great word play and observations. I think you'd like him. Oh **** yeah TJ Miller is great. I love The Eric Andre Show but I don't think I've seen much of his standup. I saw him on a live episode of Getting Doug with High where he smoked weed with Doug Benson, and he was pretty hilarious on that.

Ax3l
As for comedians I've seen: Anthony Jeselnik, Hannibal Buress, Jon Dore, Reggie Watts, and Dave Attell.

Late March, I'm going to see MY HERO, the person that really got me into stand up comedy, David Cross!!! David Cross is SOOO****INGGOOD live. He's probably one of the favorites of my live experiences.

I've seen: Norm MacDonald, Kevin Nealon, Maria Bamford, Dave Foley, The Amazing Jonathan, Chelsea Peretti, Judah Friedlander, Michael Ian Black (Probably my favorite), David Cross, Moshe Kasher, Chris Cubas. I saw Ron Funches at a Doug Loves Movies pcast recording, but he didn't do standup :'(

Then there were some Austin area comedians who where were VERY funny but I'll never remember their names. Matt Sadler, maybe??? Matt something... BEARDEN!! Matt Bearden is a funny mother****er. Matt Sadler is another Austin-based comedian, but he's less funny. I saw him open for Dave Foley.

Selphie
Oh **** yeah TJ Miller is great. I love The Eric Andre Show but I don't think I've seen much of his standup. I saw him on a live episode of Getting Doug with High where he smoked weed with Doug Benson, and he was pretty hilarious on that.

Search Eric Andre on Spotify, there's a few clips of him doing stand up and they are pretty good. I wish he had more available, he's such a weirdo.

And I also wish TJ had a special!! I like watching some of his stuff on youtube but I wish he had more.

the "clunk" of the flute always gets me
SfZfl-NJzcY

this is pretty great, too
2LcBkqTSEWo

Ax3l
This ain't yo grandaddy's hat store!!

Bahaha, I'm SO GLAD he talks about working retail. Retail is HELL, I am so glad I don't work in a store anymore.

PFT's Cake Boss character ALWAYS cracks me up. I wish he could do that character more often.

ggzSACC3afw oh man this "Cakebug" thing is really giving me the giggles

Ax3l
David Cross is SOOO****INGGOOD live. He's probably one of the favorites of my live experiences.

I've seen: Norm MacDonald, Kevin Nealon, Maria Bamford, Dave Foley, The Amazing Jonathan, Chelsea Peretti, Judah Friedlander, Michael Ian Black (Probably my favorite), David Cross, Chris Cubas, Moshe Kasher, Chris Cubas. I saw Ron Funches at a Doug Loves Movies pcast recording, but he didn't do standup :'(

Then there were some Austin area comedians who where were VERY funny but I'll never remember their names. Matt Sadler, maybe??? Matt something... BEARDEN!! Matt Bearden is a funny mother****er. Matt Sadler is another Austin-based comedian, but he's less funny. I saw him open for Dave Foley. and adding on to this, i've seen some live podcast recordings. Doug Loves Movies (Twice), Harmontown. Harmontown was amazing, basically I just watched Dan Harmon get drunk on stage for like 2 hours.

Selphie
This is probably my favorite Michael Ian Black bit. That and the cumming a pinecone one.

"omg Cherise, Cherise"

lUBVI8Os3oM

Ax3l
you know who i'm gonna always miss? Harris Wittels

4yk4lp2GTdE
D3sGAS_ARZ8

"I hate smoking sections. Unless we're talking about the movie 'The Mask' with Jim Carrey. Then the smoking section is my favorite part."

Robtard
Been to many comedy shows, off the top of my head that I can recall and who are famous: Robin Williams, Louis C.K., Kevin Pollack, Stifler's Mom, Rob Schneider

Selphie
you know who i'm gonna always miss? Harris Wittels

4yk4lp2GTdE
D3sGAS_ARZ8

"I hate smoking sections. Unless we're talking about the movie 'The Mask' with Jim Carrey. Then the smoking section is my favorite part."

omg the gay marriage joke was hilarious. I also love that he only told really horrible jokes that were not fully formed jokes either

Have you listened to Pete Holmes podcast? He does two sessions with Harris. The first is hilarious and they briefly talk about drug use, while the second one was posted just a few months before Harris died and was the episode is mainly focused on his drug use, addiction, and depression. It's pretty rough to listen to, but it was still very informative. It's hard to say if anything could have been done for Harris?? But you should at least listen to the first one, it's much more humorous. I'll post both.

First:
http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/d/9/5/d95687b1bff9958d/YMIW46_Harris_Wittels_1.mp3?c_id=4505850&expiration=1456613129&hwt=2bedcdcaf331ee8fe2d294a6741a6679

Second:
http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/f/1/7/f1773f606d28edc3/YMIW236_Harris_Wittels_Returns.mp3?c_id=7903404&expiration=1456613507&hwt=6a3bd8e8b32d9dcaf5a3da6d2e695ec7

Ax3l
omg the gay marriage joke was hilarious. I also love that he only told really horrible jokes that were not fully formed jokes either

Have you listened to Pete Holmes podcast? He does two sessions with Harris. The first is hilarious and they briefly talk about drug use, while the second one was posted just a few months before Harris died and was the episode is mainly focused on his drug use, addiction, and depression. It's pretty rough to listen to, but it was still very informative. It's hard to say if anything could have been done for Harris?? But you should at least listen to the first one, it's much more humorous. I'll post both.

First:
http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/d/9/5/d95687b1bff9958d/YMIW46_Harris_Wittels_1.mp3?c_id=4505850&expiration=1456613129&hwt=2bedcdcaf331ee8fe2d294a6741a6679

Second:
http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/f/1/7/f1773f606d28edc3/YMIW236_Harris_Wittels_Returns.mp3?c_id=7903404&expiration=1456613507&hwt=6a3bd8e8b32d9dcaf5a3da6d2e695ec7
"I've said 'I've said it before and i'll say it again' before, and i'll say 'I've said it before and i'll say it again' again." - Another good Harris joke.

And I haven't heard those episodes, is that from the You Made it Weird podcast??? I'll listen to them both for sure, Harris was one of my favorites.

Jesus McBurger
I don't care what anybody says, Daniel Tosh is my favorite comedian

Ax3l
Oh he's a comedian now? I thought he just the poor man's Chris Hardwick

Jesus McBurger
I am poor, and i do like him

Ax3l
hahaha, terrific

Now this:

L-bPXV72uHk

walshy
that video is 48 minutes long

Impediment
Favorites: George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Sam Kinison, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Paul Mooney, Redd Foxx, Mitch Hedberg, Gabriel Iglesias, and Otto Petersen (Otto and George ventriloquist act).

Selphie
Originally posted by walshy
that video is 48 minutes long

so many great quotes from that special

"Ima, Ima push him"

"SCATTER!!"

Genesis-Soldier
am a big fan of Adam Hills, Jeff Dunham and Gabriel Iglascious

Selphie
Moshe Kasher doing a racist Stephen Hawking impression. Amazing.

kNA1sLaYlUQ

Selphie
I have a few shows coming up in the next month, I'm super excited!! My upcoming gigs are on the 15th and 28th of this month, and one in early April.

Here's a recent pic of me doing stand up, I'm wearing my knee brace, hah!

I also like how there's no one sitting in the front!! It looks like I'm performing to an empty crowd haermm

http://56.media.tumblr.com/b068ee1175b1c636618b1bdb23ebf7fb/tumblr_o2q6m5K3mE1qc2i56o1_500.jpg

The Lost
I like Doug Stanhope. He's funny.

Ax3l
heynong man

FbICbeiGC_o

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.