Self ID

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
When is it actually accurate to self identify as -insert nationality-American?
Is it a choice thing?
Is it a matter of being a certain number of generations removed?
Still having close family ties in a certain country?
Is it a technical/legal term/definition and there's nothing to be done on that level?
Other?

I've been in a few RL/online conversations this week and would like to know what you guys think.
I dont know many white people who self identify as other than white and/or American. Those that do fit into the 1-2 generations removed, family abroad category.

Black people on the other hand often go the "african American" route.
I dont, as i have no family there, nor any family here who's ever set foot in that country.
I kind of see why native Americans make the distinction, but it doesnt seem to make sense for black people to really do so.
Hoping for some actual feedback here at the tail end of BHMonth.

Edit:
Was going to ask this in Raisen's black slave owner thread, but its a bit of a tangent question.

Vorpal Ruin
Shouldn't we just identify as people?

riv6672
That would be nice, but we dont, hence the question(s).

Vorpal Ruin
I don't think that everyone goes around spouting their ethnicity frequently(yes, some--perhaps most do) on a common basis. I think people just say their name, and then elaborate more if questioned to try and help build a better understanding and create a more comfortable interaction between others who feel those things matter, perhaps because of the fear of the unknown.

Please don't think i'm attacking you here, because I'm not, but it seems that we agree that none of that should matter much, so isn't this thread somewhat counterproductive to reach that idealistic end? I get that understanding is nice, as is curiosity, but that's how it seems to me.

If i seem like a fool, it's because I am.

riv6672
Just trying to start a conversation here, and while taking no offense, just to let you know, the Philosophy sub forum is 1 click back, 2 spots up. thumb up wink

Flyattractor
I'm white so I don't have an ETHNICITY.

Surtur
I introduce myself as a "German Polish Italian Greek American" all the time.

No just kidding. But I do think it's bunk when blacks get shit on by other blacks for saying they are merely americans not african americans. Both Morgan Freeman and Raven Simone caught shit over this.

krisblaze
The nazis were really onto something with those stars.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by krisblaze
You get that pink triangle, boy!

Surtur
Originally posted by krisblaze

Well this is why when a child does good in school he gets a star, right?

riv6672
Originally posted by Surtur
I introduce myself as a "German Polish Italian Greek American" all the time.

No just kidding. But I do think it's bunk when blacks get shit on by other blacks for saying they are merely americans not african americans. Both Morgan Freeman and Raven Simone caught shit over this.
Freeman can call himself anything he WANTS, dang it!
But seriously, i get flack for my views on this and other racial subjects all the time. God forbid a black person think for themselves.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.