Mr. Popo..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
..is by far the weirdest thing on Dragon Ball Earth.

What is he, anyways? There's nothing quite like him on the planet, or anywhere else.. Kami, Dende, and Piccolo are aliens. Talking animals are fairly common place. Buu, he's a magical being, and demons and other weirdo's are from hfil/otherworld.

If I didn't know better, I'd almost think Popo was Toriyama playing a "blackface" stereotype, but maybe there's a cultural reference I'm missing?

Galan007
Popo is technically modeled after a Djinn/Genie.

But yeah, the racist overtones are rather blatant.

vansonbee
Blackface is a white thing, I doubt the DBZ was going for the racist theme, when he made Popo

cdtm
Originally posted by vansonbee
Blackface is a white thing, I doubt the DBZ was going for the racist theme, when he made Popo

Watch much Godzilla? They had a HILLARIOUS rendition of New York city that had a black pimps driving around shooting at cops, like it was an everyday thing. Japan could totally import other cultures racist memes. wink

cdtm
DBZ abridged PoPo is O_O;;;

That parody show is also >>>>>>>> everything.

v=53EZ2fErFHY

Pecking order!

SquallX
Originally posted by vansonbee

There's actually such a thing as black face in Japan.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by cdtm
..is by far the weirdest thing on Dragon Ball Earth.

http://orig11.deviantart.net/c8fc/f/2012/306/4/5/mr__popo_s_pecking_order__by_tapions_flute-d5jsbp6.jpg

See that DBZ Abridged ep shocklaugh

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.