Conservatives having a bad time in Iran

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35684776

Now, we should never get too excited about what happens in Iranian elections since their actual effect on the country's governance will only ever be slight and gradual, but the recent elections in Iran have dealt a few blows to the country's hardliners. Not only did reformists* absolutely sweep the election in the capital region, but they've won all but a single seat in the Assembly of Experts. This is potentially huge, because this is the assembly that might choose the next Supreme Leader if Khamenei dies in the next few years, which is quite possible given his age and health.

*The reformists are more like "less conservative" candidates, as Iran's guardian council gets to decide who even runs, thus hundreds or even thousands of "too liberal" candidates are disqualified, and what's left are reformers who aren't demanding much and are willing to take the long and slow approach to chage

Time-Immemorial
I just heard that moderates got elected in Iran.

Omega Vision
Jon Stewart made a joke about eight years ago that elections in Iran were about "red states and redder states"

I think the encouraging thing between these results and the election of Rouhani a few years back is that the true power structure of Iran, while still no friend to the West, is starting to prioritize economic growth and is respecting the demands of its growing secular population to be less insular, rather than following the confrontational, xenophobic tack of Ahmedinejad and his cohorts.

Robtard
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
I just heard that moderates got elected in Iran.

You can thank Obama

Time-Immemorial
Based on

Surtur
Wouldn't a "Conservatives having a good time in Iran" be a weird topic though?

Dr Will Hatch
^ Makes me think that they have to run to Iran now to get some good transsexual proustites. If they bought one in America, they'd be exposed within a week.

Bentley
Based on

The Nuclear pact with the US is considered a huge victory for the current president. Obama pretty much singlehandedly gave life to moderates in Iran thumb up

Stigma
Everyone has a bad time in Iran. Fact.

Q99
Based on

The lifting of sanctions being a high priority for the people of Iran, the conservatives being against the deal, and the moderates being a driving force.

I mean, this is part of why we did it, you know?

And the people less likely to keep the deal just got replaced with people more likely to...

Robtard
Thanks Obama

Flyattractor
So this means the Ayatollah doesn't run the country anymore?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.