Rodney King decades later

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raisen
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dsb1WywIpUtY&ved=0ahUKEwjgqIf60qjLAhVQ0GMKHfNuA8gQuAIILzAE&usg=AFQjCNHK5GrG-SxUkBVoluWvSKQNr2IKEg

It's seems excessive. But why did he keep getting up and resisting? Even right before 2:00 into the video he pulls his arm away. Anybody with good sense or respect for authority would know better IMO

Time-Immemorial
This poor man has suffered greatly in his life.

Raisen
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
This poor man has suffered greatly in his life.

Stupidity and karma is a hell of a thing

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Raisen
Stupidity and karma is a hell of a thing Yeah, though it isn't nearly as much of a thing as police corruption.

Raisen
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Yeah, though it isn't nearly as much of a thing as police corruption.
Sure, but why not stay down. Why keep swatting the cops away. Why charge one.

riv6672
Because he was stupid.

Not as stupid as the people that rallied behind him as if he were Rosa Parks, though.
I met a guy in basic with "King Rodney" tattooed across his chest in huge letters...roll eyes (sarcastic)

Raisen
Originally posted by riv6672
Because he was stupid.

Not as stupid as the people that rallied behind him as if he were Rosa Parks, though.
I met a guy in basic with "King Rodney" tattooed across his chest in huge letters...roll eyes (sarcastic)

All the meaning was lost behind that Dann riot too. Rodney was not the guy to spark a riot

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by riv6672
Because he was stupid.

laughing out loudthumb up

Omega Vision
Sure, but why not stay down. Why keep swatting the cops away. Why charge one.
Why did the police keep beating him?

Lestov16
Just like the Michael Brown case (although the lethal police force in this, unlike Brown's death, is indisputably excessive), it was not so much the case itself as the years of social unrest beforehand that triggered the riots. In the case of Ferguson it was years of US Justice Dept-proven racist police corruption and profiteering off black discrimination.

In the case of the King riots, it was the paramilitary LAPD approach of Daryl Gates mixed with the violence fueled by the crack trade created by the CIA to sell Nicaraguan cocaine as part of Reagan's Iran Contra affair combined with tensions with Koreans after Korean store owner Soon Ja Du wrongfully accused a black girl of stealing orange juice and killed her when she resisted Du's attempts to grab her, only for Du to be unjustly found innocent.

So it's these factors that caused the riots, not King's beating alone.

Surtur
Which of course the irony is when you try to burn down your city people think "wow well maybe people were right about them" and round and round we go.

Lestov16
People aren't perfect. Anger can eventually overcome rationality if it is built up and unallowed to be expressed. As I stated, in both the King and Harlins case, the good old US law found the obviously guilty perpetrators innocent due to racial profiling, so forgive the blacks of South Central for abandoning their faith in the law. Same thing in Ferguson. If you can't go to the police, mainly because they're the ones oppressing you, eventually you feel that the law is a facade and there is no obligation to obey it. Why obey the law if the law is trying to oppress you?

I'm not justifying the rioting, but to act like there wasn't a logical progression leading up to it is massively close minded.

Raisen
Yeah and the riot began on Feb 29 and come Mar 1 they were complaining because they couldn't cash their welfare check. So the national guard was sent to guard the mobile banks.

Yes this happened

Raisen
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Why did the police keep beating him?
Because he kept resisting

snowdragon
Originally posted by Lestov16
so forgive the blacks of South Central for abandoning their faith in the law. Same thing in Ferguson.

There is hardly a reason to excuse that behavior. They didn't attack the system they destroyed neighborhoods they lived in. That wasn't a rebellion against the law it was just a rebellion. Hell I remember the Rodney King event and in our high school we had to bring in police in Virginia because there was so much violence.

Yeah, take your self righteous attitude somewhere else, I doubt you lived it.

Raisen
Originally posted by snowdragon
There is hardly a reason to excuse that behavior. They didn't attack the system they destroyed neighborhoods they lived in. That wasn't a rebellion against the law it was just a rebellion. Hell I remember the Rodney King event and in our high school we had to bring in police in Virginia because there was so much violence.

Yeah, take your self righteous attitude somewhere else, I doubt you lived it. my dad worked around LA at that time. He was almost pulled out of his truck. Reginald deny was another terrible thing

Surtur
People aren't perfect. Anger can eventually overcome rationality if it is built up and unallowed to be expressed. As I stated, in both the King and Harlins case, the good old US law found the obviously guilty perpetrators innocent due to racial profiling, so forgive the blacks of South Central for abandoning their faith in the law. Same thing in Ferguson. If you can't go to the police, mainly because they're the ones oppressing you, eventually you feel that the law is a facade and there is no obligation to obey it. Why obey the law if the law is trying to oppress you?

I'm not justifying the rioting, but to act like there wasn't a logical progression leading up to it is massively close minded.

It's always the "people aren't perfect" trotted out for criminals, but never cops. The cops were of course wrong and took things way too far. Them getting away with it is also bad, but our "justice" system f*cks everyone except the wealthy I've come to notice.

I'm just pointing out how the behavior spawns a cycle. People are mad they are being discriminated against and seen as nothing but violent criminals...so they then behave like violent criminals. But then the racists have something to point to in order to justify their discrimination.

Raisen
Originally posted by Surtur
It's always the "people aren't perfect" trotted out for criminals, but never cops. The cops were of course wrong and took things way too far. Them getting away with it is also bad, but our "justice" system f*cks everyone except the wealthy I've come to notice.

I'm just pointing out how the behavior spawns a cycle. People are mad they are being discriminated against and seen as nothing but violent criminals...so they then behave like violent criminals. But then the racists have something to point to in order to justify their discrimination.

Exactly.

Lestov16
the problem is the wrongdoing of the cops and Soo Ja Du has not been expressed in this thread. In fact one of the first posts talks about how King deserved his beating. Everybody is talking solely about the wrongdoing of blacks, and but no mention of the wrongdoing of Soo Ja Du and the Daryl Gates police department.

Nobody is saying the rioting by blacks was right, but at least SOME recognition that the beating of King, brutality of the Daryl Gates led LAPD, and death of Harlins was wrong, rather than "King was stupid for not staying down", would at least give the impression of objective understanding of the situation.

You're so quick to denounce the blacks as savages for rioting, but so hesitant to denounce the brutal Daryl Gates era LAPD and the racist justice system that let Latasha Harlin's killer go free

Why I haven't I seen any posts about Harlin's death? Her death was a MAJOR cause of the riots and yet it was never mentioned here. You're willing to say a whole bunch about what blacks did wrong but not a single thing about what Soo Ja Du, and the justice system that let her go free, did wrong. it seems you only want to focus on the wrongdoing of blacks and completely ignore the wrongdoing done unto blacks.

It's like you want to ignore the oppression of blacks and only focus on the violence induced by the oppression. You want to focus purely on the effect and not the cause, when you need to be looking at both.

Also, as far as going to cash their welfare checks the next day, that's because contrary to what you might think, black people aren't a collective hive mind. They are human beings, each with their own desires and goals, so unlike your mental visualization where every black person in South Central was running around like a rage zombie, there were in fact people trying to get on with their lives despite the rioting.

I see why you're a Trump supporter. Your racism is so overt.

Raisen
the problem is the wrongdoing of the cops and Soo Ja Du has not been expressed in this thread. In fact one of the first posts talks about how King deserved his beating. Everybody is talking solely about the wrongdoing of blacks, and but no mention of the wrongdoing of Soo Ja Du and the Daryl Gates police department.

Nobody is saying the rioting by blacks was right, but at least SOME recognition that the beating of King, brutality of the Daryl Gates led LAPD, and death of Harlins was wrong, rather than "King was stupid for not staying down", would at least give the impression of objective understanding of the situation.

You're so quick to denounce the blacks as savages for rioting, but so hesitant to denounce the brutal Daryl Gates era LAPD and the racist justice system that let Latasha Harlin's killer go free

Why I haven't I seen any posts about Harlin's death? Her death was a MAJOR cause of the riots and yet it was never mentioned here. You're willing to say a whole bunch about what blacks did wrong but not a single thing about what Soo Ja Du, and the justice system that let her go free, did wrong. it seems you only want to focus on the wrongdoing of blacks and completely ignore the wrongdoing done unto blacks.

It's like you want to ignore the oppression of blacks and only focus on the violence induced by the oppression. You want to focus purely on the problem and not the cause, when you need to be looking at both.

Also, as far as going to cash their welfare checks the next day, that's because contrary to what you might think, black people aren't a collective hive mind. They are human beings, each with their own desires and goals, so unlike your mental visualization where every black person in South Central was running around like a rage zombie, there were in fact people trying to get on with their lives despite the rioting.

I see why you're a Trump supporter. Your racism is so overt.

I'm from there dude. I never said that everyone was a rage monster. Quit trying to entice a riot.

Also, I'm not a trump supporter. I hate what he says about Mexican people. I'm catholic dude. I liked Carson but now I like kasich. Get your stuff straight. You are accusing me of assuming yet that is you.
Get your shut straight lestov

Lestov16
If you're from there, why haven't you commented on Latasha Harlins' death or the brutality of the Daryl Gates police department? You're acting like you're the expert on the riots because you're from there, yet you've only commented on one cause of the riots, the King beating, and not the other two. Not really much of an expert.

Do you even know who Latasha Harlins is? You'll probably say you recall the name. You remember the rioting yet Harlin's unjust death you probably only slightly remember. Again, your myopic bigotry is indisputable.

Raisen
If you're from there, why haven't you commented on Latasha Harlins' death or the brutality of the Daryl Gates police department? You're acting like you're the expert on the riots because you're from there, yet you've only commented on one cause of the riots, the King beating, and not the other two. Not really much of an expert.

Do you even know who Latasha Harlins is? You'll probably say you recall the name. You remember the rioting yet Harlin's unjust death you probably only slightly remember. Again, your myopic bigotry is indisputable.

I don't comment on it because it still doesn't excuse what happened. All those riots did was make things worse and reinforce negative stereotypes in a lot of people's minds. All it did was create a sense that future riots are ok. Stuff always seems to boil over after the WRONG person is made a damn martyr.

Lestov16
Erm...what? How did it justify future riots? Are you talking about Ferguson, because the looters were denounced by the peaceful protesters. Peaceful protesters were even guarding stores from looters. Looters are just opportunistic thieves. They in no way represent actual protesters. Nobody has ever stated looting and vandalism is an acceptable form of protest. The fact you believe black people think that is again rather myopic.

And the thing is, if you don't want things to boil over, wouldn't it be helpful to address the problems ,such as unpunished police corruption/brutality, heating it before it gets to the boiling point? Just sayin'

Surtur
And the thing is, if you don't want things to boil over, wouldn't it be helpful to address the problems ,such as unpunished police corruption/brutality, heating it before it gets to the boiling point? Just sayin'

It would be helpful to address all the problems the community faces, police brutality of which is just one branch of that.

Lestov16
Well yeah. Are you talking about the Iran Contra fueled crack cocaine trade?

Surtur
Well don't even get me started on drugs, our own government has brought so much filth into this country. Like heroin.

Lestov16
I think the reason there is such an effort to outlaw marijuana is that US govt. agents have made deals with Mexican cartels to traffic their product in the US in exchange for border protection from terrorist groups. So that's why marijuana is illegal and narcotics are so widespread. My theory at least.

Raisen
Why do you keep injecting race dude. It's irrelevant. I'm not talking about race. Somewhere along the line we are misunderstanding each other or at least you are misunderstanding me.

Slay
It's a go-to libbo tactic, you should know this by now.

Lestov16
Why do you keep injecting race dude. It's irrelevant. I'm not talking about race. Somewhere along the line we are misunderstanding each other or at least you are misunderstanding me.

We are talking about the Rodney King riots. How is race not going to be a topic here?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.