Getting raped in Dubai andreporting it can get you a prison sentence

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HulkIsHulk
http://reuters.com/article/emirates-courts-rape-norway-idINDEE96K09720130721
So much for the best tourist city

Surtur
That is pretty messed up.

Lucius
This is a two year old case; the woman was eventually pardoned. Although, that doesn't change the fact that the UAE (along with almost all Islamic countries) is a country of barbarian savages.

Surtur
At this point I just don't see why people travel to countries like that unless they 100% have to. I don't care how awesome it might seem..if you can get thrown in jail for drinking booze because you reported a rape it's not worth it. It's just like these people who go to other hostile middle eastern countries and get captured and shit.

Stigma
Originally posted by Lucius
This is a two year old case; the woman was eventually pardoned. Although, that doesn't change the fact that the UAE (along with almost all Islamic countries) is a country of barbarian savages.
thumb up

HulkIsHulk
Originally posted by Surtur
At this point I just don't see why people travel to countries like that unless they 100% have to. I don't care how awesome it might seem..if you can get thrown in jail for drinking booze because you reported a rape it's not worth it. It's just like these people who go to other hostile middle eastern countries and get captured and shit.
I especially wonder why some people go to Saudi Arabia. If its for pilgrimage I can understand. But if you are going there as a tourist or looking for work, its stupid. Its got the most restrictive, old-fashioned, thoughtless, cruelest laws I've ever seen in an Arab country. You have to wear the local ethnic dress if you are staying there for a long time in fact. Until recently, the Muslims were forced to come to the mosques during the prayer times. They wouldn't have the freedom to pray in the house or rest after a hard day's work. They were literally dragged to the mosque. They will come to your house in the morning, barge in, wake you up by hitting you with a stick, and if you are a muslim they will take you the mosque. No ifs and buts
And you will either have an inescapable priso nsentence or death in an Arab country if found with something that is supposed to be related to witchcraft or socery

Ushgarak
UAE is moderate as far as Islamic states go and they extend a surprising amount of tolerance; alcohol consumption is generally illegal but they give alcohol licenses to westerners (with restrictions etc). Sex outside marriage is illegal, but they don't actually go around prying to what westerners get up to in private- it's only when they do it out in the open that they bring the law in.

But, even assuming you can live with the above, it still has a lot of major social/moral issues. Female rights are extremely restricted. This case is part of that. Of course, it's not being raped that has the penalty- the problem is that it is effectively impossible to prove a man raped you in the UAE, so all reporting it does is get you hit with the 'no sex' law.

UAE is on a major recruiting drive right now and they are paying a LOT of money (as teaching goes) for people like me (over twice that, say, China offers for the same work), with very generous benefits, and I was considering it for a while, but their ethical stance is just a bit too far over the line for me.

That and the heat.

HulkIsHulk
Paladin, I am a student in the Arab countries so I may not know much about the working sector, but hasn't a a of people lost jobs over the Petrol price crisis? My uncle was a physiotherapist in Abu Dhabi and he lost his job recently. He has found another one now but with less benefits. Do you know anyone that has happened to?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.