Americans Really Don't Like Immigration

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-07/americans-really-don-t-like-immigration-new-survey-finds

Well look here, for all the pundits here who say this is what we were founded on, I guess Times change.

jaden101
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-07/americans-really-don-t-like-immigration-new-survey-finds

Well look here, for all the pundits here who say this is what we were founded on, I guess Times change.

Chicken/egg scenario really. Does the news reflect public opinion or does public opinion reflect the news.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial

It's not what "pundits" say, it's the literal truth: America is a nation of immigrants. Of course it's reasonable to have certain restrictions on immigration, but to hate the concept outright is always going to be hypocritical for Americans.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Omega Vision
It's not what "pundits" say, it's the literal truth: America is a nation of immigrants. Of course it's reasonable to have certain restrictions on immigration, but to hate the concept outright is always going to be hypocritical for Americans.

thumb up

Omega Vision
I also have to wonder if some of the respondents didn't read the question closely and were confusing it for "illegal immigration" rather than immigration in general.

NewGuy01
thumb up

Q99
Interesting thing when contrasted with information like Over 70% of Americans, including 72% of Republicans, support pathways to citizenship

Also, I do think immigration really gets unfairly demonized. They're a quite big help to the country and economy- and I'm not simply talking doing basic jobs, but they're responsible for a ton of our patents / Immigrants are behind the majority of US patents. I can't find it now, but there's been articles about how moving to somewhere else actually helps people be creative, as they see things from different angles.

Immigrants are also more likely to be entrepreneurs than native-born, and so on.

Yadda yadda. Immigration is pretty good for us, way more than most people realize.

Astner
I'm pretty sure that the Indians didn't like the immigration either. http://i.imgur.com/TXqG4ea.png

Surtur
People have the very wrong impression that because we were founded by immigrants that we pretty much need to always be letting anyone and everyone in. But things need to change to reflect the times. We really don't need anymore immigrants, legal or illegal. So the least we could do is stop the illegal ones.

Originally posted by Astner
I'm pretty sure that the Indians didn't like the immigration either. http://i.imgur.com/TXqG4ea.png

They probably didn't like being slaughtered and enslaved by their own kind too, but meh.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Surtur
People have the very wrong impression that because we were founded by immigrants that we pretty much need to always be letting anyone and everyone in. But things need to change to reflect the times. We really don't need anymore immigrants, legal or illegal. So the least we could do is stop the illegal ones.
I think you have the very wrong impression that people have that impression.

Also, we get incredibly beneficial immigration all the time. We're brain-draining Russia and most of Asia right now thanks to immigration.

Surtur
I think you have the very wrong impression that people have that impression.

But it's the bullshit you always hear people spouting. Tell me if you discuss illegal immigration with people who support it..you've never heard them trot out that bullshit? The "we are a nation built on immigrants". I hear it almost as much as "they do the jobs nobody else wants to do".

Omega Vision
But it's the bullshit you always hear people spouting. Tell me if you discuss illegal immigration with people who support it..you've never heard them trot out that bullshit? The "we are built on immigrants". I hear it almost as much as "they do the jobs nobody else wants to do".
That isn't the same as saying "let everyone in without restrictions"

And it's often true that illegal immigrants perform work that very few citizens are willing to, that's half the fault of the immigrants but also half the fault of corporations who refuse to raise wages to adjust to costs of living.

Surtur
That isn't the same as saying "let everyone in without restrictions"

And it's often true that illegal immigrants perform work that very few citizens are willing to, that's half the fault of the immigrants but also half the fault of corporations who refuse to raise wages to adjust to costs of living.

Yet people spout the job thing as if they are the only ones willing to do shit jobs. while Americans won't. When in reality it just prevents actual citizens from being able to make a decent wage. So the illegals hurt the citizens but hey they help the corporations and shit so..yay?

Also yes I'm not saying people advocate letting people in without restriction, but I have heard illegal immigrants defended with the "we are built on immigrants" line.

Q99

"Need" isn't really the question. We would both benefit from and help others in accepting immigrants, and we have ginormatons of space for them and could handle a lot deal more than we do with little issue, because we're huge in number and in a physically huge country.

Surtur
I know, but remember there was a time where our country *needed* immigrants, that time has long past. Sure we could benefit from certain immigrants, which is why I'm fine with people coming here legally.

jinXed by JaNx
This is a ridiculous claim and assumption. Americans don't like ILLEGAL immigration anymore than any other country. Immigration and illegal immigration is a severe problem for all 1st world countries. Why is America the only country singled out when their citizens speak out against illegal immigration. America is all about immigration just not illegally.

snowdragon
Originally posted by Q99
Interesting thing when contrasted with information like Over 70% of Americans, including 72% of Republicans, support pathways to citizenship

Also, I do think immigration really gets unfairly demonized. They're a quite big help to the country and economy- and I'm not simply talking doing basic jobs, but they're responsible for a ton of our patents / Immigrants are behind the majority of US patents. I can't find it now, but there's been articles about how moving to somewhere else actually helps people be creative, as they see things from different angles.

Immigrants are also more likely to be entrepreneurs than native-born, and so on.

Yadda yadda. Immigration is pretty good for us, way more than most people realize.

Almost half of our illegal immigrants are on expired green cards, another significant part barely have a 3-4 th grade education.

Realistically we should punish the shit out of businesses that use illegals.

Time-Immemorial
This shows the American People do not thing the goverment is doing their job in 3 key area's

immigration
terrorism
economy

http://www.theharrispoll.com/politics/Terrorism-Economy-Immigration-Top-Issues.html

Surtur
Originally posted by snowdragon
Almost half of our illegal immigrants are on expired green cards, another significant part barely have a 3-4 th grade education.

Realistically we should punish the shit out of businesses that use illegals.

Yep, we need far far harsher penalties for these companies that exploit cheap labor, but our government will never do that because of greed.

I'd totally be willing to pay more money for strawberries if it meant people here legally could actually earn a decent wage. You see these people don't just harm those who were born in this country..they harm those who immigrated here legally.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.