Should We Get Rid of the Penny?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tyszHg96KI

I personally never use pennies and find them annoying and cumbersome in bulk. They cost more money to make than they're worth, so as the video points out, they're basically costing the government money and thus costing the taxpayer money.

The main argument for keeping pennies is that they allow for exact change, but I feel like there are ways around that. For one thing, do you actually care if you're shortchanged 2 or 3 cents? I personally don't, but then I'm a laidback kind of guy.

Anyway, what are your thoughts about this?

Also, while we're at it, do we get rid of nickles too? They're also kind of pointless.

Time-Immemorial
While we at it, lets get rid of the dollar.

Time-Immemorial
And switch to some communist currency.

FinalAnswer
We already got rid of ours.

Keep the nickels though, you can eventually gather them up and exchange them.

Time-Immemorial
How do we decide between Russian, Cuban or Iranian?

Surtur
I guess I don't care much either way. I just toss my pennies in a jar and whenever it's fully I take it to a coinstar and get cash for them.

juggerman
If it costs more to make them than they are worth, then yeah we should get rid of them.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by juggerman
If it costs more to make them than they are worth, then yeah we should get rid of them.

So can we get rid of the government as well?

juggerman
Is that at all the same thing? We're talking about an almost worthless coin here laughing out loud

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
While we at it, lets get rid of the dollar.
So I take it you want to keep the penny around? Why?

riv6672
Originally posted by Omega Vision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tyszHg96KI

I personally never use pennies
Maybe not physically (though i doubt that), but as a unit, you do. Prices incorporate the penny.
Anyway, i say keep them. I miss the $2 bill, too.

Tattoos N Scars
Pennies could probably be done away with. As Omega mentioned, their only purpose seems to be for exact change. They can't be used in soda machines and really nothing costs a penny these days. Sales tax could be calculated and rung up to the nearest nickle to avoid giving back incorrect change.

riv6672
Never happen.

http://m.livescience.com/33045-why-do-most-prices-end-in-99-cents-.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_pricing

Ending a price in .99 is based on the theory that, because we read from left to right, the first digit of the price resonates with us the most, Hibbett explained. That's why shoppers are more likely to buy a product for $4.99 than an identical one for $5 the item that starts with a 4 just seems like a better deal than the one that starts with 5.

That sales tactic isnt going away, so, by default, neither is the penny.

Tattoos N Scars
Originally posted by riv6672
Never happen.

http://m.livescience.com/33045-why-do-most-prices-end-in-99-cents-.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_pricing

Ending a price in .99 is based on the theory that, because we read from left to right, the first digit of the price resonates with us the most, Hibbett explained. That's why shoppers are more likely to buy a product for $4.99 than an identical one for $5 the item that starts with a 4 just seems like a better deal than the one that starts with 5.

True, but you're not buying it for .99 or 4.99. You still pay sales tax which changes the amount. That can be modified to the nearest nickel, i would think.

riv6672
Maybe so, maybe no, that was just

http://www.ptrradio.com/Portals/PTR/MyTwoCents.jpg

-Pr-
When I lived in Canada they did it and it wasn't the end of the world. I see no issue with getting rid of them and saving a bit of money.

riv6672

Mindship
No, I like Penny. Just reveal her last name, pre-Hochsteader.

Re: the coin: get rid of it only if prices are rounded to the nearest nickel.

Bardock42
I'd say, **** it, let's get rid of up to and including the nickel!

It's xyz!
The U.K. Has a 1p 2p and 5p in circulation and they're bothersome and tedious. Getting rid of them would be good.

10p is a 10th of a pound, 20p is a 5th of a pound and 50p is half a pound. I don't know if a quarter is better than a 5th, but it makes more sense to me than to have 100th of a pound in circulation.

The U.K. Has already gotten rid of half pennies, threepence, sixpence, tithe, farthing, crown, shilling etc. There's no debate.

riv6672
Originally posted by It's xyz!
There's no debate.
Democracy FTW.

It's xyz!
Originally posted by riv6672
Democracy FTW. **** democracy.

riv6672
**** you.

One Big Mob
Originally posted by -Pr-
When I lived in Canada they did it and it wasn't the end of the world. I see no issue with getting rid of them and saving a bit of money. I agree. When Pr lived in Canada they had no pennies.

Problem is that when Pr lived in Canada they still charge your debit and credit in the pennies. Which wasn't a huge deal for Pr, but tedious nonetheless. Another issue he found is it causes you to pay zero attention if you pay with money. He didn't know what to do with himself to say the least

Esau Cairn
Yeah we got rid of our 1 & 2 cent coins a long time ago.
Then we converted $1 & $2 notes into coins...then eventually converted all our paper notes into plastic.

Best thing about plastic notes is that they survive the wash if you accidentally leave them in your pocket.

riv6672
Originally posted by One Big Mob
I agree. When Pr lived in Canada they had no pennies.

Problem is that when Pr lived in Canada they still charge your debit and credit in the pennies. Which wasn't a huge deal for Pr, but tedious nonetheless. Another issue he found is it causes you to pay zero attention if you pay with money. He didn't know what to do with himself to say the least
Well, at that point hexwas committed, though...
http://previews.123rf.com/images/vepar5/vepar51204/vepar5120400583/12981443-handwriting-blackboard-writings-In-for-a-penny-in-for-a-pound-Stock-Photo.jpg

One Big Mob
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Yeah we got rid of our 1 & 2 cent coins a long time ago.
Then we converted $1 & $2 notes into coins...then eventually converted all our paper notes into plastic.

Best thing about plastic notes is that they survive the wash if you accidentally leave them in your pocket. When they first introduced the monopoly money they used to give out extra to Pr a lot.
Now they're incredibly careful about that.

I still got some crisp old 20s though,, when they kind of resembled American money. None of the money from pre plastic though.

Esau Cairn
When I visited California, that's the weirdest thing I found was the paper notes...all the same size & colour.

I'm just thinking of the hassle or confusion when you're in a darkened club or bar & you're trying to pay for something.
I guess it's just one of those things that you get used to...

It's xyz!
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
When I visited California, that's the weirdest thing I found was the paper notes...all the same size & colour.

I'm just thinking of the hassle or confusion when you're in a darkened club or bar & you're trying to pay for something.
I guess it's just one of those things that you get used to... I agree, the verisimilitude of us currency notes are baffling.

In the uk we have different sizes and colours, but design is consistent.

Canada has the worst money.

Bardock42
...verisimilitude...

I don't think that word means what you think it means...

It's xyz!
Originally posted by Bardock42
I don't think that word means what you think it means... it came up in autocorrect. I kept it in.

Sue me.

Slay
I agree, the verisimilitude of us currency notes are baffling.

In the uk we have different sizes and colours, but design is consistent.

Canada has the worst money. Originally posted by Bardock42
I don't think that word means what you think it means... Originally posted by It's xyz!
it came up in autocorrect. I kept it in.

Sue me.
lol to the power of 10.

Surtur
Originally posted by Bardock42
I don't think that word means what you think it means...

It sounds like the name of one of the disciplines in Vampire the Masquerade.

Van Hohenheim
I think the current monetary system is pretty outdated. We need new ways to exchange value, that's compact, efficient, save, and long lasting.
And just so people don't say I suggest but don't support:
I don't know why but I think energy is the key to the future, even in the monetary system. I'm envisioning a small device that stores energy. So instead of exchanging metals and paper, we exchange energy, pure energy. Energy would also have so many other uses, if we develop cars, houses, devices, to synchronize with the type of devise where we store energy it can either power or supply our money source (the devise).

P.S. Patent pending.

Esau Cairn
How are you supposed to proposition a hooker with energy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.