Would you walk out on Heaven?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Assuming you had a choice in the matter, would you walk out on Heaven (or paradise, or other applicable term) if it conflicted with your pre established ideology?
With all the different religions out there, i was curious.

Say you believe in religion A, have spent all your life denying B-Z, die, and it turns out religion H is the one true religion.
That religion's god doesnt hold it against you though, and welcomes you into the fold.
Do you stay, or leave, and in leaving not know your eternal fate (could be that religion's corresponding hell, could be disembodied spirit here in earth, could be nothingness. You just dont know)?

Surtur
Depends on what you consider heaven. See I always really liked how heaven is portrayed is 'Supernatural'. Each person has their own little heaven because each persons idea of heaven is different.

Thus if heaven is a place like that instead of just some standard generic place with puffy clouds and rainbows I would choose to go into heaven, even though I don't believe it exists.

Though I mean I guess if there is a hell and it is..well, hell, then even the shitty cloud heaven would be preferable. Since you said we don't know where we'll end up if we choose to leave heaven I'd guess I'd choose it regardless, but if it was one of the boring heavens I'd try to spice it up, get some booze and weed in there. I mean to me if heaven exists I should actually be able to do monstrous amounts of cocaine and heroin without any ill effects.

Mindship
This reminds me of: if Jesus returned looking very different from his popular Renaissance depiction, would people believe him (or her)? Or would they cling to their expectations?

In any event, to respond to your question: I'd probably stay.

riv6672
^^^yeah, you're touching on what i'm getting at.
Would a hardcore Catholic stay if heaven/god turned out to be some sort of say african deity or a pantheon of asian celestials etc?

Personally i'm not overly religious but, i'd take an express elevator the unknown fate, if allah showed up to greet me.

TethAdamTheRock
From my understanding, Jesus made heaven soley from the entirety of our minds (what we like and why we like them). So how could you walk out of heaven?

riv6672
If you dont want to go by the OP stips, then dont. thumb up

Flyattractor
Going by the OP, if I got there and found out it was run by some really DISTUSTING Diety...like The Clintons and the Democrats (HA!) Well. It would depend on where else there would be to hang for all ETERNITY!

I might be able to handle the Hanging outside the gates like in the Dogma Movie.

riv6672
Yeah, the alternative is unknown.
You'd have no idea what ditching Clinton democratic heaven would get you.

Surtur
Originally posted by Mindship
This reminds me of: if Jesus returned looking very different from his popular Renaissance depiction, would people believe him (or her)? Or would they cling to their expectations?

In any event, to respond to your question: I'd probably stay.

I'd wonder if people would believe him even if he looked exactly like you'd expect Jesus to look.

riv6672
In today's world? More likely he'd be called an alien.

Astner
Originally posted by riv6672
In today's world? More likely he'd be called an alien.
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Jmanghan
I'd want to be able to see all my old family and friends who've passed, and I'd want them to be just who they were, nothing more, nothing less.

I'd probably become horribly depressed if my grandmother passed away, and I went to meet her up in heaven, and she turned out to be a vision of what I wanted her to be, agreed with everything that I said.

I don't want a perfect friend or family member, in this life or the next.

I'd rather die a million times over then feel like what I knew was a lie.

To answer your question, if it wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I got to keep my memories of my past life, and got to talk to that God. (Considering he gave me a choice, he must be a cool dude).

Btw, even Allah doesn't say "Kill all the people who disagree with our beliefs".

All Gods, excluding mythology Gods, have at least some compassion.

...Cept Satan, but as I've pointed out before, there are different beliefs of Satanism in the first place.

Mindset
I'd ask to speak to the manager.

riv6672
Sure he does, because he sucks.
Even if everyone i'd ever loved was in his domain, i'd opt out given the option. I want no part of a "god" like that.

Which is the point of my question. Would you put your beliefs to the side if eternity was on the line, or would you stick to them.

Bardock42
I can answer that my beliefs regarding the existence of God would not be a deciding factor in the decision of whether to leave or not.

It's xyz!
Heaven sounds like Hotel California.

riv6672
Originally posted by Bardock42
I can answer that my beliefs regarding the existence of God would not be a deciding factor in the decision of whether to leave or not.
I wasnt really targeting the question at atheists, but thanks.
My question wasnt about the existence OF god, but the existence of a different god than the one the person worshipped.

Bardock42
Hmm, yeah, that I can not answer.

What about you? Sounded like you would if it was Allah,but what's the line? Hindu gods, different Christian gods, etc?

riv6672
Nope, just allah. **** allah.

Jmanghan
Sure he does, because he sucks.
Even if everyone i'd ever loved was in his domain, i'd opt out given the option. I want no part of a "god" like that.

Which is the point of my question. Would you put your beliefs to the side if eternity was on the line, or would you stick to them. No he doesn't. I'm a christian, but there's no god that promotes murdering people who disagree with their beliefs.

Crazy people like Osama Bin Laden and ISIS take it out on context to further their own motives.

riv6672
Its nice that you believe that but i dont care.

Jmanghan
Its nice that you believe that but i dont care. Its fact, not fiction.

Its not too hard to research into these things, don't bring up something if you don't wanna be proven wrong.

riv6672
Dont feel the need to try and prove people wrong.

You're doing a bang up job of answering the spirit of the OP though. thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.