Ranking SW Eras

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Beniboybling
Rank the following Star Wars eras from best to worst based on overall storytelling quality, character and coolness. smile

Tales of the Jedi era
KOTOR era
SWTOR era
New Sith Wars/Bane era
PT/Rise of the Empire era
OT/Rebellion era
NJO era
Legacy era

Selenial
Worst to best: SWTOR SOR, SWTOR ROTHC, SWTOR, SWTOR KOTFE, TOTJ, KOTOR, New Sith Wars, NJO Era, OT Era, PT Era, Legacy Era.

Yeh I broke down SWTOR into parts. They're all shit, I wanted no one to have any doubts about that.

JKBart
Best to worst:

1. NJO
2. Prequel Trilogy, Rise of the Empire
3. Original Trilogy, Rebellion
4. KotOR era - ex aequo the ancient timings from those Xesh comics
5. New Sith Wars, an Bane timing - ex aequo Legacy era
6. Tales of the Jedi era (just barely beneath tbh)
7. SWTOR era

Selenial
Where legacy tho

Edit: Oh, and my list should have PT above Legacy, that was an accident. And New Sith wars lower than Kotor, woops.

JKBart
5. New Sith Wars, an Bane timing - ex aequo Legacy era

hier

Q99
PT/Rise of the Empire era- It has the PTs themselves, which were pretty crap (though not the worst out there), but also multiple good TV shows, lots of good comics, a lot of the stuff involving the CWs is some of my favorite SW stuff. So yea, even though I'm not a big fan of the PT itself, it's my top.

Legacy era -It had two series, both were solid throughout, and I like a lot of the world-building of the era. The era's a fav, and the lack of any stories to drag the average down helps.

KOTOR era- Comic was superb, games not bad either (if a bit superweapon/superforcepower reliant).

OT/Rebellion era- Well, it has the original, it has some famously great stuff like X-wing, it has Rebels, and it also had so so much filler stuff to drag it down on average. Honestly I am just so overwhelmingly familiar with it that I kinda can't help put it in the middle.

New Sith Wars/Bane era- I really love this era for Knight Errant, but I'm frankly stretching it putting it this high. It had pretty much two stories in it, we got fairly small views of the era.

NJO era- Overall too dark and all the long storylines had pacing problems, the Caedus stuff was weak, but did have some cool ideas and stories and I really liked a number of the characters of the timeframe. If one includes earlier stuff of the next-gen arguably rises some.

SWTOR era- Suffers from video game 'threat treadmill,' stuff, adds so many super sith it can get a bit silly... it has some good stories, but plenty of eh ones.

Tales of the Jedi era -It had some good stories, but a lot was kinda a mess, and the force's take with so many artifacts and spells didn't feel too SW-y, and it combined 'superweapon of the week' with 'force power of the week.' This may be harsh, but I do blame it for kicking off some of the EU's bad habits, and the rejection of lightsabers in favor of esoteric force powers took a long time to kick.

Beniboybling
Nyice. My ranking:

#1 PT/Rise of the Empire
#2 OT/Rebellion era
#3 KOTOR era
#4 Legacy era
#5 SWTOR era
#6 New Sith Wars era
#7 Tales of the Jedi era
#8 NJO era

The_Tempest
ROTE/PT
NJO
KOTOR
OT

TOTJ?

everything else sucks.

Col. Valerian
NJO
KOTOR
TOTJ
PT
New Sith Wars
OT

I enjoy SWTOR, but in terms of storytelling quality, it sucks.

Slowpoke
Tales of the Jedi era
PT/Rise of the Empire era
OT/Rebellion era
KOTOR era
SWTOR era
New Sith Wars/Bane era
Legacy era
Post RotJ era(before legacy)

Beniboybling
Such a range in opinion. smile

Slowpoke
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Such a range in opinion. smile

I dislike the post RotJ-Legacy era because of the inconsistency and endless major conflicts, the big three keep carrying the savior job on their 70s.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Sounds like SWTOR. smile

Slowpoke
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Sounds like SWTOR. smile
We got the Dread Masters, Revan and the Emperor, two of them were set up in the beginning. The real problem is KOTFE's disconnection.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Q99
PT/Rise of the Empire era- It has the PTs themselves, which were pretty crap (though not the worst out there), but also multiple good TV shows, lots of good comics, a lot of the stuff involving the CWs is some of my favorite SW stuff. So yea, even though I'm not a big fan of the PT itself, it's my top.

Legacy era -It had two series, both were solid throughout, and I like a lot of the world-building of the era. The era's a fav, and the lack of any stories to drag the average down helps.

KOTOR era- Comic was superb, games not bad either (if a bit superweapon/superforcepower reliant).

OT/Rebellion era- Well, it has the original, it has some famously great stuff like X-wing, it has Rebels, and it also had so so much filler stuff to drag it down on average. Honestly I am just so overwhelmingly familiar with it that I kinda can't help put it in the middle.

New Sith Wars/Bane era- I really love this era for Knight Errant, but I'm frankly stretching it putting it this high. It had pretty much two stories in it, we got fairly small views of the era.

NJO era- Overall too dark and all the long storylines had pacing problems, the Caedus stuff was weak, but did have some cool ideas and stories and I really liked a number of the characters of the timeframe. If one includes earlier stuff of the next-gen arguably rises some.

SWTOR era- Suffers from video game 'threat treadmill,' stuff, adds so many super sith it can get a bit silly... it has some good stories, but plenty of eh ones.

Tales of the Jedi era -It had some good stories, but a lot was kinda a mess, and the force's take with so many artifacts and spells didn't feel too SW-y, and it combined 'superweapon of the week' with 'force power of the week.' This may be harsh, but I do blame it for kicking off some of the EU's bad habits, and the rejection of lightsabers in favor of esoteric force powers took a long time to kick.

You disgust me, all around.

Except for having the PT/ROTE era at number one. Good job, there.

Legacy is a shameless rehash. Wyyrlok was prolly the best thing about that series; Ostrander should have had the balls to kill of Krayt and carry on with him.

I tend to divorce LOTF and FOTJ, which do indeed suck, from NJO, which was by and large excellent. A fresh new enemy, a new generation that actually accomplished something without tossing the old guard out entirely, and Nom Anor, who's one of the best Star Wars EU characters ever.

KOTOR is an OT/PT homage done right. Malak is a great Sith, the Revan twist is superb, and the Star Forge is the only superweapon worth naming after the Death Star.

Col. Valerian
Yeah when I first played KOTOR I was honestly immersed by the story.

Q99
Originally posted by The_Tempest

Legacy is a shameless rehash. Wyyrlok was prolly the best thing about that series; Ostrander should have had the balls to kill of Krayt and carry on with him.

Not really, Legacy mixes a lot of stuff up (Cade is pretty different than prior protags, the Jedi being in hiding but actually preparing to strike back is good, the mere existence of the Imperial Knights and Fel Empire, etc.), and the three-way conflict is something you don't see very often.

Also don't forget Ania Solo's series, which is quite solid too and handles things from a different angle, with the non-force-user as the star, the Jedi/Republic on top for a change, and confronting sith infiltration.

It does have a good twist and such, Revan's story is definitely an interesting one, but the general setting setup is a lot closer to the movies than Legacy was.

"Two sith with a superweapon and an empire full of star destroyer lookalikes...."

Trocity
Originally posted by Q99
Not really, Legacy mixes a lot of stuff up (Cade is pretty different than prior protags, the Jedi being in hiding but actually preparing to strike back is good, the mere existence of the Imperial Knights and Fel Empire, etc.), and the three-way conflict is something you don't see very often.

thumb up

The Jedi turned bounty hunter/death stick addict is unique, and Cade is a badass protagonist. He isn't a whiner like certain other SW heroes, he taps into the dark side, etc.

I agree with your other points too, Legacy was a very unique series, except I didn't like the second series even close to as much. It was a big drop in quality to me.

Q99
Originally posted by Trocity

I agree with your other points too, Legacy was a very unique series, except I didn't like the second series even close to as much. It was a big drop in quality to me.

It was a different type of story to be sure. Less worldbuilding, more focused on specific characters, smaller scope (if they didn't have time constraints due to the license switching to Disney, we'd have gotten more on what else was going on). I like Legacy 1 more, but I do really like Ania, AG, and Jao Assam.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by The_Tempest
the Revan twist is superb.
Eh, even without knowing how BioWare tells stories, you could see that one from a mile away. And I was, what, eight then? Suburb isn't how you describe that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.