Grievous vs. CW Maul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rebel95
Sabers only

Syndicate
Grievous.

Kurk
Grievous for sure

quanchi112
Maul.

Kurk
Originally posted by quanchi112
Maul. Reasons? Or will you just admit that you are inherently biased when it comes to Maul threads?

MythLord
Either way or Grievous.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Kurk
Reasons? Or will you just admit that you are inherently biased when it comes to Maul threads? He is vastly superior skill wise to Grievous who was unable to keep up with Kenobi for long. Maul always had Kenobi's number skill wise with sabers. This isn't hard to figure out.

The Ellimist
Maul. Grievous was tooled by Kit Fisto and Obi Wan, and suggested to be inferior to Cin Drallig.

Kurk
He is vastly superior skill wise to Grievous who was unable to keep up with Kenobi for long. Maul always had Kenobi's number skill wise with sabers. This isn't hard to figure out.
SoD says otherwise.

Kenobi and Fisto both had to rely on their force powers to get the upper-hand on Grievous.

Syndicate
He is vastly superior skill wise to Grievous who was unable to keep up with Kenobi for long. Maul always had Kenobi's number skill wise with sabers. This isn't hard to figure out.

Grievous stonewalled Mace Windu whilst hindered and Obi Wan's form was stated to be perfectly suited to fighting Grievous. Obi Wan himself also pressured Dooku to the point he dare not attack. Fisto's form is also well suited for combating Grievous given its purpose in fighting multiple opponents and this was Grievous early on in the war. Maul only ever managed to get the better of Kenobi in sabers when he had unbalanced him and that was before Kenobi's prime. Not seeing the skill disparity.

Emperordmb
Grievous fought Windu for a single exchange of blows. Their duel was very brief

Syndicate
We don't know how long their exchange lasted actually though even if it was only a brief clash Mace's inability to make any headway whatsoever against an immobile Grievous is telling.

Emperordmb
It literally lasted as long as it took Fisto to make eight strikes.

Syndicate
Where'd you get that idea from?

Emperordmb
That single exchange between Windu and Grievous lasted as long as it took Fisto to take out two magnaguards, and he was cutting a limb off with every strike, so...

Syndicate
Originally posted by Emperordmb
That single exchange between Windu and Grievous lasted as long as it took Fisto to take out two magnaguards, and he was cutting a limb off with every strike, so...

Can you explain to me why you believe it only lasted as long as it took for Kit Fisto to take down the magnaguards?

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Syndicate
Can you explain to me why you believe it only lasted as long as it took for Kit Fisto to take down the magnaguards?
Because the two fights begin at the same time and right after Fisto kills them Mace BFRs Grievous.

Syndicate
Because the two fights begin at the same time and right after Fisto kills them Mace BFRs Grievous.

"To the rear of the car, where Grievous's pair of MagnaGuards had made the mistake of pitting themselves against Kit Fisto, the Nautolan's blade was a cyclone of blazing blue light. Resistant to the energy outpourings of a lightsaber, the phrik alloy staffs were potent weapons, but like any any weapon they needed to find their target, and Kit simply wasn't allowing that. In moves a Twi'lek dancer might envy, he spun around the guards, claiming a limb from both with each rotation."

Nowhere does it mention Fisto claiming a limb with a single strike. Aside from that it mentions that the magnaguards and Fisto were further to the rear of the car and as we can see in the passage where Mace and Grievous engage Grievous only ignites his blade from the position he's standing in before his engagement with Mace begins. The magnaguards likely move forward to engage Fisto.

EmperorSidious2
Grevious.

SunRazer
I'm assuming that "with each rotation" means with each strike, given that his moves were being compared to a dancer's.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by SunRazer
I'm assuming that "with each rotation" means with each strike, given that his moves were being compared to a dancer's.
Yeah and if it's a limb from both with each one the exchange may have lasted even shorter than I thought.

Syndicate
Originally posted by SunRazer

Lol. It means every time he dances around the magnaguards he takes a limb off not every strike.

SunRazer
Well, that does make more sense. Kudos to me for skimming through it.

Not that it would take long for somebody of Kit's speed class to dance around them.

Emperordmb
well yeah, while he's in a constant spinning motion

Syndicate
Ngl this is some Reti tier logic and some Kit Fisto tier dancing around the quote. :P

Emperordmb
So either it took as much time as it would take Fisto to spin around four times or circle the guards four times, either way it's not much time, and Windu in ROTS refers to the fight as being only a single exchange anyways.

Syndicate
Fair enough I'm just saying that it wouldn't make sense for it to have ended in the time it took Fisto to accomplish 8 strikes given Mace and Grievous aren't THAT much faster then Fisto and their fight is described to have gone on long enough for each of them to prod and test eachother's defenses along with Grievous to analyze Mace's form and replicate it.

Emperordmb
Fair enough I'm just saying that it wouldn't make sense for it to have ended in the time it took Fisto to accomplish 8 strikes given Mace and Grievous aren't THAT much faster then Fisto and their fight is described to have gone on long enough for each of them to prod and test eachother's defenses along with Grievous to analyze Mace's form and replicate it.
Except Mace specifically notes in ROTS that its remarkable that Grievous analyzed his style from only a single exchange, ie. in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Syndicate
Except Mace specifically notes in ROTS that its remarkable that Grievous analyzed his style from only a single exchange, ie. in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Granted. I'm just pointing out that it wouldn't have been as brief as you had previously suggested.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Kurk
SoD says otherwise.

Kenobi and Fisto both had to rely on their force powers to get the upper-hand on Grievous. Kenobi didn't have to use his force powers to take out lightsabers. Grievous tried fleeing.

Syndicate
Kenobi didn't have to use his force powers to take out lightsabers. Grievous tried fleeing.

Should be noted that his form and fighting style is noted to be perfect for combating Grievous.

quanchi112
Grievous stonewalled Mace Windu whilst hindered and Obi Wan's form was stated to be perfectly suited to fighting Grievous. Obi Wan himself also pressured Dooku to the point he dare not attack. Fisto's form is also well suited for combating Grievous given its purpose in fighting multiple opponents and this was Grievous early on in the war. Maul only ever managed to get the better of Kenobi in sabers when he had unbalanced him and that was before Kenobi's prime. Not seeing the skill disparity. Windu IMO would decimate him. It was brief. Maul took him on multiple times in the clone wars and always looked superior. Mauk had the mental acumen to unbalance but Grievous didn't have the ability to rattle his mental game.

Syndicate
Windu IMO would decimate him. It was brief. Maul took him on multiple times in the clone wars and always looked superior. Mauk had the mental acumen to unbalance but Grievous didn't have the ability to rattle his mental game.

Considering Mace was unable to pierce his guard during their engagement and desired to end to the confrontation quickly I doubt he'd defeat him quickly if at all let alone decimate him.

Maul took him on two times in the SoD comic. In one they briefly exchanged blows before Grievous landed a kick and in the other they briefly exchanged blows before Maul landed a push. Grievous and Maul weren't trying to psychologically undermine each other...

quanchi112
Considering Mace was unable to pierce his guard during their engagement and desired to end to the confrontation quickly I doubt he'd defeat him quickly if at all let alone decimate him.

Maul took him on two times in the SoD comic. In one they briefly exchanged blows before Grievous landed a kick and in the other they briefly exchanged blows before Maul landed a push. Grievous and Maul weren't trying to psychologically undermine each other... So you don't despite Windu getting the drop on Sheev ?

Maul was busy focusing on what else was around him. I believe in a one on one duel he'd disarm him similarly to what Kenobi had done in the film.

Syndicate
So you don't despite Windu getting the drop on Sheev ?

Maul was busy focusing on what else was around him. I believe in a one on one duel he'd disarm him similarly to what Kenobi had done in the film.

I don't think Mace at his base level is equivalent to his amped incarnation, no.

Given there's no evidence for that I'm going to have to disagree.

quanchi112
I don't think Mace at his base level is equivalent to his amped incarnation, no.

Given there's no evidence for that I'm going to have to disagree.

Mace looked superior to Kenobi though who was superior to Grievous against Jango Fett.

Feel free.

Syndicate
Mace looked superior to Kenobi though who was superior to Grievous against Jango Fett.

Feel free.

Kenobi lost to Dooku in AotC and by RotS was pressuring him enough that Dooku dared not launch an offensive against him.

I don't think their respective performances against a bounty hunter before each of their primes should be used to judge their respective overall capabilities especially when there were stated circumstances to each of their fights against Grievous and he's the character we're evaluating for this thread.

Yep.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.