Superman/Silver Surfer (levels)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
http://i.imgur.com/ytGnz2m.jpg

My opinion.
While there is some overlap, and comparisons can/have been made, these characters are the kings of two vastly different powers sets.
One is THE flying brick, the other THE matter/energy manipulator. Each can do things the other cant. So:

1. Do you just plain agree or disagree with my opinion? Please explain.

2. What characters do you think fall into which level?

For example, i wouldnt call Captain Atom a Superman level character, i'd call him a Silver Surfer level character.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by riv6672
One is THE flying brick

Pr will go crazy when he sees this... big grin

thumb up

riv6672
Why?

Also: why not (answer my OP questions)?

StiltmanFTW
He views the character as super-intelligent, highly skilled (for HH tier's standards anyway) and so versatile that calling him a flying brick is an insult.

I do agree with you, though. Called him that myself. We see how he operates, there's no denying he'll choose to smash through the wall instead of limiting the collateral damage and surprising the enemy by going temp intangible and appearing behind them, for example.

No, that's a job for Surfer, who regularly displays new powers or finds new uses for his old ones... like treating a moon as his new surfboard.

Flying bricks: Superman, Hyperion & other Super-clones, Namor, Jessica Jones, Ms. Marvel/Classic Rogue...

Basically anyone who prefers to brawl.

Energy manipulators: Surfer, Cap Atom (good choice here), Graviton, Magneto

All super-strong (or can amp themselves to be), but rely on other powers.

riv6672
Thanks, Stilt. thumb up

And, sorry Pr. wink

Pillow Biter
A 'level' is not a 'type'. The former is quantitative; the latter qualitative.

Surfer and Superman are typically on a comparable power level. However, Superman has more crazy highs where he is on perhaps another level.
In terms of 'type', they are of course vastly different.

-Pr-
I just love it when people talk for me...

riv6672
I do to, except when they put words in my mouth.

You can nit pick the wording or answer the spirit of the thread, your call. I know Superman is a touchy subject...for some. wink

Surtur
For me when I think of the term "flying brick" I just think of a super strong guy who can fly. Which Superman is much more then that yes.

The problem with Superman vs Silver Surfer is the Silver Surfer tends to have the powers of a flying brick...added onto a whole list of other stuff having to do with energy manipulation.

You could almost say that Silver Surfer can more or less do anything Superman can..plus a bunch of other shit. Some people really don't like to hear that, but meh.

riv6672
I hear you.

Still, a flying brick is what Superman basically is. THE flying brick. With energy projection, super senses, speed...
I dont feel i need to jerk him off any more than that to molify posters here and get some responses.

I'm not looking to put one character over another here, just duscuss the fact that they have different power sets (thanks for your response!), are THE guys of those power sets, and divvy up other characters into their camps.

Surtur
He is the epitome of it though, so he essentially has a super everything. Super strength, super speed, super senses, super hearing, super whatever.

Superman is the swiss army knife of flying bricks.

riv6672
Exactly.

But again, this isnt the "how great is Superman" thread, there's a whole forum for that.

This is the

http://i.imgur.com/ytGnz2m.jpg

My opinion.
While there is some overlap, and comparisons can/have been made, these characters are the kings of two vastly different powers sets.
One is THE flying brick, the other THE matter/energy manipulator. Each can do things the other cant. So:

1. Do you just plain agree or disagree with my opinion? Please explain.

2. What characters do you think fall into which level?

For example, i wouldnt call Captain Atom a Superman level character, i'd call him a Silver Surfer level character.

Thread.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by -Pr-
I just love it when people talk for me...

love

You and me. Tomorrow. Same hotel as usual. K?

zom1967
When they where in a Dc/Marvel crossover superman was damed impressed by the Surfer`s ability to restore metropolis to it`s real size.But the surfer never hardly uses his super speed like superman to beat an opponent(the Surfer should be able to rain a 1,000 blows on Thor easy,yet it never happens).Superman seems stronger,the surfer a better energy manipulator.So these two would be an awesome match up,Surfer wins 6/10 only because I`m a Marvel zombie.

riv6672
Uh huh.
Not the thread point at all but thanks.

zom1967
If you don`t think so you can kiss my ass!

riv6672
I could do more than kiss it. I'm a black man with a big dick. I'd make you whistle when you fart. thumb up

zom1967
You like black men with big dicks!Dude you are on the wrong site,I think you are looking for www.riv6672takesitinthebackdoor.com

Surtur
Exactly.

But again, this isnt the "how great is Superman" thread, there's a whole forum for that.

This is the

Thread.

Okay I'm confused because I was agreeing with you about him being THE flying brick and all that. I wasn't just randomly trying to say how awesome Superman is.

TethAdamTheRock
Captain Atom has Surfers Powers And Superman Level Strength Speed and Durability. At least in Injustice DCnU

Surtur
Originally posted by zom1967
When they where in a Dc/Marvel crossover superman was damed impressed by the Surfer`s ability to restore metropolis to it`s real size.But the surfer never hardly uses his super speed like superman to beat an opponent(the Surfer should be able to rain a 1,000 blows on Thor easy,yet it never happens).Superman seems stronger,the surfer a better energy manipulator.So these two would be an awesome match up,Surfer wins 6/10 only because I`m a Marvel zombie.

Surfer is supposed to more or less be a pacifist. But the real explanation is just PIS. There are a few times he does use his speed in the way he realistically should, but he doesn't always. But he has just so many ways of dealing with situations I can see why writers don't always have him use it.

If you see how easily he destroys planets with energy, you'd think if he really wanted to he could infuse his body with enough cosmic strength to surpass Superman.

Surtur
Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock
Captain Atom has Surfers Powers And Superman Level Strength Speed and Durability. At least in Injustice DCnU

Eh, normally Cap isn't on Surfer's level. Though when he's in the Quantum Field or whatever the hell it is, he certainly surpasses him. His Monarch versions also are pretty potent.

I don't think normally he is above even Superman..I would see the fight more or less going like it did in the JLU animated series.

ju_h9KUju4w

jrodslam
Originally posted by Surtur
I don't think normally he is above even Superman..I would see the fight more or less going like it did in the JLU animated series.

ju_h9KUju4w

The 2 fights i hated the most in JLU was that one and Supes vs Billy(Shazam).

Cap's punches alone would do decent damage to Superman. Hes in that range. The fact that he amped them to red sun punches shouldve done even more. I cringe everytime i see those fights. Supes didnt even look like he was in battle.

Surtur
Originally posted by jrodslam

Cap's punches alone would do decent damage to Superman. Hes in that range. The fact that he amped them to red sun punches shouldve done even more. I cringe everytime i see those fights. Supes didnt even look like he was in battle.

Red sun energy didn't sap him as quickly as it does in perhaps the comics. Plus he's f*cking Superman. That is the thing, even weakened he is *still* better then you. Captain Marvel found that out as well. In some ways it was just awesome. I guess because it made up for his being nerfed in the first 2 seasons of the Justice League cartoon.

It's especially hilarious when he beats down Captain Marvel because Cap looks all messed up at the end and Supes only really gets damaged by magic lightning to the chest, but before that even his hair wasn't messed up and Captain Marvel was obviously hurt.

It's how I like to see him written. His best super power is "f*ck you I'm Superman".

jrodslam
Red sun energy didn't sap him as quickly as it does in perhaps the comics. Plus he's f*cking Superman. That is the thing, even weakened he is *still* better then you. Captain Marvel found that out as well. In some ways it was just awesome. I guess because it made up for his being nerfed in the first 2 seasons of the Justice League cartoon.

It's especially hilarious when he beats down Captain Marvel because Cap looks all messed up at the end and Supes only really gets damaged by magic lightning to the chest, but before that even his hair wasn't messed up and Captain Marvel was obviously hurt.

It's how I like to see him written. His best super power is "f*ck you I'm Superman".

Haha! I get you, but in actuality, it shouldnt be that way. Now with the JLU, i did understand that Cap was a Superman fanboy and didnt really want to fight initially. But yea, they made his ass waay to "super" in those 2 fights. I was looking at them like "what the hell?". Its one thing if their strength isnt in the ball park, then i could see him overpowering them. But that coupled with the weakness exploit and thes not even scratched or bleeding? C'mon man. laughing out loud

abhilegend
For me when I think of the term "flying brick" I just think of a super strong guy who can fly. Which Superman is much more then that yes.

The problem with Superman vs Silver Surfer is the Silver Surfer tends to have the powers of a flying brick...added onto a whole list of other stuff having to do with energy manipulation.

You could almost say that Silver Surfer can more or less do anything Superman can..plus a bunch of other shit. Some people really don't like to hear that, but meh.
Haha, no. Surfer has superstrength but he wishes he was anywhere near Superman.

Just this week Thing got better of him in h2h.

erm

-Pr-

You can nit pick the wording or answer the spirit of the thread, your call. I know Superman is a touchy subject...for some. wink

I was talking to Stilt more than you.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
love

You and me. Tomorrow. Same hotel as usual. K?

You know it.

Eh, normally Cap isn't on Surfer's level. Though when he's in the Quantum Field or whatever the hell it is, he certainly surpasses him. His Monarch versions also are pretty potent.

ju_h9KUju4w

Thanks for watching my (admittedly rocky) channel. thumb up

lawest9
When they where in a Dc/Marvel crossover superman was damed impressed by the Surfer`s ability to restore metropolis to it`s real size.But the surfer never hardly uses his super speed like superman to beat an opponent(the Surfer should be able to rain a 1,000 blows on Thor easy,yet it never happens).Superman seems stronger,the surfer a better energy manipulator.So these two would be an awesome match up,Surfer wins 6/10 only because I`m a Marvel zombie. Surfer can't rain a thousand blows on anyone because his speed is in his board, not him.

Genii96
By level,both are at the same Level. By type,surfer can do what superman can(generally speaking off course,not that their physical strength are equal) and has tons of other powers added on,

riv6672
Okay I'm confused because I was agreeing with you about him being THE flying brick and all that. I wasn't just randomly trying to say how awesome Superman is.
Yeah, i just meant that seems to be what everyone wants threads in the Vs forum to be.
My calling Supes a flying brick isn't an insult, and instead of just replying to the thread, its "your wording is not apropos to the greatness that is..." Yadda yadda.

Genii96
You should be used to that by now,lolz

riv6672
Originally posted by Genii96
You should be used to that by now,lolz
stick out tongue

Silver Surfer level (type) characters?

http://static2.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/7/73958/2784846-2440703_captain_atom_008.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11116/111169663/3975577-drmanhattan_hulk.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/38/4b/85/384b8596150d88e35698b5702ec394a4.jpg

http://static2.comicvine.com/uploads/original/1/14487/2809377-takion_001.jpg

jrodslam
stick out tongue

Silver Surfer level (type) characters?

Naw. Only to some extent. I know Firestorm and Atom dont have cosmic awareness. Maybe Super Atom(forgot him name. been too long). Energy/matter manipulation. Also, they arent as durable. Firestorm isnt for sure. Nor as fast. Is the second pic Dr.Manhattan? If so, hed be up there. Id put him above Surfer but hey. Dont know who the last person is.

riv6672
His name is Takion. He was a New God.

And yeah, they dont match SS power for power, but they share more in common with him than Superman, i believe.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by abhilegend

erm

mariofacepalm

riv6672
Yeah abhi started a fun troll thread over at HC with the scans. It kind if segued into a discussion of whether Mike Allred's art is any good.

zom1967
Originally posted by lawest9
Surfer can't rain a thousand blows on anyone because his speed is in his board, not him. Thats an interesting point,I would think he could charge his body with the power cosmic so if his board was going near light speed his body movements would speed up so he could still control his board.But I have no proof of this off the top of my head.however with his varied power set i think he could pull it off.

zom1967
Surfer is supposed to more or less be a pacifist. But the real explanation is just PIS. There are a few times he does use his speed in the way he realistically should, but he doesn't always. But he has just so many ways of dealing with situations I can see why writers don't always have him use it.

If you see how easily he destroys planets with energy, you'd think if he really wanted to he could infuse his body with enough cosmic strength to surpass Superman. I think he could amp his strength to near supes level,and having ben grimm give him a fight is just bad writing.But like you said the writers have a tough time sometimes because of his power set making other characters look good against him.Like with classic supes,it came to the point that they had to de-power him as he was almost impossible to beat.

Surtur
Originally posted by abhilegend

erm

Okay that is some embarrassing shit for Silver Surfer, I'll give you that.

jrodslam
Okay that is some embarrassing shit for Silver Surfer, I'll give you that.

You think so? Surfer isnt known to be the powerhouse slugger. Not saying that he cant be, but its not common for him to be slugging it out with ppl. Thing is no slouch either.

riv6672
Thats an interesting point,I would think he could charge his body with the power cosmic so if his board was going near light speed his body movements would speed up so he could still control his board.But I have no proof of this off the top of my head.however with his varied power set i think he could pull it off.
Common sense alone says you're right. Anyone who's ever driven a car knows this.

Genii96
Didn't surfer KO grimm in the previous issue?

Surtur
You think so? Surfer isnt known to be the powerhouse slugger. Not saying that he cant be, but its not common for him to be slugging it out with ppl. Thing is no slouch either.

I guess it depends on what happened in their encounter. I have no problem believing Thing is more skilled at hand to hand combat. I just don't really think he would be able to really do any damage. Or at least he shouldn't be able to.

When She-Hulk punched him he kind of just stood there. I realize Thing is stronger then her..but he used to be able to absorb a lot of physical damage.

Blue Area Vet

Yes, especially the mods.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
He views the character as super-intelligent, highly skilled (for HH tier's standards anyway) and so versatile that calling him a flying brick is an insult.

I do agree with you, though. Called him that myself. We see how he operates, there's no denying he'll choose to smash through the wall instead of limiting the collateral damage and surprising the enemy by going temp intangible and appearing behind them, for example.

No, that's a job for Surfer, who regularly displays new powers or finds new uses for his old ones... like treating a moon as his new surfboard.

Flying bricks: Superman, Hyperion & other Super-clones, Namor, Jessica Jones, Ms. Marvel/Classic Rogue...

Basically anyone who prefers to brawl.

Energy manipulators: Surfer, Cap Atom (good choice here), Graviton, Magneto

All super-strong (or can amp themselves to be), but rely on other powers.

Surfer is in his own category, not to further piss of Kalians.

Blue Area Vet

If you see how easily he destroys planets with energy, you'd think if he really wanted to he could infuse his body with enough cosmic strength to surpass Superman.

Bingo, please provide some outreach on this matter.

Blue Area Vet

Exactly. The red rays made no difference whatsoever.

Blue Area Vet

Yeah, I don't know WTF that means. Is that like "He's the damn Batman?" I don't speak fanboy. The red rays seemed to be affecting him in the beginning, then the writers said "eff it" in the middle of the fight. More shameless pandering to Superman is all.

riv6672
Fun reads, BaV. thumb up

panthergod
Superman is a brick because he hasn't learned the full extent of his powerset. He had TP shapeshifting and EM powers since the early 40s. Strength is his primary power but the concept of his powerset is "human potential".

riv6672
roll eyes (sarcastic) wopwopwop laughing

ghostman
roll eyes (sarcastic) wopwopwop laughing

youve made your blatant marvel bias obvious on herochat.

riv6672
I've made my blatant amusement at goofs like you and PG obvious everywhere i go, Goofy McGoofington.

If you keep associating with me, thats on you.

ghostman
I've made my blatant amusement at goofs like you and PG obvious everywhere i go, Goofy McGoofington.

If you keep associating with me, thats on you.

oh lord tell me this clown isnt calling somebody a goof with a picture of himself holding a wrestling belt in his signature, PLEASE laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

god youre so corny, im literally getting second hand embarrassment from this. here you are a grown 30 something year old man with a wrestling belt in your sig, calling someone else a goof.......http://i.imgur.com/V4xJW6d.png

riv6672
You know it, Goof.
You're also trying too hard.
And full of shit.
Otherwise you wouldnt be talking to me. Goofs like you cant help but follow me around, which is why i'm awesome and you're not.

ghostman
You know it, Goof.
You're also trying too hard.
And full of shit.
Otherwise you wouldnt be talking to me. Goofs like you cant help but follow me around, which is why i'm awesome and you're not.

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

calling yourself the best poster of 2015 is full of shit.

also, youre a grown ass man in his 30s playing make believe with a wrestling belt.

you lose son, take your loss and move along, you got checked, end of story.

next time you wanna talk shit make sure you dont a have a picture of yourself holding a childrens wrestling belt in your signature with a dusty faded stained grey shirt. next time you wanna talk shit make sure you dont let people know you watch a bunch of men running around in thongs playing pretend. and please, i dont have to try hard with you, believe me laughing laughing laughing laughing

abhilegend
Question should be, is Silver Surfer on Superman's level?

mmm

riv6672
^^^I like someone who steals from the best. wink

riv6672
Originally posted by ghostman
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

calling yourself the best poster of 2015 is full of shit.

also, youre a grown ass man in his 30s playing make believe with a wrestling belt.

you lose son, take your loss and move along, you got checked, end of story.

next time you wanna talk shit make sure you dont a have a picture of yourself holding a childrens wrestling belt in your signature with a dusty faded stained grey shirt. next time you wanna talk shit make sure you dont let people know you watch a bunch of men running around in thongs playing pretend. and please, i dont have to try hard with you, believe me laughing laughing laughing laughing

Well, lets see.
You're a generic poster i wouldnt remember 3 days from now if you never logged on again.
I'm important enough for you to follow on 2 message boards, where your own insecurities make you click on my threads, and respond to my posts, just to tell me how awful i am.

In a medium where not dealing with someone you have issues with is literally as easy as pushing a button...
I come out ahead in every way.
So, by all means please, continue to reply. Entertain me.

Genii96
Bump...is surfer a pseudo-reality warper?

riv6672
Thanks for the bump.

StiltmanFTW
Thanks for the bump.

You owe him $3.50.

riv6672
Done and done.

TethAdamTheRock

ju_h9KUju4w https://comicnewbies.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/captain-atom-on-fighting-3.jpg

Surtur
Okay that's a lone scan of Captain Atom punching Superman. That also does not seem to be post crisis Superman.

TethAdamTheRock
DCnU He died though when wonder woman cut his skin open and his nuclear energy leaked out supreman survived the blast though

Surtur
So what happened after the scan, who won the fight, and how often did Superman use his speed?

ghostman
So what happened after the scan, who won the fight, and how often did Superman use his speed?

its none canon. from the injustice series, also captain atom offed himself i think

TethAdamTheRock
yea

Surtur
Wait are you saying that is from a comic based on the video game?

StiltmanFTW
That comic is doing much better than any other DC title nowadays, though.

riv6672
^^^Creatively?

Genii96
They are overdoing the whole 'dark' supes thing though in injustice

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.