Makashi vs Soresu

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kurk
philosophical debate smile

The Ellimist
The practicality debate depends on the context. The Jedi had reason to favor soresu in the 1000 years of peace and apparent extinction of the Sith given the lack of lightsaber-wielding opponents. Even when the Sith return you're more frequently facing soldiers and droids.

Philosophically soresu's defensive nature probably better symbolizes the Jedi code.

Syndicate
Soresu.

ILS
Originally posted by Kurk
philosophical debate smile Originally posted by Syndicate
Soresu. http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uploads/843/123014a0-6242-0133-0c1d-0e34a4cc753d.gif?

EmperorSidious2
I would take Makashi cause then I still have a defense and I would have a very accurate offense and wouldn't waist energy.

AncientPower
Waste ES2, waste.

Makashi is a form purely dedicated to fencing, it is the gentleman's lightsaber form designed for a single opponent. Soresu is defensive, it reserves energy and the mindset learnt therein keeps a cool logical focus.

The Ellimist
I never understood the "soresu is better against blasters" argument - the sets of techniques needed to defend against projectile weaponry would seemingly be totally distinct from the techniques used in single combat anyway, so why do you have to fuse the two? What about, say, djem so or juyo, who weren't abandoned like makashi but whose primary characteristics were equally unrelated to deflecting blasters?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.