Is it okay to roast people who don't wanna be roasted?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Or is it just plain bullying?

Roasting, for a better term, is pretty much making fun of someone based on their appearance, personality or choices.

It's xyz!
Im sure there was some sort of consent to these things...

Surtur
I'm guessing Jeffrey Dahmer asked himself this question everyday.

Mindset
BOY HE BOUT TO DO IT!

Jmanghan
Originally posted by It's xyz!
Im sure there was some sort of consent to these things... I'm not just talking about Comedy Central roasts, I'm talking if a person walks into a room and gets made fun of based on their appearance or personality.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I'm not just talking about Comedy Central roasts, I'm talking if a person walks into a room and gets made fun of based on their appearance or personality.

Happens to me at work from some people. None of them are mean or even angry about it. Just trying to have a laugh.

You learn, quite early on, that when people make fun of your appearance at work, it is because they feel comfortable enough with you to do so. You should take it as a compliment. They are thinking, "Hey, he's one of us. We can talk to him, casually." If they thought you would go whine to the nearest HR rep, then they would watch what they say.

However, there is a fine line, it would seem, between work-place bullying and just having fun with your coworkers. Some people may actually be harassing you at work. Pay attention: do their insults seem vindictive and strangely personal? Do they single you out, quite often, compared to others?

Let me give you an example:

Harmless insult:
And this guy, right here, over-dresses for everything, including trips to Wal-mart.

Probably not so harmless insult:
Your hairstyle is really lame. Are you trying to look like Justin Bieber?

The first one was an insult thrown at me from one of the datacenter people. But he was overwhelmingly supportive of me, in private, when I hit a very tough time in my personal life. He's just trying to have fun.

But the second one was an insult thrown at me by a manager, at my last job, because I was requiring more responsibility from all of IT to better track and manage their projects. She had become disgruntled and hated me (because she was being forced to be more accountable for the work she was doing). Every chance she got, she tried to insult me regarding my physical appearance. It was rather weird...she actually was trying too hard half the time. But she was also 400lbs, sported a very short Jheri curl, and wore the same overshirt/jacket every single day (including during the summer). But I never lowered myself to making fun of her appearance. But how many times did I want to say, "Do you really have to eat everything you see?" It's childish and mean...

So, tell me, what is the situation at work that is causing you to ask this question? Don't skimp on the details: let it all out. I'm curious. Maybe I can offer some good advice. Maybe I can't and we can say "holy shit" together.

Khazra Reborn
this whole 'bullying' schtick is getting out of control. Don't people just stand up for themselves anymore?

Surtur
I'm not just talking about Comedy Central roasts, I'm talking if a person walks into a room and gets made fun of based on their appearance or personality.

It depends on if its done in good spirits or genuinely mean. If you know the person well it's one thing, but if you aren't good friends with the guy and he walks into a room then no you probably shouldn't start talking shit.

Jmanghan
And I've only ever spoken to you one other time in my entire life.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
this whole 'bullying' schtick is getting out of control. Don't people just stand up for themselves anymore? Tbh, no.

A lot of people are scared of getting the shit kicked out of them.

If Brock Lesnar got in your face, would you "stick up for yourself" knowing he'd probably break your ****ing spine?

I doubt it.

Everybody's scared of someone.

If they put your hands on you, thats the poing where you stick up for yourself, but if that person is 5x your size and just keeps talking shit. Plus, you don't know if that person knows some crazy ass martial art, or if he has a knife with him, or if he's a sociopath.

Sometimes its better to just shut up, especially when the other alternative is dying.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by dadudemon
Happens to me at work from some people. None of them are mean or even angry about it. Just trying to have a laugh.

You learn, quite early on, that when people make fun of your appearance at work, it is because they feel comfortable enough with you to do so. You should take it as a compliment. They are thinking, "Hey, he's one of us. We can talk to him, casually." If they thought you would go whine to the nearest HR rep, then they would watch what they say.

However, there is a fine line, it would seem, between work-place bullying and just having fun with your coworkers. Some people may actually be harassing you at work. Pay attention: do their insults seem vindictive and strangely personal? Do they single you out, quite often, compared to others?

Let me give you an example:

Harmless insult:
And this guy, right here, over-dresses for everything, including trips to Wal-mart.

Probably not so harmless insult:
Your hairstyle is really lame. Are you trying to look like Justin Bieber?

The first one was an insult thrown at me from one of the datacenter people. But he was overwhelmingly supportive of me, in private, when I hit a very tough time in my personal life. He's just trying to have fun.

But the second one was an insult thrown at me by a manager, at my last job, because I was requiring more responsibility from all of IT to better track and manage their projects. She had become disgruntled and hated me (because she was being forced to be more accountable for the work she was doing). Every chance she got, she tried to insult me regarding my physical appearance. It was rather weird...she actually was trying too hard half the time. But she was also 400lbs, sported a very short Jheri curl, and wore the same overshirt/jacket every single day (including during the summer). But I never lowered myself to making fun of her appearance. But how many times did I want to say, "Do you really have to eat everything you see?" It's childish and mean...

So, tell me, what is the situation at work that is causing you to ask this question? Don't skimp on the details: let it all out. I'm curious. Maybe I can offer some good advice. Maybe I can't and we can say "holy shit" together.

Nothing and no one pushed me to ask this question, it just seems like a question that needs to be asked.

quanchi112
laughing out loud

Carry a Rambo sized knife in your back pocket and the next time a Brock Lesnar tries to bully you slit his throat and haul ass out of there.

Robtard
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz108/Leah_kohl/30525528.jpg

Jmanghan
Originally posted by quanchi112
laughing out loud

Carry a Rambo sized knife in your back pocket and the next time a Brock Lesnar tries to bully you slit his throat and haul ass out of there. In all seriousness, Brock Lesnar was a UFC champion and no one on KMC would be able to beat him in a fight.

cdtm
Quan's said slit his throat, not fight him. wink

Like Rick vs Negan. That wasn't no fight.

quanchi112
In all seriousness, Brock Lesnar was a UFC champion and no one on KMC would be able to beat him in a fight. Since when has Brock Lesnar bullied anyone ? Furthermore if it is Brock Lesnar he has money so the best course of action would be to antagonize him to assault you to sue his ass. Yw.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cdtm
Quan's said slit his throat, not fight him. wink

Like Rick vs Negan. That wasn't no fight.

My point was you wouldn't be able to get to his throat in time no matter what any of us tried, he'd likely catch our arms before we even had a chance to move.

@Quan, my point is, a dude of Brock Lesnar size is ****ing with you, odds are you hitting them is only gonna piss them off unless you angle the punch just good enough to KO him, and even then, after her wakes up, you're gonna have an angry Brock Lesnar sized dude who wants to kill you cause you embarrassed him, you can only count on a lucky punch for so long.

Most fights don't just end after a single punch either unless you're lucky and practically the same size as the dude you're fighting.

quanchi112
This all seems very far fetched. I'd personally ko anyone who got on my way because I live by the warrior code. I don't recommend it.

Jmanghan
This all seems very far fetched. I'd personally ko anyone who got on my way because I live by the warrior code. I don't recommend it. I'd pay to see you knock someone out who's Brock Lesnar size, or even someone who is significantly larger then you.

You need the perfect punch, because usually dudes like that have Chins made of Granite.

Khazra Reborn
Tbh, no.

A lot of people are scared of getting the shit kicked out of them.

If Brock Lesnar got in your face, would you "stick up for yourself" knowing he'd probably break your ****ing spine?

I doubt it.

Everybody's scared of someone.

If they put your hands on you, thats the poing where you stick up for yourself, but if that person is 5x your size and just keeps talking shit. Plus, you don't know if that person knows some crazy ass martial art, or if he has a knife with him, or if he's a sociopath.

Sometimes its better to just shut up, especially when the other alternative is dying.

I get what you're saying, but Lesnar is a 300 lb super freak athlete, you're about as likely to run into a person like him as you are to get struck by lightning. But either way, getting beat up is irrelevant, having self respect and standing up for yourself is all that matters in the end.

Raisen
Some people are just too weak for existence

The Lost
Preach, Sephiroth!

Raisen
what is sephiroth

quanchi112
I'd pay to see you knock someone out who's Brock Lesnar size, or even someone who is significantly larger then you.

You need the perfect punch, because usually dudes like that have Chins made of Granite. Next time they step to me they get knocked the eff out.

Esau Cairn
This all seems very far fetched. I'd personally ko anyone who got on my way because I live by the warrior code. I don't recommend it.

LOL
Is that why you get roasted all the time on KMC?
Because we fear your warrior code?

Worst.
Power Ranger.
Ever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.