The Wall Street/Silicon Valley Brain Drain

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Ellimist
I stumbled upon a paper which claims to debunk the idea that the top STEM students tend to take jobs in Finance. Granted, it's looking at the cross-section of MIT students, so it doesn't preclude there being a brain drain of the just-below-the-best (like *average* MIT students) into finance.

IMHO there's probably a big drain into Silicon Valley too. Granted, a lot of important innovations have come out of that industry, but so have a lot of useless Angry Bird renditions. I'm not sure if pushing so many people there is really good for society (I feel like a bit of a hypocrite lol).

On the other hand, you could argue that the economic revenue generated trickles into important things like medical research, and that given the huge potential consequences of even a slight change in market inefficiencies, you'd want to have really smart people running Wall Street. I dunno if they're better off there than actually doing science/engineering.

Discuss.

The Ellimist
up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.