Book Publishing Is Almost as White as the Oscars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stigma

riv6672
Meh.

Some jobs just attract certain types of people.
Publishing attracts white, able-bodied, straight women, basketball attracts athletic, promiscuous black men.

Surtur
Originally posted by riv6672
Meh.

Some jobs just attract certain types of people.
Publishing attracts white, able-bodied, straight women, basketball attracts athletic, promiscuous black men.

The basketball thing is a good point. The NBA is made up of 75% blacks. How do you think people would respond if actors and a bunch of other people began boycotting the NBA due to how underrepresented white folk are in the NBA? Do you think such a boycott would go over well?

Would we have dipshit comedians making jokes like "Ha, this place is blacker then the NBA!". Since we've had them making jokes like "this place is whiter then the oscars".

Flyattractor
Blacks don't like to read. They all bout da Rap Music Yo!!!!!

riv6672
^^^Not this black guy. stick out tongue

riv6672
Originally posted by Surtur
The basketball thing is a good point. The NBA is made up of 75% blacks. How do you think people would respond if actors and a bunch of other people began boycotting the NBA due to how underrepresented white folk are in the NBA? Do you think such a boycott would go over well?

Would we have dipshit comedians making jokes like "Ha, this place is blacker then the NBA!". Since we've had them making jokes like "this place is whiter then the oscars".
I dont think it'd go over well. Double standards.

AmazonWarehouse
Nobody cares what actors think. Or let me reiterate: few people care what actors think. The rest live their lives accordingly. If actors boycott basketball, they'll be laughed at and then ignored. The reason the whole Oscars fiasco isn't really is a fiasco is because most people don't care about the Oscars. Let these idiots grab headlines but at the end of the day, the Oscar barely makes a dent in the ratings anymore.

Slay

Because, as we all know, the winners of the NBA Championship are decided by a jury mostly comprised of black men.

riv6672
^^^ -spit take- laughing !!!

Trocity

The most ridiculous one is when people say there aren't enough black quarterbacks, therefore it must be because they are judged more harshly or treated unfairly.

Not because, say, blacks gravitate to other, more athletic positions, like running back or receiver. They are typically better at and dominate those positions, and whites are typically better at and dominate the quarterback position. Not always, but typically.

No one complains that we need more white receivers and running backs. Just a silly argument.

Omega Vision
So, I'm probably the only person here who actually has even a slight understanding of how the publishing industry works (I could be wrong, though, I can't necessarily assume what other people do or don't know).

This is actually a major concern. The publishing industry doesn't represent the writing world it claims to represent, there's much more diversity in writers than there is in publishers, and this shows sometimes in who gets selected for what prizes, who's book gets published, etc. I'm saying this as a member of the group who has a leg up, by the by (white guys).

I don't think the publishing industry is racist, but it does need more diversity, if for no other reason than diversity breeds more diverse and interesting literature.

Surtur
Originally posted by Slay
Because, as we all know, the winners of the NBA Championship are decided by a jury mostly comprised of black men.

This was a pretty good deflection, but it doesn't take away from my point though. You see it doesn't matter who is deciding to hire black players, it could be the whitest dude ever. It could be Powder, you remember Powder right man?

Slay
This was a pretty good deflection, but it doesn't take away from my point though. You see it doesn't matter who is deciding to hire black players, it could be the whitest dude ever. It could be Powder, you remember Powder right man?
It's not a deflection, your initial post comparing the NBA to the Oscars was a text-book example of one though.

The point is that basketball is a sport/business that offers measurable objectives for players to achieve in order to evaluate their performance. It just so happens to be that it's mostly black men that manage to achieve/exceed these objectives. Their race in itself doesn't factor into the results they get. There's no NBA team that has ever drafted a player ''because he's black''. They look at their college career, results from the past etc. Really these worlds are so vastly different that making this comparison is nothing short of asinine.

Meanwhile, in Hollywood white actors get hired to play characters of other races. The jury that awards the Oscars is mostly comprised of white men and they mostly reward other white men. This has nowt to do with white people's acting abilities being inherently superior to those of people from other races. It has to do with white men being able to identify more with other white men and therefore awarding them a disproportionate amount more than people of other races. No-one is saying this is intentional or hateful racism. But it is racism nonetheless as it's denying actors of other races of receiving the same recognition as white actors. The Oscars themselves have acknowledged the problem and have said they will take action to improve this in the future.

Surtur
The point is though that 75% of the players are of just one race. Why is this? Just because black people are better at basketball?

Also nobody actually said there wasn't a problem with the oscars. You see a lot of people didn't whine about the oscar committee itself and it being all white, they just all around whined because there weren't enough black people. I'm not saying eventually the stuff about the whiteness of the committee itself didn't come out. But you have to also acknowledge there were people upset over just "not enough black people" as opposed to "well gee there is some unintentional racism going on and it has to the with the committee's and the lack of diversity on them, etc". Thus that is why I feel the NBA example isn't necessarily 100% out of place.

I'll also ask you what I asked others when this first came up: who should of been removed from the oscars? In terms of which actors didn't deserve it and had other black actors more deserving?

Surtur
Originally posted by Omega Vision
So, I'm probably the only person here who actually has even a slight understanding of how the publishing industry works (I could be wrong, though, I can't necessarily assume what other people do or don't know).

This is actually a major concern. The publishing industry doesn't represent the writing world it claims to represent, there's much more diversity in writers than there is in publishers, and this shows sometimes in who gets selected for what prizes, who's book gets published, etc. I'm saying this as a member of the group who has a leg up, by the by (white guys).

I don't think the publishing industry is racist, but it does need more diversity, if for no other reason than diversity breeds more diverse and interesting literature.

It says it's straight white females. Sounds just as much sexist as it would be racist, right?

You also say diversity breed's more interesting literature. Okay that sounds like it makes sense. Since you are in the business is interesting literature as of now..in a decline?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.