Mantis vs. Gamora

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StiltmanFTW
Pure hth.

No weapons.

Who wins?

riv6672
I'll start things off.
Mantis for the majority. Personal opinion.

Lets get these out of the way, too.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11121/111214034/4395516-mantis_drops_thor.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/56237/1051604-gamora_owns_thanos.jpg

cdtm
Mantis wins. She's the closest thing Marvel has to a Val Armorr.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by cdtm
Mantis wins. She's the closest thing Marvel has to a Val Armorr.

Val, what a gay ass shit character. Anyway, Gamora.

cdtm
Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
Val, what a gay ass shit character. Anyway, Gamora.

Tell us how you really feel, Blue. stick out tongue

Mantis is much too fast for Gamora. She sprinted across a field to tackle someone out of the way of a rifle, AFTER it was discharged. And Dr. Strange even cited using one of her skills to track and hit a herald of galactus..

StiltmanFTW
She's the closest thing Marvel has to a Val Armorr.

Stop.

Moondragon has bested her.

And knocking out Thor is not *that* awesome.

cdtm
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Stop.

Moondragon has bested her.

And knocking out Thor is not *that* awesome.

Never!

If knocking out Thor isn't impressive enough, riding Thanos's energy wave certainly is.

StiltmanFTW
Never!

If knocking out Thor isn't impressive enough, riding Thanos's energy wave certainly is.

Wow, she did ride it?

Scans? Or +18/21?

riv6672
Is energy wave code for something x rated? huh

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by riv6672

No doubt.

Probably DAP.

Stoic
Gamora

cdtm
Wow, she did ride it?

Scans? Or +18/21?

Two problems.

1. At work, on a cell phone.

2. I don't actually have the comic, and Google is failing me (Or maybe my skills just suck). The only thing i keep getting is their mindscape fight..

I "think" it's part of Celestial Quest. I know for a fact is happened someplace, because it cost my boy Danny Rand a match (Chi spam is no good vs someone who can surf on energy).

Once I get to a laptop, I can try digging around, because I'd like to see that scan again myself. smile

riv6672
Sounds cool.

tkitna
Moondragon beating Mantis crushed any credibility she once had. Gamora is one of my favorite characters, but she's all over the place feat wise.

Giving this to Mantis

HulkIsHulk
Gamora just recently lost to Bucky. Neither are now anywhere close to their classic levels

riv6672
Who's taken the Bucky mantle?

cdtm
Bucky? laughing out loud

There better be a plot reason, otherwise that's much worse then Spiderman vs Firelord, considering Gamora could legitamately fight Firelord..

Blue Area Vet
Tell us how you really feel, Blue. stick out tongue

Mantis is much too fast for Gamora. She sprinted across a field to tackle someone out of the way of a rifle, AFTER it was discharged. And Dr. Strange even cited using one of her skills to track and hit a herald of galactus..

Gatorade showed similar speed in her match with Ronan.

Blue Area Vet
Wow, she did ride it?

Scans? Or +18/21?

Troll shit ^

Blue Area Vet

In Slitmans mind, prolly.

leonidas
i always had the impression gamora was the better h2h combatant between her and moondragon in their time with the infinity watch. moondragon has beaten mantis in a straight 1on1 battle so i don't really see her beating gamora though it would likely be pretty close and i don't think she would sweep.

tkitna
Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
Gamora just recently lost to Bucky. Neither are now anywhere close to their classic levels

See what I mean about Gamora? She goes from throwing hands with the likes of Thanos and Ronan to losing to Bucky.

What book was it by the way?

HulkIsHulk
Originally posted by tkitna
See what I mean about Gamora? She goes from throwing hands with the likes of Thanos and Ronan to losing to Bucky.

Original Sin 4 IRRC. I might be mis-remembering as well. I haven't read the book, just seen the scans floating around so I dunno if there's any context liek Bucky being amped or her being weakened

cdtm
Originally posted by leonidas
i always had the impression gamora was the better h2h combatant between her and moondragon in their time with the infinity watch. moondragon has beaten mantis in a straight 1on1 battle so i don't really see her beating gamora though it would likely be pretty close and i don't think she would sweep.

Well, Mantis is usually more about the "Celestial Madonna" space hippie thing, while Gamora's a warrior first. So it makes sense to have Gamora take point as the resident Red Sonya badass.

riv6672
^^^good point.

StiltmanFTW

She lost to Wolverine, too.

Nightcrawler gave her a run for her money, too.

She's always been overrated. Sparring with "daddy" Thanos doesn't count that much. Ronan? Lol, that guy's been one-shotted by U.S. Agent of all people.

riv6672
Bucky? laughing out loud

There better be a plot reason, otherwise that's much worse then Spiderman vs Firelord, considering Gamora could legitamately fight Firelord..
Seriously, whi's running around as Bucky now?

leonidas
she never 'lost' to bucky at all... and at around the same time she stayed even for a long battle with angela, so....yeah. her h2h skills DO get overrated at times, but so do mantis's and...pretty well every other ma in both marvel and dc. gamora is very skilled (close at least to mantis), vastly stronger and has a crazy healing factor. those are enough advantages imo to give her the win here, though it isn't impossible for mantis to win by any stretch.

StiltmanFTW
Bucky is a pretty damn formidable fighter.

Since his return (thanks to Bru), he's been an absolute beast, quickly establishing himself as one of the best fighters/martial artists in the MU...

It was even stated that he was trained by the same guys who trained Steve.

Blue Area Vet
Bucky is a pretty damn formidable fighter.

Since his return (thanks to Bru), he's been an absolute beast, quickly establishing himself as one of the best fighters/martial artists in the MU...

It was even stated that he was trained by the same guys who trained Steve.

That's nice, Gamora should curb stomp him.

StiltmanFTW
Like she stomped Kurt?

Get real.

tkitna
She lost to Wolverine, too.

Nightcrawler gave her a run for her money, too.

She's always been overrated. Sparring with "daddy" Thanos doesn't count that much. Ronan? Lol, that guy's been one-shotted by U.S. Agent of all people.

In all fairness, she was hanging with Wolverine until she got distracted. I'm unaware of her fight with Kurt.

Ronan has his ups and downs too, but I still think that's a pretty good feat for her. She's also done good against Dumb Drax and even took the Thing out with a nerve strike (pretty durable guy). Oh well, like I said, she's all over the place.

StiltmanFTW
In all fairness, she was hanging with Wolverine until she got distracted. I'm unaware of her fight with Kurt.

Ronan has his ups and downs too, but I still think that's a pretty good feat for her. She's also done good against Dumb Drax and even took the Thing out with a nerve strike (pretty durable guy). Oh well, like I said, she's all over the place.

Yes. Before the distraction, it was a stalemate.

Her fight with Kurt is even more recent than vs. Bucky. Oh, she also got humiliated by She-Hulk... but I believe Gamora was sick/drugged then or something, so doesn't count.

Gamora had plenty of crazy feats, just not against skilled opponents. Sans her short encounter with Wolvie.

tkitna
Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
Original Sin 4 IRRC. I might be mis-remembering as well. I haven't read the book, just seen the scans floating around so I dunno if there's any context liek Bucky being amped or her being weakened

Just read the issue. Bucky never even hit her. If that fight were to continue, she probably would have killed him. I know you said you haven't read it in a long time, but she did not lose to Bucky.

riv6672
Is Bucky a time travel character?

StiltmanFTW
Just read the issue. Bucky never even hit her. If that fight were to continue, she probably would have killed him. I know you said you haven't read it in a long time, but she did not lose to Bucky.

He had one hand busy and didn't want to fight, lol.

Gamora was going all out. That's the thing.

But yeah, she didn't lose. As soon as she realized Buck was carrying LMD's head, they stopped.

tkitna
He had one hand busy and didn't want to fight, lol.

Gamora was going all out. That's the thing.

But yeah, she didn't lose. As soon as she realized Buck was carrying LMD's head, they stopped.

It wasn't much of a fight anyways, but he did try to hit her with the LMD head, she ducked and then he blocked a sword strike with the head. That's about the extent of that fight. laughing out loud

Anyways, not important either way to me Stilt. Just making conversation. Peace.

StiltmanFTW
You have the full scene on hand?

Oh, and this happened, too:

http://s24.postimg.org/nzn3bo5vp/013.jpg

riv6672
If thats Storm, then thats hella embarrassing.

Now, who's the new Bucky dammit?

StiltmanFTW
If thats Storm, then thats hella embarrassing.

It's Storm. And amped Black Vortex Gamora.

Storm is very skilled, though - remember her showings against Ursa Major, Cyclops, Crimson Commando, Forge's artificial "mutants" and Black Panther.

Now, who's the new Bucky dammit?

Managing to survive a few moments against Gamora is well within Bucky's abilities.

riv6672
It's Storm. And amped Black Vortex Gamora.

Storm is very skilled, though - remember her showings against Ursa Major, Cyclops, Crimson Commando, Forge's artificial "mutants" and Black Panther.
I give you she can fight, but, she shouldnt be able to touch Gamora's supposed skill level.

Managing to survive a few moments against Gamora is well within Bucky's abilities.
I'm asking WHO Bucky is, as Bucky Barnes is Winter Soldier, and in the new Thunderbolts.
Is it frikin' Rick Jones again?!? Thought he was A Bomb (unless that was retconned which i'd be ok with as i found that stupid.).

basilisk

Ronan has his ups and downs too, but I still think that's a pretty good feat for her. She's also done good against Dumb Drax and even took the Thing out with a nerve strike (pretty durable guy). Oh well, like I said, she's all over the place. But also remember in fairness that Thing was only got hit because Sasquatch was holding him - Gamora actually stated she couldn't have got past his fists otherwise.

Anyway Gamora > Moondragon > Mantis.

Mantis actually gotten stalemated a number of times and was beaten by Champion and humiliated by Moondragon. I always thought classic Gamora was a bit above Moondragon.

riv6672
Not if Storm is hanging with her. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by basilisk
But also remember in fairness that Thing was only got hit because Sasquatch was holding him - Gamora actually stated she couldn't have got past his fists otherwise.

Anyway Gamora > Moondragon > Mantis.

Mantis actually gotten stalemated a number of times and was beaten by Champion and humiliated by Moondragon. I always thought classic Gamora was a bit above Moondragon.

Physically, not even close. Moondragon would have lasted 30 second if she was luck vs Ronan.

Blue Area Vet

Dude, it's the writers in the MCU era. They dumbed her down to make her more palatable and movie friendly.

tkitna
You have the full scene on hand?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/AOkp8Znf_skHLk6aXbG-RTWan88tFNPDhuOPavCtIJDh-GrD7emCzLA206_gwy4tb5_m5VAPQ7sF=s16000
http://readcomiconline.me/Comic/Original-Sin/Issue-4?id=14521#20
http://readcomiconline.me/Comic/Original-Sin/Issue-4?id=14521#21
http://readcomiconline.me/Comic/Original-Sin/Issue-4?id=14521#22

You were right though, Bucky had both hands full and didn't want to fight her, but I still think she beats him if they did go full tilt. No big deal either way though.

tkitna
Originally posted by basilisk
But also remember in fairness that Thing was only got hit because Sasquatch was holding him - Gamora actually stated she couldn't have got past his fists otherwise.

I was more surprised that the nerve strike even worked on the Thing.

leonidas
yeah, but to some, that translates to her 'losing' to bucky. laughing out loud

riv6672
He does have a thick skin.

HulkIsHulk
He does have a thick skin.
Yeah, here's the scene. It was during the Infinity Crusade IRRC:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/31337/850586-thingew8.jpg
In the same series, she also oneshotted Rage:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/31337/850585-rageoneshotcm0.jpg

basilisk
Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
Physically, not even close. Moondragon would have lasted 30 second if she was luck vs Ronan. Oh yeah, but I meant just in terms of H2H I think Gamora is a bit ahead of Moondragon who is ahead of Mantis. Physically yes, Gamora was well above MD.

He does have a thick skin. The other interesting thing here is that Moondragon once attempted similar nerve strikes on Thing but failed to do anything, and Thing claimed a guy with his skin doesn't have weak spots she can get to - leading to the infamous Thing puts Moondragon on his knee and spanks her scene.

riv6672
Ah, a classic scene.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.