Should we limit our presidents to a single term?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
In America most of the time we will have a president that serves two terms. It doesn't happen all the time, but a majority of the time it does. I wonder perhaps if this is truly for the best?

I was watching the CNN series "The Seventies"(which is on netflix right now) and in the episode about Vietnam they talked about how the NVA were willing to negotiate, but were also utterly unwilling to budge on a few points..mainly that we needed to overthrow the government of South Vietnam. Which of course we weren't going to do. I mean come on guys we don't overthrow the leaders of other countries wink

No but seriously, it then talked about how as the 1972 presidential election got closer and closer the NVA seemed to be more willing to budge on some things. One reason attributed to this is they were convinced Richard Nixon would win the election and that once he didn't have to worry about re-election anymore he'd be able to perhaps behave in ways he wanted to before, but in which he held back in the past because he was maybe concerned how these choices might effect his chances of a 2nd term.

So it pretty much makes me wonder if presidents in the past and even the present might of..held back so to speak on doing everything they wanted to do. Not because they felt it was wrong, but because they were worried they wouldn't get a 2nd term. If we permanently removed this worry for every president in the future, do you think it would be good or bad?

I was thinking what if we made it so you can only ever serve one term as president, but we extend the terms from 4 to 6 years? So each president would have 6 years to do whatever they can for this country..and they'd have it without the added burden of worrying about how their decisions might make it so they won't get another term.

tru-marvell
This is an idea I have always (as an adult) championed. Even and especially for members of congress. The amount of time and money wasted on re-election is wasteful in the extreme imo. Not to mention the "self serving" reason you stated.
So yeah I like the extended office term but for only 1 term.
Of course this could mean a much more volatile over all national perspective...

Stigma
I agree. Especially with the campaig for the 2nd term influencing their politics.

They should get a 5-6 years long term and then off they go.

Flyattractor
But then we would have to go thru this election bullcrap more often!!!!!!?????

Stigma
Originally posted by Flyattractor
But then we would have to go thru this election bullcrap more often!!!!!!?????
Well, no

If presidents are limited to one, 6 year long term then in 12 years you'd have 2 presidential elections

With current system, in 12 years you have 3 presidential elecions.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Stigma
Well, no

If presidents are limited to one, 6 year long term then in 12 years you'd have 2 presidential elections

With current system, in 12 years you have 3 presidential elecions.

Then THIS I agree with.

Nuke Nixon
Make Presidents for life like Supreme Court Justices, but have an option to assassinate them if they screw the pooch too hard, that's their motivation to be a good leader.

riv6672
One 6 year term seems pretty reasonable.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.