How did Dooku and Sidious avoid senescence?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kurk
I need to know the answer. Don't just say "the force".

Trocity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CTJEZXtr94

FreshestSlice
Yes.

Kurk
Originally posted by Trocity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CTJEZXtr94
Does not answer the question

FreshestSlice
I'm pretty sure it did. If not the Dark Tower avatar most certainly did.

Syndicate
I didn't know you were into the DT series Troc.

Trocity
thumb up

It's probably among my top 3 favorite book series.

Syndicate
Read the Wheel of Time?

Trocity
I've read a few of them but I never really got into the series fully. I might reread the ones I read when I was younger and finish them all though, I've been trying to find a new fantasy series to read.

What sorts of books do you typically read? Malazan Book of the Fallen is the best fantasy series ever written imo. ASOIAF is up there too.

Those and DT are probably my three favorite book series'.

Syndicate
Originally posted by Trocity
I've read a few of them but I never really got into the series fully. I might reread the ones I read when I was younger and finish them all though, I've been trying to find a new fantasy series to read.

What sorts of books do you typically read? Malazan Book of the Fallen is the best fantasy series ever written imo. ASOIAF is up there too.

Those and DT are probably my three favorite book series'.

It's one of my favorite series. While it's over detailed at times it's well worth reading up till the last 3 books which are written by a different author due to the death of the original.

Fantasy/Scifi generally. Never read that series. Is it at B&N?

Wheel of Time, DT and the Belgariad/Mallorean are mine.

Darth Abonis
Keeping an active mind. My uncle is 81, and his mind is still sharper than mine. They are so busy reading data and plotting stuff during the Clone Wars, it probably is a stimulant. Also, speaking of stimulants, Star Wars is a (usually) advanced technological society. They probably have eradicated senescence in old people.

FreshestSlice
They have not, but what you're talking about is senility not senescence anyway; both still exist in Star Wars.

Anyway, the real reason is Dooku and Sidious have magical powers that let them have complete control over their bodily functions consciously. Not really much more to it.

EmperorSidious2
Originally posted by Kurk
I need to know the answer. Don't just say "the force".

Well going through Jedi and sith training they did excericese a lot and ate healthy so that's part of it. The rest is the force. I think it says in ROTJ that Sidious was well beyond his years and he used the force to sustain him.

Kurk
Senility and Senescence kind of go together in my book; that being said, I can't wait to go the gym regularly next year once college comes around.
I alright eat healthy and keep my mind active but spend too much time on KMC sitting at a desk sad

JKBart
I avoid sensations by avoiding hot sauce

Beniboybling
How indeed? I would really like to know how Palpatine maintained such a youthful complexion:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/d8/Emperor_Sidious.png

Barely a day over 85, who would have guessed?

ILS
The Force

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Beniboybling
How indeed? I would really like to know how Palpatine maintained such a youthful complexion:

laughing out loud

Kurk
Originally posted by Beniboybling

Regardless of his face, the man would die if you removed all the midichlorians from his blood.
Dooku was about the same age at his death yet was considered to be in better shape than men half his age.

Beniboybling
Nah those skin folds are the secret, what you need is a good face scrub.

FreshestSlice
Senility and Senescence kind of go together in my book; that being said, I can't wait to go the gym regularly next year once college comes around.
I alright eat healthy and keep my mind active but spend too much time on KMC sitting at a desk sad
They do not. You will always age, but not everyone goes senile. They aren't the same thing.

Kurk
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
They do not. You will always age, but not everyone goes senile. They aren't the same thing.
No I mean from a biological standpoint. How does Sidious alter his body cells to keep dividing even after senescence. You can't just grow back the telomeres.

The cause of mental senility like dementia is because of cellular senescence.

DarthAnt66
It's fiction.

Kurk
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
It's fiction.
*science fiction*
wink

FreshestSlice
The cause of mental senility like dementia is because of cellular senescence.
That doesn't make them the same thing. Senility isn't an inevitability. Aging is.

And no. Star Wars is not Sci-Fi. It's science fantasy.

DarthAnt66
Eh, more like space fantasy. Whatever the case, it's well distanced from Earth logic.

Kurk
On a side note, would Sidious have eventually died from old age like Yoda? Or was Yoda not prolonging life with the force? Would Sidious live indefinitely in his original body (don't bring up clones) or would his organs fail him?

DarthAnt66
Obviously he would have died, hence why he needed clones and Sith are obsessed with mortality. erm

Kurk
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Obviously he would have died, hence why he needed clones and Sith are obsessed with mortality. erm
I thought Sidious was so powerful that he could sustain life through the force (Tragedy of Plagueis?).

Hey, I'm obsessed with mortality too! Does that make me a sith?

FreshestSlice
No. You're just disgustingly stupid is all.

Kurk
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
No. You're just disgustingly stupid is all.
Was going to post a meme but I failed miserably sad

Trocity
Originally posted by Syndicate
It's one of my favorite series. While it's over detailed at times it's well worth reading up till the last 3 books which are written by a different author due to the death of the original.

Fantasy/Scifi generally. Never read that series. Is it at B&N?

Wheel of Time, DT and the Belgariad/Mallorean are mine.

Sounds good, I'll pick up the first few from the library near my place and give it another go thumb up

I believe it is yes, I got all mine from Chapters but they should be at B&N.

I hadn't heard of the last series you mentioned. I googled it and it seems like it could be interesting. Thanks smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.